Photo by Melody

Canadian Gardening: What's Happening in your neck of the woods?Chat with friends

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 209, Views: 836
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 1, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9292440

Thought I'd moved us over...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 1, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9292450

We moved from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278453/#new

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278453/#new

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 1, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9292564

I'll have both Darlene and her sister in my prayers. This must be doubly hard for Darlene...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 1, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9292714

Quite the turn of events for Darlene and family. T & P with them.

Unbelievably not much happening here. Dogs off to the groomers in the morning (always a challenge).

Lorna's car got towed to the mechanics today, looks like the starter may be pooched .. not sure til it's looked at
NOT happy with CAA .. grrrrrrrrrrr

Just heard the 'S' word for this Friday ~~~~~~~ ugggggggggggggggggg

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 1, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9292739

Just spoke with Darlene, she is at her mom's..not sure yet if she will sleep there , all depends what Mae wants..Art had his regular doctor appointment today, asked Mae if she wanted to go not town with him, she didn't, he said he would pick up fish and chips for lunch..guess while talking to doctor he felt I'll, they rushed him to Midland hospital and within an hour he was in Barrie..at that time they told family the odds were against him surviving..you just don't know do you!

"M". Is it April Fools?? Surely not the "S" word. High for the weekend just under the 50 mark!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 1, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9292801

Aneurysms are quick .. you can have an abdominal or one in your heart, aortic, or, brain .. odds are almost always stacked against the patient, then there are some who LIVE with the aneurysm and are able to await scheduled surgery .. tricky either way .

Yes, the 'S' word slipped out during the weather forecast tonight .. high of 8C this weekend !!!!!

Off to watch an NCIS DVD ...

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 1, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9292880

We have the "S" word for Tues & Wed... high of 5 on Wed... brrrrrrrrr
BUT we'll likely have it all gone in short order

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9293261

Thinking of Darlene and sending hugs and prayers. She didn't need one more thing.

Aneurysms CAN be treated if caught early enough. My mother had one in the brain, had surgery and lived another 25 years. But the mortality rate is extremely high.

Busy week. Will be heading to Vancouver for 10 days and there are many things I should do first.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 2, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9293353

Enjoy your trip ViolaAnn..

Yes, the surgeon that came to talk to family told them what he had is hereditary (?) mind not working, cant spell worth a darn..that all members of the family should have tests at least once a year.

Darlene called me this morning, she hadn't slept all night.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 2, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9293480

Betty - I'm not surprised Darlene didn't sleep...her mind must be on "overtime". Poor lady... I have her in my prayers.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 2, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9293670

Asking for prayers once again.

I was going over to Darlene's and visit with Mae (her mom) tonight. Ann was coming along with me.

Darlene just had someone call me to say that her mom had a fall and she is with her in the Midland Hospital..don't know how bad, caller said Darlene would call me when able.

Prayers please!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 2, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9293681

Thoughts and prayers from Thunder Bay ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 2, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9293688

Darlene just called..they've got her sedated and strapped, waiting for results..
Darlene is soo hoping that Mae scarred herself but Darlene is not so sure of that. If she has done something to herself they likely send her to Barrie or NewMarket..a waiting game now
Darlene is beside herself

Seals the deal, Mae cannot stay home alone.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 2, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9293851

oh Betty - poor Darlene - what a year she's having... 2012 is not being good to her.
My prayers are with them both. Having Art die so suddenly must have been disorienting for Mae, so I'm not surprised she fell, actually.

ok - back from the Dr, and he says "no heart problems". He thinks it's just a pulled muscle or something, and I know it's not that (stabbing/shooting pains in my head, chest, arm and leg?). He's going to get me an appointment with a cardiologist because of my insistence. They will call me when they have a date/time.
I'm feeling fine now - a bit of pressure though I think it may be stress related.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 2, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9293886

likely is stress Susan..that tells you something doesn't it..

Glad you are pushing for further tests

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 2, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9293915

gee - since when do I have stress?!?!? LOL LOL LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 2, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9294116

Evening all, forgive me if a short post.

Just got in, Darlene called to ask if I could pick her up at the hospital, she had gone in ambulance with her mom..did so, then went over to her mom's to lock the doors, make sure everything was off then we went to her house for a bit. She is totally exhausted.

Mae fractured her hip, needs an operation, Midland does not have surgeons so call is out, not sure if Barrie, Collingwood or Newmarket, surely they will find. A surgeon by morning.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 2, 2012
10:07 PM

Post #9294317

Here's hoping everything runs smoothly for Darlene, and it's not a major hassle for her... or her mom.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 3, 2012
4:36 AM

Post #9294410

My goodness .. were I Darlene I would be frantic. A funeral to plan and a Mom who is now unwell .. never rains, but, it pours.
My best friend was 2 weeks from her due date with her second child when her Mom passed away. I remember standing at the graveside beside her , and hoping she wouldn't collapse .. as it was, she ended up giving birth to her son 3 days later.
I do so hope there is an orthopedic surgeon available to do the hip fix.

As always, a busy day, and, my BDay to boot .. would just like to sit and vegetate, maybe even grab another hours sleep, but, we are off to a physio appt for Lorna this morning ..

Susan .. sure hope you feel better sooner as opposed to later ..

Outta here

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9294529

I'm just not with it..sorry "M", should have been singing Happy birthday to you as soon as my feet hit the ground. DG should have a system set up that the minute you log on, a list of birthdays comes up..

Do hope it's a great day for you!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 3, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9294579

(((((((((((Marilyn)))))))))) Happy Birthday!! Hope the physio for Lorna goes well, and that you and she have a wonderful celebration of your birthday!!!!!!!! What's on the menu?

Betty - I think we'd only want a list of those people we know, not the WHOLE of DG - that would be TOO much!! Can you imagine how many DG'ers in the world have birthdays every day?!?! Yikes!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9294614

they only list those that have bought memberships and if you look on the right hand column on the home page there usually is never more than 5 or 6..names under birthday corner are normally not posted till around the noon hour

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 3, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9294706

Hi all ..

Thanks for the BDay wishes .. 29 AGAIN .. can ya beat that LoL

Have gotten several presents, and Chinese Food and a cake seem to be on the agenda .. going to take the dogs for a walk out back to do some leaf peeping.

Awesome weather here !!!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 3, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9294751

well, it stopped snowing here, and the sun is Thinking about peeking out...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 3, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9294818

It SNOWED there .. ya see that ... one Province utters the 'S' word, and, BOOM .. it flurries in and makes itself at home LoL
Ours is to arrive tomorrow, but, will be short lived ...
Right now it's about 18C .. I decided to bake some pies, seems i can't sit down long enough to just RELAX !!!..

Toodles

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9294833

Do not do you hear, do not send it my way...need to close in back verandah and put my pretties away!
light mist today, means I cannot test that machine I bought that vacuums and mulches..need to do it soon otherwise if it does not work as advertized I can bring it back and get $$$ back.

"M" do tell, what kind of pressies did you get???

Enjoy the day, it is special!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 3, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9294874

I have to admit Betty, when the forecaster said SNOW, I shuddered. December is way soon enough !!

Pressies .. well .. 2 beautiful boquets of Autumn coloued flowers ... some make up that I use from Estee Lauder, a new Waterpic tooth brush thingamee .. some car wash certificates and, of course, some Tim Horton's cards LoL .. oh .. and some leggings to wear around the house .. I USED to HATE leggings, but, have grown to like them .. won't go out in them though, strictly for home wear ^_^

Enjoying the day ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9294904

nice pressies "M"
got to love birthdays..

have to look into the leggins

I've such a pain in the back of my neck, know its from stress of the week..if Darlene doesn't need me tonight I'll have hot bath, jammies and just relax..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 3, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9294926

ahem... not mentioning the "S" word...
btw - Dr's office just called - they're scheduling me for a Lung Test.
He mentioned copd yesterday, and I told him I Do Not have it, and don't have the cough anymore. I Did Not come in for that - had chest pains. And told the secretary I came in due to thought of heart problems and that I've been known to have Anxiety attacks and maybe it was that. She'll call me back after speaking to the Dr...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 3, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9295054

Just a couple of BDay cake pics ..

:-)

~M~

PS .. the close up one looks as though I'm trying to THROW the cake at someone LoL .. just keeping it from Lilly and Piper ..

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9295123

Thanks for shafting "M". Mouth watering, could really enjoy piece to go along with my hot chocolate!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 3, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9295126

Again - Happy Birthday, Marilyn! You're looking terrific, lady! mmmmmm that cake looks good!

How did Lorna's app't go?

Betty - how are you feeling?

I spoke to my Dr's secretary, and she said he made an app't to have a Lung Test!! Geeze - didn't he even Listen to me? Once I went to him with bronchitis and his daughter (also a Dr in his office) sent me to the hospital via ambulance about my heart. Now I go to him and see about my heart and he wants me to have a lung test... I TOLD him that I don't have COPD as he asked yesterday, and that I'm under a lot of stress. Did he listen to me? Apparently not - he's going by a 2 year old visit I did re: bronchitis... idiot...
I think I'll source out another Dr.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 3, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9295150

Never hurts to be tested for all..process of elimination

I am exhausted so off to bed

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 3, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9295175

I hope you have a good night's sleep, Betty.

I got a Lung Test a year ago - I Do Not have COPD, but I am stressed. I did not go to the Dr regarding a cough or anything like it. A year ago they also said I do not have a heart condition, but I know things can change. I'm going to get a different Dr. I went on the Alberta medical website and filled out a request for a new Dr. In the meantime, I'm searching on my own.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9295177

Happy birthday Marilynne. Is today the day? Same day as my sister and a friend in Ottawa. Was a good day, obviously.

DH's one remaining aunt passed away early this morning at 96. She was in Portland and we were planning a day trip by air on Sunday, but have cancelled it. Too early for a service as another cousin who was very close with this aunt is on vacation until Sunday. She was doing very well indeed until a year ago but was still pretty good at Christmas and even not too long ago, but she fell and broke her hip and I suspect the will was not there to keep on going.

Gotta go. Work to do if I'm going to find time in the garden tomorrow.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 3, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9295190

Your DH has my prayers re: his aunt. Sorry to hear it's his last remaining one. Does he have any other family?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 4, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9295424

My condolences ViAnn. At 96, a broken hip can very much 'break the spirit' as it greatly reduces mobility which also reduces independence.

Susan, good luck in your quest for a new doc. I can see why though, it really seems as though this fellow you have now is obsessed with your lungs/bronchitis.

Windy day today, MAY have a weather 'event' later on .. have heard reports of accumulations in the area north of Thunder Bay of 15cm of S N O W !!! I tend to disbelieve that ... and if I keep doing that, perhaps it won't happen ? PLEASE !!!
The wind will for sure 'do in' the Maples ... have included their last pic of the year as well as a pic of one of the Does that comes to visit a few times a day with her 3 'hooligans' LoL .. we don't feed them, but, she seems to like like to munch on the grasses and shrubs on the property ..

Have a great day everyone ^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS   Thumbnail by MarilynneS         

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 4, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9295555

brrrrrr it's -5c this am, with wind chill of -8c!!
Marilyn - I checked the site and it said I could get a new Dr through them for only 2 reasons - Dr. died/retired, or I don't have a Dr to begin with... so it looks like I'm on my own and trying to find a Dr.

ViAnn - how's your Robert this am? I've been thinking about him - now that I've met him, and you of course, I feel closer to the two of you.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9295619

My Robert is in Vladivostok!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 4, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9295689

My condolensces ViolaAnn..

Love the photo's "M"

of to check my weather

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 4, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9295790

SHhhhhhhhhhhh .. if you're really quiet you can hear the leaves hitting our windows, and, the back 40 is a carpet of gold .. sigh ..
I wonder if the weather in Vladivostok is as changeable. Am thinking it must be cool there as well.
Keep hearing 'the sky is falling' types of weather reports regarding imminent snowfall .. somehow I seriously doubt it.
When I pulled into the garage an hour ago, my car said the outside temp was 15C

Susan .. Lorna had to 'play the doctor game' .. and .. she came out a winner (one of the lucky ones).
I keep thinking our family physician is going to retire, he's just 56 .. too young to retire ^_^

Bought Cod for supper, am now online looking for recipes, and, I do believe I found one that everyone will like .. fingers crossed.

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 4, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9295842

Gorgeous outside, just came back from lunch .. think car said 17 but they are calling for much cooler weather on the weekend and chance of rain.

Will switch telephones to my house when I leave tonight so I can work from home but that may change as Darlene called to say likely they will move Mae (her mom) to Barrie and operate late tonight or early morning. As Darlene is having mega problems with her eyes and with so much going on this week hasn't seen a doctor she asked if she called me late tonight or during the night would I bring her to Barrie..goes without saying, anytime day or night so if by anychance I'll be in Barrie area tomorrow morning I'll come in and work while Darlene stays with her mom. Darlene is terrified in the shape her mom is in, mostly illness before her fall that she won't make the surgery..can understand her being concerned.

That being said, thought incase I'm on the road I'd eat lunch at little Italian restaurant..what was the special? Turkey Dinner and lordy did I enjoy it..won't have to cook tonight for sure. Actually there is a new grocery store across the street so I went and walked the aisles, looks like great prices called Grocery Co., decided after work I'd go and get all the groceries so once I'm home other than quick trip to Midland tomorrow afternoon I'll not leave the house. With you all talking of snow it's making me nervous..lol will pick up all I need to close in back deck and what I need to winterize the place..hope they are wrong about the rain, I could get so much done if it doesn't...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 5, 2012
3:23 AM

Post #9296374

Well Betty, I haope that all is well in your busy wee corner of Ontario. You certainly do have lots on your plate, and, I have to admit, I have thought about Darlene and her family more than once and sure do hope all went/goes well for Mae.

That new grocery store sounds like a nice find ^_^

Off to physio early this morning, and, BOY is it chilly .. furnace has been on most of the night and, the wind has not stopped blowing .. can;t believe I may have to say we'll have to 'bundle up' !!! Although, I have been wearing gloves the last couple of days, cannot STAND cold hands !!

TGIF

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 5, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #9296378

Morning all..

Calling for a nice fall day here, hoping we miss the rain later today.

Thanks for your prayers re Darlene and her mom. She is now in Barrie hospital with a schedule time of noon for surgery..let's hope it doesn't get bumped. Darlene is terrified that she may not make it through the surgery..Mae hasn't been in the best of health this past year..good Lord willing all will be fine!

Is the cold weather arriving with you sooner than in other years?

When are you having your thanksgiving??

Susan, sage travels on your first outing with camper..may it be all you want it to be!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 5, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9296537

ViAnne - what is your Robert doing in Vladivostok?? I must have missed something...

Thanks everyone, for wishes re: our "maiden voyage" on the new-to-us Motor Home! Gathering everything we need to add to it, for our trip (toaster, coffee maker, non-perishables, etc) I've taken our turkey out and put it in a cooler with freezer packs so it will be defrosted for Monday's Thanksgiving dinner. I'll load my car with MH stuff, and drive it over to the RV compound we have on our park's site, and unload into the MH. busy, busy, buy...
It's supposed to be cool in the lea of the mountains - they've already had 5 cm of snow a few days ago. Good thing there's a good furnace, etc in the MH!! Still, it'll be fun!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 5, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9296783

Have an awesome weekend Susan .. take a shovel and some mittens ^_^

TGiving here will be Monday as we are to attend a 50th Wedding Anniversay dinner on Sunday evening, Gord's cousin.

Am praying the snow stays away .. west of us in a small town called Kenora, it didn't and they had to close down the Trans Canada Hwy for several hours due to weather conditions .. Kenora is about 350 miles west of TBay.

Enjoy your weekend everyone !!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 5, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9296831

Holy/holy "M" not good news at all...gorgeous here today..just got back from town, groceries and various supplies bought, drats mega dollars for groceries, cheaper if I treated them all at a restaurant and wouldn't have to cook.

Picked up Chinese food, going to put on Jammie's then get comfy and look at the quilting book I just bought for lap quilts/table runners and wall hangings..all of them I'd love to do, who knows, now that I just finished 4 of the 7 table runners I might just try one of the others, eat then early to bed..would love to make all my pies in the morning.

Just spoke with Darlene, her mom made it through surgery ok..gave her a spinal because of all her health issues..

Doc told them not likely she will walk on her own for several months..Darlene picked up her dad's ashes today, difficult time for all.

Off to eat

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 5, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9296861

shovel? for snow?????? lol
Geeze Kenora sure got a lot of snow then!!! I hear my ole hometown of Winnipeg had snow too...

Betty - tell Darlene we're all thinking of her and her mom - SO glad she got through surgery well.

It's almost 5pm, and we've gotten the MH packed with too much lol
Bob insisted we bring 2 TVs - in case one doesn't work ROFL We also are taking a vcr and movies LOL I've Never done this before when we were tenting... omygosh!!
Well, just waiting for him to pack clothes, then we're Out Of Here lol
Almost forgot our "paid" permits... yikes!! lol We'd have to turn around and come back home I suppose, if we hadn't remembered them. lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 6, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9297256

Susan, OVER PACKING is a given when going camping especially in Fall and Spring. One never knows what the weather will bring.
I do so hope you enjoy yourselves ^_^

Woke up to a light dusting of snow and several Blue Jays sqwaking for their peanuts !!

Laundry on the go, woodstove is glowing (only 2C here).

Good to hear Mae had a spinal, general anaesthetics can really disorient the elderly. Wish her (and Darlene) all the best.

TTFN

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9298239

Feeling kind of lost as today would have been the day we celebrate our Thanksgiving, but, instead we're going to a 50th Wedding Anniversary dinner. So .. our 'feast' will be tomorrow.

Crummy weather .. dull/dreary and downright chilly out there .. the Robins are all 'puffed up'.

Enjoy you day everyone

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 7, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9298275

Up before the crack of dawn here "M"..turkey had to be in oven by 5am..I've got everything done except the potatoes..cooking veggies a bit later and carving and fini another Thanksgiving behind me.

Weather is much the same here, oooh hardly a leaf on the front and side yard trees..off on drizzle, at one point last night I looked out to see if it was snowing..rain had a bit of texture but no snow yet!!!!

I've had a nice weekend so far..did groceries on Friday, sewed off on yesterday then this morning between chores, had 5 runners done out of 7 so far this week, I machine quilted another runner between prep this morning, plan on putting the binding on it shortly then clean the crafts room..as I've so many tables down here and little room in dining room I'll set up for everyone and that way nobody is eating on their lap..means more work carrying everything down but everyone helps so not a problem..now if I get get all the boys to do dishes is can do happy dance.. But as a mom/grandma, you say, leave it, I know where everything goes, easier for me to do it (what a lie) so this year will be no different. lol

Then, here and there I can sit and hand sew the binding on the 6th runner until family arrives.

One pie missing..I ate 1/2 of it since yesterday and if family soon doesn't arrive the other 1/2 will be gone. (and I wonder why I'm putting on the beef)

Couple of little things I need, should really take a run to Foodland a few streets away

Enjoy the 50th "M"..could they not have done is yesterday??? hmmm breaks up a lot of Thanksgiving plans

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 7, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9298281

photo of runners..two more to add to photo taken yesterday

Riley who is a roadrunner, coming home more often now that cool weather is here decided he wanted me to give him all my attention..where is she when I need cuddling..anyway got upset with me and bit my thumb...going to be out in the snow if she keeps that up come wintertime..lol

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 7, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9298293

forgot the photo

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 7, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9299037

So much to catch up on!
Sorry to hear of Darlene and all her burdens, will say a word or two for her and her Mom.
Susan Have fun 'Camping'.
Those pies look scrumptious! Even though I'm stuffed like the bird we had today at my dear MIL's. Now resting and catching up with all my other connections.
The colchums that I planted 3 weeks ago are up and I will take a photo tomorrow to share.

My dear Carol:
A sister picked up the Itoh Peony from Joannabanana's and got it to my other sister who brought it down to Edmonton. Prepared the bed and now "Carol's" Dandy Dan is tucked in for the fall. Thank you Carol I know you will watch out for him, and Thanks to Joanna for helping.

I truly feel blessed this Thanksgiving and wish you all a warm tummy, a pillow for your heads and peace for your soul.
Alberta Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 8, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9299252

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well Ann.
What wonderful news re Carol's Peony ^_^

The 'roast of beastie' takes place here today as last evening we attended a 50th anniversary .. very nice affair .. LOTS of relatives to re connect with.

I hope everyone is warm and content, and, (I just HAVE to say this) .. ready to begin the countdown to CHRISTMAS !! After all our moaning re the high temps and humidity this past summer. I can hardly believe Christmas is just aroung the corner ... AKKKKKKKKKKKkk

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 8, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9299283

Morning all,

Had a tear in my eye Ann after your post..so miss opening this thread and not seeing a post from Carol..always think of her as being gentle/caring, a Watson over the furries and great friend to gardeners..

"m" glad my rushing and cooking is behind me..today I shall flitter from project to project just enjoying my day.

Thanksgiving was different this year, a sense of sadness.

Earlier in the day I received an e-mail from Jeff saying he/Julie and the boys would not be coming..emergency situation..Julie's sister was raped,beaten and needed their support..understandably!

Mom and Jim, aunt Muriel, Greg and his family came as well as Darlene.

It was difficult for Darlene, hasn't really hit her I don't think that it's been a week since her dad's death and then day after her mom falling down stairs and the worry of that..was great she decided to spend Thansgiving with me..

Then Melanie DIL was having a sad day as well, her girlfriend from work lost her 19 year old son in a car accident..only child and she had lost her husband but 6 months ago..

We made the best of it but knew our hearts were in other places.

Sun is shinning, although cold..got the back deck closed in yesterday all but one side, large heavy stained glass window prevented me from completing the project..Greg is on his way to lift ake it down and to also install spot lights so that I have better lighting going up and down stairs.

Kids connected the new pusher unit that sucks up leaves and mulches..Lordy more trouble than what it's worth so will return it.

Other than that, just play..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 8, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9299578

Hi - back home from RV'ing. Had a truly wonderful time, and will post more later.
Tasty looking pies...where's the Raisin pie, Betty?
Betty - how very sad for Melanie's DIL's girlfriend... six months worth of tragedy... and so it continues. I will pray for DIL's girlfriend.

We're having TG dinner today, and need to get home cleared for company...
Chat later!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 8, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9299721

Holy crap!! I had to read the posts twice in order to grasp the disappointment, sadness, and horror.
My gosh Betty, Your 'celebration' had to have been a toughie to get through ..

Like you Susan I am getting ready for the dinner, everything is on the cook .. am fortunate to have a 'turkey cooker' .. it's like an oven strictly for the bird, sits on the counter and frees up the stove. Mind, you can cook more than turkey in it, I have cooked roasts in there too.

I'm off and running ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 8, 2012
11:53 PM

Post #9300282

omygoodness Betty - just re-read your post... How is Julie holding up? What a horrible thing to happen... I don't know how I would stand it...
So much sadness and pain for the people you know.
((((((((Betty & all you know that are in pain))))))))))))

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 9, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9300765

Another day, and, I am hoping everyone is doing OK
Would imagine we're sufficiently sufoncifide in so far as turkey goes ... I have some reheating in the oven for sandwiches for supper.

Crazy day re weather .. rain, sleet, wind,, sun .. a mixed bag ..
Going along the street to the physio office was done quickly for sure.

Drowsy today, no doubt a side effect of turkey ..

TTFN

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 9, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9300779

Ditto on the "Holy Crap"
Alberta Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 9, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9300788

Posted this morning but cyberspace must have got it!

Just to avoid left overs when Greg came over last night I packed him a care package, all the turkey, 2/3 of a ham and 2 pies . Tonight I'll scrounge for something to eat..lol

Beautiful fall day here, went to the fabric shop on my lunch hour and felt like driving right by the office and not come back.

Tonight I've a zillion things to go shopping for, Darlene called, her mom was sent from Barrie back to Midland hospital..Darlene says she herself is beat, was going to stay until later tonight but asked if I would go check in on her mom and if I would then she would go home sooo adding a hospital visit at same time. Will be a race to get home by 8pm for t.v. bingo with Ann.

My shopping could wait until tomorrow evening but as Jeff and family didn't come up Sunday he's meeting me in Barrie to go our for supper..there goes Wednesday..Thursday it's packing up for early departure for Frankenmuth..busy/busy weekend and meeting up with about 8 DG friends..does the word exhaustion come to mind?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 9, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9300814

Pictures from our weekend RV'ing
#1 Bob's taking pics of the taaaaaa-all trees - about 60ft tall
#2 A fallen tree by the washroom/shower "cabin"
#3 Picture through the windshield, heading back home
#4 Our motor home - 20ft long and very cozy/warm
#5 Mountains in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park - surrounding the campground

We had a couple of "issues" while camping:
#1. they shut water off to individual sites because it was too cold. We could have filled at a water station, but then we'd have to drain it afterwards when we didn't use it all. It's the last weekend to camp this year. We'll be getting refunded the cost of the water - $6/night so $12 total.
#2. We got "locked in" our motorhome. At 2am Sunday, Bob tried to get out to the washroom and we were locked in - the deadbolt was off and the door handle wouldn't turn. We discovered a "child lock" on the door and I must have accidentally activated it lol Good thing there was a "non-working" toilet in the MH. We "dumped" it when we got home...
#3. Bob had the emergency brake on, but when he was trying to level the rv, it rolled off the two stabilizers and the jack, and slid back. I was at the side, and Bob was at the back... I screamed "BOB" and ran back. The emergency brake stopped it from going too far, and Bob didn't get touched. I, however, banged my knee on the storage door at the side/back of the mh - just a bruise. He hadn't put the blocks behind the tires... My heart was racing about what Could have happened to Bob...

However! The stars were awesome, and Bob & I relaxed more than we've done in a LONG time. I felt so mellow and happy.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B   Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 10, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9301407

Well everyone seems to be very busy.
M will need a second wind by the looks of things, Susan looks like you had fun "camping". Betty I bet the Turkey has worn off by now.
Here is the photo of the Colchcum I planted and it is blooming in this dreary weather. We have some 'S' falling but it's supposed to go away. Then nice for the weekend.
Alberta Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 10, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9301435

wow Ann - how pretty, in the drabness of the weather!

Just got off the phone with a nurse at HealthLink. Hope the Dr's names she gave me "pan out" and I can get another Dr. Maybe this time I won't get one just because it's "handy" lol I need to interview them, and not just take one close to home lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 10, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9301561

Susan, love your photo's and am excited for you...look at those mountains

Ann, you would wonder how something so delicate can survive the cold..I was smart Ann, gave all left oven turkey to Greg on Monday night, last night had peanut butter and jam, what's the matter with my head..lol
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9301563

Beautiful pictures, Susan. I would love to go back out to Alberta to go camping someday.

Deb

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 10, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9301566

Deb, you got to come to Georgian Bay region as well

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 10, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9301574

ABAnn .. that flower almost looks like a Crocus .. BEAUTIFUL ^_^

Lovely photos Susan, glad nothing happened to Bob in the rollback, and I hope your knee is OK.
Good luck with the docs ..

Deb, camping in Alberta and BC is SURREAL .. Oh those mountains ~~~

Intermittent snow flakes here .. suits me ...

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 10, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9301587

We want to go camping there again...can hardly wait until the 2013 season!
My knee is fine - bit bruised, but no probs otherwise

I got a call from my Dr - they've made an app't for a lung test (Friday the 12th at 11:30), and are also waiting for the cardiologist to call them and they'll let me know when that app't is.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 10, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9301614

You just had to say the "S" workd didn't you "M"...sky is so black here and cold..brrrr it wouldn't shock me in the least if I saw a flake or two.

Tired/tired today, could put my head back and have a sleep..wish I hadn't told Jeff I'd wait in town for him so we could do supper..a hot bath and early to bed should be the calling.

Mind you I was up at 5 cutting plexiglass quilting templates for the girls I'm meeting up with in Frankenmuth, then did the floors, cleaned everything out of the refrigerator then started my work day. No wonder I'm tired! Showing my age.

Bet you are relieved Susan to have the appointment set and soon to have the second one..didn't take long at all.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 10, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9301780

btw - this is my current Dr. For now, I'm going to stay with him and hold off on getting a new one.
Cardiologist appointments can take several months for you to get in, so I guess I'm not holding my breath...
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9302167

It's been a long time since I've done any traveling that wasn't dog show related. My last trip to Canada was to Newfoundland with my mom and kids 11 or 12 years ago. It's been a little longer since I've been out west. I have camped in the Georgian Bay area near Wiarton, I was there for dog shows, but that was ages ago. It is a very pretty area. It's probably been 20 years since I've been out west. One year I drove out to Prince Rupert BC, took the ferry down to Vancouver Is, and drove back. Spent as much time as I could in the mountains, been out there twice since, spent time in Jasper, Yoho, and Banff camping. I just love it and do plan to go back. Right now, I've been doing some genealogical research. My great grandmother's family had a farm on Grenadier Pond in the late 1800's early 1900's, which, from what I can find, Grenadier Pond is now a park and part of the city of Toronto. I'd love to go there, too. Too many dogs, too little money!!

For now, I'll have to enjoy the beauty of Canada, vicariously through you all!!

Deb

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 11, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9302180

Deb, we'll be happy to share ^_^
I remember a family trip to the west coast fromThnder Bay (TBay is almost the centre of Canada). Travelling through Manitoba and Saskatchewan is kinda .. I don't want to say boring because each of those Provinces has their points of beauty .. but .. once you hit Alberta and head west of Calgary, all I could say for the first few hours was 'OMG' !!! The Rockies are truly amazing, as is the west coast.
Have made the trip several times and would hope to go once again ... course, going East is also equally beautiful in the scenery dept !!

Snowfall overnight, both dogs were SO HAPPY ... doubt it will stay, but, right now things are pretty white !!

Slept horribly last night .. Piper has a habit of laying directly on top of my feet, not EVERY night, but most .. last night was no exception, and, try as I might I could NOT get him to shift .. I finally got up and moved him, and, by the time I crawled back into bed he had gone back. Suffice to say I see a nap in my future...

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 11, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9302485

Wiarton is at the tip of Lake Huron (Georgian Bay) and beautiful country.

It's cold here, with wind chill factor it's 34F brrrr almost cold enough to see a snowflake

Stayed in Barrie after work and met up with Jeff and the boys, didn't leave till later in the evening for home and it was just a raining and blowing..had never seen the sky so black, eerie!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 11, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9302491

Has snowed off and on most of the day .. the Trans Canada east of us by a few hundred Km is/was closed due to accumulations and black ice.
Gord and went to pick up the dog food at the breeders and WHOA .. can you ever see the areas you have to be careful in re 'black ice'
Went to one of the bigger greenhouses to pick up fertilizer for a few of the plants for 'over wintering' .. course, I came home with a Mum !!!

Lorna and I are off to a seminar re 'Arhtritis' tonight .. am hoping it is as good as it is made out to be.

Betty, sounds as though your drive home must have been a dandy last evening !! How's Julie's sister ?

I have 'lost' 3 colleagues in the past 8 days .. they were older staff I had worked with .. hard working and caring nurses every one of them .. guess we sure don't last forever ..

ENjoy your evening

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 11, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9302497

wow "M" 3 colleagues..scarry stuff isn't it?

Jeff was telling me last night the 2 men who raped SIL have been charged..not sure they jail them until trial or do they?? not sure.

Nothing worse than black ice or freezing rain..I'll travel in a blizzard that you can't see an inch in front of you but don't ask me to travel under those conditions.

Leaving at 8am for Frankenmuth MI, 6 1/2 hr. drive, yawning away I'm so tired, drats I'd better wake up before the weekend lol
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9302521

I was in Frankenmuth for a few days last year. Neat town, lots of shops. I loved the big Christmas store. Have a safe trip.

Deb

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 11, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9302588

Betty - once they're charged, I'm sure they're jailed... at least I should HOPE so.

Lots of snow overnight - had to scrape the windows and brush a whole heck of snow off the car. Crazy drivers - so many accidents this am...

Banff is only 4 hours drive from us - we've been there a couple of times, but it's so "touristy"!! There is a campground in the park, but it's not only expensive, but it's inside the town and looks like a parking lot!! I'd much rather go out into the forest in Kananaskis!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 12, 2012
2:59 AM

Post #9302903

Morning all, drizzling and cold

Packed, all except to find a coat.

Should have breakfast before I leave..about 7 hours of drive time, add construction on 400'401 and who knows what time we shall arrive

Checking my list of 'to do's. Hope I don't miss anything

Will post when I arrive in Frankenmuth

Enjoy your day everyone

Susan,yuk to the snow, do not send it this way...feeling better?
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9302945

I don't recall which campground I stayed at, but it wasn't in the town of Banff. I guess the times I was there were slightly off season, usually in September, so not as crowded as I imagine it would be in summer. I think I spent part of a day in the town, but most of my time there was hiking and driving. It's probably been close to 20 years, I just remember the beautiful scenery, and that the park rangers had some interesting evening talks in the campgrounds, and I went on a couple of ranger led hikes to areas more remote than I would have done on my own. The groups involved with those were maybe 5 to 7 people, so it seemed more personal than just a group thing. I'm sure things have changed a lot since then. I think camping was $5 a day last I was there! When I can manage to head that way again, I'll have to contact you for some ideas of places to go and still avoid tourists!

Have a safe trip, Susan.

Deb

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 12, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9303045

I'm going to pack books to donate to the church book sale tomorrow, then off to the lung test at 11:30, then it's back home to pack stuff for my end of the church sale - hope to make a fair bit of change...

Snow's all gone, and it's going to be summer-like weather for a couple of days... we have a roller-coaster of weather now...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 12, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9303194

Deb .. Banff is a beautiful, BUT, overpriced 'tourist trap'. Costs have risen horribly.
One trip through we stayed at the Banff Springs Hotel , YES, that big huge hotel smack in the middle of town. I often think we must have been crazy to fork out the $$, but, it was an experience we'll always remember. We stayed there for 5 days and our son Murray still speaks of it ..

Betty, good luck in Frankenmuth .. you'll enjoy yourself and I promise to hold back the winds and cold temps here until you are home ..

Good luck with the lung test Susan, and, the book sale .. I go to book sales off and on, always hoping to find a 'PRIMER' .. you know .. Dick and Jane book from back in the late 50s

Seminar last night was awesome .. one thing the guest speaker (a doc from Waterloo) mentioned over and over again was 'TAKE VITAMIN D3 at least 2000IU daily, and, get your CALCIUM from your diet !!! Finding as showing taking calcium in pill form is not that effective, and, can cause heart troubles and/or kidney stones ..
All in all a great seminar !!

TTFN

~M~
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9303259

M, I'll check with my brother, his business is selling used books. I remember the old Dick and Jane books from when I was in grammar school.

Deb

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 12, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9303346

lol on Banff Marilyn - my sister went there for an anniversary many years back (when they were renovating) and got one of the older rooms. They didn't like it because the windows were so small. So, they got put in a HUGE room and it was TOO big. They weren't impressed at all. Banff is beautiful and all, but WAY too expensive - very much a tourist trap. Worst part is, the areas of town where the residents live is a 50/50. Some are pretty little houses (B&B style - very cute/rustic) and others are run-down and look like a slum...!!! Bob & I did a "walking tour" of the back side of Banff and it was terrible...!!

Back from the lung test - seems to be clear, and when she had me use a puffer and take another test my lungs seemed no different afterwards. Years back I'd removed some asbestos tiles from a huge kitchen/dining room, and just recently we removed a wall with mould and rotted wood... so I think that, and stress, have a lot to do with my "issues" right now.

I got a call from the Cardiologist and have an app't for Nov 29 at 1:30
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 12, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9303470

Momcat, welcome!

All this talk of Banff and no one is mentioning my favorite , Jasper.

Much smaller and not as touristy. Quaint and if you splurge staying at the Jasper Park Lodge is amazing. Walk around the lake, sit by the fire. Watch the elk chase the golfers and the bears make the golfers freeze in place!
Years ago they had a Gardeners get a way so for 200.00 a person you would arrive Friday night and have a get together with food and sign up for your courses for Saturday and Sunday AM. Stay in a super room then have breakfast lunch and dinner with what ever gardening class you wanted to attend between.Back to your room. Sunday was a class or two then a huge farewell brunch. That is where I got to know Lois Hole, Donna Balzar (sp?) Jeff...I think he is out of Old College at the moment. Plus some gardening and cooking folks who had excellent advise.

I love the old hotels with all the glory restored , Chateau Lake Louise is another very neat place.

Betty drive safe. Sorry to hear about SIL , that will be a tough road for her. Jail is too good a place for those men.

M good advise with the Vitamin D3, sorry to hear about all the losses in your circle.
Susan, get lots of information and ask tons of questions.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 12, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9303583

I've never been to Jasper - guess it's on my list of places to go in Alberta! I love playing "newbie" in my province, cuz there's SO much beauty to see. and you can do a lot of it inexpensively too!!

Next Friday I'm to call for an app't with my Dr as the Lung Test is due to be back in his office by then.
I know the results, but would still like to talk it over with him and see if there are details he wants to talk about too.
momcat
northeast, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9303909

I loved Jasper. I got chased by an elk in the camp ground!! Jasper Park Lodge sounds neat. I've only ever done camping in a little pup tent. but it would be wonderful to be able to stay at the Lodge. The Gardeners get away sounded like it was nice!

Deb

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 13, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9303974

Jasper was amazing .. am thinking that's where we went on a gondola ride up a HUGE mountain .. course, after a bit all the mountains kind of flow one into the other .. majestice and beautiful.
One in particular in a place called Valemount caught our eye, I almost thought we were going to seriously consider moving there, but, it was a pipe dream .. a nice one though :-)

Dreary day, been to town and back .. got more NCIS DVDs .. I think we're hooked !!

Going to spend the afternoon puttting away 'STUFF' .. lawnchairs/tables etc. HAS to be done soon .. slow and steady ...

Toodles

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 13, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9304431

oh, wouldn't it be wonderful if we met up in Jasper? Not tooooooo far from me - only 5 hours...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 14, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9304717

Be a BIG trip for me unless I flew to Calgary and then drove to Jasper ...
A nice thought though ^_^

Flippin COLD here today .. damp too.
Hung sheets on the line anyway ..

Still trying to get into the 'swing of things' re putting yard stuff away, but, inside chores keep popping up ..

And, so it goes

~M~
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 14, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9304781

OK guys. Jasper is only 4 hrs from Edmonton which is about the same for Banff for us. Yep there is a gondola up there. Yep the gettaway was great. They don't do it anymore, darn.

When our daughter was younger and I had to work all of the summer my husband would take her on mini Holidays where they would go around Alberta. She would ok the pool in the Hotel and they would stay for a day. After one trip to Jasper I asked her what she liked the best ,and being about 5, said the Cannollie (sp?) ride. I asked her to tell me about it and figured out it was a Gondola ride not the Italian sweet treat. We still have a good laugh about that and she has some great memories of Dad taking her all over the place.

Weather is ok here but not as nice as I'd like to get the leaves cleaned up. It rained most of the night so the air is nice and clean and crisp! Blowing the leaves is a bit easier without the dust so we shall see.
The sky is bright today so that's nice.
Let's keep our fingers crossed for the little goblins that will be out at the end of the month.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 14, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9304849

Great memories of Jasper, Ann

We don't get any goblins on Hallowe'en here... don't have many children living in the neighbourhood, and it's too far from other neighbourhoods.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9305176

Wow, you folks have been busy posting this past week. I've been in Vancouver - still am, but it's been busy. We all went out to dinner at Seasons Restaurant in the Queen Elizabeth Park for Thanksgiving. Then on Tuesday and Wednesday, DH traveled to Portland, OR to work on details for his final aunt's funeral which will be tomorrow. I stayed behind and helped out DD on Tuesday. Wednesday both kids were in daycare and she was working; so I bussed nearly to UBC to meet with a friend, a retired viola prof who has several viola d'amores - and instrument with 6 or 7 playing strings and at least the same number of sympathetic strings. I've just commissioned one and needed to learn more about them.

Friday we took Leila to Science World all day and then we had b oth kids for the weekend while DD and DSIL went with friends to Whistler for a kid-free weekend.

Tomorrow we take an early flight to Portland for Aunt Alma's funeral. She's the older sister of the aunt we lost in June and the last one remaining of that family though DH still has one of his father's brothers who will be 100 next spring. Tuesday, another early flight back to Vancouver and then on to Ottawa. At least we won't be arriving in Ottawa on the awful middle of the night flight we would have taken tomorrow.

Better go help with dinner,

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 14, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9305476

Hope you have a safe and early trip home, VAnn! Nice to you to help out your DD - must have been great to spend time alone with the GKids... bet your DD and DSIL enjoyed their "date weekend"!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 15, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9306027

Safe travels ViAnn .. when will you receive your 'viola d'amore'? Sounds like a beautiful instrument.

Gorgeous day here .. the sun is back with us, and that makes even the lower temps easier to take ^_^

Can't believe we were all 'static' today .. no one has an appt., that all changes tomorrow mind you, and, for the rest of the week.

Wonder how Betty made out in Frankenmuth .. lots of great deals I can imagine .. sure hope her trip down and back was uneventful in the weather dept.

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 15, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9306049

Afternoon all, was late evening when I got in and lordy I was tired..getting old, put on 1378 kl in 3 days!!

We had a wonderful time, always love going to Frankenmuth..lots to see, mega things to buy and can always find a treat at the fabric shop!!

Heavy rain thoughout the weekend but didn't drown the excitement of the day.

Just off for lunch, will come back to chat in a bit..warm out there

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 16, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9306736

Good to hear you made it back Betty .. that's a lot of Kms LoL

The house is still 'a buzz' with the news of Dalton M resignation as leader of the Provincial Liberals .. quite the move.

Busy day .. physio with Lorna before 9am .. then some shopping .. hoping my hips will let me .. I sure am pushing myself ..

Take care everyone

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 16, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9306827

Morning, soooo damp out there, all the bones are aching, what a joy to get older!

That was quite an unexpected turn of events. Do you think he is setting up for Federal Government?

Ohhh how exciting ViAnn not only spending time with the family but getting to commission a 'viola d'amore' any idea when you will receive it?

AlbertaAnn did the weather co-operate so that you were able to get the leaves cleaned up? Note to self, next time I buy a house please make sure there are no trees on the lot..lordy, as I drove out of the yard I saw nothing but yellow on the property..talk about leaves.

This will be the first year that the boys are of an age I'm not asked to make costumes..will save mega $$$ re purchases for the costumes but will miss it.

We have from time to time had snow on Halloween, let's hope that is not the case this year

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 16, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9306886

Betty - heard there were some pretty strong winds in your neck of the woods...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 16, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9306889

Sure were, thought it would pick me and my vehicle right off the road. Talk about leaves in my yard...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 16, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9306895

The boys will be by to clean up your yard, won't they? Don't want You blowing away lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 16, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9306976

No, no boys to help
Jeff is away on business these next few weeks, his boys are in hockey so unable to come up
Greg/Mel have a huge yard of their own, their boys are always into something..all up to me, don't really mind, just have to get at it. Sometimes I wait until spring, doesn't damage anything.

My problem is that when am I home, rarely..again this weekend it's off to Buffalo

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9307051

quick check-in from YVR - have already come from PDX and will soon leave for YOW.

The viola d'amore, I won't have until late spring. Olivia is making a cello first for someone else. So there's time to think about it.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 16, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9307151

waving as you rush through..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 16, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9307232

Happy trails to everyone who is travelling .. I am staying put for a bit ..
Rainy day here .. off and on spitters and spatters of rain .. supposedly freezing rain overnight .. we'll see

Parked beside the Mall where the physio dept is located, put a quarter in the meter (thankfully not a Loonie first) and, it was jammed .. well .. what to do .. here's Lorna all unloaded and on her way in in the rain .. and I help her with doors etc .. so .. I left the meter as was ..
texted my son a bit later and he said to take a picture of the meter .. but, not to worry, when we got out, there was a "FAILED' advisement inside the top of the meter. .. I still took a pic tho .. don't think I'll use that meter tomorrow ..

HUGE sale on 'stuff' at Shoppers today, went in to pick up meds and was so surprised by the crowds .. I didn't really see anything too outstanding, got some Vit D3 for a good price though ^_^

Should get supper on the go ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 16, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9307251

arrrrrrgh... I just got my new internet service/TV/phone, and my email isn't set up by them yet.
I'm waiting for an email regarding my potential position (being emailed by the agency to my old and new email addy's, but now I can't receive either...)... arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
I called them and was told it could take up to 24 hours from now...
I asked him to put it on priority because I'm waiting for info on a JOB. He said he'd "make a note on my file" arrrrrrrgh!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 16, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9307277

Oh my Susan, how frustrating, and, I do understand.
Computers enhance our lives, but, at times I could literally throw mine out the window.
Gord brought home some articles from a Fish and Game meeting he attended. He wanted me to scan them to file and send them to another member. No problem, I do it often .. well .. DANG ME if the PRINTER has decided it really doesn;t want to appear to be CONNECTED to my computer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have unplugged it, changed USB ports .. you name it ..now I think it's having a hissy fit because it needs a colour cartridge .. we'll see.
I do hope your problem is solved quickly Susan.

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 16, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9307341

Thanks Marilyn - my trouble is that I'm a techie (or used to be, when it was my job) and I don't want to admit defeat!
BUT - I DID get my laptop connected through WiFi. Now, to wait wait wait until I get email... I'm waiting for an email re: a job, and not happy with my first day on the new server...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9307453

I'm HOME!

Marilynne - when that happened to me with a meter I HAD thrown a loonie into it. Left the car with a note stuck in the meter but got a ticket anyway even though my errand only took 15 minutes. But I successfully fought it.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 16, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9307523

Good for you, Ann - it's nice to know you can win a fight against a ticket! Congratulations to you.
Glad to know you're home, too!

This message was edited Oct 17, 2012 11:52 AM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 17, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9308060

It was Ann that won the 'ticket fight' .. I escaped unscathed ..

Dreary day here .. physio was PACKED .. lots of aching bodies out there, and, winter hasn't even arrived ..

Bought a 'moist heat' heating pad today .. my gosh is it nice .. just hope it works after a few treatments ..

Have a rather brazen 'CHIPMUNK' terrorizing the dogs and cat, he has even tried to scoot into the house !!!!!

Cake in the oven, watching it rise .. this cake recipe is so easy and, the results are wonderful .. I know Carol was going to try it .. it's simply a can of crushed pineapple mixed into an angel food cake mix, poured into a bundt pan, baked for 35 min @ 350 .. take out .. suspend the bundt pan on a bottle of some sort ... I use a beer bottle, place it on a plate, and let it cool and drop .. sometimes you have to gently go around the pan with a knife and loosen the cake .. OH .. it has to be on the bottom rack of the oven as well ..

Off I go

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 17, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9308077

Going to have to try it "M" if I ever stay home long enough!

One minute its sunshine and another its windy/cold..guess that is why they call it fall.

Is the moist pad for your shoulders? Dying here, pain is totally exhausting me
neck and shoulder blades, lordy feels as though an army or two are sitting on my shoulders, can hardly keep my head up. Been taking pain killers galore, not helping.

Today I'm trying to put my feet up, back into the chair in hopes of relieving the pain, works for a bit then not. ahhhh the joys of getting old!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 17, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9308233

Betty .. I was a 'doubting Thomas' with this Moist heat heating pad. It's pricey, but, it is also GOOD ~~
Have used it twice today and really feel some relief .. mind you, as I am dealing with arthritis, the relief is short lived, but, ANY relief is GOOD.
There are varying sizes .. mine is 14" by 14" .. you need that much to kind of wrap around the hip area .. no lying on these units, or sitting, they are to be laid over the area .. how it makes the moisture is anyones best guess, but, it does .. very soothing ..
Bought it at Shoppers Home Health Centre (not the drug store) .. it's a digital moist heating pad .. can't remember the name .. "therma something" ..
Hope you feel better Betty ..

Wind is up here and rain ...

Tea time

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 17, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9308247

I Got A Job! It's a "temp to perm" position, but I start it tomorrow at 9am!
It's an Excavating company, and the wages are in line with what I've been making.
The agency called me about it this aft, asked if I would like to start, confirmed me with the company and I just got the call back to start tomorrow!! woo hoo!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 17, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9308357

Came home, hot bath, pain killers and fast asleep..Darlene called soon after so now I'm wide awake!

Great news Susan..how many office staff are there? Guess you will fing out in the am..

Not sure "M" we have that type of shoppers in our area..will have to go looking.

Just hate the thought ig going to Buffalo this weekend but after going several times in past month mom would think its because I just don't want to go. I'll be taking her sister Muriel and my step dad Jim..Lord have mercy on me!

Time to try and drift off again!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 17, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9308494

I went to a dollar store, and got a 10" rotating platform for $2!!
I'm going to use a shelf liner to hold the cutting mat in place, and as long as what I'm cutting is smaller than 10", I'm Good!!

Here's the website for the company:
http://www.ourlifeisdirt.com/about_profile.bpsx
They started in Winnipeg, and I'm going to tell them I started in Winnipeg too LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 18, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9308814

Congrats on the job Susan, hope your first day is a good one, kind of exciting.

Your trip to Buffalo will be busy Betty, just have fun

Rainy Day, staying put, Lorna will go to her dental appointment on her own, I'm not feeling all that well. I took the pain patch off its doing me no good at all. See my doc next week.

TTFN

M

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9309386

Congrats on the job Susan - I hope you enjoy it and it becomes permanent.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 18, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9309393

Hi - 1st day at the new job was great - team is very friendly, and they seem to think my attitude/work ethic is JUST what the Dr ordered lol I think I'd enjoy working with the people at the company, and the work seems to be offering me a challenge - I like that very much. :-)

Just one issue and it's a big one - I start work @ 8:30 and no breaks, finish at 5pm. Actually they said I could have 30 min lunch, but cannot leave my desk! In addition to Office Coordinator position (very busy role), I am also their receptionist. No mid-morning or afternoon coffee break either. I've emailed to the employment agency about this. There is no way that I cannot leave my desk except to fill my coffee and go to the washroom What if I want to sit in the lunchroom, or go for a walk? There is no one to relieve me from the front desk. Sure, I need to leave my desk to do other work like go to someone's office, but that's still work.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 19, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9309654

Whoa.. no breaks? Isn't that against the Labour law?
Can the phones not be forwarded to the lunchroom ?
Hope you're able to come to some kind of a fix.

Still in bed ... sorta.

M

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9309660

Susan - I should think that would not follow any sort of job regulations. Is that 5 days a week? That's 8.5 hours a day. And I think if you check there are probably regulations that require a certain amount of breaks.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 19, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9309953

I agree with ViAnn Susan.

Well .. I got up, and have stayed up. Right hip is still NOT happy .. but, too bad, laying in bed makes my brain go into overdrive !!! Besides, the dogs and cat keep coming to see if I'm ok, so, rest is not something that happens.

Did a HUGE 'no no', for me today :-(
Had a shower, semi dried my hair, and layed down .. my gosh .. I look like I am ready for Hallowe'en !!!
Hopefully my hot iron will take care of it tomorrow !

Have a good trip Betty, and I wish everyone a safe and happy Autumn weekend ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 19, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9310192

Everyone - apparently my predecessor (Marissa) was stating her preferences, Not company policy. After I emailed the agency, they spoke to the company and Jenn (my report-to) came by and clarified - I get two 15 min breaks (paid) and a 30 min break (unpaid). Marissa apologized for her mis-communication. I had asked her about relief and she said there wasn't any... but I have been told who would "cover" for me. I'm relieved.
The job today proved to be more "physical" - filling the pop machine, cleaning the popcorn machine, etc, but I've been told because of my more senior experience that I will be doing more Executive Assistant work in the future. My predecessor IS after all, 20 years old... albeit a relative of one of the executive lol She is a sweetheart and I like her work ethic. She's ME at that age... Jenn said they want someone with more "life experience" and that IS me lol

Betty - hope your pain subsides.
Marilyn - what are you doing for your hip, again? Oh, I know what "bed head" looks like lol

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9310927

Susan, glad you got that clarified.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 20, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9310931

Thanks, ViAnn!

Just got off the phone with my sister Alice... my mom is going to be "paneled" to see about getting her into an assisted living home. She's 93, and lives with my brother (she sold her home to him with the understanding the rest of the family get the proceeds and mom lives there as long as she wants).
He works during the week - Tues to Sat - and leaves food cooked for her that she just has to heat up, but he's about the end of his rope as her caregiver. We all can see why - she's tiny & frail, uses a walker all the time, and when he's at work she doesn't eat if she doesn't feel hungry. She doesn't eat at proper mealtimes, either. And if no one is there to see she takes her meds, she doesn't.
Alice & Ruth took her to look at a care home and, according to Alice, her eyes just beamed when she saw the lovely home she could move to. It's a proper suite with a fridge, and microwave, bedroom, living room, dining area, and bathroom. She can bring a coffee maker and toaster too. Everyone seemed really impressed with the food too - they gave my mom & sisters lunch so they could see what was available for mom.
Alice & Ruth say she could move in right away (it's private, so no waiting list), but Stan says "not until Spring or Summer". Alice & Ruth have no idea why he would want to wait, unless he wants to "get his head around the idea" that his "roommate" wouldn't be living there anymore...
He may feel guilty that he can't look after her until she Has to move, but as my sisters say (and apparently mom), "better late than never".

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 21, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9311072

Susan, goo you got that issue sorted .. now perhaps you can enjoy the job a bit more. Your schedule was starting to sound like a nurses LOL .. many times no lunch, or, you were happy with a 5 minute trip to the bathroom .. no wonder my hip is complaining now !!

Beautiful day here yesterday 13C and sunny, and much the same today ..
I got up this morning and REFUSE to go back to bed .. I will just have to deal with the discomfort as I have too much to accomplish today.
Everyone has been helpful, but, I am the only one who knows how to make pies AND, if you can believe it, MEAT LOAF !!!!
I see my doc on Tuesday and will go from there ..

What's everybody up to this weekend?
Sure are lots of fall fairs etc out this way ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 21, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9311555

Yes, I know there are some jobs that are very "hit and miss" for breaks, but they would pay more than mine, I'm sure... and it's not healthy NOT to take a break...

Busy day today, and now time to make dinner... butter chicken drumsticks and basmati rice...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 22, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9311978

Morning all, glorious day here

Resting today, was a l o n g g g g weekend, tired as can be

Did end up with 8 more xmas gifts, ended up with set of pots/pans for DIL, saved about $100 buying them there so was doing happy dance for that purchase

Bought mega xmas fabrics now must determine what they will become.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 22, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9312040

Welcome home Betty and congrats on your pots and pans buy ^_^
I have heard of so many great deals 'south of the border, .. am thinking a short excursion over might be happening.

Dreary here, so far, supposed to be 13C .. guess we'll see ..

Have a family dinner tonight, and am trying to get 'in shape' for it .. I refuse to say that my hip feels better .. OOPS . I said it. However, I know it's fleeting ...
Just be nice to get out and not have to cook dinner .. it's at a nice restaurant in the city .. all the IRISHMEN/WOMEN will be out in force (18 cousins)

Guess I best mosey on to something ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 22, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9312549

I just got home, and found a message from the employment agency - my last day was today, and I'm not to go back... I think it was because the person training me had me doing things in a wrong priority order... that's the reason she's being transferred back to her old job... and She's training me????
I have to go back to get my shoes, return my security fob, and also get a spray bottle and brush I brought to clean the popcorn machine. I'm not leaving any of my stuff there!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 23, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9313338

Jeeze Looeeze Susan .. what a horrible thing to have happen ...

Wind and rain here today, the woodstove is starting to look more and more like it's going to be fired up.

The dinner last night with the cousins was wonderful .. wish they were more frequent, but, everyone is living such busy lives !!

Had my docs appt this morning. Not good :-(
My bloodwork shows that I have an acute inflammatory process occuring in my body (in the large joints .. hips) .. nobody is quite sure what it is, but, it's uncommon and I have been referred to a rheumatologist here in the city, as well, I have been put on some rather potent medications to help reduce the pain and swelling.
I just hope the meds work, I start them with dinner tonight.

Speaking of dinner, I think I best rattle some pots and pans :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 23, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9313392

Your news isn't the best for sure "M". Let's hope the appt with the rheumatologist provides you with answers, nothing worse than the not knowing! Have you taken these meds before?

Sewed good part of the day yesterday and again today, about 1/2 way through a christmas project, hoping to get it done by weekends end.

Tired, with being away last 2 weekends and away a few weekends before I'm plum tuckered out.

Dreary out there so decided to have hot bath, hot chocolate, grabbed a rag quilt and have Hawaii Five 0 on..I'll watch the eye candy and might just catch a few winks.

Turn on that wood stove "M" as I'm sure the warm heat will sooth those aching bones

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 23, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9313413

Went out this am (in this huge snowfall we had overnightl!!!!!) and went to my last job - picked up my stuff, and got my timesheet signed. Gave them back their security fob too.
Then I went to the PO - 2 packages, one for Bob (the laptop our new TV/internet/phone provider gave to us FREE), and one for me (from LK - my pj buddy!!)
I'm in the nightie and footlets she sent me, with my velour housecoat on, and relaxing the day away. Sure feels nice after that nasty weather! I can sip some Apple Cider she sent too... Never been much of one to do my finger/toe nails, but she sent some nail polish so may do that too! lol

It sure was nice to get a pressie in the mail after such an awful night last night.
Bob had gone to bowling, and I was home spent some time crying. Today after I got in my "relaxing gear" a friend dropped by for tea!! I've always maintained that it would be nice if people did that nowadays, but they don't, and then Glaide dropped in today!! We had a lovely teatime. I gave her some of the Milano cookies LK sent - perfect timing, LK!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 25, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9314882

Sounds like your not unhappy about leaving that position Susan.
Nice to be able to spend a 'YOU' day as well .. your friend was ON IT :-)

I have been spending my time between my bed and the kitchen, right hip is causing me lotsa grief !!
The meds I have been placed on are quite potent, BUT, take over a MONTH to work.
From what I gather it is felt I have rheumatoid arthritis :-(
Had a paternal aunt with it, sure hope the NEW meds will help alleviate the pain and disfigurement .. altho I haven't any 'bumps' as of yet.
Kind of catches a person off guard when your doctor pulls a face of deep concern and places their hand on your shoulder !!
BUT .. in the scheme of things, it could be something worse .. right now my body is fighting to gain back some control .. and I am NOT used to being STILL !!!!

Rainy weather, damp, dreary and gloomy .. making Shrimp Creole ... I can sit and chop stuff ^_^

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 25, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9314987

I was Definitely NOT unhappy about it, cuz anyone who expects you to know the job & company is less than 3 days is delusional!! Esp when my "trainer" knew the job, but not how to DO it lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 25, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9315062

That was not good news "M"..would think that the cold damp weather isn't helping.

They've come so far with new medication, let's just hope it eases your pain.

Susan, from the sewing threads I see that you are in a 'being productive' mood and getting a lot of sewing done..go for it gal, keeps your mind off other things.

So need to get outside work done, with not being home much the past month I've left lots slide, however, the weatherman says it shall rain the next 3 or 4 days so that is no help in achieving my goal of raking the entire yard.

Guess I'll start cleaning closets and organizing a few dirty corners.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 25, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9315262

I'm in a productive and busy mode... center done yesterday, 2nd one finished this am, then Bible Study, working on a 3rd center today, then Choir Practice tonight
Tomorrow am I'm picking up a friend who needs a ride to her eye Dr (in case she needs drops and can't drive home) who is treating me to lunch afterwards. How sweet is that?!?!
I Know that having company on Tuesday, and picking up 2 parcels from the PO improved my mood, and I feel ever-so-much-better!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 26, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9315904

Sunny,windy and cool here today.
Just spoke with my brother who has a home on Lake Superiors shore and he says the 'surf is up' ...

Everyone is busy (as always) .. I have taken down and washed all my royal Doulton Toby Mugs (14 of them) .. the shelf they occupy is going to be raised about 3-4 inches to accomodate a new fridge. I have yet to purchase said fridge, but, it will be stainless with french doors and a bottom freezer .. my 'love affair' with my 22 yr old side by side is OVER !!
Getting these tasks accomplished is sure slow going.

Hope everyone has a great weekend, guess we should be glad we are out of Hurricane Sandy's way !!!!

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9315912

Beautiful day here - maybe the last one. Am about to head into the garden.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 26, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9315923

Not raining yet, however you can feel the dampness in the air.

Working from home today, was so hoping when done at 3pm I could get more raking done but it's doubtful.

Think maybe you are overdoing "M", you need to give those meds a chance to work..am sure you will love the new refrigerator..now where shall you put your mugs??

Drats, working on quilt top for my staircase and ran out of fabric for all of about 16" X 3", could just cry..here I thought with it raining all weekend I could quilt it..not to be, bought fabric at Joann's .. sure hoping when I go on the 10th they will still have some of the same..just that little corner on bottom right..madening for sure.

Sharon's new litter of pups, she was in Minnesota two weekends ago and won all there was to win..even best of show

Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   Thumbnail by Bettypauze   

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 26, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9316114

I admit it, I am not one to rest. In essence my body is demanding I do it.

The pups and mom are gorgeous!!
As for the quilt, what can I say... Disappointed for sure.

Going to watch a movie this afternoon, hope I can stay awake.

Ttfn

M
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 26, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9316155

M sorry to hear you are still in pain, hope the medication kicks in early for you.
Susan , sounds like you are working through all the ..., keep it up something will show up and it will be just what you are looking for.
B Sharon's pups are sooooo cute!! I can just see all the trouble they could get into as a team. She must be working very hard to stay at the top of her game with all the wins she is having.
Violann at least you are having good weather, ours has been down the drain for a bit and I just heard that this is the coldest October for us in the time since they have been keeping a log of it.

Here comes Halloween folks. Get your caps on.
Later
Alberta Ann

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9316158

An absolutely glorious day here in Ottawa, but it won't last. We will have rain and cooler temps tomorrow. But for now, I've just spent about 3 hours in the garden, mostly digging hostas into my veggie garden for the winter - those that I had in pots. And I've put one large planter into my screened porch this year to see if it will overwinter successfully. I've kept a few hostas there before but haven't chanced it with most. However, I'm getting tired of planting my "mice" in the veggie garden each autumn and replanting them in a planter and for the most part I think they are highly overrated anyway. Come to think of it, I MIGHT go dig out 'Country Mouse' which is a different family altogether as I really like it.

Anyway, there's a Choir dinner and Cabaret and presentation of an "Old time radio drama", part 2 - Who Shot Sweet Sue's Spouse. Am about to get myself cleaned up and will practice viola and then head to that. DH will go independently as he's meeting the grand-twins after school today.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 26, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9316165

awe... they're so sweet! I too can see they'd get into a passel of trouble as a team! and she won best of show after just having had a litter of pups? Beautiful do! Sharon would be justly proud!
Betty - is the "missing piece" the same as the cut piece you have at the bottom of your quilt? A quilt for your staircase"? Really?!?! wouldn't it get awfully dirty there?

Marilyn - are you getting good effects from your meds yet? Guess you're sleeping cuz of them?

ABAnn - Thanks, at some point I will be through the ... of this, but although I'm "okay" with This particular leavetaking, I'm still frustrated about the lack of work when I hear that in Sept it was a hiring frenzy. It's the end of Oct... One agency was saying I could get a job at $10/hr less than I was making 2 years ago... but with my experience I shouldn't take one for that little...!! Sounds like a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

Home from taking a friend to the eye Dr's, and then she treated me to lunch!
Now, time to work on my RR centers! Betty - yours is one of them!! Beautiful center, girl!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 26, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9316166

Wow VAnn - still able to work in the garden? We have snow now, so that part of the season's gone.
Have a good time tonight, at the Choir dinner and Cabaret and presentation of an "Old time radio drama", part 2. Never heard of "Who Shot Sweet Sue's Spouse". Is this a local production?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 26, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9316183

Rest well "M"
Maybe a nap is what your body needs..don't fight it!

Bet Lorna is fretting over you all day long..

only goal I had for today was take the steamer out and steam everything in the washroom..kills any germs before they make me sick..

Missy had other ideas..I thought I could smell a foul odor in my craftoom..cleaned and wiped all surfaces, did the floors, through out fabric that she decided she would pee on..drats, I'm not happy

got everything in its place and I can still smell it..of course I have a heavy duty plastic on the crafting tables over table cloths so I can wipe down easily, guess she pee'd on it and it just can't be wiped off so in the garbage it went.

I'm thinking because we loss Sailor a few months ago and she's been grieving, not happy with me and that the last few weekends I've kept her in the house while I've been away she is teaching me a lesson..one well learnt..

Guess I'll get a sitter for her or leave food outside for her to eat while the weather is nice..I learn quickly!!!

Another 1/2 hr. then my shift is over..off to Foodland for vinegar (wash the floors again) and fabreeze..know it doesn't smell but you know what it's like, you can't seem to not smell it.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 26, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9316191

Thought I had posted previous post about 2:30..not

did get to town, wouldn't you know, shift ended at 3:00 and when did the rain start?? 3:02

Production sounds wonderful ViolaAnn..our play theatre in Penetang has productions, keep wanting to go but something always gets in the way. Too bad it wasn't on the radio, we could listen.

AlbertaAnn, do you mean that Halloween kiddies are out today?? wouldn't that be wonderful rather than on a school night..perhaps you meant your little ones coming home..they may have celebrated at school..to be young again..

Susan, top of staircase (railing)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 26, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9316199

Meant to add Susan, Sharon has 3 showdogs, the mother of the pups did not show in Minnesota

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 26, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9316206

oh, didn't realize she had 3 showdogs... how wonderful that she keeps on winning with any of her dogs. She's a professional for sure!!

poor Missy - I'm sure you're right, she's grieving in the only way she knows. Hope this doesn't become a bad habit. It's the problem we had with Baby... and it got worse in the 9 years since her mother passed, not better. She was 2 at the time, and we had to do something about it at aged 11...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 26, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9316211

Actually Sharon has 5 show dogs..

Sure wish I had the $$$ she spends on showing and breeding but then she says she'd like the money I spend on my hobbies..lol

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 26, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9316219

lol, and re-spend after today, eh? LOL
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 26, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9316482

LOL Betty, nope, just that our yard is "done" for Halloween and the kids are looking at it. I have encouraged the little ones in the neighborhood to come and see in the day light so that they won't be scared on Halloween. I had a blast making a bed with bones using the spray expanding foam and some left over bones and paint and I've made the headstones myself out of styrofoam. The big rock at the front has a pair of stuffed pants and boots at one end and a head and arms sticking out around it so it gives the look of the guy being squashed by the rock. I move my metal stuff to the front and it seems to turn into a spooky thing. What fun! I will try to take a photo.

Betty...what we do for our four legged kids...

Violann, I have put my mice in a raised planter bed and they stay out there. Then they are raised to make them easier to see and I don't have to dig them in. I did try to overwinter in a pot with a ton of styrofoam peanuts around them and that worked but storage space is at a premium here so off to the raised planter it was. I think it helps that it is on the north side of my garage which faces into my back yard so it doesn't get the thaw thing happen until it's truly spring.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 26, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9316568

How about this for originality in the way of music?
http://www.youtube.com/embed/XlyCLbt3Thk?rel=0

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #9316714

What an interesting contraption!

To whomever asked, yes, "Who Shot Sweet Sue's Spouse" is very much local - written and produced by a member of the congregation. (And with a wimpy ending, but who cares, it was fun). So was dinner - very tasty.

Our gardening season is about done, I think. Yesterday was unusual to be comfortable in a T-shirt while working, but since I missed gardening time while in BC, I took it. Planted about a zillion hostas into the garden for the winter including about 30 seedlings in styrofoam cups.

Today, it's cloudy with rain coming and much cooler. That's OK. We are in an all day first aid course.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 27, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9316732

Brrrr. Wood stove is burning brightly.
Agenda wise I am tapped today.
This inflammation has got me down.

Enjoy your weekend

M

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 27, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9317106

I asked about "Who Shot Sweet Sue's Spouse". Glad you had fun, and the dinner was good! Most times if the conversation and company is good, everything else is overlooked, and who doesn't like to have someone else cook?!?!\

As for the "contraption" I'm sure that was computer generated. It certainly didn't look like a real backdrop. My friend, that sent the emailed link, is likely sure it's real cuz he said he wouldn't want to have to tune it, and was wondering where it was located...

Well, back to sewing. Have one more RR Center to finish, and then I send all 5 out - 2 different "teams" in one RR group!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 28, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9317920

Hoping all the sewing people on the thread are close to being finished.
I sewed a rip in one of Gord's shirts this morning, THAT is as much sewing as I do LoL

Just rec'd the news that my maternal Uncle has passed away, here in TBay. The funeral will be this week, and, as he is a WW2 vet I am guessing it will be military.
I only hope I can make it, right now I am FORCING myself to remain upright, I sure don't want to be!!

Have spent FAR too much time watching the Weather Network .. can almost recite Sandy's path along with wind strengths and rainfall amounts !!
Then there's the earthquake on the west coast .. hope Linda is OK there.

Off to the shower, hopefully that will make me feel better.

Enjoy your Sunday

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 28, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9318100

~M~ sorry to hear about your uncle's passing... my prayers and thoughts are with you & the family.
I know your hip is still bothering you... hope you can make it to the funeral.

Sandy's effect is going to be on the northern BC coast - tsunami, actually. I can't remember if Canada has Ever had a tsunami before... Is Linda north of Vancouver BC? That's where they're predicting the tsunami to hit...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 28, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9318124

Evening all,

"M" sorry to hear about you Uncle's passing..you have to know you come first so no trying to do something you know you are not up to!

Brrr cold and damp, laying on the chesterfield, covered with a rag quilt, been up twice to turn furnace and fireplace up..these old bones are feeling it!

Watched the coverage when I was up at 4:30 this morning, couldn't sleep so thought I'd best stop trying, get up and get something done..maybe that why I'm chilled to the bones..tired.

"m" last year I worked on sewing projects day/night for weeks before Christmas, love to include something homemade for everyone in their gift box and ended up I'll so started early and soon will be at the end and I can put my feet up.

Have you never liked sewing?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 28, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9318145

Hard to believe there are those out there that don't sew...
There are 2 ladies at church (in their 30's) who don't sew. One can't even sew a button on her DH's shirt, so she has someone else do it, and the other can't do Any sewing at all...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 28, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9318259

I went to catholic girls school. I can't sew, but I can speak 3 languages..really helps when you have a button missing. LOL

Stayed out of bed for 3 hours today. A start I guess.

TTFN

M

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 28, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9318289

LOL Marilyn - that's funny... do you "talk" the buttons through sewing themselves on? Perhaps they don't speak English, but Buttonish... is that one of the languages you learned?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 28, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9318291

You must find it very difficult "M"' are the meds not kicking in at all?

Guess being raised by my grandma and sewing was a must, going to school as well with sisters who also taught homecoming and had to make aprons, skirts etc you could either take to it or not, glad I did but have not mastered it, too busy with a zillion other craft interests.

Storm sure is hitting in a lot of areas, I'm hoping with strong winds if we get it, my leaves will be picked up and moved to another location. Can only hope right..with rainy nd cold weekend went about to go out and work.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 28, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9318294

They now have those guns that attach buttons with one click..might be a gadget to ask Santa for!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 28, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9318310

Those gadgets attach buttons with a plastic "stick". Sure beats having the thread which unravels!!
I think they came out with the K-Tel line...back in the 70's.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9318486

Here's the story on the earthquake. No more tsunami threat unless there's a really large aftershock. http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/national/quake+rattles+coast+residents+sets+tsunami+alerts/7460023/story.html

And Sandy will hit the NORTH EAST coast. We could get between 5 and 10 cm of rain tomorrow from Sandy.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 28, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9318513

Apparently the tsunami warning for BC was lifted after they had a 7.7 magnitude earthquake
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/27/magnitude-77-earthquake-hits-canadas-british-columbia-usgs-reports

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 29, 2012
3:11 AM

Post #9318658

Mornimg all,

ViolaAnn, we'll have about the same weather, raining now and calling for same all weekend..can only pray sump pump doesn't go on the fritz with working so hard..should really buy a backup.

Brrr depressing weather

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9318978

Betty - never thought about a backup for a sump pump, but it sure sounds like a good idea!
I rented a place in Winnipeg that had a sump pump - my first time to have one. Sure was noisy! Mind you, the place had been built in the 20's and surely that part of town was not in Winnipeg and therefore didn't tie into Winnipeg sewage.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 29, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9319266

Have never had a sump pump, but, I guess that might be what we use outside in the spring to drain off Lake Stephenson as the snow melts.
Whe we had the 'flood event' here in May (much like what has happened in Wawa, On) we did use the pump to keep the rising water away from the back door .. as Betty says, they work so well, would hate to be in need of one and have it 'go on the fritz'as the water got higher!!

Did have a sunny day here until about an hour ago, the sun has gone and it looks as though it might rain .. Murray and Gordon and another friend are out moose hunting. Tis the season here.

Running a temp today, low grade, but still and all a temp .. tylenol didn't bring it down ..
I double my arthritis medication tomorrow .. praying that double dosage calms down the pain ..

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9319400

I hope your temp comes down soon, Marilyn...
I also hope the 2x arthritis meds help calm the pain. I'll pray with you...

Yesterday our neighbours called and invited us for chicken dinner - wasn't that nice of them? Really enjoyed the evening and company...!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 29, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9319478

Evenning all

As for the sump pump, basement quite low in the ground..have good tile age but still often hear the pump come off and on during rainy days , only once in major storm was it not able to keep up. Raining but not heavily at the moment, was earlier, it's the wind they are worried about..Lordy, watching tv re storm hitting jersey &NY unbelievable.

You certainly have had quite a time of it "M" feel badly for you..

Susan, always nice to have a meal you don't have to cook!

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 29, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9319581

Boy with all the rain out east I feel bad telling you all that I'm cold!!. Ice and s--- here. Yech! it's also grey skies. Sometimes the Prairies is not so bad though, the east has Sandy and the West has the Shakes , we are just cold!

"M" will keep my fingers crossed for good results wit the double "D".

Sewing was mandatory for me in grades 7-9 even with training I managed to sew a collar onto a sleeve hole. Ha Ha wasn't I a challenge.

Always good when you don't have to cook.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 29, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9319608

Such a headache I have...
It's cold here too, AB Ann... BUT we don't have Those type of shakes they do on the west coast as you say, and although we have winds, they're nothing like those suffered by either coast...
We're awfully blessed to have the weather we do have. I'd complain about cold any day... it's preferable to the other type of weather. Sometimes though, I feel like living the TV show "Live Here And Buy This"... rofl

haha a challenge indeed!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 30, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9319902

Am glad I am not 'down east' or in NY State .. or OHIO !!
Wow, Sandy packed quite the punch. Mother Nature never fails to amaze me.
I see BC is suffering large 'after shocks' .. and snow in Edm and Calgary.
Glad to say we're cool but dry and NOT shaking here in Thunder Bay ..

Just took my double dose, and will play it out, will take 2 more at supper ..

No moose yesterday, Gord and his friend are back out at it again today ..

Not sure what's up here today .. Lorna has pretty much 'found her sea legs' .. and, for that I am happy .. she has been going to town for me etc. She is totally pumped with finding her new freedom .. so .. one good thing has come from my not being well.

Stay warm and dry everyone

~M~

ABANN ... I once made an apron that reached my ankles with an upside down pocket !!!!!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 30, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9320462

LOL "upside down pocket" LOL
as for "reached my ankles" at least you weren't spattering your ankles with hot food!! It's all about protection...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 31, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9320809

Happy Halloween everyone..

On the run, read all the posts, will respond when I get to work

Yikes, dark and brrrr out there, didn't want to get out of bed and now I'm on the run..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 31, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9321008

Happy Hallowe'en everyone!!!!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

October 31, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9321013

Happy Halloween indeed everyone ^_^
I hope you get 'some' Trick or Treaters .. if we're fortunate we'll get one MAYBE 2 .. I think our driveway keeps the kids away. Long and winding and dark (ish).
Mind you, it seems the country folks take their children to town to do their candying.

Today I REFUSE to go to bed, I am dressed and the bed is made and will remain that way .. I just have to learn how to approach this discomfort in some other way.
Besides, my uncle's funeral is tomorrow and I want to attend the service, he's a veteran and there is going to be a nice service for him.

If you can believe it, at 8:30am this morning, 2 gentlemen from Jehovah Witness came to our backdoor .. I was furious .. the dogs were going strange, and they could not have cared .. I finally just told them to 'hit the road' (verbatim)

So .. I am about to make an apple pie from the last apples from our trees .. have Lorna peeling the apples, and I am about to roll out the dough .. Gord will have to wait for the finished product ..

Take care everyone .. we have a cool dry day here ..

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 31, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9321077

8:30?!?! my goodness that's WAY too early. A lot of people are just having their breakfast and starting their day. I know I'm getting stuff done and don't want to be disturbed... !!
Doesn't sound like you thought they were being gentlemanly...

We don't get any trick or treaters... it's a very quiet park, and can be dark too. I agree, most parents take their kids to malls, or private parties at homes, or even to community centers. It will be colder than expected. -3c when the little ones would be heading out.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 31, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9321141

I'm set up for a little over 100 but raining outside so who knows, might have to eat and drink the treats myself.

"M" glad you are attempting to get through the entire day with positive spirit..guess that's half the battle..apple pie and ice cream wouldn't hurt either. It reminds me, froze an apple pie at thanksgiving, could take it out and enjoy before freezer burn.

Say we might get a bit of the white stuff this weekend but I'm hoping they are wrong.

See all the boxes in the mall coming out, just waiting for Nov.1st as to start decorating..hard to believe we are turning that corner.

Did a quilt top, wasn't quite happy with outcome, looked drab but this morning brought fabric and top to work..added presents to the bottom of the tree and am now smilling. Another gift for someone..it's posing a problem, I'm really almost finished so who can I add to my list..am sure I'll find a friend or relative that I can tag their name to it.

Hungry, take lunch at 2:00 to make a short afternoon, now my tummy is growling and I've another hour to go.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 31, 2012

Post #9321180

Betty - are you in the Santa Warren Christmas swap, or Jaye's Christmas Swap? There are 2 ideas for gifting your quilt top...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 31, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9321231

Am in the Santa Warren Christmas Swap

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 31, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9321496

Evening all,

40 trick or treaters, usually around the hundred mark..should have sent all the chocolate bars and chips with Kyle, pop I can keep for Christmas. Guess rain did them in..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 31, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9321526

We didn't have any trick or treaters, and it's almost 8pm.
Much too much snow and cold, I guess.
Mind you, we didn't have any lights on, but didn't hear any and our homes are really close together...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 1, 2012
1:56 AM

Post #9321676

Morning all,

Been wondering if we will ever see sunshine again..still raining
Steady but not where it's at a flooding level but I would imagine soon the ground will be saturated then water will be a problem.

AlbertaAnn, guess the sewing instructor didn't teach the step by step process properly or you would never have sewn collar to sleeve. Lol

"M" how did you make out with trying to stay up all day?? Did doubling the meds help?

Susan, I was amazed at how many houses on the street here had their lights out..wouldn't miss a Halloween, so much fun seeing the creativity and excitement in the children knocking at the door.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 1, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9321849

We live in an older neighbourhood. In 180+ homes, I think there may be about 5 kids in total and they're very young. I usually see young ones go with their parents early evening to the malls, etc. Lots of stores take pics of the little ones.
The 2 community centers in the area have Hallowe'en parties the weekend before.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 1, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9322204

Did the WRONG thing yesterday by staying up and basically over doing.
I couldn't go to my uncle's Memorial Service today :-(
My hip just said NO WAY .. I even tried to manage with a cane .. felt terribly unsafe. So Gordon went on his own.
As well I had a temp this morning .. all said and done .. I am going to have to learn how to 'pace' myself until I have something done or, am seen by the rheumatologist .. I am on the URGENT list to see him, so it should be sooner as opposed to later (ya think)
I called the Arthritis Society yesterday (here in TBay) left a message, no call back as of yet.
Finding all of this a bit stressful.

Cooler day here .. NO snow ~~ :-)

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 1, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9322208

"M" hugs sweetie, sure hope your appt is sooner than later. Why is it the minute one feels better they want to take on the world! Maybe use a timer, when alarm goes off regardless of what is not achieved its back with feet up and rest. Know you feel badly about not attending funeral, must be in major pain for you to have made decision you just weren't up to it.

Went to fabric store, seeing I work from home tomorrow thought I'd buy some supplies..raing heavily on my way home and I think I even saw a snowflake! Yuk

Headache big time, likely seeing I got a call saying the family had been called, MIL rushed to hospital and not doing well got it started, sore shoulders also doesnt help.

All tucked in, maybe a cat nap might help

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 1, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9322427

Marilyn - I agree with Betty hoping that the app't is sooner rather than later.
Please take it easy, and rest that hip!

Betty - your headache is obviously stress-related. Perhaps working on the quilting will take your mind off it, but also get some proper sleep, please.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 2, 2012
2:47 AM

Post #9322519

Another rainy day..enough to get one depressed!

Nora (MIL) passed away 1/2 hour ago

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 2, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9322583

My condolences Betty .. we are sure having our share of family passings !!!!

Lorna is going out today, I was going to tag along (Like she used to with me) but, I thought better of it .. going to phone the specialists office and see what's up.

No rain here, cool and dry .. got some pics from a friend of her home in Clagary decorated for Halloween .. OHMIGOSH .. the SNOW !! And, she says it is there to STAY !!!

TGIF

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 2, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9322701

Betty - so sorry for the family's loss of Nora. They are hurting, I'm sure.

yes, Marilyn, the snow is pretty deep... we're not used to having so much snow this early in the season. Normally we would simply brush it off the sidewalks and decks, but doesn't look like it will go away easily. However, they're talking about double digit weather next Monday, so who knows. Certainly the weather forecasters don't LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 2, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9322785

I am 'gob smacked ". Called the specialists office today and my appointment is DECEMBER 17!!
This was an urgent referral from my doctor.
I hope I can make it!!

Bitterly cold here.. I see there's snow around Toronto
Gordon is still chasing moose around, I think today will do them in and they'll stop til there's snowfall
He is off to Wisconsin in a couple of weeks for deer.

Stay warm

M

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 2, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9322805

Had you thought you'd get in earlier?
Did the Dr give you anything to ease the pain in your hip???

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 2, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9322968

"M" had to run to Barrie for Paul this morning and it was snowing to beat the dickens..nothing left on the ground right now but it's bitter cold. Went to get my hair cut, wore a light jacket and almost froze to death. Decided to get into the tub and warm up, just about to and the mechanic/shrink wrap, friend of Greg's came to winterize and shrink wrap the Foxy Lady..you know, never took her out once this year..much too busy to go boating.

Greg spend all night at the hospital with his grandmother, went to work and just got home when I called to say he had to come and help with the boat, sure he wasn't impressed but go to do what you got to do. Had about 6 weeks since the boat's been in the yard, they wait to take off the bottom end mechanics and shrink wrap when, when it's bitter cold and snowing.

Best I not get into the tub just incase they need my help

That is terribly "M" to have to wait so long for your appointment..now what would happen if you just showed up at emerge and said you could go anywhere, that you were in too much pain, would they bring a doctor in???

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 2, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9322996

Susan .. as my family doc had red flagged my referral as URGENT, I had thought perhaps 2-3 weeks wait .. I have been given oxycontin for pain, this drug is absolutely useless!!! I get really chatty, and want to do things, but, the pain remains, so, I stick with tylenol extra strength.

That shrink wrapping is a talent Betty. When 'kookie Carol' next door had her pontoon boat, we would watch the guy shrink wrap it in the fall, took him a couple of hours or more .. But, it was 'rodent free' for the winter. She finally sold the pontoon boat.

YAHOO .. no snow (yet), just bitter cold ..

Ordered my first Xmas gift online today .. am buying Gord a Keurig coffeemaker (single) it was $88.77 !!! In the stores here I can't find one under $125.00 .. here's hoping he likes it ^_^

Off to watch the news ..

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 2, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9323010

wow M - that is a good price for a Keurig - here there's $125 also...
I would think they're expensive to get supplies for though, right? I would gather the price has gone down a bit though, right?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 3, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9323689

My daughter in law knows of a place where you can buy the little containers for about a dollar a piece , I'm guessing that's a good price ..
I remember our first coffee maker, a big old Phillips, has to have been a good 28 years ago .. I was just thrilled to receive it as a gift for Xmas and it lasted a very long time ... been through a few since then.

Been a slow going day, laundry, a little housework a shower and a pedicure !!
Still painful to get around, but, I think I best keep moving, or, seize up ..

Cool and dry here

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 3, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9323767

Evening all,

Did not rain today, imagine that..on the cold side though!

My sister bought me a Keurig for Christmas..I'm not a perked coffee fan, like my instant but like having it when someone drops in who likes perked..I found I buy the boxes of different favors at Canadian Tire when they are on sale, often the cheapest. Am sure Gord will make great use of it. How is the hunt ?

Sewed all morning, finally got ambitious and headed to town, bought a few suits/tops for the viewing and funeral, needed to look presentable..was going to bathe, get into Jammie's and watch tv but "M" thinking I should do my nails and get pretty like you.

Sorry to hear you are struggling "M" to get everyday things done, what a blessing you have Lorna to help.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 3, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9323826

Moose hunting is on the. Back burner for a bit.
Gordon is getting into Wisconsin mode for the deer hunt. He leaves in 10 days.
He says he'll say home if I feel I need him to, but I'll be fine with Lorna here as well as my son and others if need be.

I think you'll look wonderful for the services Betty, but. It is nice to have a wee bit of pampering. My toenails are hot pink!!

Hoping to find a movie on the tube tonight.

Clocks back an hour at bedtime

M

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 3, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9323852

Am sure you are in the best of hands "M" with Lorna watching over you.

Still didn't get my nails done, went to look for a few photo's for the albums for the funeral home and took a trip down memory lane, not always a fun thing to do..

I'll leVe clocks for the a.m. That way when I think I've slept in I'll be surprised its an hour earlier lol
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

November 3, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9323912

Betty, sorry to hear of your MIL passing having a mom go from a family is big.
I thought your strategy for "M" with the timer was a good idea.
"M" constant pain is awful , I too would have thought that Urgent meant sooner than 6 weeks. With the oxy have you tried doing 1/2 a pill to see if it will take the edge off with out the goofy installed? I found that after knee surgery a whole was too much so I cut them in 1/2 and it worked much better for me. Watch out they do plug you up, if you know what I mean.

Well all you out east are getting the snow we have! Halloween was snowed out here and now I have to figure how to get all my decorations out from under the freezing rain then the snow ,crusty, snow. I also hope to get out my carrots tomorrow as they are under the same snow fall. I will be digging tomorrow. All I can say is I prefer the snow to the stuff that is happening out east! I sure feel for all those folks.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 3, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9323927

Hi ABAnn! You're digging out carrots? I guess the ground isn't frozen yet...?!

I'm going to have to change the clocks tonight, or I'll forget...

I think I'm going to have a hot bath, then pamper my feet with the foot scrub & cream you sent, LK - oh, and use the body wash, and puff! Feel like pampering myself now. Think I'll paint my toesies, now that you mention it, with the "ice" red nail polish you sent! Wish I'd kept the "toe separator" I had, but never used... hmmm maybe use some cotton balls... then I'll have to sit for 1/2 hour and can't do a thing LOL Then it's "into my nightie, and red socks"
LK - you sent me such a lovely bunch of "Canadian" red/white stuff, and I really love it! Thank you again my swap buddy!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

November 4, 2012
3:41 AM

Post #9324103

morning all, nice to get up at 7am and realize its only 6am. Lol

AlbertaAnn, how right you are, we complain when we have nothing really to complain about weather wise..usually we are inconvenienced for a day or two and I for one can't imagine how the east coast residents can get up, dust themselves off only to have same weather threat and damage another year..thanking the Lord for his blessings.

Do you have a cold cellar?? When I lived at the lake Roger made me one under front verandah..bricked in..had 4 large bins and rows of shelving to accommodate his pickling..was so nice to just walk down during winter months and make use of it.

Susan, how nice for you to pamper yourself..bet you slept better for it.

Don't have to be at the funeral hall until 2pm so will keep myself busy by machine quilting one of the 3 tops I just made...

What are you all up to today?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 4, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9324162

Today I am going out!! I am fed up with staying inside. Going to try Shoppers pick up some vitamins etc

Gordon dug up the remaining carrots last week. They were actually sweet.

AbAnn the thought of snow rankles me. Re the oxycontin I can have 2 every 6 hours, but am finding one every 4 works well. The. Constipation side effects have held me back, but the rheumatoid arthritis drug I am taking causes diarrhea! Talk about a rumbly tummy!

Susan hope you enjoyed your pamper time.

Thoughts are with you Betty.

M

This message was edited Nov 4, 2012 9:06 AM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

November 4, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9324228

It was so nice to pamper myself... and I did my nails as well as my tootsies!his is something I never do, but what the heck, eh?
Yes ABAnn & Betty - we "inlanders" are so blessed, and oh hey... Northerners too! We may have cold, but we don't have hurricanes and tornadoes, or earthquakes, or tsetse flies!!

Betty - will be thinking of you today, at the funeral...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9324340

Just checking in and catching up. Had a visitor overnight on Friday from Montreal - president of the Canadian Viola Society, here to make an award presentation at the university orchestra concert to Rennie Regehr who was directly it and who has been a major contributor to teaching viola for his career.

Then yesterday I had a dress rehearsal and a concert. Now catching up!

Keurig - I would consider buy them if I could find something that would allow me to use my own coffee and not create garbage with each cup. I think something may exist - anyone know?

And Betty,. I'm sorry to hear of the Passing of your DMIL.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

November 4, 2012

Post #9324384

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286742/

Moved us on over ...

Hope to see you there ^_^

~M~

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America