Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fotofashion
Dayton, TX

October 1, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9292258

Consumer's Reports recommends cooking rice by thoroughly washing the rice first then combining 1 cup rice with 6 cups water, cooking it and discarding the leftover water. That method removes just some of the arsenic. There was a table that showed how much arsenic was found in different brands of rice.
The only thing that will bother me now is that parboiled rice (like Uncle Ben's) is very high in arsenic and there is one dish I use it for. :-(
Beverly A.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9296132

I noticed that Consumer Reports cooking recommendation for rice too. One of the problems I have with using so much water in proportion to rice is that with "enriched" rice you would literally wash away the added water soluble nutrients down the drain that were added using a vitamin powder (thiamin, niacin, folate, riboflavin etc).

FDA Rice Code of Federal Regulations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=137.350

thanks for reading and sharing your concerns

~ Diana

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Arsenic in Rice Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
growing sorghum for grain Liquidambar2 2 Sep 26, 2012 4:28 PM
Increased rice consumption Oberon46 29 Oct 5, 2012 11:57 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America