Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Homesteading: It's October already!!

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 88, Views: 767
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9292509

And here's a new thread. We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278042/#new

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9292576

well im going to leave my potato's in the ground. Give them an extra coating of soil and some straw.
got some things pulled in the memory garden. Many plants i had recieved finely got planted ! and i got tags on them.
dug up glad's man i got a ton of them ! yikes .
i need to plan my garlic planting. I will do that in the next two weeks depending on weather
got some cool squash ! can't remember the name off hand . Big Cheese wheel ? i had it last year too. will try and dig up a pic
just need to get some mums and aster's to plant .
found a giant skull that glows in the dark ! LOL love it for Gigi's garden its sooo cool.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
11:38 PM

Post #9293207

October already Raining and cool - not even winter and I miss summer already.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9293274

Dyson i m with you. I miss summer it went by to short.
though i do like no bugs in winter ! LOL
well it is raining here too so i won't be doing much outside :( i guess its an inside day
i did get the Carol Burnett DVD , that will be fun to watch

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9293560

Gads, I have SO much still to do in the garden/yard, and a short window to do it before we get cold weather. It seems like on the days I have the oomph to work in the garden, it always rains.

I'm waiting for the man who does some of the work I cannot do, to come and clear the fence lines to the road (and along the property line) so I can paint the fence before it totally rots away. My neighbor painted his side of the common fence line about 2 weeks ago, so that part will be easier once the area around the fence posts get trimmed with a weed eater.

Of course, the common fence line is about 200' long so it will take some time to do that part of the job. The shorter fences from our bridge to the road are covered in poison ivy, and both sides need painting. I hope the 5 gallon bucket of barn/fence paint I bought will be enough.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9293987

good luck with the painting darius.
didn't do much today
watched two good movies based on true stories
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9296404

i'M WAITING FOR THE NEIGHBORS TO TAKE THE BEANS OFF THE FIELD THEN i'M GOING TO USE A COUPLE GALLONS OF DEISEL FUEL TO GET RID OF THE GROWTH THERE. i DON'T WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE AND BURN THE BEANS THOUGH. Oooops! sorry for all the caps!!! There are way to many whistlepigs and wild roses and poison ivy and such. I figure I can burn it all out and leave the few big trees standing. Then get busy ripping out the old barb wire and t posts.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9296534

Here's my hazelnut (filbert) bush before it leafed out this year, and the crop from last year and this year's harvest. I planted the tiny thing 4 years ago. Last year was the first time it produced any nuts... a whopping 15 nuts! This year there were about 125 nuts.

Now I want to plant more hazelnut varieties!

Thumbnail by darius   Thumbnail by darius   Thumbnail by darius      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9296978

what will you do wth the nuts darius ?
we will be off and running to a poulrty show in lucusville tomorrow. won't be back till sunday.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9297102

Well, IF I had a good grain grinder, I'd grind the nuts into flour, or at least into a hazelnut butter!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 7, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9298795

we are back
3 new banty size cochins
3 new seabrites ( Sp? )
1 new cage LOL
great fun but i m pooped
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9299850

Small Project - The step daughter is moving out of the house that our old apartment was attached too... I had installed some small concrete pads (11.75 x 11.75 x 1.5 ) to park the bike on. So I dug them up and used them to extend the sidewalk that does not reach the street.

Thumbnail by Dyson
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9299859

A friend from across the street, saw me digging with a putty knife and a hammer, asked me if I needed a shovel.

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9299860

I told him no thanks - I have a dozen or so.

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9299869

It does take a long time to dig this way. But I do not think I could have gotten there results with a shovel, besides I have nothing but time.

Thumbnail by Dyson

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9299949

Nice Job/Project, Dyson!

On the other hand, I haven't done squat... and I also have nothing but time.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 6:29 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9300081

i agree .
nice job Dyson.
not much going on here
i am reaserching solar panels for our house. we are deciding on wood furnace or solar.
Solar seems to take a longer time to get your money back on up to 15 yrs ? so i have read.
I don't know if i want to cut wood ? but it is free after the last 3 yrs . I would have to buy cords of wood for the first 3 yrs until i got mine seasoned .
don't know if i want to buy batteries every 5 -7 yrs ? so its a project for me to do all this reasearch.
cider is going slow. the woman i work with didn't show up ...
weather is cold 30 this morning brrrrr
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9300114

It was not 30 here ... but it was cold. This house has an oil furnace and we are not sure of how much fuel is in the tank so we only run it for a few moments on cold mornings to "knock off the chill".

Sue has applied for a loan against the house and we have been getting estimates on heat pump installations. We did not want to go into dept but cannot afford oil. I would like to put in a wood stove also.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2012
10:20 PM

Post #9300270

Sue, you (and Dyson) need to watch the series of videos before you make any decisions, but don't watch just this one... he has about 15, and all have great (and cheap) ideas for low-cost heat.

Aluminum Downspout Hot Air Solar Collector Construction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a62mZMIMpc0&feature=related

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9300378

thanks darius. you always have the greatest links.
we have geothermal and its nice but its a cool heat . saves us big money and the pay off is only 5 yrs ?
last month our cost on a 3 story house electric heat was only 90.00
i don't think our bills have ever exceded over 200.00 and we have high ceilings too.
i m also getting a jump s tart on some clean eating again. i just got into old habits and what not ect...
still have to get garlic in ground . may do that thursday ? LOL
the new chickens are doing well but i didn't buy the peice of wood for the bottom of the new cage. it was only 10,00 it was more convinent then anything but i will check out Lowes today for some and do it myself. LOL
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9300824

Excellent Link! A much better design than the one I was considering ( from mother earth news ). This is going near the top of the "to do" list.

Thank you darius!

Edited to say - shared on face book.

This message was edited Oct 9, 2012 5:43 PM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9300855

i agree. it looks much better then what i have found
well my son needs glasses and boy is he near sighted ! poor kid. blind as a bat.
going to make some deer jerky tomorrow before i leave for work , need to dig out my book.
may do some apples too. on thurs
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9302985

Since day one here I have wanted to paint the Garage / Shed.

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9302989

One of the previous occupants had already painted the top to match the shutters on the house - but the rest was bare metal and t-111 paneling.

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9302992

Got the two sides that can be seen painted to match the house yesterday.

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9302995

Took two coats - now I need to get busy with the chain saw and get the other two sides cleared.

Thumbnail by Dyson

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9303034

You are getting right industrious, Dyson!

I finally dug my Belgian endive roots and prepped them for winter storage. I'll set out a few at a time starting in late December to sprout. Takes 3-4 weeks to grow the torpedo-shaped heads we see in the grocery stores.

Now I just need to re-do that bed and get garlic and shallots planted.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9303765

A few weeks ago - Jason (brother-in-law) was rear ended. He was driving the metro
(2001 ?) and the girl (16 yo had just got her permit) was in a full size pick up. Totaled the metro. Jason is parting out the car, I asked him for the heater blower figuring to use it for the solar heat grabber from darius' link. It is of course 12 VDC which means I can run it off a car battery charged by solar cells - this way it will truly be a solar heat system!

Yesterday spent the day painting the kitchen - Sue did the walls and I did the trim. Today, we are going to help David (neighbor, across the street) put a new roof on his porch.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9303905

Dyson, good idea to use a solar-charged 12v DC battery and fan for that kind of system!

Here's a cool Google Hack app that shows sun movement and sunlight phases during any given day at any given location. You just find your house in Google maps via the search box at the top.

You can see sun positions at sunrise, specified time and sunset. The thin orange curve is the current sun trajectory, and the yellow area around is the variation of sun trajectories during the year. The closer a point is to the center, the higher is the sun above the horizon. The colors on the time slider above show sunlight coverage during the day.

The photos below are my house, satellite view, on the longest and shortest days of the year.

http://www.suncalc.net/#/51.508,-0.125,2/2012.10.13/11:43

Thumbnail by darius   Thumbnail by darius         

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9304117

the apple orchard i work at is closing its doors... pretty sad about it. Wish i could convince him to let me keep it going and running.
to sick to do anything... body hurts. head hurts ect...
i guess the garden will wait.
nice paint job on the garage Dyson.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9304134

Roof is on - I am beat, night
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9307119

Just wanted to pop in for a minute to let everyone know my precious Momma passed away last Saturday morning. I was with her for almost 2 weeks. She was in the hospital when I got here. I stayed with her the 2 nights at the hospital and then we brought her home with hospice care. I did not leave her side after we got home other than to pick up meds. I am so glad I had that time with her. She was unresponsive a good part of the time but I know she knew I was with her. I will miss her so very much but I know she is in Heaven and I will see her again. Her services will be this Friday and Saturday. We will stay here until next Monday. I am trying to get the house more user friendly for Poppa as he cannot see well at all.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9307150

Cheryl, I'm SO glad you got to spend time with her!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9307327

Cajun - sorry about your loss, and thank you for reminding me that I need to spend some more time with my mother.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9307422

Cajun i m so sorry to hear of you mom's passing
many many blessings and prayers for you and your family.
some pretty pics of my backyard and my faithful compainion Lucy
found a bunch of the large puff mushrooms ! very exciting .

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors   

porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 16, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9307544

Cajun, I'm glad you got to be with your mother in her last days.

Taynors - lovely leaves!
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9307834

you have my sympathies, Cajun. Never easy to lose someone you love. I had to bury my sister this past August. Not fun at all.

Traynors, I fried up a skillet full of puffballs Monday night.I like to mix them with onions and put them on either steaks or baked potatoes. good eats!!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9307854

Busy yesterday - upgraded the electric service from 100 amps to 200 amps - replaced an element in the water heater - today it is back to cleaning up around the garage so I can get the other side and back painted.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9308278

I thought about picking a few of them and getting some marshmellows and making a StayPuff Marshmellow man LOL
i have heard they are tasty .
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9310230

TY all. I made it through the wake tonight. Just have to make it through the funeral in the morning. DH is preaching her service. DD will be singing, my great niece will be playing amazing grace on her violin, a cousin will play piano and another cousin will be doing the grave side service. 6 grandsons will be pall bearers. Momma would be proud. We are laying her body to rest in a beautiful suit she made for her 80th BD party. I said she was being buried in her BD suit. My brother laughed and said Momma would have liked that joke.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 20, 2012
5:42 AM

Post #9310353

Caj LOL to funny BD suit. LOL
i told my family just put my Dolly Parton Wig on .
Sometimes i wonder if i did the right thing with my DD. ?
oh i have to return her birdbath ! its rusting in the water bowl part ? grrrr. what a pain . Funeral place said they will take it back but gosh " what a pain "
still need to get my garlic in the ground LOL and my 300 bulbs of crocus and my iris ...
we got a good rain last night.
i m going to a friends house this weekend and will meet up with some other friends. Lucy will come wht us.
big coffee today

Thumbnail by taynors

NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9310430

headin to Hardin county today to look for some neck pumpkins. I picked one up at the farmer's market in Bellefontaine a couple weeks ao for my FIL and it looks like I created a monster. He hasn't stopped harpin on me to find him another one. Not that I can blame him; they are pretty decent eatin. The letter between f and H on my 'puterbox quit workin so I am tryin to work around it until payday.. It's a PITA.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9310448

use a "6"
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9310473

I was thinking of that,but then allof a sudden, the G started working again. ain't that some $%#@?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9311518

Once my R went out and i used the W for my replacment LOL it got vewy entewtaning
went ot Jungle Jims Today a specialty market the size of costco ! spent more then i budgeted for but worth it
got some parmesean Reggiano cheese , golden cheshire cheese , Himalayan Sea Salt and wow what a difference in taste wow...
got some asian stuff for my soups ,
some noodles . large shells and rigottoni shells.
stuff i usually can't find around my area.
spent a good weekend with a friend .
beautiful day out ! sunny warm wow.
Neck pumpkins ? can't say i know what them is ? but sound very interesting.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9311642

Sue, google "Tromboncino Squash"
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9311890

Spent most of my free time last week with a chain saw and clippers clearing the back and far side of the garage area - was way overgrown & full of trash - not done yet but can almost walk around the entire building.

BIL picked up a new bike last week (1982 Yamaha Virago 920 ) Put a battery, fresh fuel & spark plugs in it and got it running yesterday - still needs tires - but so far he only has 200.00 in it total.

Had Job interviews last week that went well and hopefully will be employed again soon.

Pic (front to back) Jason's Virago, My Shadow, Jason's Ninja -

Thumbnail by Dyson

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9311923

sweeet riides Dyson.
darius ok i know what those are . Didn't know they were aslo called other names . thanks :)
good morning rise and shine ... i m dragging today.
No rest for the wicked i guess im told
Dyson hope the job comes through for you .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9312031

I finally got the painting finished on the fence between the road and our bridge over the creek. I had to rig up some scaffolding to stand on in a couple of spots where the fill falls away sharply on the banks. Now I just have about 200+ feet of fence along the property line on one side to paint.

Second photo is the lower half on the property line fence. Of course, the whole property is not fenced... there's 19 acres of steep woods running up behind the house.

Thumbnail by darius   Thumbnail by darius         

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9312429

Talked to the head hunter - need to go to Roanoke and fill out paper work tomorrow - should be working next Monday.

Looks good darius!

Spent the day cleaning out behind the garage / shed ,,, except a couple of quick bike rides to blow the sawdust off my clothes - hey the weather was nice and I'll use any excuse I can to get bike time in.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9312437

Dyson LOL . i agree it is great weather for a bike ride.
Nice work darius on the fence. love fresh painted fences .
vacuming sealing some venision.
sectioning off part of the GH to make room for the chickens and rabbits. to over winter them . I need to get them out of the basement as it is driving me crazy
the orchard is winding down . i hope i can get 2 more weeks out of it. Need more money to pay for my projects.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9312461

Good Luck, Dyson!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9313403

Glad all you guys are making so much progress on your projects.

I grew trombocino squash and did not know it was also called neck pumpkins.

The funeral was hard but I made it. Mom would have been very proud of us all. And she would have enjoyed it. Family was her life.

We went down the bayou on Sunday and DH preached at the church where he served as associate pastor and school administrator. It was nice to see everyone again. Then we went way down the bayou to Chauvin to visit Poppa Lou. He is DH's best friend in the whole world. His wife, a very dear friend to us, passed away a few years ago and Poppa Lou had cancer but is now cancer free. We visited for hours and he and DH talked about football and fishing. They used to fish together nearly every day. They were both charter captains. They sure do have some big fish stories. :)

Started home yesterday and the van broke down 5 1/2 hours into our 12 hour trip. It was 10pm and we had taken a different route home so we could see some new sights. We called 911 and a trooper came out to help us. He was a really nice guy. He called a tow truck for us and took us to a hotel in the squad car. I rode in the back. Don't reccomend it. No leg room. He left us there and when I reached for my cell phone it was gone. My pistol was gone from my pocket too. Figured they had fallen in the back of the squad car so we called his dispatcher so he would know to look for the pistol before he put a crminal in the back seat. Turned out it had fallen off in the van when I was putting DH's pistol in the center console before the wrecker loaded it up. Shew!!

We got rooked by the wrecker. Quoted us $75 on the roadside and charged us $150. Looks like the torc converter has gone out. We have tried in vain to rent a truck and a trailer or tow dolly to drag it on to Ky. Nobody takes cash and we don't have a credit card. So, DS and a friend are coming in the morning with a trailer to bring us back to La. DS has already located us a new tranny and we will have it put in and then try again to get back to KY.

It has been such a stressful trip. On Wednesday morning of last week I was attacked by 2 American bulldogs. The big male was tied up but the not as big female had come into heat and jumped out of her pen. The male did not want me around her and I did not want her around me because she is sneaky and she kept trying to get behind me. She started barking and coming at me and he started getting agitated. I was trying to get past them to get to the house and he jumped on me and bit my jaw before I could get out of his reach. Thanks to God, the dog knocked me back out of his reach when he jumped on me but I tripped on some bricks around a flower bed and fell on my back and then the other dog got on me. I got under the house and was able to keep her back by kicking at her. I was hollering and somebody came out of the house and rescued me. It was by the grace of God I was not killed or hurt any worse. I was bit on the jaw, leg and stomach. May the dogs rest in pieces!!!!

I did have a couple high points in my visit. Went to the old home places of Aunt Alli Ree, who raised my Dad, and Maw Maw Vercie, who was like my adopted grandma. They were both overgrown and falling in but I got a few momentos and enjoyed some good memories. Also went to our old place down the bayou. The house is abandoned and falling in after getting water a few times in the last few years. It was sad to see the flowerbed all overgrown and dying. The pond was busted up. One of the trees I tied my hammock to was dead and broken off. One of the two fig trees was gone. But I picked up pecans from the tree in the back yard. I coulda filled up a 5 gallon bucket but the skeeters were packin me off. I also picked a few big air potatoes from my old vines. I'll be glad to get those going in Spring. Always liked them for screening bad spots.

Think I may take a nap.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9313425

Cajun oh my gosh that goodness your ok, Sending healing energy your way .

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 23, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9313524

Gosh, if you didn't have bad luck... you'd have no luck at all.

Kinda like me...
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9313828

neck pumpkins are Pennsylvania crook neck squash. when you buy canned pumpkin it is more often than not neck pumpkin. They look sort of like a butternut squash on steroids. They 9et up to 25 lbs. They make the most awesome breads and pies. The Amish around here eat them alot like sweet potatoes, since the flavour is about the same. I was havin dinner with some Amish friends a couple weeks a9o and they put a rin9 of the neck on my plate with a bi9 9lob of butter. It was fantastic. Sorry your trip was such a bust Cajin. lad you have family that was able to help.

Nice Bike Dyson

I lived down by Jun9le Jims years back. My Mother lives about 2 miles from there now. I 9o there whenever I 9o to visit Mom. You can buy almost anythin there. Any foodstuff anyway.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9313868

Spent most of the day yesterday filing out paper work for the new job, then they sent me to a clinic for a drug test. After that ripped the furnace (oil) out of the basement to make room for the heat pump that is supposed to be installed today. It is out of the way but I am disassembling it cause it will not fit through the door way, only thing I can figure is it was installed before the door was framed in. HVAC guy just called - the heat pump will not be installed until tomorrow.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9314063

Nik, a lot of the canned pumpkin is made from Cushaw Squash, and mixed varieties of winter squash... they all taste about the same when the traditional spices are added.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9314370

squash has such a neutral flavor IMHO. i do love squash for that very reason. add any flavor and it just gets enhanced by the squash.
I may have to try one,
well i got some of the deer in the oven. A roast. and i cooked up some s teaks... did a Monte Buerre sauce with it. just added butter and some garlic to the pan juices. Very gamey . i don't mind ... just hope it is good meat. ? it is a bit older . as i got it from our hunter . from last jan 12 . still lookes good not freezer burn or discoloration , smells good , just very gamey ?
have not cooked game in a very looooong time ..
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9314385

Great - now I am hungry !
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9315472

Heat pump is installed - should get a full test next week - according to the weather reports.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9315755

game was good the day after ! much better flavor and not as gamey . so the sauce kinda took over the meat wich is ok
off to work
99 gallons of cider on the wall... 99 gallons of cider... take one down pass it around 98 gallons of cider on the wall.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9315760

Sue ~ to remove the gamey taste from venison before cooking just soak in cold water with a tad of vinegar or baking soda added. I let it thaw in that blend. The vinegar will also help to tenderize ~ IMO
If it is prepared correctly when first harvested, that taste will be mild. Good stuff.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9316151

thanks podster.
i will try that also on my next batch'
well cider season is coming to an end. we will press cider until Thanksgiving but the hrs will be half of what we did in OCt. :( that is a bummer part.
got my bulbs in the ground ,,, lets hope my mole don't eat them ! put some bait out for it... hope they eat it and not my crocus. ?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9316385

Sorry to hear about the cider biz being slow, not a good apple crop?

If you (or yours) are the hunters, the best way to remove the taste is to quarter or section the deer. Soak the chunks in large ice chests full of ice. Drain off the water daily and add more ice. That will help remove alot of the blood and wild taste. It is easy to do this way as you can work on it a piece at a time. Also remove all the white membrane as well as any fat. When it comes to freezing it, I like to freeze in water although friends swear by vacuum packing. Either will prevent freezer burn. You are making me hungry!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9316388

i did do some vac and sealing on it.
no we got this from our hunter friends.
apple crop was good for us considering others did so bad. Just sales slow down this time of year and so do our hrs. We are not doing the 150 gals . today we only did 75.
got the kids watching the Munsters LOL
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9316424

Mmmm... Munsters ~ where's the popcorn?
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9316736

!

Thumbnail by Dyson

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9316937

Yep, we're gonna get it. :(

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9317136

sending you all prayers for the upcoming storm. sure hope you all stay safe.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9317291

More worried about the snow - after. I have enough scrap steel saved that I should be able to recycle on Monday and stock up on Kerosene - if the power stays on till then - if not we are burn'in wood.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9317301

Here are the pumpkins i was talking about
i know i have the name somewhere.

Thumbnail by taynors

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9317324

It looks kinda like Muscat de Provenše, a Cucurbita moschata... or something I've had before who's name escapes me...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 27, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9317332

I thought you start the new job on Monday?

My concern is also power outages. Trees fall on the power lines here like matchsticks in the wind. I have a wood stove for heat and cooking, but should bring some firewood up to the front porch before it gets soaked. If it doesn't get cold enough AND the power goes out, I have 2 freezers full of food that I'll have to deal with. Yuck.

I'm kinda glad I didn't get my garlic and shallots planted yet. The bed where they go will surely get washed out by the flooding creek if we get the amount of rain they say.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9317445

Job start is on delay until I hear from the head hunter.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9317742

darius hope you don't get to much sandy .
The only thing i know on the pumpkin i have to use a ax to cut it in half LOL
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9319626

Dyson, Did I pass you this morning going South on Hwy 220, about a mile from the scrap yard? If it wasn't you, it was a truck loaded to the gills with scrap metal. Hope you hear from the headhunter soon and land the job.

That's a mighty fine looking pumpkin, Sue. The big pumpkin winner this year was http://630wpro.com/Article.asp?id=2543508&spid=38784
I watched an interview on TV when he revealed the seeds were Dill's Atlantic Giant. I can't imagine watching a pumpkin grow 40 pounds a day, but he did and what a purse!

Winds are whippin' and have only had a smidgen of rain, mostly last night. We're toasty with fire from the wood stove and have enough provisions we won't starve if we do lose power. Stay safe and don't get snowed in yet, Darius. It's a bit early for the white stuff, but who knows?

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9319701

Sue I have been home all day except when I took my sis-in-law to work in the morning and picked her up after - its OK she is not that heavy.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9319711

Your sense of humor gave me a chuckle. It was raining leaves today. Hope your Sue got to see the Fall foliage on the mountains before the leaves fell.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9319845

Do not know if you noticed while here - but the new home has an excellent view of Grassy Hill Mountain (nature preserve) right from the front porch. Unless of course it is obscured by fog, does not happen often, but does happen.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9319961

todays weather forecast here in OHIO
oh i want one of the big monster pumpkins ! 40 lbs a day that is a lot of fertilizer !

Thumbnail by taynors   Thumbnail by taynors         

yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9320189

School closed today because of snow? Who heard of closing school in October? It may turn out to be an interesting winter. A complete opposite of last year. ARRRRGH

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9320228

We had several inches of snow overnight, and now it's snowing sideways in the wind. Power has been off intermittently, and we still have a day or two forecast of more of snow and wind.
NikB
Belle Center, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9320260

We had 3 inches on the ground this AM. Wet slushy stuff. by noon it was 4 1/2. by 1300 is was all slush and everyone is waitinggg for the rain and wind. ggonna be an interestingg winter as in the Chinese curse interesting. I'd love to just have a couple of boring, normal (is there such a thing?) years.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9320284

According to the radar it was supposed to be snowing here this morning but it must have been upper atmosphere cause the only thing white that I have seen today is Sue's poodle and that thing is always laying around sleeping (unless you are trying to eat then she wants to be all up in your face).

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9320345

i think we got about over 4" of snow.
but its all mush this afternoon. Started to rain/slush by 2 pm. very slippery outside ... ask me how i know LOL " ouch"

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9320451

The Storm that Wasn't? LOL

Although in reality many people were affected, some dead, and power outages and problems in many places... just not as bad as the hype.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9320492

Atlantic City, NJ

Thumbnail by Dyson

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9321817

New thread -

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286453/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America