Dresden Plates Samplers, Continuing FUN!!!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Thought I'd give you all a new thread, you are approaching the deadly 200 mark!

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Pat. I'll be back home tomorrow, had a great time in TN of course even if it was a quick trip.

Jaye, those plates are soooo beautiful.

Anyone who needs more time on their plates can put me on the bottom of the list. I'll be using mine on Christmas tree skirts but they are for put away gifts for grands. All the current marrieds have one and I'm just working ahead now to be sure I get one made for each of the grands coming up.

I'm so glad everyone seems to be enjoying this swap.

Pat when you get some time, I'll be happy to swap plates with you if you want.

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Me too Pat, would love to make one in pinks and black, or what ever color you want.

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

i'd love to see a pic of the plate.

Anyone who does'nt have time to make my red and white can be off the hook of making it or send later as I can't finish the project anyway as some are in my Fl home. I am making a quilt with them. i mean an exchange is meant to be fun and not stress. We all have so much going on.....

I am using off=white for my background. Jay asked the ? as to what color to use.
ay love the blue and white and black and white and the christmas ones. yes all very addictive.

Great! Just might take you up on that but I likely would say Christmas/Winter in Red White and BLUE!! I know, I know... why am I difficult??? I used to tell my poor mother "I want JUST like this EXCEPT...." and she was one of those "by the book, just like it says" kind of people and I never have been. Can't you just see the center's done with a big snowflake print??? I have several blue print winter & several R/W/B that I am HOPING someday to get made into throws.

Karen & Linda, what colors were you looking for?

I want Christmas fabrics Pat, I do believe I have Christmas/winter in RWB.

Blue and white.

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

While I am finishing up mine, I will add one for you also Pat.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I'll make one for you too Pat. Christmas in red white and blue? Is that what you wanted?

Jaye I just got the two plates from you and I just love them - but why two??? I still don't know what I'm going to use for a background.....

Jay thank you for my plate arrived today. Very bright and beautyful.

folder preserved the block looks freshly pressed

This message was edited Oct 1, 2012 4:20 PM

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow, you have been a chatty bunch today.

Jaye - got you lovely block today.

I'll be mostly out of the loop till 12 Oct. DH will be here to bring mail in but I won't be here to open it. I'll be borrowing my friend's computer so no sure how much I'll be on-line.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Me too, Me too!!! Got my Fall dresden from Jaye! Such a good idea on using a folder for putting the plates in! Next time we swap, I'll just use it and send it back! Why didn't I think of that???? LOL

Yes, either winter or Christmas (snowmen, snow flakes etc) in Red/ White/ Blue. YIKES, I'm going to have several plates to make up if this keeps up!!!

We have gotten so much done today... and still working on the list. We recycled/cut up old jeans into circles in preparation for making those circle jean block quilts that make up like a mock catherdal window. I'll see if I can find a link to post.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Robin, I got your block. Charming!! I love it!

Barb, glad you got them.
A special thank you for helping me out with Sue's blocks. Truly appreciate your time.

When Jean sent her DP, she had specified on the envelope, not to bend.. or something like that. I remember too someone saying (was it Karen) that sometimes contents in the envelopes can be easily destroyed. Hence the folders, to keep them flat and protected.

This is Helene's DP.

Thumbnail by heavenscape
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Kathy Kiz.. an Oriental Fall DP

Thumbnail by heavenscape

All of the plates you made are soooo pretty Jaye. I love your eye for what fabrics go with other fabrics. You always make the right choice!!!!

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Sometimes I have trouble picking them out Barb. When in doubt, I just close one eye, make a fist with the right hand and look through it at the fabrics spread out. That tunnel vision sure helps block out other "noises". Learnt that from my first quilting teacher.
Or you could use your phone camera.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

nice oriental flavor, Jaye! That's funny that you mentioned the 'look thru the fist' idea.... I was just thinking on that same line this weekend when we were taking pictures at the steam engine show. It's amazing what you see when your focus is on a smaller area, just like when you sit under the kitchen table and look out into the room- you see what a child sees, not the dust bunnies, though! LOL
I take quilt pics with my cell phone camera, send to my email, then open up and look... gives me an idea whether I need to change colors or rearrange blocks

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

all beautiful blocks Jaye, love mine :)

Mine are all done!!! I sewed most of the day. on and off

some of my plates, they are up on the design wall. Waylon says he likes the black and white snowflakes!!!

and fabric I am using for my center.

Thumbnail by barefootT Thumbnail by barefootT Thumbnail by barefootT

and of course I had to try out this color combo :)

may make a pillow cover?? or a little wall hanging??

Thumbnail by barefootT

group shot of blocks going into the mail tomorrow....

I have individual shots if anybody wants to see theirs closer-up??

Doc, they really REALLY are quite easy to do!!!

I will definitely be doing a large plate, for my sisters round oak table.....she loves Christmas.

Thumbnail by barefootT

Thunder, those are so pretty!

Pat my mother was also a "by the book" person. Everything she cooked and no matter how many times she made it, she always went exactly by the recipe. Now her mom, my grandmother....was a free spirit. I don't think she ever made anything just how it was directed. Every pattern, every recipe had a bit of her personal touch, and I doubt she ever made things the same way twice.
Every baby in our family came home in a tiny sweater set she always made, it would only fit a newborn and only for a couple months, but we treasured them. After she was gone, I wanted to make them, I finally found a similar pattern and by sitting with the few we had left, counting stitches and making notes, I managed to come up with a close pattern. Now our babies still come home in the tiny sweater, bonnet and booties. Old fashioned I know, but I'm big on tradition. Plus I miss her so much that I feel it helps me to keep her by me a bit.

Karen, such a wonderful way to bring a newborn home! Old Fashioned or tradition needs to come back again, IMHO. I made afghans for both of my granddaughters with the crochet hook my MIL used to make their dad's baby afghan. So I guess I fit into that category.

You surely do Marion, my grandmother has been gone over 31 years and I still get the thought of calling to tell her something I know she would enjoy. She died just before I became a grandmother for the first time. She was one of the most important people in my life, one I totally knew loved me.

Victoria Harbour, ON

You both are bringing me down memory lane..I also keep with traditions and hopefully family will continue to do so as well.

beautiful memories. bring tears to my eyes.

Victoria Harbour, ON

One of our traditions, since 1991 is to gather and put a Christmas tree ornament on the tree in memory of Roger..grandchildren never got to meet DH but we speak of Christmas's gone by and they learn more about their grandfather..he was 47 when he passed on.

Victoria Harbour, ON

We always dressed as Mr. & Mrs. Santa, Christmas eve we would visit the homes of friends, go to the bedrooms so parents could take photo's of us leaning over their beds..Jeff has our costumes and a few years ago I made costumes for Roger's sister Suzanne and her hubby Lenny to do same..hope this will continue through the next few generations.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

That is an awesome tradition, I pray they keep it going!

on that note. The house I am staying in here in NJ, my DD house. 15 years ago when we came to look at the house it was so totally decorated with Santas. Quilted santa wallhanging and santas every where. Came to learn that the woman (a teacher) dressed as Santa every year and visited kinder garten and lower classes in the schools in surrounding towns. How nice! thought i'd share.

Victoria Harbour, ON

We've had so many children as they grew come up to us and said for those years, seeing Santa holding their hand while they slept made them believe there really was a santa while other children lost faith..many still have the photo's

The french tradition I grew up in had our big meal after Midnight mass, then Santa would come to give out the gifts..often wondered why my dad was never there with us??? hmmm

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

lovely costumes, Betty! So nice for the tradition to be continued... I worked with a lady once that did the same around the hometown areas. She and her husband looked so much like the Mr/Mrs Santa WITHOUT their costumes (white/grey hair, round cheeks, his long white beard and hair) that it was unreal. They were both lovely people, inside and out, year 'round.
Helene, I bet the house was wonderful, all decorated in Santas. Especially if it was cold and snowy outside! We never had a Santa come to our house, only to Church on Christmas Eve after the Service.

All this talk about Santas reminds me of an incident that happened when the youngest GD was about 4. We had gone to lunch and there happened to be a gentlemen seated across the isle from our booth that could have been Santa himself. I commented to Catie-Beth that Santa was watching her only to get this reply: "Grandma, everyone knows Santa doesn't have a wallet, he carries huge bags!" The gentlemen heard and cracked up laughing. When he was leaving he leaned over and whispered in my ear "Everyone should know that Grandma!!"

Victoria Harbour, ON

Too funny!

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL!

Your day is coming Kathy. Bestest experience in the world.....being a grandma.

Victoria Harbour, ON

that it is

During the war years, I was the only grandchild and my mother and I lived with her parents and brothers and sisters while my dad was overseas. My own personal Santa paid me several visits. When I was being naughty, he would be suddenly looking in the window.
When my grands were small I made special Santa suit of the nicest, richest fabrics I could find. My DSIL's father also used it every year for the party at the VFW. It still looks nice even now.

Jaye my plates are here and even more beautiful in person. Thank you so very much.

This message was edited Oct 2, 2012 3:55 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.