It's October already!!

Belle Center, OH(Zone 5a)

And here's a new thread. We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278042/#new

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

well im going to leave my potato's in the ground. Give them an extra coating of soil and some straw.
got some things pulled in the memory garden. Many plants i had recieved finely got planted ! and i got tags on them.
dug up glad's man i got a ton of them ! yikes .
i need to plan my garlic planting. I will do that in the next two weeks depending on weather
got some cool squash ! can't remember the name off hand . Big Cheese wheel ? i had it last year too. will try and dig up a pic
just need to get some mums and aster's to plant .
found a giant skull that glows in the dark ! LOL love it for Gigi's garden its sooo cool.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

October already Raining and cool - not even winter and I miss summer already.

Dyson i m with you. I miss summer it went by to short.
though i do like no bugs in winter ! LOL
well it is raining here too so i won't be doing much outside :( i guess its an inside day
i did get the Carol Burnett DVD , that will be fun to watch

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Gads, I have SO much still to do in the garden/yard, and a short window to do it before we get cold weather. It seems like on the days I have the oomph to work in the garden, it always rains.

I'm waiting for the man who does some of the work I cannot do, to come and clear the fence lines to the road (and along the property line) so I can paint the fence before it totally rots away. My neighbor painted his side of the common fence line about 2 weeks ago, so that part will be easier once the area around the fence posts get trimmed with a weed eater.

Of course, the common fence line is about 200' long so it will take some time to do that part of the job. The shorter fences from our bridge to the road are covered in poison ivy, and both sides need painting. I hope the 5 gallon bucket of barn/fence paint I bought will be enough.

good luck with the painting darius.
didn't do much today
watched two good movies based on true stories

i'M WAITING FOR THE NEIGHBORS TO TAKE THE BEANS OFF THE FIELD THEN i'M GOING TO USE A COUPLE GALLONS OF DEISEL FUEL TO GET RID OF THE GROWTH THERE. i DON'T WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE AND BURN THE BEANS THOUGH. Oooops! sorry for all the caps!!! There are way to many whistlepigs and wild roses and poison ivy and such. I figure I can burn it all out and leave the few big trees standing. Then get busy ripping out the old barb wire and t posts.

Here's my hazelnut (filbert) bush before it leafed out this year, and the crop from last year and this year's harvest. I planted the tiny thing 4 years ago. Last year was the first time it produced any nuts... a whopping 15 nuts! This year there were about 125 nuts.

Now I want to plant more hazelnut varieties!

Thumbnail by darius Thumbnail by darius Thumbnail by darius

what will you do wth the nuts darius ?
we will be off and running to a poulrty show in lucusville tomorrow. won't be back till sunday.

Well, IF I had a good grain grinder, I'd grind the nuts into flour, or at least into a hazelnut butter!

we are back
3 new banty size cochins
3 new seabrites ( Sp? )
1 new cage LOL
great fun but i m pooped

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Small Project - The step daughter is moving out of the house that our old apartment was attached too... I had installed some small concrete pads (11.75 x 11.75 x 1.5 ) to park the bike on. So I dug them up and used them to extend the sidewalk that does not reach the street.

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

A friend from across the street, saw me digging with a putty knife and a hammer, asked me if I needed a shovel.

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I told him no thanks - I have a dozen or so.

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

It does take a long time to dig this way. But I do not think I could have gotten there results with a shovel, besides I have nothing but time.

Thumbnail by Dyson

Nice Job/Project, Dyson!

On the other hand, I haven't done squat... and I also have nothing but time.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 6:29 PM

i agree .
nice job Dyson.
not much going on here
i am reaserching solar panels for our house. we are deciding on wood furnace or solar.
Solar seems to take a longer time to get your money back on up to 15 yrs ? so i have read.
I don't know if i want to cut wood ? but it is free after the last 3 yrs . I would have to buy cords of wood for the first 3 yrs until i got mine seasoned .
don't know if i want to buy batteries every 5 -7 yrs ? so its a project for me to do all this reasearch.
cider is going slow. the woman i work with didn't show up ........
weather is cold 30 this morning brrrrr

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

It was not 30 here ... but it was cold. This house has an oil furnace and we are not sure of how much fuel is in the tank so we only run it for a few moments on cold mornings to "knock off the chill".

Sue has applied for a loan against the house and we have been getting estimates on heat pump installations. We did not want to go into dept but cannot afford oil. I would like to put in a wood stove also.

Sue, you (and Dyson) need to watch the series of videos before you make any decisions, but don't watch just this one... he has about 15, and all have great (and cheap) ideas for low-cost heat.

Aluminum Downspout Hot Air Solar Collector Construction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a62mZMIMpc0&feature=related

thanks darius. you always have the greatest links.
we have geothermal and its nice but its a cool heat . saves us big money and the pay off is only 5 yrs ?
last month our cost on a 3 story house electric heat was only 90.00
i don't think our bills have ever exceded over 200.00 and we have high ceilings too.
i m also getting a jump s tart on some clean eating again. i just got into old habits and what not ect...
still have to get garlic in ground . may do that thursday ? LOL
the new chickens are doing well but i didn't buy the peice of wood for the bottom of the new cage. it was only 10,00 it was more convinent then anything but i will check out Lowes today for some and do it myself. LOL

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Excellent Link! A much better design than the one I was considering ( from mother earth news ). This is going near the top of the "to do" list.

Thank you darius!

Edited to say - shared on face book.

This message was edited Oct 9, 2012 5:43 PM

i agree. it looks much better then what i have found
well my son needs glasses and boy is he near sighted ! poor kid. blind as a bat.
going to make some deer jerky tomorrow before i leave for work , need to dig out my book.
may do some apples too. on thurs

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Since day one here I have wanted to paint the Garage / Shed.

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

One of the previous occupants had already painted the top to match the shutters on the house - but the rest was bare metal and t-111 paneling.

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Got the two sides that can be seen painted to match the house yesterday.

Thumbnail by Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Took two coats - now I need to get busy with the chain saw and get the other two sides cleared.

Thumbnail by Dyson

You are getting right industrious, Dyson!

I finally dug my Belgian endive roots and prepped them for winter storage. I'll set out a few at a time starting in late December to sprout. Takes 3-4 weeks to grow the torpedo-shaped heads we see in the grocery stores.

Now I just need to re-do that bed and get garlic and shallots planted.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

A few weeks ago - Jason (brother-in-law) was rear ended. He was driving the metro
(2001 ?) and the girl (16 yo had just got her permit) was in a full size pick up. Totaled the metro. Jason is parting out the car, I asked him for the heater blower figuring to use it for the solar heat grabber from darius' link. It is of course 12 VDC which means I can run it off a car battery charged by solar cells - this way it will truly be a solar heat system!

Yesterday spent the day painting the kitchen - Sue did the walls and I did the trim. Today, we are going to help David (neighbor, across the street) put a new roof on his porch.

Dyson, good idea to use a solar-charged 12v DC battery and fan for that kind of system!

Here's a cool Google Hack app that shows sun movement and sunlight phases during any given day at any given location. You just find your house in Google maps via the search box at the top.

You can see sun positions at sunrise, specified time and sunset. The thin orange curve is the current sun trajectory, and the yellow area around is the variation of sun trajectories during the year. The closer a point is to the center, the higher is the sun above the horizon. The colors on the time slider above show sunlight coverage during the day.

The photos below are my house, satellite view, on the longest and shortest days of the year.

http://www.suncalc.net/#/51.508,-0.125,2/2012.10.13/11:43

Thumbnail by darius Thumbnail by darius

the apple orchard i work at is closing its doors.... pretty sad about it. Wish i could convince him to let me keep it going and running.
to sick to do anything... body hurts. head hurts ect...
i guess the garden will wait.
nice paint job on the garage Dyson.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Roof is on - I am beat, night

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Just wanted to pop in for a minute to let everyone know my precious Momma passed away last Saturday morning. I was with her for almost 2 weeks. She was in the hospital when I got here. I stayed with her the 2 nights at the hospital and then we brought her home with hospice care. I did not leave her side after we got home other than to pick up meds. I am so glad I had that time with her. She was unresponsive a good part of the time but I know she knew I was with her. I will miss her so very much but I know she is in Heaven and I will see her again. Her services will be this Friday and Saturday. We will stay here until next Monday. I am trying to get the house more user friendly for Poppa as he cannot see well at all.

Cheryl, I'm SO glad you got to spend time with her!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Cajun - sorry about your loss, and thank you for reminding me that I need to spend some more time with my mother.

Cajun i m so sorry to hear of you mom's passing
many many blessings and prayers for you and your family.
some pretty pics of my backyard and my faithful compainion Lucy
found a bunch of the large puff mushrooms ! very exciting .

Thumbnail by taynors Thumbnail by taynors Thumbnail by taynors Thumbnail by taynors
Richmond, TX

Cajun, I'm glad you got to be with your mother in her last days.

Taynors - lovely leaves!

you have my sympathies, Cajun. Never easy to lose someone you love. I had to bury my sister this past August. Not fun at all.

Traynors, I fried up a skillet full of puffballs Monday night.I like to mix them with onions and put them on either steaks or baked potatoes. good eats!!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Busy yesterday - upgraded the electric service from 100 amps to 200 amps - replaced an element in the water heater - today it is back to cleaning up around the garage so I can get the other side and back painted.

I thought about picking a few of them and getting some marshmellows and making a StayPuff Marshmellow man LOL
i have heard they are tasty .

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

TY all. I made it through the wake tonight. Just have to make it through the funeral in the morning. DH is preaching her service. DD will be singing, my great niece will be playing amazing grace on her violin, a cousin will play piano and another cousin will be doing the grave side service. 6 grandsons will be pall bearers. Momma would be proud. We are laying her body to rest in a beautiful suit she made for her 80th BD party. I said she was being buried in her BD suit. My brother laughed and said Momma would have liked that joke.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.