(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

It is amazing that I cannot find an image of a similar plant on the internet.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Appears to be a Yucca, though I'm not completely sure which one.

(Zone 7a)

Dracaena.

(Zone 7a)

Hmmm...you may be right. Are the edges sharp or is there a point on the tips?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Maybe Yucca guatemalensis that is not getting enough light.

That's what made me think Yucca…The tips look VERY pointed. Also appears that if given proper conditions the edges could be sharp, and the leaves could be much stiffer than they appear now. :-)

Cross posted Tom…Think you are right. :-)

(Zone 7a)

'Point' taken...

Big Pine Key, FL(Zone 11)

A nursery woman I once worked with sliced her cornea with the edge of Yucca guatemalensis...freak accident, but she was fine after a couple weeks with meds and a very cool pirate eye patch.
Scott

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

I agree with Yucca guatemalensis http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/734/
olddude - I believe it - the tips are sharp. What I've had "near misses" with are Phormiums and trying to pick them up in containers and almost taking out an eye. Either that or bamboo stakes in vines and bending down to pick them up.

Glendale, OR

Boy, that sure looks like a leggy dracaena that my mother has had for years.

(Zone 7a)

I thought so too, at first, but if you look closely you can see the Yucca details.

I still cannot come to a conclusion here. Thank you for your comments. The next time I am near the plant, I will take a few more detailed pics to post so we can get a better idea of how the leaves are configured and maybe a close-up of the bark (stem). I just don't think the leaves are firm or sharp enough to be a yucca.

San Francisco, CA

it is a Yucca

If given the proper growing conditions it would most certainly show as an unmistakeable Yucca. This truly is not considered in my mind to be a house plant, unless optimum conditions are available…Strong Sunlight, excellent drainage, etc.

Here is the close-up I mentioned I would take. Am pretty convinced now that it is a yucca.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Quote from kwanjin :
'Point' taken...

(snicker)

I would have said Dracaena in an instant but know I know better, too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.