Photo by Melody

Sewing and Quilting: Dresden Plates Samplers, Continuing FUN!!!

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 223, Views: 1,055
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9292203

Thought I'd give you all a new thread, you are approaching the deadly 200 mark!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 1, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9292259

Thanks Pat. I'll be back home tomorrow, had a great time in TN of course even if it was a quick trip.

Jaye, those plates are soooo beautiful.

Anyone who needs more time on their plates can put me on the bottom of the list. I'll be using mine on Christmas tree skirts but they are for put away gifts for grands. All the current marrieds have one and I'm just working ahead now to be sure I get one made for each of the grands coming up.

I'm so glad everyone seems to be enjoying this swap.

Pat when you get some time, I'll be happy to swap plates with you if you want.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9292283

Me too Pat, would love to make one in pinks and black, or what ever color you want.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9292302

i'd love to see a pic of the plate.

Anyone who does'nt have time to make my red and white can be off the hook of making it or send later as I can't finish the project anyway as some are in my Fl home. I am making a quilt with them. i mean an exchange is meant to be fun and not stress. We all have so much going on...

I am using off=white for my background. Jay asked the ? as to what color to use.
ay love the blue and white and black and white and the christmas ones. yes all very addictive.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9292308

Great! Just might take you up on that but I likely would say Christmas/Winter in Red White and BLUE!! I know, I know... why am I difficult??? I used to tell my poor mother "I want JUST like this EXCEPT..." and she was one of those "by the book, just like it says" kind of people and I never have been. Can't you just see the center's done with a big snowflake print??? I have several blue print winter & several R/W/B that I am HOPING someday to get made into throws.

Karen & Linda, what colors were you looking for?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 1, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9292374

I want Christmas fabrics Pat, I do believe I have Christmas/winter in RWB.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9292394

Blue and white.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9292395

While I am finishing up mine, I will add one for you also Pat.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9292484

I'll make one for you too Pat. Christmas in red white and blue? Is that what you wanted?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9292501

Jaye I just got the two plates from you and I just love them - but why two??? I still don't know what I'm going to use for a background...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9292537

Jay thank you for my plate arrived today. Very bright and beautyful.

folder preserved the block looks freshly pressed

This message was edited Oct 1, 2012 4:20 PM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9292550

Wow, you have been a chatty bunch today.

Jaye - got you lovely block today.

I'll be mostly out of the loop till 12 Oct. DH will be here to bring mail in but I won't be here to open it. I'll be borrowing my friend's computer so no sure how much I'll be on-line.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9292551

Me too, Me too!!! Got my Fall dresden from Jaye! Such a good idea on using a folder for putting the plates in! Next time we swap, I'll just use it and send it back! Why didn't I think of that???? LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9292703

Yes, either winter or Christmas (snowmen, snow flakes etc) in Red/ White/ Blue. YIKES, I'm going to have several plates to make up if this keeps up!!!

We have gotten so much done today... and still working on the list. We recycled/cut up old jeans into circles in preparation for making those circle jean block quilts that make up like a mock catherdal window. I'll see if I can find a link to post.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9292733

Robin, I got your block. Charming!! I love it!

Barb, glad you got them.
A special thank you for helping me out with Sue's blocks. Truly appreciate your time.

When Jean sent her DP, she had specified on the envelope, not to bend.. or something like that. I remember too someone saying (was it Karen) that sometimes contents in the envelopes can be easily destroyed. Hence the folders, to keep them flat and protected.

This is Helene's DP.

Thumbnail by heavenscape
Click the image for an enlarged view.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9292737

Kathy Kiz.. an Oriental Fall DP

Thumbnail by heavenscape

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9292750

All of the plates you made are soooo pretty Jaye. I love your eye for what fabrics go with other fabrics. You always make the right choice!!!!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9292761

Sometimes I have trouble picking them out Barb. When in doubt, I just close one eye, make a fist with the right hand and look through it at the fabrics spread out. That tunnel vision sure helps block out other "noises". Learnt that from my first quilting teacher.
Or you could use your phone camera.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9292871

nice oriental flavor, Jaye! That's funny that you mentioned the 'look thru the fist' idea... I was just thinking on that same line this weekend when we were taking pictures at the steam engine show. It's amazing what you see when your focus is on a smaller area, just like when you sit under the kitchen table and look out into the room- you see what a child sees, not the dust bunnies, though! LOL
I take quilt pics with my cell phone camera, send to my email, then open up and look... gives me an idea whether I need to change colors or rearrange blocks

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9293060

all beautiful blocks Jaye, love mine :)

Mine are all done!!! I sewed most of the day. on and off

some of my plates, they are up on the design wall. Waylon says he likes the black and white snowflakes!!!

and fabric I am using for my center.

Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9293063

and of course I had to try out this color combo :)

may make a pillow cover?? or a little wall hanging??

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9293072

group shot of blocks going into the mail tomorrow...

I have individual shots if anybody wants to see theirs closer-up??

Doc, they really REALLY are quite easy to do!!!

I will definitely be doing a large plate, for my sisters round oak table...she loves Christmas.

Thumbnail by barefootT

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9293338

Thunder, those are so pretty!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 2, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9293377

Pat my mother was also a "by the book" person. Everything she cooked and no matter how many times she made it, she always went exactly by the recipe. Now her mom, my grandmother...was a free spirit. I don't think she ever made anything just how it was directed. Every pattern, every recipe had a bit of her personal touch, and I doubt she ever made things the same way twice.
Every baby in our family came home in a tiny sweater set she always made, it would only fit a newborn and only for a couple months, but we treasured them. After she was gone, I wanted to make them, I finally found a similar pattern and by sitting with the few we had left, counting stitches and making notes, I managed to come up with a close pattern. Now our babies still come home in the tiny sweater, bonnet and booties. Old fashioned I know, but I'm big on tradition. Plus I miss her so much that I feel it helps me to keep her by me a bit.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9293442

Karen, such a wonderful way to bring a newborn home! Old Fashioned or tradition needs to come back again, IMHO. I made afghans for both of my granddaughters with the crochet hook my MIL used to make their dad's baby afghan. So I guess I fit into that category.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 2, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9293449

You surely do Marion, my grandmother has been gone over 31 years and I still get the thought of calling to tell her something I know she would enjoy. She died just before I became a grandmother for the first time. She was one of the most important people in my life, one I totally knew loved me.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 2, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9293451

You both are bringing me down memory lane..I also keep with traditions and hopefully family will continue to do so as well.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9293490

beautiful memories. bring tears to my eyes.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 2, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9293593

One of our traditions, since 1991 is to gather and put a Christmas tree ornament on the tree in memory of Roger..grandchildren never got to meet DH but we speak of Christmas's gone by and they learn more about their grandfather..he was 47 when he passed on.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 2, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9293596

We always dressed as Mr. & Mrs. Santa, Christmas eve we would visit the homes of friends, go to the bedrooms so parents could take photo's of us leaning over their beds..Jeff has our costumes and a few years ago I made costumes for Roger's sister Suzanne and her hubby Lenny to do same..hope this will continue through the next few generations.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9293651

That is an awesome tradition, I pray they keep it going!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9293661

on that note. The house I am staying in here in NJ, my DD house. 15 years ago when we came to look at the house it was so totally decorated with Santas. Quilted santa wallhanging and santas every where. Came to learn that the woman (a teacher) dressed as Santa every year and visited kinder garten and lower classes in the schools in surrounding towns. How nice! thought i'd share.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 2, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9293675

We've had so many children as they grew come up to us and said for those years, seeing Santa holding their hand while they slept made them believe there really was a santa while other children lost faith..many still have the photo's

The french tradition I grew up in had our big meal after Midnight mass, then Santa would come to give out the gifts..often wondered why my dad was never there with us??? hmmm

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9293695

lovely costumes, Betty! So nice for the tradition to be continued... I worked with a lady once that did the same around the hometown areas. She and her husband looked so much like the Mr/Mrs Santa WITHOUT their costumes (white/grey hair, round cheeks, his long white beard and hair) that it was unreal. They were both lovely people, inside and out, year 'round.
Helene, I bet the house was wonderful, all decorated in Santas. Especially if it was cold and snowy outside! We never had a Santa come to our house, only to Church on Christmas Eve after the Service.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9293713

All this talk about Santas reminds me of an incident that happened when the youngest GD was about 4. We had gone to lunch and there happened to be a gentlemen seated across the isle from our booth that could have been Santa himself. I commented to Catie-Beth that Santa was watching her only to get this reply: "Grandma, everyone knows Santa doesn't have a wallet, he carries huge bags!" The gentlemen heard and cracked up laughing. When he was leaving he leaned over and whispered in my ear "Everyone should know that Grandma!!"

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 2, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9293729

Too funny!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9293740

LOL!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9293746

Your day is coming Kathy. Bestest experience in the world...being a grandma.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 2, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9293750

that it is

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 2, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9293811

During the war years, I was the only grandchild and my mother and I lived with her parents and brothers and sisters while my dad was overseas. My own personal Santa paid me several visits. When I was being naughty, he would be suddenly looking in the window.
When my grands were small I made special Santa suit of the nicest, richest fabrics I could find. My DSIL's father also used it every year for the party at the VFW. It still looks nice even now.

Jaye my plates are here and even more beautiful in person. Thank you so very much.

This message was edited Oct 2, 2012 3:55 PM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9293812

Robyn, I got your plates today, Thanks so much they are so pretty!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9293841

I got mine from Robyn too. It is lovely. Thank you so much...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9293843

these were through out the house. memorable was the shoe maker.
next to garage is the laundry then it was not heated- many cookie tins filled with various baked goods were waiting for the hollidays. I said to DD just like my house...
.http://www.bronners.com/product/biker-claus-fabrich%C3%A9.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 2, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9293882

Ohhh we'll be in Bonners a week Saturday..
Couldn't access the link.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9294019

I got a lovely plate from Robin too :)

I find it hard to believe...I have not received any fabric repeats...lots of great B & W designs out there !!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9294161

http://www.bronners.com/product/biker-claus-fabriché.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn
Try this one Betty! Love this Santa! But not that price!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2012
3:07 AM

Post #9294376

Thanks LindaKay, they said the elves were fixing the site.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9294426

http://www.bronners.com/product/biker-claus-fabriché.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

Wow, wonder why it said that, let's try again!
Well, that does not work either, try going to http://www.bronners.com/, then do a search for biker santa. The 2nd one is what she was trying to show!

This message was edited Oct 3, 2012 7:07 AM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9294431

Here is the picture.

Thumbnail by taters55

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9294543

I didn't mean just the biker, I meant the "fabrique" brand of Santas, That is what this lady collected. Many that she had are retired.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9294547

Adorable LindaKay..with 26 totes of Christmas goodies in storage I think I shouldn't be looking for more..however, on our trip to Bonners I will look for some type of lighted feature for outside..already purchased the unit that makes all the light flicker to the music..make sure I don't purchase anything else please..lol

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9294654

I will say no more purchases as your putting things in your cart!

These are so pretty!

http://www.bronners.com/search.do?query=fabrique

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9294757

I have the gingerbread santa and a few others not shown!

drats, showing my age, think of all the seasonal totes and think why take them out. House should be decorated for Thanksgiving and Halloween and it's not..hanging my head in shame

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9294761

LindaKay, I'll listen to you if you listen to me when we drop in here:

http://www.thefrontporchquiltshop.com/photos.htm

This message was edited Oct 3, 2012 1:54 PM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9294784

Oh, that looks like a lovely place! I think we have a deal! :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9294828

on the main street behind Drury Inn..I will set a budget for Bronners and Fabric Shop, then budget for outlet mall and one for CrackerBarrel..bring extra incase I have to borrow for gas to get home lol

can now say 'next week' we meet up..nice thought
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9294847

Can't wait to get home and see what the mailman has for me! I had my mail held for the two weeks I was gone so there will be Christmas at my house when the mail does come.
We arrived at Harbor Springs, MI this morning and I have already spent too much. They have a lovely glass blower who makes pumpkins in every color and combination. He was working while I was there and I love to watch. I bought a purple pumpkin and one in the colors of Monet...blue, green, reds.
The colors here are beautiful; just a little past peak as some leaves are dropping. Can't believe that all the beautiful colors are here and none in New Hampshire. I am just loving it~

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9294860

janice, you will have to show us your pumpkins please?

Jaye, I got your dresden plate today! Thanks so much!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9294867

Sounds as though the trip is/was a sucess
Nothing like getting envelopes and doing the oooh's and ahhh's
Knowing you you'll have them put into project in no time.

Went and bought supplies to finish my giant dresden plate piece..with it being long weekend am hoping to have it finished..

Can you imagine, went down to $$$ store at lunch and bought Christmas bags/tissue etc.
hard to believe it's that time of year!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9294880

Betty, how long is the Christmas tree runner? How much fabric does it require?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9294903

I'll get the instructions to you that I received when I ordered the large template..I've cut you one out of plexi glass which will do all the sizes and will bring it with me next Friday but will get you yardage prior to that so you can see if you've enough

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9294913

Thanks!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9295450

I have 2 addresses for Robin??? and Helene...Can some one Dmail me and let me know where to send to????

all others have gone out in the mail...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 4, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9295491

LindaKay..yardage here

http://www.nancyziemantv.com/downloads/dresden-holiday-wall-quilt.pdf

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9295509

Thanks Betty.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9295547

dresden in crochet.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9295563

WOW, that is beautiful!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 4, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9295602

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276930/

Link to the last thread in case any one needs it.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9295632

Now I'm worried. I mailed out Robin's on Friday and hoping she'd be getting hers by now.
Robin, please let me know.

No Christmas tradition to share with as I'm the only Christian from a family of Muslims.

Helene, that is so pretty!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 4, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9295656

Thanks also Betty, that will give me an idea on figuring yardages for a tree skirt.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 4, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9295688

I was thinking of making a christmas tree skirt as well..seeing I'm in a sewing mood!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 4, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9295708

I want to change the shape a bit, to an octagon, to give it a more circular shape.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 4, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9295713

you can download instructions for this one..

http://www.nancyzieman.com/blog/quilting-made-easy/november-26-dresden-tree-skirt-first-day-of-12-days-of-christmas-sewing/

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9295819

http://www.quiltmaker.com/content_downloads/QM_A_Little_Pinsive.pdf

dresden plate pin cushion

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 4, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9295821

Pin cushion is just too cute!

I'm anxious to see all your projects done with these dresden plates..

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9295824

I am glad you bought my address situation to my attension, I have recently moved, just changed the address here. No problems if you mailed to my old Crofton address, either my former landlady will hold it for me or it will be forwarded on, may take an extra day or two but I will still get it.

I have mailed all my plates out except for Jeans', I will see her on Sunday I hope.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9295855

Heavenscape, that must make Christmas celebration kind of ackward. I hope you are creating new traditions for yourself and family.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 4, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9295936

That pincushion is indeed cute. I can just see my life filled with Dresden plates. LOL

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9295946

ok, someone help here, doesn't matter whether it's positive or negative... I can see in my head what I want to do, but now that I have it together, I'm thinking the scale is too big. This is supposed to be a baby quilt, but I didn't have a pattern, so I winged it. The blocks are 8" finished, and right now I'm measuring about 33 square. The butterfly's antennae will be hand embroidered later, but now that I I have this much together, I'm not sure whether to finish it or change it. The white space in the center is throwing me off also. The pic that I took the idea from had a large flower and leaves appliqued there, so I thought I'd incorporate heart shapes for the petals and on the outer edge. It's looking more like a wall quilt than a baby quilt...?
I have plenty of scraps cut for a border of 2" 4-patch units from the same prints.. And the main butterfly tails and hearts are like a raspberry pink and a concord grape print, although it looks blue on my screen. The rest of the prints are pastels in pinks, lavendars, greens, yellows and blues..
Anyone have any ideas on what to do now? I'm so over it for tonite at this point, but will have to start again tomorrow. I was hoping to do this for the baby shower...

Thumbnail by Kizmo

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9295959

IMHO the white space won't be so prominent once the antennae are done, will it? I rather like it but you do have to be happy with it. I am sure some more crafty, creative people will come up with some good ideas. That is what is so great this thread and group.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 4, 2012

Post #9295960

I'll tell you, whoever gets this project will be on top of the world..you are quite the designer... wow and double wow

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 4, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9295995

There's nothing that says a quilt can't be square, especially for a baby. if that's your problem. I think it looks darling and definitely like a baby quilt. A border or two and it will be just perfect.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9296006

Betty, I agree, that is beautiful! If you don't want it square, put a border around it, make the sides say 1 inch, and the bottom 3 inches?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9296070

I like it too as a baby quilt and I like LK's suggestion about borders. I think when it is quilted you will be a lot happier with it but even as is I think it is great.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9296116

Kathy Kiz, I agree, it's pretty.
Scalloped or frilly border/edges would be enchanting and will distract or soften the "squareness".

Good Job Kathy!

This message was edited Oct 4, 2012 8:26 PM

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9296170

having a totally square quilt isn't the problem, I rather like it, but it's more that I was concerned the size of the resulting butterflies and the center flower was bigger than should be. Most baby quilts are based on 4,6,8" squares, but with the total design spanning 3 8" blocks, I was starting to think the pattern was overtaking the quilt, sort of like a 'wow' in-your-face butterfly, rather than the 'aawww' size, if that makes sense. The big white square center threw me off trying to come up with a design that didn't overtake the butterflies. First I just cut 4 hearts and arranged in the center, then I made some smaller ones to pull the eyes more to the center of the quilt. Ended up putting some small purple ones in the outer edge, then used 2 sizes of pink ones to make a flower, of sorts.
Here's where I pulled my idea from"
The first pic is the one Sondra made and posted. She said the pattern was from an old McCalls, but I can't find it in the old indexes.
The second pic I was considering a scalloped piano key border...
The third pic I liked the patchwork inner borders and since I had plenty of scrap pieces, thought I could incorporate those into the final quilt. The outer border won't be as wide as the pic, but maybe 4" or so.
This is supposed to be for the new grandbaby, but if I don't get past this roadblock, it won't get finished.
Glad you all like the top so far.. and like you all have suggested, once I get the borders on it, it will all come together.
I also have a quilt that I working on for my niece, it's ready to be quilted, hopefully tomorrow. Instead of the red, black and white, she's getting a blue and yellow rail fence with yellow duckies and red diamonds... LOL Talk about going the opposite direction!!!! It took 4 trips to look for fabric for the backing... I finally stopped a lady in our local Joann's yesterday and asked where she got a piece of blue fabric that she was carrying around. Turns out it was in another Joann's across the river, so I hightailed it over there early this morning and found what I needed - plus some I didn't need!
My part in the baby shower was to bring fabric squares for the guests to decorate/sign/whatever to arrange in a small autograph quilt. No problem, found fabric and markers for that. Then I get a distress call from IN - the girl doing Kristen's shower has a family emergency and can't do the shower... So - in order to calm everyone down, I volunteered to save the day and go down a week ahead of time to take over.
2 baby quilts and a baby shower to save - all in the next few weeks. No wonder I'm brain dead...

Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo      

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 4, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9296243

I really like the scalloped piano key border. Actually they are all pretty. What ever you decide on will be loverly and well loved, so jump over the road block and follow your heart.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9296254

well KIZ... your design is absolutely fantastic !!!!

add some kind of scrappy border and WOW...

are Ya gonna share the pattern when you get it all worked out?????

every single quilt I have ever done...I have always gotten to a "spot" where I said to myself... Yuck, what was I thinking??? but continued on and I always love 'em in the end !!!

you go girl !!!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9296260

Did I say I got Robins plate??? and Jayes ?? both are beautiful. I am hoping to find a perfect shade of grey for my background...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #9296291

WOW Kathy, those are all great!!! I REALLY like what you have done and look forward to a picture of your completed project. Some good pictures for inspirations!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2012
4:05 AM

Post #9296380

Thunder - check into Robert Kaufman's Fusion fabrics. They have some great greys!!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9296401

Thanks everyone for the boost... back to it today! I think I just tried to cram too many things into one day yesterday and Bella's quilt was last project I worked on. Got to figure out how to quilt the other one today, too. Fortunately, I made veggie soup yesterday so supper is an easy one tonight...
Back later!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 5, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9296475

busy lady as always..look forward to seeing completed project,

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 5, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9296646

tuned in late today. Received Robin's blco today, beautiful and thank you. Thank you for the pretty note and card.

Kathy, working on one projectt so much gets to you and that is so normal. The quilt is a BEAUTY. Nothing wrong with a quilt that is so beautyful to end up as Wall Hanging.

I opt for the 3rd quilt finish it'll make the inside pop. 2nd picture, your eye makes it all blend. By now you are probably finished. Let us see the end result.

Pink pears is a nice dessert for showers. You take canned pear halves soak them in disolved red hots over night serve them on a lettuce leaf with a cream cheese ball in the center or a cream cheese drizzle. Beautiful presentation and make ahed.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9296779

Thanks Helene! I'm not finished with it, still working on the 4 patch borders, but almost ready to attach. Then another border, simple this time..
back later, soup's on! LOL
Love the pear idea, will have to try that one out!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 5, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9296823

Checking in to see photo's..ok I will be patient.

Went to purchase Thansgiving fixings (this weekend for Canadians) and wasn't there a quilt magazine called 'quilting for chrismas - full of lap top/table runners and wall hangings..the have a large Dresden plate done on a wall hanging with santa's face as the middle insert..too cute..temps me but then so does the Xmas pressie and Christmas tree runners..guess now that I have 4 out of 5 runner finished I can try one or two of those in the book.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 5, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9296959

I have some fabric with Santas that measure about 3"x3", just right for plate centers. The little banner says Merry Christmas. There are yards and yards of this that was given to me so if any one wants some just let me know.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2012 7:50 PM

Thumbnail by siliolegma

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9296974

If no one else steps up, I would love some. PLEASE let others go first!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9297007

Ohhh Karen I would love some :-) if you really have yards and yards???? I think a yard would cover what I would like to do??
will gladly pay for the shipping,

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 5, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9297024

Could I put my hand up?? See it waving?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9297081

I received Robin's beautiful Dresden plate today. Love the colors Robin!!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 5, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9297146

I really do have yards and yards, could be a full bolt. How much do you want Pat? Betty? I can bring yours next week.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9297156

Do NOT fulfill my request until anybody has a chance to speak up, OK? IF there is enough, I'd like 3yards, enough to back a large lap quilt and bind it.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9297255

Robin, I rec'd your DP! Love the touch of metallic you put in there, and I'm with you on those Fall colors!!! Thanks so much!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 6, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9297289

Just out of curiosity, I measured the Santa fabric. I have 14 3/4 yards. One piece is 5 3/4 and the other 9 yards. It was given to me several years ago. I cannot see myself ever needing more than a yard or two.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9297438

Hello from MD!!! Hit the PA quilt shops yesterday with great results.
Found a 9 deg ruler, 18" long on sale for $16 so it followed me home. Other than that I stuck to my shopping list.
Now that I have fabric, I wish I had a sewing machine here with me!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 6, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9297504

You were a good girl..
Hope I can follow your example next weekend in Frankenmuth..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9297542

Betty, THAT is incredible!! Applique over the dresdan is outstanding idea. Your color choices are so pretty!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9297545

Pat, I agree, that is beautiful!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 6, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9297549

Hope I didn't mislead you, that is the magazine photo. I've yet to make it!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 6, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9297550

I do like that Betty. Now that I measured and I have plenty, how much of that Santa fabric can i bring you?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 6, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9297555

No specific amount, what ever you bring I'll be more than pleased

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9297731

Karen, would there be enough for a yard to send me? Do you have a 'wish list' of anything I can send you?

Betty, when you do this applique project, do you cut away excess fabric when you layer one piece upon another? I'm laying out this flower for Bella's quilt, but seems like 2 layers of fabrics on top of the background would be bulky or too thick to look right... obviously, I haven't done much applique... LOL I'm not using fusible for this, although I could if I 'window' the fusible. But if I just machine applique, I'm thinking it will look funky...

Any suggestions from all you applique experts would be appreciated. Got the scrappy 4 patch border on Bella's quilt top, took me all day... I'll get the outer border and center applique pinned on, then post a pic for suggestions. I've come up with a different design for the center..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 6, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9297758

Layer one on top of the other, adds dimension as well.

Almost have the binding on 5th runner then calling it a day..much to do tomorrow before family arrive

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 6, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9297866

Sure Kathy I'm going to try to mail them out Monday as I'm back on the road for the next week or so.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9297962

Thanks Karen! Betty, you're one busy lady!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 7, 2012
2:27 AM

Post #9298196

Morning all,

Turkey in the oven, cranberries cooking, about to make fruit,veggie,cheese platters, clean craft room, and relax till company comes..

Enjoy your day.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9298285

Someone turned WINTER on in MD!!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 7, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9298313

ooops, must have been me when I was saying 'shoo shoo'
Sorry

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9298315

this is coming together nicely don't you think? My first red and white (cream) only 659 to go for my imaginative collection

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9298365

Very nice Helene

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9298368

nice, Helene! the background fabric brings a cool look to the overall pattern!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 7, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9298375

Really turning out nicely. Are these some of the fans from this swap?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9298377

Better watch those plates closely Helene if you get near me!! I love them.

Happy Thanksgiving to all our Canadian friends.

Not much done here yesterday, took the day off and went to a horse show. One of Kim's students who also happens to be our vet's daughter was in competition. The fact we have known her since she was a toddler added to the interest. Today will be quiet as Kim has a 10 page paper due by tonight (has most done) and I am feeling the effects of being in the sun to much yesterday! BTW, our friend won all events she was entered in.

Jean, please, oh please bring some cooler weather back home with you!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9298387

Helene, those are looking very nice!
Someone sent the cool air here too, 51 this morning with a light rain! Guess it is preparing me for my Michigan trip next week!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 7, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9298394

Love the design and color scheme..it will be gorgeous!

Not as cold as I thought here, got everything ready for company, managed to machine quilt another runner so am sitting doing hand sewing and thinking I should be more productive..must be something outside I can do..

Next weekend Frankenmuth, week after Buffalo and by then could have snow..drats that is a bad 4 weather word!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 7, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9298403

One of you lovely ladies gave me link to the Dresdan plate pattern that was printable. I printed it, and thought I had also referenced it my document section of my computer and I CAN'T find it!!! If any of you where that post is, or have the link, would you help me?

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9298413

thank you, yes in the center will be from the swap and for both sides I am making more. Can; finish as I have some down south. they look pretty much alike because some peeps used fabric I sent.On the top i am sowing 1/2 a plate from robin done with only 2 colors. Will do this all around on the white diagonal. No sashing. I don't like sashing.
Read today about this huge pile up in Sarasota 47 cars and more than 75 peeps injured.

Booked to go home 31 October. Too cold here, Vermont Cast iron stove is throwing out heat today. A marvel of old fashioned engineering. Gogin to a quilt show this PM. Looking forward to it.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9298416

Robert Kauffman Fabrics. But be careful this is the pattern I used and has only 12 fans to the plate...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9298425

Helene, yes there were actually 2 big pileup on Friday. The one near Sarasota was due to weather conditions (pouring rain extremely hard) and no one willing to back off on the gas pedal!! You have driven that area I am sure so you know what it is like.

There was another on I-10 near Jax that had about 10 cars involved...same conditions according to the news.

Pssst: bring just a little of the cooler weather with you on the 31st. Not a lots but just the 'perfect amount" :-)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9298454

Pat, here are few links for printable patterns! Take note, as they are for different sizes.

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quilting/quilts_patterns/dresden_plate/

http://www.wannaquilt.com/patterns/dresdenfan/dresdenfanpattern.pdf

http://bunnyhillblog.com/free-patterns/

http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/colonial_revival/dresden-pattern.htm

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 7, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9298466

Helene, I love your red and white.

Pat the pattern is on the previous pages to this thread, I'll copy mine and send with your fabric, also a copy of the ruler. If you take it to a glass repair shop they can cut it out of 1/8 plexiglas. Be sure they sand the edges so they don't cut you.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2012 11:20 AM

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 7, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9298469

thank you so much, ALL of you

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9298724

I thought you'd enjoy seeing this little engine that could, namely the vermont casting stove. 40" x40" and the pipes that throw out the heat and all sitting in a glass enclosed room,next to this high tech kitchen with induction stove . what a PIA.

Quilt show was in this quaint, artsy town of Stockton NJ, Awesome setting of a hisstoric mill and it;s grounds withmany quaint Bldgs. Was very well done. Many quilts and some vendors. Such a treat for my old, sore eyes. My DD enjoyed very much. Will post pictures on shutterfly and post an invite.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen   Thumbnail by helenethequeen   Thumbnail by helenethequeen   Thumbnail by helenethequeen   

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 7, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9298853

I followed link on other thread but it didn't have pics.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9299224

Helene, I/m with you on this COLD weather. Only 48 here this AM & I need to walk the dog. Luckily I can borrow jackets from the coat closet.
Will be great to have you back in FL. THen I'll plan my trip west!!!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9299395

http://comein.shutterfly.com/#&emid=site_sitecreated&cid=SHARE3SXXXX

this wworked for me. Have to start using flckr. Shutterfly is a bit old
sorry for the inconvenience

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9299405

Helene, those quilts are beautiful, love the quirkiness in the pink flamingo one!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9299420

checking if someone was able to open this
Yes that was so beautifully designed. Quilt of V had words printed into the light sections such as "God bless america" and more. beautifull show. Each and every window had flower arrangements on the inside done by one person and used flowers from members gardens.i was impressed by it all.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9299433

free pattern , variation of Dresden Plate
http://www.simplicity.com/buttonboxquilt

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 8, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9299608

Sometimes you just want to hug your kids..last night I mentioned to Greg that I wanted to cut some templates to take to Frankenmuth for the girls that sew..he asked me for a template of what I wanted..was off today but just came in bearing gifts..

I will look for a market and mark each size..think the dresden plate goes right to 42"..Clear, just have to put the sticky paper off

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 1:07 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 8, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9299628

WoHoo! Awesome Betty.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 8, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9299645

Sure is, making up your goodie bag lol

Mind is not working today..does deejay sew?

Judy,LindaKay,Janice and you do, anyone else?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 8, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9299653

I only know you, Janice and Linda , sorry not much help.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9299803

I don't know if Joyce or Alicia does, but I think Deejay does, she has sent handmade items in swaps before. I have sent them Dmail's, and asked them if they quilt.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9300208

I bought a BEAUTIFUL fabric today to use for the background of my plates!!! close your eyes Jaye...it is pink LOL

I had a grey or silverish in mind, or maybe a green. went to a few fabric places today and saw a perfect pink!!! not usually a "me" color, but the crazy fabric I found for the centers has pink also ?? that crazy design...just spoke to me when I saw it. and the pink I saw today goes VERY well !!

may do a bit of work on it tomorrow??!

don't ya just love those moments , when ya just got to give those big boys a hug for doing something so sweet...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9300221

Are you going to show us the fabric?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9300254

Yeah Thunder, shame on you... all that talk of PINK and NO pictures!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
10:01 PM

Post #9300258

crazy pink for centers is in a post above... and I will see if I can find the camera??? and take a pic of the other one :( sewwwww sorry...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2012
10:08 PM

Post #9300261

Man... I had to REALLY search to find that post! We've been a chatty group!!! LOL, isn't grand? I'm eager to see how big that print is and how it looks in the center.

JoAnn's had their Keepsake Calico on sale for 40% off and if you spent $75 you had a coupon for $25 off... yea... I made the trip after work tonight when I realized this was the last day the $25 coupon was good. :-)

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9300266

`ok here ya go... may even use this green too, a border maybe. I think the green works with the crazy print, and it has silver dots!

must be all the "think pink" for october going on !! every where we went today there were many folks wearing pink :-)

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #9300267

green and pink are both from that calico ...bought some Christmas that was 50 % off, and yup...got that $25. off too

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 9, 2012
2:21 AM

Post #9300301

Love your bold color choices Thunder, quilt will be spectacular.drats, I'm one week late to take advantage of Joann's sales.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9300329

I think your quilt will be downright elegant Thunder. It is going to have just that right rouch of art-deco and the pink and green will make your centers POP!!! Great choices.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9300382

I think that will look nice too Thunder!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9300475

Well the 40% is still on thru Saturday but the extra $ off of the total bill is not. They also had bolts of clearance Red dot fabric for %50 off. I bought a couple of pieces to add to my pink/orange/ collection that I'm collecting. I won't say "making", that seems a little premature based on results!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 9, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9300500

Because I filled out the card last time I was at Joann's to get sale e-mails they sent me a 'one time use' coupon for 20% off entire purchase..do you think the 20% off comes off the entire bill only on items previously not on sale??? bet I can make a Joann's by Saturday

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 9, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9300520

perfect 1/4" seams done by Robin. Skill level to die for I think

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9300524

thanks :) I am excited, over this quilt...now I love to quilt / sew, and of course I enjoy most of what I do, but I have not felt EXCITED about a quilt ... Ya know what I mean??!!

these coupons stated right on them that it included regular, sale priced, and clearance items. sometime they say that sometimes not...be worth the try!!!
lots of sale still going
30% off nursery prints and panels, Holiday Inspirations Christmas, Autumn Inspirations Harvest, Specialty quilting fabrics...40% off Holiday Inspirations Halloween prints and panels, Anti pill fleece prints, Ultra cuddle fabrics, anti pill fleece solids, and many more...My add says Sept 30 - Oct 13

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 9, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9300532

Just read it Thunder, says it includes regular, sale priced and clearance items..good until 11/07/2012
so I'll be ok this weekend.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9300565

Yeap and the extra percentage off got me in trouble also. Bad girl here!!!!

Thunder, LOVE the bright, bold colors for the center...beautiful.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 9, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9300603

Best I pack a lunch when I meet up with some of you gals in Frankenmuth and save my $$$ for Joanns

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9300864

so far...

Thumbnail by Kizmo

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9300866

Kathy - that is so pretty. What have you done in the corners? It's hard for me to tell because of the angle of the picture. Looks interesting!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012

Post #9300868

Kathy - that is adorable. You have such "vision".

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9300881

I received a gorgeous plate from Thunder today. I love it. Thank you so much...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9300904

thanks, I'm not sure if it will be done for the shower or not... I work on it awhile, then have to stop to let my eyes rest a bit, then back at it... LOL Would have gone much faster if I had just used a pattern with directions instead of making it up as I go!
I had aaaallllmmmmoooosssstttt enough of the background fabric to make full length strips for the outer border, came up short like 4" for the last 2 sides. Didn't want to go back to buy more fabric, so I used what I had left and cut dresden wedges to make the corners. I plan on making a wavy border anyway, so it will look ok. here's a closeup of the corners, before I trimmed them up...
Thinking of SID and outlining the main pieces, then not sure after that... binding will be the same fabric as the pink butterfly, and the back will probably be a pink print of some sort.

Thumbnail by Kizmo

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9300905

Kathy, I love the quilt...shucks I would have a baby for a quilt like that. Now that is really sticking my neck out ladies!!! LOL

Received an incredible block from Thunder.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9300939

sew happy my blocks are arriving.

Kiz!! I still say WOW it is just fantabulous !!!!! you should write a pattern !! I will buy one!! serious..

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9301029

LOL... Lady M, that's a lot of love to think about babies at our age...!! But hey, I'm willing to make another quilt...
Thanks Thunder, that's quite a compliment! I can't believe how many brain cells I've stressed on this one. Wonder if Sondra feels the same way after she gets finished designing her quilts!?!?!?!?

Now I just have to figure out the quilting. That red, yellow and blue one has to be finished by Friday, so the quilting starts on it tomorrow asap.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9301100

ROFLOL, unfortunately Kathy, the "hen house" has shut down and the "rooster" is gone. :-(

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9301190

Here is Barb's , and I hope this is Marion's. there were a lot of scrappy ones, and my pictures mixed up when I downloaded them. I am hoping I have labled them correctly.

Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT         

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9301194

OK... here it is. Temptation in the form of ANOTHER charm swap: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1284140/

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9301644

I so love it Thunder. Thank you again...

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9301660

Wooohooo, I got mine Thunder!! Thank you.. love it.

Still waiting on Janice and Robin to confirm they got theirs from me.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9301666

Thunder, you are correct...mine is on the right...love it!!!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 10, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9301668

just came back to look at the pretties..
in awe of the quilt and the border Kathy

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 10, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9301736

did you all notice the perfect corners on Thunder's dresden block., Awesome
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9301742

Robin hand delivered mine today. Had a nice visit with her.
Fly home tomorrow afternoon.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9302085

this is Jaye's

thank you Helene, must be you got yours? hope so here it is

Safe trip Jean

Thumbnail by barefootT   Thumbnail by barefootT         

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9302175

If the fabric wasn't so heavy, I could put my small suitcase inside the big one. THis way the larger one is almost empty. Oh well, better than not having enough room.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9302267

Thunder, I really like that cherry print in the plate! Those are some great fabrics. SOME beautiful plates being turned out ladies, hats off to all of you!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9302272

Room for just ONE more!!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1284140/ (Ok... we'll consider more if you hurry!)

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 11, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9302273

yes got my plate and set into the quilt. I placed the blocks on point. need to figure out how to cut the triangles to square it up. blocks with sashing 18" any suggestions for the corner and side triangles I mean sizes for the triangles

This message was edited Oct 11, 2012 9:24 AM

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9302279

Helene - measure the side of the block and add at least 1/2".
Take a piece of fabric and fold it into a triangle until the fold equals the measurement you have.

For an 18 1/2" side I believe you need a 14" square, but check 1st.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 11, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9302297

well, what about the selvage for the corner V and the side V's

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9302359

sure is looking gorgeous Helene!! :-)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 11, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9302387

So love watching the progress of everyones projects.

Saw this on the web

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9302513

Post Office brought me the big container with mail for the past two weeks and there were three blocks but I don't know who sent them yet. With all the traveling I have been doing I wont get a chance to look them over until next week. Will get pictures soon.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9302693

Helene, here's a link for figuring side and setting triangles for on-point. Chart towards bottom of page:

http://www.generations-quilt-patterns.com/setting-triangles.html
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9302727

Found a plate from Thunder waiting for me. It is lovely!!!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9302823

glad you like it Jean :)

Betty, I love that quilt.

Thumbnail by barefootT

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9303161

Helene, how about half of a plate, like a fan for the triangles?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9303166

ohhh LK that would be fantastic hehehe LOL :-)

Karen, I got the santa fabric!! thanks it is very VERY nice...don't know what thread that was on? but I know you will be poppin in here

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9303186

Thanks for posting the pic, Thunder.
I love mine.

Marion, yours is the only one left to mail out. Perhaps next week.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 12, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9303193

Thanks Thunder, glad to know it got there OK.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9303204

Janice I sent you this Batik plate.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9303258

All of mine will go out on Monday. Now I can confess part of why I am so very late...I decided to take a tumble down the stairs right after I got home and it hasn't allowed my a great deal of use of my left arm. My fault...hands way to full of laundry and didn't use the handrail. I am okay just feel really stupid!!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 12, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9303261

Marion dear, did you have it looked at? You might have a minor break. I know it is embarrassing to take a spill, heaven knows I do it enough, but you really should get checked out/
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9303305

Oh yes, I was checked Karen. I was very lucky in that I was just bruised and sore for a while...landed on the pile of clothes!! I got a terrible scolding from my daughter. I had just returned from visiting my Mom and my mind was on a "thousand" things I needed to start doing. We have all been there I am sure. Thanks for asking.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9303383

So Marion, your arm & my foot. We would make quite the pair.

A few years ago my shoulder had been bothering me. I took a fall & it popped the shoulder back into place. Go figure.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9303387

Marion, were you trying out some "Zumba" moves?

You're fortunate nothing's broken lady.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9303429

Hope you are feeling great now Marion. It seems like we are all a bit unsteady lately. That's why my sewing room was moved upstairs instead of in the basement. Plus the fact that the bathroom is upstairs too!!! LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 12, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9303606

Marion, sorry to hear about your fall..could have so easily broken something!

Calling it a night, Janice is in the hotel next door, Lindakay and Judy should be arriving at any time..Joyce /Bertie,Ann are sleeping, guess who can't sleep

Group gathering in Frankenmuth tomorrow..

See you then Karen!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 12, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9303617

I'll be there, hoping to leave early.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9303645

Thanks everyone...yes, I was very lucky but also very careless with what I was doing. Jean, we would indeed make a pair. You don't realize how much you use an certain arm/ shoulder until it is sore!!!!!!!

Barb when my sewing room is finished (soon now) I will be on the bottom floor complete with bathroom and bedroom so I could just move there, seal the door shut and sew til my heart's content. :-)

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2012
10:29 PM

Post #9303685

THAT sounds like fun Marion! So sorry about your fall, glad you are doing better.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 13, 2012
1:30 AM

Post #9303710

You will so love your new space Marion..

I'm also careless when it comes to going up/ down stairs..always thnking about something and rushing about.

Think about getting older, do I want to confine myself to main level which has the kitchen or lower level that has the craft room?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9303744

Marion, glad to hear your OK!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9303775

Foot is improving. I unwrapped it last nite & am walking with my sandals on this AM. Bit of a limp but no real pain. My toes ate black & blue & look like I forgot to wash my feet!!!

After breakfast I plan to head out to the studio to "play"!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9303804

Hoorah Jean!!!! Glad to hear you and Marion are on the mend. A sewing area complete with bed and bath would be wonderful to me as long as it had a microwave and a Keurig!!!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9303813

Ladies, wish I could be there when hugs are given all around!
Have fun, and hope the weather's beautiful for you all. Pictures please!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9303840

I am doing fine and thankfully I was hurt as badly as Jean appears to have been. My dignity was injured the most!!!

Barb, the MILs suite was one of the reasons we bought this house. Ross was thinking as we aged we could make that out living area. Of course neither one of us knew the cancer would become hormone resistant so quickly. Still love the place to much to think about moving any where else other than a space reserved by Ross. I just have to keep telling myself "use the handrails, dummy!".

Jean that is really good news about the foot. Dirty feet? You live in Florida now don't you? You are always working in the yard...right? Then that is the gardener's natural foot look.

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9303967

I just checked & I have all my plates. Now to decide what to do with them!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9304139

Jean, you don't have mine yet...goes out on Monday.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9304300

I don't!!!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...oh, there was 1 person that signed-up after I printed my list out. No wonder I had 1 I could not match up to a name on the list.

Looking forward to getting yours Marion

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9304380

Jean, what did you do to your foot? Hope it is not broken?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9304536

The person who signed on after was Janice... I'm looking at mine now and I STILL can not make a decision regarding background. I really should as that would make great handwork to take while Norm has his infusions...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9304572

Here is a pic of quilt with Dresden plates made from ties.

Thumbnail by Qwilter   Thumbnail by Qwilter         

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9304668

Jean, that's a really interesting and attractive quilt! And I would never have lumped those all in a box and thought the combination could be that attractive. Maybe there IS hope for the ties I sent you?? LOL (Ok, maybe NOT SOME of the ties!)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9304669

I like the pattern of that tie quilt but I think I would have reversed the light and dark so the ties would show up more. Just an opinion...
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9304705

If I live long enough to finish my "to do list" a tie quilt is on it. I saved all of Ross' ties and want to make something for the kids/granddaughters.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9304900

That would be REALLY cool Marion.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI

October 14, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9304963

Here's a link to a new thread, we sure were chatty, run right past 200 again

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1284600/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America