Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Poison Ivy: Identification, Treatment, and Removal: Poison Oak

Communities > Forums > Article: Poison Ivy: Identification, Treatment, and Removal
bookmark
Forum: Article: Poison Ivy: Identification, Treatment, and RemovalReplies: 1, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
the_naturalist
Monrovia, CA

October 1, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9292306

More common in the West, especially California, is the related Poison Oak, Toxicodendron diversilobum. The lobes of its leaves are more rounded at the tips. In strong sunlight the leaves tend to be smaller and a darker green, while in shady areas they can be quite large and paler. Poison Oak can grow as a shrub OR vine.

Seldom mentioned is the fact that after the leaves come off in the Fall, the bare stems are equally dangerous, perhaps more so as they are harder to recognize. The main stems tend to extend outward from the base of the plant in upward-curved fashion, with short (4-8 inches) side branches. The overall appearance is of long, curved fingers like a cupped hand. Certain identification is easy if you also notice a few lingering white berries, or if you see a broken stem revealing BLACK dried sap around its edges (something to watch out for when seeking a good marshmallow-roasting stick!)

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9292999

Good point! I never knew poison ivy bloomed or produced berries until I started researching this article, so I wanted to be sure to include pictures of the berries and the leaves in different seasons. Identification without either of those features would be really difficult! The very thought of using it as a marshmallow roasting stick gives me the shudders.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Poison Ivy: Identification, Treatment, and Removal Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Horrible Posion Ivy Experience KittyWittyKat 5 Oct 1, 2012 8:39 PM
Avocado amygirl 1 Oct 1, 2012 6:46 PM
Very Interesting Article gardengirl86 4 Oct 4, 2012 1:58 PM
Poison ivy violetdundas 2 Oct 1, 2012 8:54 PM
urushiol - a plant defense? lblock 2 Oct 1, 2012 8:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America