Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Daylilies: Hybridize Daylily Seeds

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 11, Views: 127
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Roseman2
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9291996

I know there are many ways & the time to hybridize daylily seeds but some are hard to get to take pollen, I know many of you will post the way you set pollen but some are very difficult no matter what you do but I had a hybridizer give me a hint on how to make it easy. On the very hot days they told me after I polinate a daylily to pull off the peddles & it will & the plant will stay cooler & make it easy to polinate. Anyone else have any tips that will help others.??
tink3472
(Michele) Cantonment, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9296377

I have actually been told the opposite, to leave the petals on so it will help shade the pistil and keep the pollen from cooking in the heat.

Also, if a Tet is reluctant to pollinate then dab it with Dip pollen to help get it in the mood. The pod that forms from the Dip pollen will abort in a few weeks.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9297425

Ill be darned, I never knew a pod would form at all. That explains some experiences Ive had then.

Ive never heard of pulling off the petals. Hard to make sense of that.
NC_Daylily
Wake Forest, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9302444

The only time I have heard of petal destruction is when the hybridizer wants to remove the bloom to put in the refrigerator or to show visitors the bloom off scape. You can use a fingernail or cutting item to etch around the perianth tube/bloom base and then pull of the petals, sepals, and stamens; leaving only the pistle so that you can still set a pod on it.

I can see doing this if you need to measure the ratio of a spider daylily since you need to take the bloom apart. This would allow you to do so, but also allow you to hybridize that bloom.

However, believing that ripping petals off will help in pod setting is just a little... well...different?

~Bobby
Roseman2
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9302829

Bobby.. I had a hybridizer that sells hundreds of seeds on the lily auction tell me about pulling off the petals but he might be pulling my leg.
NC_Daylily
Wake Forest, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9302976

Beware of petal pullers lol :)
hemlady
Melvindale, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9302987

Never heard of it myself.
Roseman2
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9303396

I also had 2 very well known hybridizers tell me that if they have a daylily that is not ready to take pollen to take a pistal from another that is ready & put the sticky stuff on the one you want to polenate & it will take the pollen & you will get seeds. They told me if one is not ready you can also rub the pollen on it & as soon as it's ready it will accept the pollen if you put enough pollen on it. Just something to think about.
tink3472
(Michele) Cantonment, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9303475

That's what I do with all my daylilies. I don't wait till they are ready, I just dab pollen on everything in the early morning whether they are sticky or not.
Roseman2
Des Moines, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9303754

Thanks Michele. Thats a good idea & that way I won't have to use another pistal.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9303805

I put all my pollen on in the am too, well, if I can. Heck, I never even knew they had to get ready. I wait till the pollen fluffs a bit, but never thought about the pistal. Now that you mention it, sometimes it does seem a bit stickier than others.
Casshigh
Cartersville, GA

October 19, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9309707

Pulling/cutting off petals has been mentioned as a way to discourage bees and other insects from being attracted to the bloom and repollenating it. I guess that could maybe "override" the pollen we dabbed. Of course, be careful not to clip the pistil. Some FL hybridizers supposedly have move of their best potted daylilies into the shade or even into AC when it's hot, I've heard. One of our friends shaded one he with which was working by using a beach umbrella to keep it cooler. It seems ironic that temperatures in which peak bloom occurs is often too hot for seeds to set. I've read estimates of time in which it takes pollen to travel down the tube from 15 seconds to a half hour or more.
David

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America