Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-South Gardening: Fall into October

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 239, Views: 1,568
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9292758

I thought I'd go ahead and start a new thread before we got too far into October. What better way to introduce October and cool weather than with a pot of mums and pansies (well, at least one is blooming)! Happy Fall y'all!!

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying
Click the image for an enlarged view.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9292766

While I'm posting pictures, I thought I'd post this lovely bird I saw this weekend. It's a rose-breasted grosbeak, not normally one we see around here, so I guess he was just passing through. He was either at the feeders or at the birdbath most mornings. I managed to get a shot through the window.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9292802

Thanks Elaine for the new thread and the reminder that fall is in the air. Of course, no reminder needed here today...our high today was 72 and it's burr right now!!!

I have never seen that bird before. You are right, it is very pretty. Love the mums!!! I bought 2 black crepe myrtles that I am trying to figure out where to put them. They are small right now and I bought these pumpkin planters and the 2 look good together, I think. Upon looking at that picture, I see, I need to remove the black pots and just put them in the orange pot.

Thumbnail by jeri11

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2012

Post #9292803

Cute bird! I haven't bought any mums but I have a pot that's blooming now! I'm terrible about mums. I just consider them an annual for pretty color in the fall and usually just leave them in the nursery pot and sit them around. I have a few pots I've never gotten around to throwing away and despite my neglect they are blooming now!!

I will plant some pansies but I usually wait until we have a frost before I plant them.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9292807

Rather than going to that trouble Jeri, just hide the black pots with some moss!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9292844

Last year I bought 3 mums and put them in the ground in late fall after they finished blooming, but I waited a little too long. Two died but one came back really huge this year and is blooming away in the garden. These 2 were really pot-bound, as I think most are and they need a lot of water.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9292860

Elaine maybe you paid too much attention to your mums!! LOL Mine that are blooming are from last year and still in the original nursery pot.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9292864

Hi Elaine, Jeri and Charlotte. I'm out and working in the garden once again. Waving at everyone; happy Fall. The Rose-breasted Grosbeak is a striking bird, Elaine, I saw a pair here several years ago. But haven't seen them since. Love those Mums, I've gotten some Pumpkins, and a huge pot of Mum yet to be set out as of yet. It has been in the mid 80's here. Tomorrow it's called for high on the 70'ish.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9292869

Kim so good to see you posting!! I've missed your posts. Hope all is well with you.

I think the high here today was 69. But it's warming up to the low 80's later this week. But fall is definitely in the air! I just don't like the short days!!! Getting dark way too early for me!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 1, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9292984

Me too Charlotte, I need the light, I hate long dark winter nights ! Hi Kim, how are you? I haven't seen you here in a while now.

Jeri, I love those crepe myrtles, that is the first I have seen of them, is the bloom white or pink? I can't really tell from the photo, and are they dwarf ?
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

October 1, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9292997

LOL Sandra you probably walked by some of those Crepes at Jim's. If you find room for 1 let me know and I'll hang onto it for you.
Kim I like that grosbeak. Every now and then I'll see and odd bird around here.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9293000

Hey Sis!!! It never ceases to amaze me that Yall are warmer than we are!!! Hope Jim is fine and how is that new grand baby doing? I've missed you!!!

Sandra they are new to me too!!! I fell in love. These are just small now but will grow. The flower is white but the bud is kinda a reddish pink. Really different. I've had them under the carport where Clegg's Nursery had them in full sun and the new leaves are a bright green. I don't know if it's b/c they are in the shade are if that is how they start out.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 1, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9293061

Where were they Kenny? There was so much to see at Jim's !
I hope he is doing well
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

October 1, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9293118

They where near the " do not touch" pile in pots. Easy to overlook with all that mess. I'll message you sometime about Jim.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9293323

You're probably right, Charlotte, lol!

Oh, I almost forgot to tell y'all! Thanks for voting in the County Fair, if you did! I won in the favorite farm animals category! My photo of our twin pygmy goat girls, Lucy and Sally, won! Check it out if you haven't done so yet. There are some great photos in that category so it would have been hard to pick a favorite. Picabo (Betty) won third with a pic of a newborn calf. She also entered several categories and her barn photo won and I think her art, plus she had several second and thirds. She is one talented lady!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9293341

Thank you Charlotte, Jeri, Sandra and Kenny for the welcome back. Congratulation on your twin pygmy goat girls Lucy and Sally. I'll spend some time checking out the County Fair. In regard to Betty. She's indeed talented a lady. Congrats Betty. Thanks Elaine for the passing on the news.

Aww, my woodland garden isn't ideal to keep mums year after year. They still sit in the nursery pots; and obviously didn't do too well there either. So it's time to renew. lol Jeri. The new Crepe Myrtle is one fine specimen plant! It's so striking! Oh the grandbaby is a ham! Thanks for asking. Please send my best to everyone.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 2, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9293345

Congratulations, Elaine! Unfortunately, I never got over to the contest to vote, but I am glad you won! Thanks for starting the new thread for October! Love the grosbeak--I don't think we have them here.

Kim! great to see you posting again! We have missed you. (By the way, Kim, I have re-married and moved to southern Missouri since I last saw you posting!)

Jeri, those are cute pumpkin pots and I like those crepe myrtles, too. :o)

Good idea, Charlotte, about hiding the black pots with moss.

Al and I finally got all the plants in the ground that I brought home from the RU. Yesterday we made a new bed just for the daylilies. I don't really want daylilies in my other flowerbeds because they multiply and spread quickly so we made a new bed just for them! :o) Thanks to each of you who gave me daylilies--and all the other plants, too!

Speaking of mums, I seem to have good luck with mums--probably because it is hard to kill them LOL After Al and I met and married, I was cleaning out the front flower bed which was full of weeds. I found a pot of mums which Al had just thrown out there. Somebody had given it to him when his previous wife passed away last year. I rescued it and put it in the ground and here it is, blooming away! It is the bronze mum in the first photo. The others are some of my other mums:

Thumbnail by marsue   Thumbnail by marsue   Thumbnail by marsue   Thumbnail by marsue   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9293379

Hi Marilyn, such great news on your new establishing family! Al is one lucky man to have found you! Terrific job with those mums; the color is vibrant!
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 2, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9293431

Well, I had been planning to pick up my Mums for my porch at the annual barn sale (craft fair) that we went to this past Saturday. For the past several years there has been a vendor there selling mums. They weren't there this year!! So, I still don't have mums! The ones at Walmart look rather sad, so I am going to try to find some somewhere else. IF I could remember the name of that vendor, I might could pick up some in Bismarck this week - I know that is where they were from, and I have to be over that way for Tiger Tunes...maybe I will google it and see what I can find!

Marilyn, you always have the most beautiful mums! I don't seem to have as good a luck with mine surviving in the ground. I did have some small purple ones that I had bought on clearance scattered around the edges of my big circle bed - when my sister helped me clean out the bed year before last, she pulled almost all of them up! She didn't realize they weren't weeds! I think I only have one left, but it is blooming!

I didn't notice the black crepe myrtles at Jim's either, but I did say I think every time you walk around his yard a hundred times and see something different every time! That black crepe myrtle is very lovely!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9293455

Genna drive out the highway (toward Hot Springs) where the Cracker Barrel is located. I can't remember the name of it but there is a wonderful nursery right around the Cracker Barrel area. It is on the left. She has very healthy plants and good prices. I've bought a number of things from her.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 2, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9293477

Yeah, I forgot about them! I have been there once before... will go there if I can't find the mum nursery. I have been to the one in bismarck before to pick up Mums. ... just has been several years. Just made me wonder if they were still in business because they usually sell several hundred mums at the barn sale - can't imagine them not coming...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9293547

Happy Fall everyone, just put this grouping together today. May need some rearranging to spruce things up. Hi Genna.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 2, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9293552

Kenny where did you find the black crepe myrtles? I will look for some in the spring,
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 2, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9293556

Hi Kim! good to 'see' you again! I hope all is going well! Your grouping is looking very nice! Love that purple mum!

By the way, this week brings Ouachita's homecoming festivities and Tiger Tunes! Many of you remember that Kyle was in TT last year, and it was a LONG time before they had a recorded version on line to be viewed. If any of you happen to be interested, you can watch the finale Saturday evening performance live. Here is the link to information about it... http://www.obusignal.com/index.php/tunescast-2012-new-format-features-announced/entertainment/ I know not everyone will want to watch it - but this is a really funny and talented 'variety' show for lack of a better description. They alter lyrics to songs to fit the theme of their show... and each group on campus has different themes and there is a competition as well as to who does the best. Actually they have winners for every night - but the finale is the BIG one to "win"... anyway, I just thought if some of ya'll were looking for some cheap (the tickets are 18 bucks to see it in person) entertainment... you might want to watch! Jessica will be in the Campus Ministries group this year - their theme is Camp Ouachita. I believe she is supposed to be on the far left side of the stage. She will also be a tree toward the end of their performance! :) albeit a short tree... :-) Kyle isn't doing tunes this year because he has chemistry plus anatomy and physiology! They practice 3- 4 hrs 4 nights a week, so he decided he better skip it this year and focus on his studies. I am always impressed by the creative ability of all the kids involved in coming up with themes, lyrics, costume designs, etc...

obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

October 2, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9293628

Sandra Homestead and Dabneys have the crepes, but just get 1 from Jim whenever we cross paths.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 2, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9293791

Ok, if he has plenty !

I talked to Cindy Sat and she has had pneumonia, much better now, but busy keeping Audrey, her 2 year old granddaughter, not every day, but quite a bit
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 2, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9294012

Thanks for the compliment, Kim! :o) Nice grouping--I really like that big white pot on the stand!

Genna, Home Depot and Lowe's also have mums. We bought our most recent mums at a place in Mountain Home called Orscheln's. It is mainly a farm supply place. They were cheaper than any other place around. I remember watching Kyle's performance in Tiger Tunes last year. Those young people really do a good job!

Sandra, I'm sorry to hear that Cindy had pneumonia but glad that she is feeling better now. Keeping a 2 year old will keep her busy, for sure!

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9294040

I bought mine at Lowe's last Saturday. They had a good selection here, but not as many bronze ones.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9294188

Kenny can you ask Jim if the crepe myrtles are in the shade do they loose the dark color leaves? I've noticed that mine are doing that. I really need to move them into the sun.

Thanks Marilyn. That is the extent of my Halloween spirit so far. I love your mums!!!

I wonder how Peg is doing getting ready for her annual Halloween party? Haven't heard from her in a while.
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

October 2, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9294284

Jeri they get morning sun and evening shade and the leaves are dark. The place we got them from last year has them setting in full sun. They may be like out black elephant ears. In the shade they turn more green and in the sun they turn black. If I think of it I will put one of the crepes in full shade and see what happens.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #9294393

Thanks Kenny!! I'm gonna move mine to the stoop on the front porch. It's get sun there.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9294483

I think I may have lost my yellow bells!!! It's been blooming like crazy all summer long. Just noticed this morning that it was really wilted. I discovered the roots had grown through the drainage hole and had clogged it up and water had accumulated in the pot from all the rain we've had recently! I turned it over on it's side and drained all the water out but it may be too late! Any suggestions??
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9294527

Sorry, Charlotte---I don't have a clue as I have never grown yellow bells. I'm sure somebody else can offer you some advice.

Yesterday while I was away at a ladies luncheon, Al tried burning the ivy in the back yard behind the fence. He did get some of it burned but he said it is still too green for it to burn very well. That stuff is a menace! Ack! We are slowly hacking away at it, though, and have dug enough of it out so that we were able to plant some of the RU plants where the ivy once was. If it starts popping up next spring I plan to shoot it with a weed killer.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9294550

About the only way I've found to get ivy up is to pull it up!! It will be back next year with a vengeance. Burning it may be getting rid of the top of it but does nothing to the roots. Weed killer does not kill ivy!! In a column Janet Carson wrote just recently she said if you plan to use round up on ivy you will have to use a weed eater on the ivy to expose parts of the leaf and then spray it. But she said even doing that round up will not work very well. Of course you also risk killing all your other plants! I've been pulling up ivy for 30 years! It's fairly easy to pull up but once you have ivy you will always have ivy!!! You might want to really work on getting rid of it before planting in the bed.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 3, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9294592

Charlotte, do you mean forsythia? Mine only blooms in the spring, so I figure you must have something else

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9294597

This is what I have Sandra.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2047/
I notice it says it's hardy to zone 7 but I've always had mine in a pot and taken it inside in the winter. Maybe I can try putting it in the ground. I love it! It does bloom all summer and will continue blooming up until frost.

I ended up breaking the pot it was and and have it just sitting without a pot so it can really dry out. I bought it from a local nursery several years afo and they were selling it as a tropical for here.

Elaine just got around to looking at the photos of the county fair. Your pigmy goats are SO CUTE!! Congratulations!

This message was edited Oct 3, 2012 9:17 AM

This message was edited Oct 3, 2012 10:44 AM
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 3, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9294702

That really is pretty Charlotte! How big is yours?? It says it can get up to 12 feet!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 3, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9294964

You can always try rooting some cuttings to take inside in case it does not make it. I am trying to root some of that Mona Lavender I got from Jim, it is so pretty I took cuttings so I would hopefullyhavemore than one for next summer, we will see. I don't have the best track record with inside plants, I also clipped some of the coleus and put them in to root. If the cost of annuals gets any higher next year, it will be rough.
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

October 3, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9295037

Sandra I'll put a Lavender aside for you. You should have taken a plant!! Charolette I would take cuttings for a back up, but I bet it comes back out once it gets dried up some.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9295050

I've been letting the yellow bells dry out today but I'm going to pot it back up tonight. I think I will take a cutting to be safe. I'm not going to try and put it in the ground this late in the year. But I may put it in the ground next spring. It's really grown this summer and actually needs to be trimmed back some. It had a huge roots growing through the pot's drainage hole. I decided I probably shouldn't cut it off since it was already struggling so I just broke the pot it was it. It was a nice ceramic pot but one I hadn't gotten at a really good price since it had a chip on the rim. So I didn't feel too bad about breaking it! Rather lose the pot than the plant!!

Genna mine being in a pot probably hasn't grown as much as it would in the ground but it's about 5 ft tall and bushy.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9295117

Jeri my snowdrops needs to be trimmed back. It's getting too leggy. Can I do it before I take them inside or should I wait until I take them back outside in the spring?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 3, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9295146

Kenny, I did bring a plant home, that is the one I took the cuttings from, this afternoon, I brought it up to the porch and it also has a purple stem EE in it--I didn't see it until today !!
Jim gave me some of those tiny EE's with the silver stripe down the middle, do you know what the name of those are?

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9295233

Charlotte is this the snowdrops you are talking about?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/762/#b

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9295246

No!! I didn't think snowdrop sounded right! I'm talking about the plant you got for me at your MG plant sale. I got it from you when you had the RU at your house several years ago. It doesn't have a bloom just variegated leaves. I got another at a nursery while I was down there. It's a bush. I know the name but can't think of it right now! A senior moment!!! LOL

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9295291

Do you mean the Hawaiian Snow Bush?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 3, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9295300

Yes that is it!!!!!!!!!! Can I cut it back some now or should I wait until spring? I put it in the workshop during the winter.
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

October 3, 2012
11:21 PM

Post #9295380

Sandra the little ear is called Fallax (silver leaf). It will die back, but usually comes back good and once established outside overwinters good.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9295431

Charlotte I have never had any luck overwintering mine. I dug it up once and put it in the G/H but that was my 1st year with the G/H and I lost my heat during a bad winter storm and lost it in the G/H. After that year I didn't dig up the one next year and just covered it and it didn't make it either. This year I didn't even get one.

BTW the Hawaiian Snow Bush does bloom. It's on the underside of the leaf and about the size of 1/2 a penny. Very insignificant and no aroma at all. I also never had any success trying to root them but always had plenty of babies sprout up under the bush.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 4, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9295521

Thanks Kenny, it is so pretty !
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 4, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9295523

Does anyone on the list have any experience with the Purple Pixie lorapedalum? I know Elaine loves hers... but I had a woman at a Ruston, La nursery tell me that they are not doing well for them in that area - that they are losing their leaves in the winter. She also said their big ones don't lose leaves in the winter - but mine do??

Do any of ya'll have the standard lorapedalum? does it lose it leaves in the winter??

Thanks!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 4, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9295525

Sandra, is that the one that you got that was only about 4 -5 inches tall? It was cute! Does it get bigger Kenny, or is that as big as it gets? It had an usual color to it!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9295585

Jeri mine has over wintered without any problem. I've always kept it in a pot. But it's gotten tall and leggy looking and I want trim it back so it will get bushier. I have noticed that it needs lots of water. I really like mine. The one you picked up for me is green and white and the other one I got also has some pink along with the green and white.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 4, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9295767

Yes, Genna, I said it was small enough to bring inside.

The Memphis and Tupelo weather are both callings for 40's Sunday morning---if it is clear we can get a frost at 40---I hope everyone is ready !
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9295977

Terrye, Sandra said she got a rainbow knockout from you so did you bring two of them?

We have a back porch that is completely glassed-in. The windows are all the type that slide sideways when opened. It has occurred to me that I can use this back porch as a green-house of sorts if I can heat it during cold weather. I don't want to use one of those small electric heaters because of the danger of fire and a kerosene heater would not be good, either. I am wondering if some of you who do have greenhouses can tell me how you heat them?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9296043

I use small electric heaters. I use one in the storage room in my garage (has a window in it). I also use one in the workshop. It is very well insulated and doesn't take much to heat it up. I use the type electric heater with an automatic thermostat otherwise it can get too hot in there. In my mini greenhouses I use large outdoor light bulbs. However I doubt that would heat up your porch enough. I have thermometers hanging in all those places. The thermometer also has a humidity indicator. In my green houses I'm making sure it doesn't drop below 40 degrees. In the workshop I try to keep it no higher than around 65. Actually hard to do because I turn on the florescent lights and leave them on for long periods of time to provide light. They also give off some heat. But I have 3 rows that are the length of the building so that's a lot of light. If it gets too hot it causes bugs. Plants that are stored for the winter also need lots of humidity. I think that's one of the keys to being able to successfully overwinter things. Just my experience with what I use. Others probably have other opinions and ways they over winter things.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 4, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9296101

We have one of those heaters that the oil is enclosed, it is a good heater

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-TRH0715-Safeheat-Portable-Oil-Filled/dp/B000FT1XZW
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9296143

Thanks for the input, Charlotte. Of course, I don't have to worry about light because the porch gets plenty of sunlight, especially in the afternoon because it is on the west side of the house. Where did you find a thermometer with a humidity indicator?

Sandra, that heater looks like just what I would need! Now all I have to do is convince Al that it is worth the price. LOL
I noticed that the ad says it turns itself off if it gets too warm but I wonder at what temp it becomes too warm? Do you happen to know the answer to that? My main concern about using any heater is the fire hazard.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9296154

I don't remember where I got the thermometers with the humidity controls. I've had them for a long time. Probably home depot or somewhere like that. I use a similar type heater as to what Sandra just showed. Mine is a ceramic heater. Both the one Sandra has and the one I have use electricity. Mine has a high, medium and low setting and I just have to figure out what setting works best for the temperature outside. If it's like my heater, you have to figure out at which setting it will get hot enough in your space for it to shut off. Your utility bill will definitely be higher as you will have to run the heater 24/7 most of the winter. It's just one of those things I'm willing to pay for like my water bill in the summer. You might want to live there for the winter and figure out just how well you think the area might retain heat before you start making a lot of investment.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 4, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9296241

Didn't notice the price on that one, they have them cheaper at Wal-Mart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Optimus-Portable-Oil-Filled-Radiator-Heater/15162311

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2012
9:34 PM

Post #9296310

Marilyn don't forget that if you go out of town you need to be willing to leave the heater on while you are gone or be able to move whatever you have out there into the house.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 5, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9296445

Marilyn, maybe with it being on the west side, the heaters would only run later in the night and in the morning...?? Just thought the sun beaming in those windows might keep in plenty warm in the afternoons and hopefully into part of the night? Also, if you raised your plants up on something... it would be warmer up off the floor for sure. just a thought - but then I don't have a greenhouse...

Does the glass go all the way to the floor? or is there a 'wall' area beneath the glass?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9296473

The storage room in my garage stays fairly warm since it is connected to my house. But I still have to run the heater during really cold weather. But I do raise my plants off the floor in that room. I save Styrofoam packing from big items and sit my plants on the styrofoam. I also do that to the large plants in my mini greenhouse. The small ones sit on shelves. I also have that cushion stuff you use on the floor (big interlocking pieces) on the floor in the storage room. I have two thicknesses of it on the floor. That's why you need a thermometer in the room. You can't just guess at how warm it is. Also some plants can tolerate more cold than others.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 5, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9296558

Alex has another big exam today! So glad it is today because he can relax a little tomorrow and enjoy the homecoming festitivities at OBU. But, prayers would sure be appreciated! I am praying that he is able to keep those grades up!!! Thanks!
Genna
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 5, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9296924

Well, I am just now (6:50 p.m.) checking in here so I suppose I am too late to pray for Alex's exam but I sure hope he did well on it.

The "wall" on the porch is about 2 ft.high with the windows at about six feet. There is that glue-down carpet over the concrete floor but I am sure it is not a very good insulator. Putting those interlocking foam pieces down is a good idea, Charlotte. I have moved my peace lilies inside the porch and have also covered them with a sheet since we are supposed to get down to 33F tonight and maybe even into the high 20's tomorrow night! Ack!
I would most likely move all of the plants inside to our breakfast area if we go out-of-town any this winter. I wouldn't want to go off and leave a heater going if we were going to be away for more than a day.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9296936

Marilyn I would put a thermometer out there to see how cold it is tomorrow morning. That might give you an indication of what to expect. I would put the peace lily as close to your house on the the porch as you can get it. A peace lily is one of those plants that will die if it gets too cold. Doesn't have to get to freezing to kill it. I try to keep the temperature between for 50 and 65 for house type/tropical plants. Low forties will kill them. I actually bring all my house plant type thing into my house. I keep them in my sun room (we call it the sun room but as you know it's actually just a room in the house) and in my kitchen window. Some of my plants will take temps in the low forties. Where they are stored for the winter depends on the type of plant they are.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9297237

It is 38 on our back porch right now. (6:22 a.m.) I just hope it didn't drop any lower than that during the night. They say the lowest temps happen just before sun-up. The peace lilies are on a covered porch next to the glassed-in porch and they are also up against the house with a sheet covering them. They are all pretty big which is why I didn't go ahead and bring them into Al's man cave. I may have to do that today as our temps are going to be even colder tonight, according to the weather folk. I just don't really have enough room here to put all my house plants. I already have a big elephant's foot and a tall corn plant in the house along with several African violets and two Thanksgiving cacti. The peace lilies will have to be happy in the man cave this winter, I suppose, although it doesn't have much natural light since there is only one window in there. Guess I will have to keep the light on in there all winter. :o~

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9297409

Peace lilies are pretty tough. I have one I've had for I don't remember how many year. But it has reached the point I need to either divide and repot it or toss and start over! I never take mine outside for the summer. I have some houseplants I never take outside. They are where there are for decorative purposes. My peace lily does sit directly in front of a window. I have two spots in my den I try to keep houseplants just for decorative purposes. I have tried I don't know how many different varieties trying to find something that will live without direct light. I haven't found anything that I don't eventually have to replace other than Mother in Law's tongue. I'm looking at a plant right now that gets some light from the kitchen window and the lights in the den are on a good part of the day and it is totally croaked!! I just have a thing about silk green plants. So I just keep buying real and eventually tossing!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9297849

I don't think it's supposed to get that cold here! It's chilly but not down in the 30's yet. I still brought a couple of things up to the covered back porch.

Charlotte, I know what you mean about house plants. I only have a couple of windows where I really keep any plants and it's only a few, mostly for decoration and because I like them. Anything else doesn't make it more than a few months.

It was rainy and chilly today, so here's what I've been working on. I'll probably surprise my daughter and grand-daughter with it but I may post it on FB too.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9297894

Well isn't that cute Elaine!!

Marilyn has moved out of the South into the North!! LOL It's been chilly and wet and rainy here today. We had a big down pour late yesterday and today it's just been drizzling off and on. It's been one of those hunkering down kind of week ends. I've really enjoyed being in and piddling!! I've been making note cards that are blank on the inside. I'm worst than a kid! Love to cut stuff and out and look through all my treasures to see what I can put together

I haven't brought anything in yet. A lot of my houseplants that are only houseplants in the winter are under my pergola and it's covered and very protected. It's a huge mess when I bring them in and I'm just not been in the mood for that yet!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9298256

Elaine, that arrangement is adorable! What a cute idea!

Our rain stopped on Friday afternoon but it was cold all day yesterday, although we did get a sprinkle very late in the afternoon. I took Laddy for a walk about noon yesterday and I was wearing jeans, a long-sleeve Tee, a fleece jacket and ear muffs! My nose and hands got cold during our walk but the rest of me stayed warm. :o)

It didn't get as cold as they said it was going to last night. The temp was 38F on our porch at 6:30 a.m. I moved two of the big peace lilies into Al's man cave and covered the potted mums which we had brought under the carport with a blanket. The sweet potato vine and the caladiums are on the screened-in porch and seem to be fine, so far. It is supposed to get warmer in the next day or two, so hopefully I can put them back outside until the next frost. They will probably croak the first time we have a hard frost but I expect that. I can always dig up the caladiium bulbs but I have never had much luck with doing that and usually just buy new caladiums every spring.

I have had my elephant's foot plant for 37 years. I bought it at the Target across from McCain Mall in North Little Rock. It was about 3 inches tall and cost me 38 cents! LOL It is now about five feet tall and is growing a baby from it's foot. The baby is about 10 inches tall. I am sure the whole plant would be much bigger if I would re-pot it but it is in a big enough pot as it is now. I don't care if it gets any bigger. I use those Jobe's plant food spikes to feed it and it is doing fine. :o)

I also have a corn plant that I have had for at least 20 years. When Buddy and I moved from the Conway area to Cabot in 2006, we cut about 3 feet off the top of it so we could get it in the moving van. It has since grown about that much back and has started a new plant from the bottom.

I also have several African Violets that I have had for years--can't remember how many.

Al and I are going up to the Mansfield, MO area today to the Baker Seed Company. They grow non-GMO veggies and flowers and sell their seeds. They have a "village" there with gift shops and a restaurant. We plan to eat lunch at the restaurant. It's a fun place to visit. They have a lot of old-fashioned plants and seeds that you can't get anywhere else. I noticed that they also have a cookbook for sale.
Here is a link to their web site. It is fun just to browse around the site to see what they have.
http://rareseeds.com/
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 7, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9298531

Elaine - I love the halloween treats! PLEASE dmail the directions...what are they in? a can or a jar? I could make up a couple of those and ship to the kids for halloween. They love getting mail at school, and I am afraid that is one area I do not do well on. I did mail them a padded envelope of stuff this week just because Jessica kept sending me pics of all her friends getting mail and her not getting any!! :) I was over there Friday night and yesterday, but I mailed it anyway just so they could have a package like everyone else!

When Alex was in school, we made up this huge valentines' box of goodies for him and his suite mates. We made all types of heart shaped goodies in there. We took a big box and lined with aluminum foil, then made all the cut out hearts and wrote the sayings on them like the little candies... like I love you, be mine, etc. I made lots of goodies for him to share, but also made each suite mate a goodie bag with their name on a tag. I wasn't sure what all the "men" would think about all those hearts - but they were thrilled. We tried to not make it feminine... but they loved the attention and the treats! Did that several years for Alex but of course the first year was the best because it was a total surprise! Did something similar for Kyle and his girlfriend last year. So, the halloween one would be something new and something they would not be expecting!

We sat out at the OBU homecoming game yesterday from 1 - 4... I about froze!! It was cold, damp and occasionally drizzling rain, although thankfully it did not really rain! But the wind was blowing and it was COLD! I forgot my gloves, so my face and hands were frozen - and today my sinuses are giving me fits! :( Tiger Tunes was great this year and Jessica's group won second over all for all 5 shows. They also won the Ouachita Student Foundation award for being the best group to work with this year - so they were happy!

I am headed outside to try to get some things done...but if I get cold out there, I am headed right back in. There is always plenty that needs to be done inside - and I can't afford to get sick right now... so not planning on getting cold again today! :-)

Have a great day everyone!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9298591

I have houseplants I have had for more than 20 years but when they start getting too big I'm ready to get rid of them!! I had a big leaf schefferala (not even spelled close) that was touching my ceiling and had just gotten to big to deal with so I just left it outside a couple of winter ago. That took care of it!!! LOL I do save my caladium bulbs from year to year and have good luck with them. I'm going to dig mine up before we actually have a frost. They are looking bad by now anyway. I shake the dirt off them and then store on a nursery tray on a shelf in my garage on a wall next to my house. It stays cool there but never gets close to freezing. I learned not to try to start them until some time in May. They just want come up before then even in pots. They need really warm weather to grow. When I start them back in May I put them in small nursery pots to make sure they are going to come back and to see what color they are before I actually place them in my yard. (I do try to keep them grouped together and labeled when I store them but some I end up losing the tags). Then most of them I actually plant in the beds but some I will put in containers. I order my bulbs from Caladiums 4 Less rather than buying ones that are already growing. Then every spring I order more bulbs to add to my collection. After several years they do start playing out. But I do really enjoy my collection of caladiums. I got several really pretty ones this year. One of my favorites was one called "Ghost". It is almost pure white and really stands out in the beds.

Genna I've been sending my grandson goody boxes for Halloween, Valentine's Day and Easter since they were born. Jake the one in college finally told me recently he was probably too old for a Halloween treat or treat bag. YEAH!! I will still send him a box of goodies. But along with the food goodies I had been including silly stuff like silly string, eyeball candy, etc.
For Valentine Day I just send some Godiva chocolate. Their favorite chocolate. Then for Easter I send candy and other stuff. What used to be a Easter basket is now an Easter sack. It's been harder to find stuff for the "basket" as they have gotten older but I've included things like an Itunes gift card and even a lightweight beach towel one year. I send Jake a "care" package now and then. Just sent him a box of chocolate chip cookies a couple of weeks ago. For Halloween I'll send him a large box with stuff like summer sausage, hard cheese, apple chips (from the health food store), a tin of those rolled cookies (can't think of the name of it), and some other stuff but will leave out the silly stuff.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9298821

Sorry your sinuses are bothering you, Genna. I hope you were able to work outside today.

Charlotte, I am going to look up the Caladiums4Less website. I might try ordering some bulbs from them next season. That "Ghost" certainly sounds different--I think I would like to have one of those. I don't put my caladiums in the ground--I just always grow them in pots and keep them in a shaded area of a porch or somewhere shady in the yard.

As I said in my post above, Al and I went to the Bakersville Pioneer Village today and enjoyed it. We walked around the village--the employees there dress in old-timey clothing and all the men have beards. We bought a couple of home-made baskets, some kettle corn (Al loves it), some homemade "pilgrim" bread (tastes like a really good whole wheat bread), a round green squash about half the size of a bowling ball (I can't remember the name of it), a gardening bonnet for me, and 12 packages of flower seeds. :o) They have a building with the four walls lined with bins for seed packets. Most of the seeds are vegetable seeds but they have one section just for flowers. We didn't get any veggie seeds because neither Al nor I really want the hassle of dealing with a veggie garden.
We also watched a young blacksmith make a small decorative leaf from a piece of an iron rod. We bought the leaf from him and are going to use it as a decorative pull for the ceiling fan in our living room.
It was a fun day and the weather was beautiful, although a bit cool (in the mid 50's). If you are on FB, and I think most of you are, you can see my photos over there but I'll post a couple here.

Thumbnail by marsue   Thumbnail by marsue         

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9298892

Jeri buys her caladium bulbs from Caladiums 4 less also. I buy a number of bulbs of different varieties from him every year. That why I can continue to increase my caladiums collection. I have probably about 14 different varieties. Caladiums are something I've planted every year for as many years as I can remember. Don't know how you've been storing yours but I take all mine completely of of the potting soil. Even ones that I have in small pots. I think they rot if you try to store them in the potting soil..

Sounds like a fun afternoon. Reminds me of a place we have in Arkansas that I think very few people outside the area know about. Just outside Star City there is a small community of some religious group that have a little village of shops and I think that is what is it called "The Village". They have several great restaurants, a pet store, flower market, jewelry store (they actually design and make most of what they sell and you can see them at work), furniture store, bakery, shoe store, etc. It is all really quaint and out in the woods. You can easily walk to all the shops. They are really nice people. Don't know what type religion they are. Not any of the usual ones you run across. Reminds me that this is the perfect time of year to go down and walk around. We usually get there late in the afternoon. Visit the shops and then have dinner. You would not believe the number of people out having dinner there. It's like stepping back in time!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9298993

I was going to post a picture of the Ghost caladium but I can't find one. I can't believe what a terrible job I did this summer of taking pictures. I have several clumps of them. Can only find two pictures of caladiums. The one of the caladiums in the concrete pots are some I overwintered. All the caladiums in the other picture I got from Caladiums4less this year. The picture was taken at the very beginning of the summer and look nothing like they did over in the summer. They were gorgeous. I have different caladiums all over the back yard but didn't any pictures other the ones I am posting. Can't believe that!!

Thumbnail by cperdue   Thumbnail by cperdue         

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9299070

Well I found one more photo. It's been bugging me that I can't find the Ghost caladium photos and a lot of others. It seems I can remember taking them. Oh well!

Thumbnail by cperdue

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9299073

Genna, I'll send you the complete directions tomorrow, but I used a coffee can. The big suckers are heavy so it's weighted down with pebbles and I inserted 2 circular foam pieces on top of the pebbles to fill it up. I covered the outside with the black sparkly foam board and glued on a die-cut 'trick-or-treat' thing and tied a purple & black bow around the top. (Used tacky glue for everything.) The 'bats' are tootsie pops and I bought the orange suckers which were already on sticks. For the bats I used a pattern for the wings but you could free hand something similar. I cut a pattern for the jack-o-lantern mouths out of a manila folder and used an x-acto knife on the foam board to cut the eyes and mouth and the wings. For the bats I used bamboo skewers spray painted black and used electrical tape to wrap the crape paper to the skewers tightly. You an buy just about any ribbon to tie around the skewers and the suckers. Then I used black curling ribbon and filled in around the foam (it called for candy corn but I didn't want to do that). I also hung a few spiders from the bows - they were cheap plastic spider rings. I cut off the 'ring' part and tied curly ribbon on the bow of a bat and on the spider so they would hang down. You almost can't see them in the photo. I guess the only other thing you need is the googly eyes for the bats.

You could use other things on skewers or sticks if you wanted to. The ribbons were cut to about 24" and add a nice touch and fill in the gaps. The foam board is easy to cut, especially with an X-acto knife. I put several thicknesses of newspaper under mine and just cut away on my granite island. It didn't take too long once I got the patterns sketched out.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9299075

Marilyn, that looks like a really neat place. It seems like I've heard of it, but of course I've never been up that way so it must have been in an ad somewhere. Y'all must have had a lot of fun just looking around and enjoying the day.

Genna, I hope your sinuses get better. We sat out watching soccer all afternoon (2 grand-daughters playing here in Huntsville), so I'll probably be hoarse from sitting out in the wind today. And yes, it was very chilly here today too! That's great to hear Jessi's group did so well.

Charlotte, I always love your caladiums.

I've got a crock pot full of apple butter simmering. I don't think it's thick enough yet, so I guess it will simmer all night. Will probably have to get up early in put it in jars before I go to work in the morning. Ugh! Thought I'd get it done tonight. Oh well. I'm behind as usual.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9299339

Oh, yum! I love apple butter, Elaine. Would you please post your recipe when you have time? I might try to make some for myself. Al doesn't care for it that much plus he has to watch his sugar intake since he is diabetic. It would make nice little gifts for Christmas, too.

Charlotte, I googled the ghost caladium and came up with this web site
http://www.classiccaladiumsllc.com/varieties/grey_ghost_caladiums.htm

Is this the one that you have?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9299384

Marilyn here is the link to where I buy my caladium bulbs. I have Ghost but that is not the one I was actually talking about. The name of the really white one is Moonlight. I noticed my tag this morning. Don't think you can find it on the site as he is not ready for 2013 orders. But it is the really white one in the middle of the photo on his page.
http://www.caladiumbulbs4less.com/servlet/StoreFront
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9299419

Marilyn, it is very easy:

5-1/2 lbs apples - I use about 2/3 Granny Smith and the rest either Gala or Roma (something a little sweeter than G.S.)
4 cups sugar
2-3 tsp cinnamon (I use 3 generous tsp as I love cinnamon)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt

Peel and core apples and cut into chunks and place in slow cooker. Mix sugar and spices and stir into apples. Cook on high for an hour and then lower slow cooker to low and cook 8-12 hours or overnight. I also use a potato masher and mash down the apples once they are cooked. I do this a couple of times during the cooking process until they are pretty well mashed. Place into jars and process using water-bath method.

I have a Cuisinart slow cooker that cooks very low. I probably cooked mine around 18 hours and it was fine. It was looking thin so I let it cook very slowly. Some (my old slow cooker) cooked 'fast' on low so it may totally depend on your slow cooker. I also made 1 and a half times the recipe because my slow cooker is very large so I used about 7.5 lbs apples and almost 6 cups sugar and adjusted the cinnamon and cloves.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9299451

Here is a link to a picture of Moonlight.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dallasplanttrials.org/photogallery/Caladiums/images/Caladium%20Moonlight.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 8, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9299638

My sinuses are feeling some better, my throat is still a little sore. I know it is just from sitting in that cold, damp wind! :( I did work outside in my yard over 6 hrs yesterday. Not sure if anyone could tell it - but Leigh mowed the yard, and I cleaned in beds, picked up stuff here and there that had accumulated, cleaned out a small portion of fence row and radically trimmed my Yellow Lady Banks rose! Still not completely thru trimming, but the temp started dropping as the sun was going down, and it was thundering, so I decided I could finish this evening. Anyone interested in me trying to root them one? thought I might try Sandra's rooting method if someone was interested, otherwise, I am not going to bother.

I have always loved caladiums! I had some that I bought from Caladiums for less that I over wintered once, but I lost them the next winter... don't know if they got too warm where I had them stored or what. I had just left them in pots - so that might have made them rot.

Elaine, I think that is enough directions that I can make it. We made a bunch of "ghosts" one year, taking white kleenex and covering a tootsie roll pop - looked similar to your bats - except they were white and just had eyes made with a sharpie marker. That was years ago when the kids were in grade school - but the kids thought they were cute so it was something that was easy. I like the little bats! The problem here is that there is NO WHERE to buy supplies! Walmart has a TINY sewing section, I doubt they have any ribbon that will work... so maybe i can get to hobby lobby before then! The problem with that is you have to make SURE you get everything - because you can't just run to town to pick up anything else! Thanks for the tips!

Marilyn, looks like a neat place to visit. Sounds like ya'll had a good day. Charlotte, I have been the village a few times and have eaten at the steak house a couple of times, and at the BBQ place. I have been in the bakery and few other shops but never have been able to go and just make the rounds! It is on my things to do list... :) My mother in law used to love to go eat there - and so occasionally we would go there for special occasions such as her bday etc. It is a neat place. They have a cobbler there - and I have been meaning to get back over there to see if he could repair a pair of cowboy boots that Leigh has that Kyle is wanting to wear. I remember when every town had a shoe repair shop - now they are rare! I suspect it will mean making two trips if he is able to do it...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9299672

Genna caladium bulbs need to be taken out of the pot , the dirt just shaken off and then stored in a place where they will not freeze and is fairly dark. They have to be replanted every year in fresh potting soil. If you put them out too early they will also not come up. It truly has to be about May before the bulbs can be planted. They also do not need very much water when they are first planted. They need to be kept fairly dry until they leaf out then the need lots of water.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9299685

Genna, the size 'eyes' I bought (and that were on the directions) were 10 mm). If you lived near me I could give you some as there a bazillion in a package. Same withh the spider rings. I got those at Party City. And the Dollar Store might have those. The ribbon width called for is 5/8" but 1/2" or even 3/8 to tie around the sticks would do fine if that's what you can find. I found the organza ribbon even tied easier than the grosgrain but the heavier & wider ribbon held up and looked better on the bigger suckers. You could probably use pipe cleaners instead of the curly ribbon too. Glad you're feeling better.

My apple butter turned out great. It was so good on toast this morning! I put most of it up in half-pint jars that I'm going to give at Christmas.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 8, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9299742

Alex loves apple butter... but some recipes he doesn't like... I should try a batch and see if he likes it. He loves the cracker barrel version... I think it is because it has a lot of cinnamon in it.

I might have some ribbon at home but can't think of anything lately that I have used black on. Although our school colors were black and gold so I MIGHT have some. I hope to go to the dollar tree this afternoon to see if they happen to have any of those orange flat suckers. I was just in walmart on Friday and I didn't see any like that - of course, that was before I had seen your creation so not sure if I would have noticed the suckers anyway but I did go down the aisle with the halloween candy - and at least didn't notice them.

My kids aren't too big on eating suckers but I thought I could scale it down a little and send them each a small bouquet...

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9299812

I bought mind at Fresh Market. I did see smaller ones somewhere else and can't remember where. Maybe Target? I'd try just about anywhere...grocery stores, CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, etc.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9299886

MMM I love apple butter but then I love almost anything with cinnamon in it - I'm with Alex on this one Genna. I've never made it but my mom did when we were kids, I think I'm the only one of my siblings that likes it though. It is apparently an acquired taste. You guys seem to be getting a lot accomplished toward fall clean-up.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9300044

Thanks for the recipe, Elaine. I am definitely going to try it. If it turns out good for me, I will give it for Christmas gifts along with some of Kathy Ann's soap. I made some stewed apples this afternoon because Al had bought a sack of small red delicious apples at the grocery store last week and they needed to be used. I just boiled them in water till soft and put cinnamon over them. They were good and Al can eat them that way because they didn't have any sugar on them (he is diabetic and has to watch his sugar intake--or rather, I watch it for him :D)

Cracker Barrel does have good apple butter. Next to home-made, I like it better than any I have bought.

Genna, glad you are feeling better and that you were able to work out in your flower beds. It always feels good to get something accomplished that you have set your mind to do.

Charlotte, that Moonlight caladium is beautiful! I have signed up over on caladiums4less for their catalog and their emails. When they get their 2013 catalog ready, I will definitely be ordering some!

I found this painted tire planter on Pinterest and Al and I both liked it. We went to the local recycle center in Gainesville today to drop off some plastic and metal items. While we were there I noticed that they had a stack of rubber tires. SOOOOO,
we asked about them and the guy told us to take all we wanted. :D We took 8 tires and the best part is that they were FREE. We are going to paint them and make a planter with them like one of these:
http://birdsandbloomsblog.com/2012/03/31/recycled-backyard-tire-gardens/

I always thought tire planters were kind of tacky looking until I saw these painted ones. It may prove rather expensive to paint the tires but we are going to give it a try. I'll let you know how they turn out.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9300070

Marilyn on pinterest they had a tire that they painted red with white polka dots and made it look like a lady bug. So cute!! It was a swing but you could easily make it into a planter.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 8, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9300083

You will have to show us the finished ones.

Pinterest has so many good ideas. They had my account locked into a read only, I couldn't add anything because someone hacked into it from a different location. They had added 2 boards to it, why would anyone have enough time to mess around with someone else's account ?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9300095

Sandra I don't understand that either!!! I think it was Kathy Ann that mentioned some one had added some things to her board. Sounds like some body has too much time on there hands!

I may be giving pickled jalapeno peppers for Christmas!! LOL Just finished making 2 more pints. So far I've made about 10 pints from 3 plants! I'm ready for the plants to quit producing!! Just hate to throw it away! I have a huge tray of tomatoes I picked a couple of days ago. Lot's more are going to be ready in a few days. Also tired of tomatoes! I've canned them, frozen them several ways and made soup with them. Don't have room to freeze anymore!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9300126

That is like the pot that my BIL said kept making gravy. He was a cook on a boat on the Ms. River and he said he had to throw it into the river and it kept right on making gravy. That is why the river is so muddy down our way. LOL!! Sorry!! Your tomato & pepper plants reminded me of that story.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9300133

That's a good one Jeri!! Also tired of canning! Have run out of jars and lids and don't want to buy anymore!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 9, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9300707

Those are cute tire planters - haven't seen those before. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

I am working in the yard every evening. Don't have time to get much done, but I figure it is helping a little maybe! I am trying to eradicate the bermuda grass from my beds and it is a slow and tediuos process and maybe futile. I have found that the bermuda roots are coming UNDER my rock border - not just between the rocks and over the rocks, but also UNDER! :( I am not sure how I am going to stop it... and it has me wondering if the standard metal border that Leigh bought me for my foundation planting is going to work! I hate the thought of getting this new foundation planting all finished to have bermuda take it over from UNDER the edging!!! I called a sheet metal shop yesterday and learned that they make custom edging for a lot of the local landscape people - it is 8" wide...well, they cut it 8" and roll the top to avoid the sharp edge, that makes it about 7 1/2" - where the bought edging that I have is probably 4" wide, and some of it has to stick up above ground or it won't do anygood...

anyone have any experience with bermuda grass and traditional metal edging? Does it work? or am I wasting my time and money???

My other beds don't have edging other than the rocks - and I am hoping to get the bermuda out of them and keep a moat type border around it to keep the bermuda away from the rocks. But getting it out of the beds may be next to impossible! I am finding some roots are REALLY deep!. I don't know how you would ever know you got it all... :(

Genna
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9300751

I hear you Charlotte! I ran out of jars too and had to buy the half-pint jars to make the apple butter for gifts. Of course I've given away more jars over the years so I was down a bunch from giving away salsa and jelly over the years. That was the main reason I made the apple butter to be able to have a few jars to give away at Christmas. I probably should just go ahead and buy some more jars and put them in the attic in case I need to make some more before Christmas. I should have bought some cherries and made cherry jelly. DH loves that and I haven't made any in a while.

I forgot to tell y'all this - I got stung on the hip, through my clothes, by a bee of some sort on Saturday afternoon. I was outside spray painting the sticks for that centerpiece I was making. I was bent over, spraying away, when I felt a little prick. I looked up wondering what it was, and I saw this black and yellow thing flying off, so I didn't get a good look at it. I was working in my usual spot where I always pot plants, etc. It hurt like the dickens for about 2 hours and is still red and itchy. DH and I looked around for a yellow jacket nest and didn't see anything, nor any sign of another bee. I'm wondering if it was an africanized bee since they are supposed to be aggressive. I have no clue. I work outside all year and this is the first time I've ever been stung. Makes me wonder if it was the paint odor that attracted it. Y'all be careful out there.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9300936

Genna, bermuda grass is hard to get rid of in your flowerbeds. :o( You just have to keep at it. I used round-up on it when I lived in Cabot and that did work. You have to be very careful when you spray the round-up and not let it get on any of your plants. I would hold a piece of cardboard up against the flowers to protect them and put the nozzle of the sprayer right down on the bermuda grass. You don't want to spray it on a windy day. If it is really close to your plants you may just have to keep digging it out. Sorry I can't be more encouraging about it. We have the same problem here except it is with ivy and vinca. :o(

Elaine: sorry about the bee sting. Be sure to keep an eye on it and go to the doctor if it gets any worse. I've heard bad things about those African bees.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 10, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9301378

Elaine, sorry to hear you got stung! If it was a yellow jacket - they will build in the ground! So they are HARD to find. I got swarmed one day while mowing - they had built a nest in the ground since the previous mowing... thankfully I took off on the mower and they didn't follow me. They had built close to a guide wire on a light pole and they swarmed the guide wire instead of following me. I had gotten stung by several yellow jackets when we were doing a lot of brush burning, etc in preparation for building our house. We had several large burn piles where we were burning trees, etc and they built a nest in the soft dirt of one of the piles and I didn't know it was there and threw some sticks on the pile and they got me several times. It was the first time I had ever been stung by a yellow jacket - but it hurt for days. It hurt really bad for the first 24 hrs and it made me sick. If I remember I had about 6 stings - but I think I would have been in trouble if there had been many more! The wasps have been REALLY bad at our house this year. They are EVERYWHERE! It has been a constant battle all summer to try to keep them under control. I do think they are attracted to certain smells because one afternoon I was out trying to clean out the inside of my vehicle - sprayed some cleaner on the doors, dash etc and was just cleaning away when I looked up outside the opposite window and there was a large swarm of wasps lurking outside. I knew I was fairly close to where there was a big nest, but I had not disturbed them in any way. I decided they HAD to be coming to check out that smell. I decided I didn't need to clean anymore and went inside :)

Marilyn, I have tried spraying the bermuda with RU - but not had a lot of luck. The leaves are so thin, I think it is just hard to get enough concentration taken up to do any good! But, MAYBE if I can get a lot of it dug up, then maybe I can keep it under control. I am just really worried about it trying to come under my metal edging.

Anyone know if it will??

It is overcast here today...looks like we might get some rain again.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 10, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9301415

You can also buy some of those sponge type paint brushes in the craft section and "paint" the grass with round up. That mini daylily bed I dug up had some shoot back up and Ipainted it. I also spray around the edges of the beds and that helps. It doesn't look so pretty, but it helps keep it from going under around and through what ever type edging you have. The zoysia grass was going into the roots of the daylily clumps and pushing them uo out of the ground. I lost several because of that before I figured out what was going on.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9301441

I've done that before too Sandra. I've used the sponge paint brush and round up to get rid of poison ivy. I just don't use round up any where around my beds! Too much danger of killing what I've worked so hard to get growing!
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 10, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9301450

I know what you mean Sandra! I am working right now in a small bed beside my concrete pad outside my garage. It is probably 8 X 8 or so. Sure seems a lot bigger when I am trying to get all that bermuda out though! :-) It is bordered on two sides by concrete from the pad, then the other two sides is bordered by chain link fence... the bermuda of course, is coming from the yard on two sides where the fence is located. IF I can get it clean, I am hoping to put an edging of some type inside the fence to try to prevent reinvasion. But, the daylilies in that bed, and the lycoris and other bulbs are having to be dug completely up - the bermuda gotten out of them, and then planted back. It is a major undertaking - thankfully it is a small bed. My big bed is going to have to have at least half of it done this way... but I am trying to get this one finished first so that I feel like I have at least accomplished something! :) Plus this is right where I walk in every day and out every morning... so I am ready to have it looking good again! This bed hasn't been cleaned out good in several years, can't say that about the big bed that I had clean and looking good in June, but you sure wouldn't think so now ! :( Thanks for the idea about the sponge brush. I hadn't thought about that - but that should work good!!

Does anyone have narcissis coming up? I have several bulbs in this bed and I can't tell if they are narcissis or lycoris - the lycoris bloomed in this bed a few weeks back - but i have several bulbs that have about 2-3" of greenery at the tops... wondered if the weather had the narcissis confused and that they are already growing??? Although some of the lycoris bulbs have some greenery too which I didn't think they were supposed to have until spring? Most of my lycoris bulbs are fairly large, and some of these are small bulbs.

I do have a daylily question for ya'll... when you plant your fans of DLs - do you usually spread them out? like place them several inches apart? or do you put them close together. I have been spreading mine apart (4- 5" )to hopefully allow for them to multiply and fill in, but I wasn't sure if that was what I should do.

Thanks!

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9301527

Yep, I've used straight round-up or brush-killer (works better than round-up IMO) with a cheapo sponge paint brush on many weeds. Genna, once you get the bermuda dug, it is much easier to control with the metal edging. Is there a guarantee you've got it all? No, the roots can run pretty deep, but if you get in there with a pitch fork and shovel and work at it about 3 inches from where you want to put your edging, then it's much easier to keep it out. I keep a mini-trench dug out where I don't want it to grow and then it's easier to keep the round-up sprayed and the stray patch that tries to grow is easier to control.

We looked all around the ground for a nest and didn't see one. Could have missed it of course but didn't see it. I think this one must have been attracted by the paint I was spraying.
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

October 10, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9301784

Hello everybody. I've missed a lot of conversation! Ya'll are all so busy! I went this past weekend to Crystal Bridges in Bentonville. What a treasure. The landscaping was wonderful too. Lots of natives. The walking trails are really nice and there is an art walk too. No admission fees for anyone!
If you haven't been yet - try to go. It knocked my socks off!

Many of you have bought mums. I found some of the nicest big ones (really big) at Kroger for 12.99 and they were in a nice black pot. Marilyn, your mums are gorgeous!

Bermuda grass: I have pulled and dug the stuff out of a front bed all summer. If I can get the root and all the runner it doesn't come back. Some of the runners are really deep though and you have to dig for them. I just pulled some more this afternoon, but much less than I started with! If you use roundup you have to be careful not to get it on something you don't want killed.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 10, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9301846

Sarah, don't spend too much money on mums!! you can get them at Dian's this sat when we go there after the luncheon, she has fabulous prices and huge mums too!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9301874

I want to come!!! But I can't!! I'll be with Yall in spirit!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9301965

I'll be there in spirit, too! I'll be thinking about ya'll as Al and I drive to Benton. We are going down there to visit some good friends--already had this trip planned before ya'll decided to have a luncheon. Al has a dental appointment early Sat. morning so we won't leave until he is finished at the dentist, which is why we won't be able to stop by your place, KA, before we head to Benton. :o( Ya'll have fun!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9302211

I would love to come also, but can't. A little too far at this time, but I will also have to settle for being there in spirit. Maybe when I retire I can take these longer trips or host one myself! I know y'all will have a great time.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9302388

Hey Gang! I'm back! Been a busy year. Thanks for thinking about me Jeri. Yes, I'm doing Halloween but this is my last year to do it here at the house. One of the local school's contacted about helping them this year but 6 weeks from an event isn't a enough time so I promised them I would help next year.I'm doing a mini haunted house this year. Just 3 rooms of my house and nothing horribley scarey. Of course we'll have the graveyard and giant spider and web outside, this year in addition to a photo booth then on inside to Grannie's Lil Shop of Horrors(pictured here) then into Zombie babies Nusery and out thur the CSI room...my kitchen where I commit most of my(culinary) crimes back outside to the garveyard.

Thumbnail by bigred

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9302748

Amazing, Peg! You always do it up right for Halloween! Great to hear you're still with us! Post again soon, girl.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2012

Post #9302764

Hey Peg!! Looks like you have the Halloween spirit going strong. I always enjoy your pictures!!! I agree with Elaine you need to post more, the weather is in that transition so hopefully you'll have more time!!!! I've enjoyed all the Halloween crafts on Piniterest. If I had any time I would definitely get in trouble.

I don't know if Lowes has the same prices everywhere, but I just saw an ad for 3.99 for Mums and Stines has them 3 for $10.00.
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
3:23 AM

Post #9302911

Thought when I retired I'd have lots of time but I think I'm busier than before.

I am the "Queen of Cardboard" when it comes to decorating.The top part of the fireplace mantel,I constructed from some heavy duty cardboard boxes.Done a few other new pieces this year from paper mache.My neighbor brought me some plastice juice bottles to see if I could make anything of them so I made "Toad" stools...LOL

Thumbnail by bigred

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 12, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9302921

Those are soo ugly Peg that they are cute!!! LOL!! Now you have an imagination!!!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9302991

Very cute! I'd never guess they were made of juice bottles!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9303058

Very cute and clever!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9303114

My DGD w/ my giant venus flytrap ...bet you can't guess what their made from.

Thumbnail by bigred

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9303118

humble beginnings of my "toad" stools...this will become the purple and red one

Thumbnail by bigred

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9303527

Sarah I'm very jealous of you getting to see Crystal Bridges - I want to go there next time I go to see my daughter who lives in NWA. I haven't bought any mums yet this year but my friend sent me a gorgeous one when I was in the hospital - those are usually hard to transplant but this one looks like it was from a nursery rather than a hot house so I'm hopeful in a few weeks when it quits blooming I can transplant it. All my asters are beginning to bloom - I love my asters just when it seems like nothing else will be blooming along come the asters and mums.

I actually have two Immortality Irises that are reblooming like crazy - my summer plan was to dig up all those iris and eradicate the Bermuda grass and then plant them back because a lot of them never bloomed this year because they are so crowded, of course it hasn't happened and now I sure can't do that kind of work so I don't know what I'll do:(

I hope you guys have fun at Kathy Ann's tomorrow - I'll be thinking about you!!

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9303533

Charlotte what I meant to say is that I was going to be thinking about that grape salad tomorrow:) Just seeing it on the list made my mouth water!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 12, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9303570

Karen, I guess I missed you were in the hospital, hope you are fully recovered

Hi Peggy!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9303584

Karen just got through making the grape salad! We'll miss you but will be sure to eat enough grape salad for you!!! LOL

I'm not crazy about mums. I use them for decorating but that's the extinct of it. But I do love my Asters!!! Mine are blooming now too.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9303786

Sandra I don't think anyone on here really knew I had been sick.

I woke up two weeks ago Wednesday in pain which ended up being my gallbladder - super unexpected. I spent a whole week in the hospital 2 days waiting for them to do the surgery and then 5 days after. Apparently it was one of the top 5 worst ones my surgeon had ever seen - full of gangrene etc. So anyway I'm feeling really good went back to work on Thursday and am feeling pretty much like my old self but of course I am getting nothing done toward fall cleanup since I'm on NO lifting and I assume that means no pulling stubborn weeds and no shoveling too (not that I feel like it at this point anyway) I was right in the middle of redoing one of my bathrooms, new paint on the walls and cabinets and new decor so hopefully I can do a little work on that over the next couple of weeks at least. I guess these things never schedule themselves at a 'good' time but why do they have to happen in the middle of a project???

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #9303806

Karen I'm glad that you are doing much better but you are so right no lifting, means no shoveling and no pulling weeds!!! Please listen to your Dr. If it's like here the projects will be waiting on you when you are well enough to get back to them!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 13, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9303814

Wow, glad things are looking up ! I was sick for months before I had my gallbladder out. It is hard on us gardeners to not be able to get out. Spring will be here soon and all will be forgotten! I have had to "sit out" quite a few gardening seasons, so I can well sympathize! Eli has had a cold this week, so we have not even been sitting on the porch for the last few days.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9303872

I hope Eli is doing better!! It's so bad when they are little and don't know what is wrong but they sure know they don't like that big bubble with the tip that goes in their little nose. Mine would start screaming as soon as they saw it. I hated it too but it sure helped them.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 13, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9304050

Yes, I have been playing a game with him to suction his nose. I roll him up in a bath towel to keep his little arms down, and call him an Indian pappose, if I am laughing, he will laugh too. He will tolerate a little before the screaming starts. now we also have baby saline spray to wash them out at home--when Cayla was a baby that was only done in the hospital. It takes 2 to use the saline spray, he really doesn't like that !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9304213

I didn't have saline spray either. I was in worst shape at the end of the day then Jimmy and it always got worst at night for some reason.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9304292

Sorry to hear little Eli has a cold!! Hope he gets over it soon. I always feel so sorry for little ones when they are not feeling well.

Several of us had lunch at Kathy Ann's today. We ate way too much as usual! Then went plant shopping and Kim, Sarah and myself filled up the back of my pick up truck as usual! Fun, fun day!

Also got to see the Kathy Ann's new kitchen and it is gorgeous!! That girl really has the space to cook in now!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9304391

I'm glad Yall had so much fun!!! I bet KA is so glad that all that construction is over. I had to replace the floor in the back 1/2 of the guest house this week and that took a solid week to get it accomplished, but TG is done and Mary just came in from putting the 3rd coat of Quick Shine down. I'll get the guys to move her furniture back in place Monday and she should be good to go home after that. We put that laminate flooring down and with Quick Shine on top even a little water won't damage it, if something overflows. I've started taking carpet out of my rental units and putting in these floors and love it!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9305267

Yikes, Peg, that Venus fly-trap looks like it is about to take a bite out of your DGD's hair! LOL

Karen, so sorry to hear about your gall bladder surgery but glad that you are on the mend now. Jeri is right--the projects will be there when you get well so just follow doctor's orders.

Awww, Sandra, so sorry about Eli's cold. Hope he feels better really soon! (((((((((((((((Eli)))))))))))))))

Glad all you ladies had a good time at Kathy Ann's. Sounds like you bought a bunch of plants---again! LOL

Can a true gardener ever have too many plants? I was showing Al some knock-out roses today and telling him I thought we should get some. He said, "Where are you going to put them?" I said, "In the sunshine!" ROFL
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9305326

Hello everyone.. Sounds like you all had a good time at Kathy Ann's..Ms Marilyn I agree a gardener can never have to many plants. Im always thinking of something new to add to my yard. Even tho I have lots of things in pots that Im not going to plant out till next year, but Im always looking for something else...Its definately an addition..
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9305329

Peggy I love those mushrooms!!!!

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9305366

Sounds like y'all had a great time at Kathy's (and Dian's). Charlotte, you've got to take a smaller car or get a bigger yard, lol!

We pulled up most of the tomato plants today. I still have a couple of Sun Sugars that are producing a few tomatoes and picked a few Better boys but they are small so I left about 3 plants and the Red peppers are still producing, at least til the first frost.

I did find some blooms on my Confederate Rose and a pretty bloom on my late-blooming Pink Frost hydrangea.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying   Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying         

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9305389

Elaine there were 3 of us in the truck. So not all my plants! Actually most of what I bought was for an traffic island in my neighborhood. We're trying to do a better of job of landscaping it through out the year. I bought 1 mum for myself to decorate with and EE I'll have to take in. Dian gave us all a boa.

We actually made a full day of it! Had a great time. I left my house at 8:45 and didn't get back until after 5:00 pm.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9305632

I figured, Charlotte. Just kidding around with you and the rest that rode with you!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9305698

Salvias still blooming. Bought from local nusery,only labeled salvia

Thumbnail by bigred

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9306188

That looks like the Navajo Red I have blooming now. Gave some cuttings away at the plant swap. Hope they have survived and taken root!
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9306213

Salvias held up so well in 2011 heat and drought from H--L that I added a lot more this year and have some more in the greenhouse.
Pictured here,Teresa's Pink and cobalt sage

Thumbnail by bigred   Thumbnail by bigred         

gen2026
Camden, AR

October 15, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9306255

Love that Cobalt sage, haven't seen that color before!

Karen, sorry to hear you had to have surgery! Please be careful during the recovery - it is worse once you start feeling better and still can't do anything. But it is important to be patient! Kyle is scheduled to have his out on November 19. I hope he makes it that long...somedays his hurts really bad, other days it doesn't seem to bother him. They want him out of class for a week - so that is why we picked that day. He will miss two days of classes, but the rest of the week will be Thanksgiving break.

Hugs to Eli - hope he is feeling better soon! No fun when babies are sick...

I know ya'll had a great time at Kathy Anns! Wish I could have gone... But I did get the edging up on one half of my foundation planting! Leigh gave it to me for Mother's day so I was excited to FINALLY get it in place! Got a few other things done this weekend, although never as much as I had hoped...

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9306280

I love salvias!! I now have several in my flower bed out front and can hardly wait to see them all blooming next season!

Today Al and I scrubbed the old tires that we got at the recycle center last week. He drilled holes in the side of each tire that will be facing down when we put the planter together. The holes are to let the water drain out. Tomorrow we will buy several spray cans of paint and get started painting the tires. This planter is most likely the kind of planter that you would NOT put in your front yard if you lived in an exclusive subdivision--ROFL--but since we live in the "boonies" we don't have to worry about what the neighbors think! :D

I ordered an indoor/outdoor wireless thermometer to use in our glassed-in porch and it arrived last Friday. It is battery operated and has two 'units'--one for inside and one for outside. The outside unit communicates with the inside unit and the inside unit shows the temperature in the glassed-in room as well as the relative humidity in there and it also shows the temperature inside the house as well as the time of day. Now all I need is one of those heaters to keep the room warm enough so I can keep my plants out there this winter. We are going to look for one the next time we go to Wal-Mart. Fortunately, our temps all week are supposed to be in the mid-to-high 70's during the day so I won't be needing a heater just yet.

I have had my two Thanksgiving cacti in "hiding" for the last month. Actually I have had them in our front guest bedroom with the blinds closed and the door closed so they have had very little light. I haven't watered them during that time, either. I brought them out today. One of them already has a few buds on it. :o) Hopefully by Thanksgiving they will both be blooming.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9306429

I know Kyle will be glad to get his surgery over with. He seems young to be having gall bladder problems. But then I really don't know anything about it.

Marilyn you will probably like your new thermostat but we have one of those and I really prefer mine plain old cheap regular thermometer/humidity meter . The one we have is just like the one you described. It is battery operated and you can tell the inside and outside temperature from the main unit and it also gives you the humidity and time . We really never pay any attention to it and think the battery probably needs to be replaced. Just never did like it. It was something Richard's daughter gave to him. But like I said you'll probably like yours .

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9306551

This is the thermometer I use. I have several of them and I hang or put them in the center of the area. Some I hang, some I place on something.
. That link didn't work will try again.
Here is the new link. Hope it works. Can't beat the price - only 3.48.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_79419-88123-90116-LG_0__?productId=3043987&Ntt=thermometer&pl=1¤tURL=?Ntt=thermometer&facetInfo=

This message was edited Oct 15, 2012 8:30 PM
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9306849

Genna the surgery itself was easy and recovery was fast - my problem was that I had no symptoms until I woke up in excrutiating pain so by the time they could work me in to the surgery schedule I was hurting for 3 days and then it was filled with gangrene and they had trouble tying off the duct and so I ended up going into the hospital on Wednesday having surgery on Friday and then not leaving until Tuesday because they were just sure I was going to have a complication because of there eing nothing solid to tie the sutures on the bile duct to. Course that hasn't happened so far thankfully, One of my nurses had hers out 2 weeks before I was there she went into the dr's office had an ultrasound at 10:30 surgery at 12:00 and home by 5:30 so obviously it is fairly easy when you aren't in horrible shape. I'm just super lucky mine still was done laproscopically because by all rights he should have opted for opening me up the traditional way and I'd still be laying around hurting:) Instead I went back to work last Thursday so I do appreciate that!
picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9307446

Hi everyone. Hard to jump in the middle, good to start to catch up. Thanks for the compliments on the Country fair photos. Hope some of my photos will be paintings this winter. Elaine, I loved the picture of your baby goats. I wish my pasture fence would hold them, I would love to have another one.

I have been moving all my Tropical plants in for the winter. Every year I say I am NOT keeping any cuttings. Well, I kept more than ever before. Every year I say I am going to have a sale in the Spring with plants, paintings from the garden and some of my pottery hanging baskets. Maybe this year LOL

Have any of you tried making the String Gardens?? I have had so much fun making these this year. Here is one I made using a Pitcher plant. I have also made several with Orchids, Succulents etc. Would be glad to share instructions if you want to make some.

Thumbnail by picabo

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9307547

Hey Betty!!! Congrats on your pictures!!!

I'm sure I'm gonna be in the same boat for all the cuttings and babies that I need to dig up. I spent most of my day Sunday, removing root beer plants from inside my G/H. I filled up my wheelbarrow with just root beer plants. I enjoyed putting things back and spacing everything so I can water without the water dripping onto the plants below. I still haven't started to pull the tropicals in. I dread the thought of doing that.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9307865

That is cool, Betty! I don't have any tropicals... :~( But if I did I'd go for making one.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9307883

Charlotte, so far I do like my new wireless thermometer because I can tell what the temp is on the glassed-in porch without going out there. We have a lot of deer eating acorns on our property right now and Al doesn't want me disturbing them in the early mornings when they are out there. He is a deer hunter and will get a deer during hunting season right here on our own property, therefore he doesn't want to disturb the routine of the deer. Soooo, I can check the temp in my new "greenhouse" without going out there. This morning we had four deer eating acorns just outside our back yard fence. They were out there for almost an hour before they moved on. It is neat to watch them but unfortunately for the deer, one of them will end up on our table at some point during this next year. :o~

Hi, Betty! Those string gardens look really neat. I would like directions, please. I have an orchid and would like to make a string garden with it.

Karen, you were certainly fortunate that you were still able to have the laparoscopic surgery. Glad to know that you are able to be up and around.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9307886

I share Betty's and Jeri's "boat". lol Jim has been nagging me about "down sizing" our exotic and tender perennials collection; then I turned to succulents instead. Like Betty maybe I'll sell some of my plants or simply host a Round up to our local gardeners here. But, Betty should you hold a plants sale, please dmail and let me know. Jim and I would love to make a trip to revisit your lovely garden. I also dream of returning to La. and visit my sister's garden as well.

My hat is off to Peggy and Elaine on your creativity with Halloween crafts and show pieces! Great job y'all. Marilyn, can't wait to see your painted-tire planters project unfold. Karen, glad to hear that you've had a speedy recovery! Continue the good healing process and back to gardening soon. I couldn't agree more with huneybunch_2000 on your statement about gardening. Sandra, like most of us here; we're so blessed to have grandchild(ren) to love and care for...

I wanted to say hi to Sarah and Kathy Ann, although we haven't met, hopefully one of these days our mutual love of gardening may bring us together? Who knows? Kathy, those plants I purchased from you way back, are doing great--still. I even crossed some of your brug's and created new hybrids. The experience has been a real blast!

Here I have a few pics. that I took from our local Botanical Garden and like to share. Decorative gourds for falls! And Tillandsia in blooms!

Oh Betty, do share your tips on how to create those string baskets.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9307893

What neat photos, Kim! All sorts of gourds and those lovely purple blooms!
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 17, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9307943

Marilyn, did the salvia that I brought you come out of its shock and recover ok? The momma plant is still totally covered in blooms - the bees and butterflies are on it daily since there are limited things blooming. My hot lips is totally LOADED as well! The three salvias that I brought home from Terrye all went into shock too and lost their leaves, but now they have new leaves on them and two of them even have blooms - so I think they are doing good.

Marilyn, did you trim your hot lips in the fall? I have never trimmed mine, but it is up about 4' tall and the branches are 'falling' open - all the branches are falling to the outside of the plant and the middle of the plant looks empty. My other big salvia is doing the same thing, but it dies back every year and comes back from the roots - my hot lips never dies completely back (or at least it hasn't been) so I wasn't sure if I should trim it back some... and if so , when?

Had a deer right outside my backyard fence this morning Marilyn. We are the same way, the boys hunt right behind the house.

Karen, glad to hear they kept you as a precaution instead of just sending you home! Seems like they don't seem to err on the side of caution much these days! I have a friend who was sent home from a hysterectomy that she had in LR. Her stitches came out as her husband was trying to get her into the house ... major, serious problem and he had to rush her to the ER here!! Thankfully everything was ok - but the situation was so bad that nurses in the ER took photos for her...said they knew she would need them to deal with the dr.!

I had my gallbladder taken out after being deathly sick for 3 months. I was pregnant with Kyle and had to get out of the first trimester before they could do surgery. I was hospitalized 3 times for infection and dehydration before we got to the point where we could have surgery... then had to have the old fashioned kind ...

Betty that string holder is neat... don't have good luck with tropicals because i don't have anywhere to keep them during the winter. Kim, those gourds are neat too! I love gourds but I have never tried growing any...

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9308000

Kim,
Roy was asking about you and Jim yesterday. We would love for you and Jim to come back for a visit. We will plan something next Spring.

I have made the String gardens several different ways. This is how I made two of the balls. I'm sure there are lots of other ways. This one is made from a twig Ball from Michaels. I used the middle size, about 6. I gently separated the twigs enough to get the roots inside. I lined the inside with sheet moss, put in the root and filled around it with Orchid potting mix. I discovered it is best to use the mix without the perlite in it. The little white pieces work their way through the moss and show. I have also used peat moss instead of the Orchid mix. I used a crochet hook to pull the hanging string through the root ball. I used jute wrapped wire to hang this one. You want something that will not be weakened from getting wet.

Thumbnail by picabo

picabo
Nashville, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9308002

I have also made them with sheet moss and not used the twig Ball. This time I used fishing line, this was blue line I think you can get some that is black or clear I think I would use that if I bought some, the blue is just what I had. I cut 4 pieces of string about twice as long as it will take to reach around the root ball of the plant you are using. I laid them in a bowl a little larger than the finished size crossing each piece in the bottom of the bowl. I had 8 ends of string hanging out of the bowl. I laid the sheet moss on top of the string, added the plant and some potting mix. I tied the strings around the moss and roots to make a ball. I also wrapped the ball with more string to make it secure. With the orchids I left some of the roots exposed.

Thumbnail by picabo

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9308687

That is so neat, Betty! I am going to try that with my orchid in the spring unless it blooms at that time. Hmmmm, maybe I should do it now before it blooms! :D

Genna, the salvia you gave me still looks like dead sticks but I am not giving up on it. I'm just hoping it will come back from the roots in the spring. Everything else I received at the RU is doing great, thank goodness! I never did cut back the Hot Lips when I lived in Cabot because it would put out green leaves on the old branches as well as putting out new growth from the bottom. However, once I was sure the old limbs had put out as many new green leaves as they were going to I would cut off the ends of the branches that were dead. If yours is falling over, it might be time to prune them back. I would wait until after the first really good frost to do that. They should put out new growth from the bottom next spring.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9308715

I cut my hot lips back sometime in the middle of the summer because they were so tall they were falling over into my walkway. They are blooming now and are back as tall as they were before I cut them. The cuttings I took to RU were some of what I cut off the plant and just didn't want to throw away.

A lot of things benefit from being cut back. I have a book about when and what type perennials need to be pruned back. They recommend cutting back a lot of things during the growing season.

My asters were shot up like crazy the first part of the summer. I knew they would be way too tall by the time they started blooming in the fall so I cut them way back during the summer. It didn't affect the blooms. It shot back up again and is blooming like crazy right now.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9308746

I agreed with y'all about Salvias, they're lovely to have in the garden. Marilyn, will those be hardy in Mo. where you're? I can't imagine how different it will be from Cabot? Charlotte, how I love those asters! But due to lack of sunny spot in the garden, I can't afford to have them. Please share pics. of your asters. Betty, thanks for the tips on the "string baskets" such lovely projects to do around the garden. Thank you. Do tell Roy Jim and I can't wait 'til we see you again. Jim said why wait 'til spring when it's so beautiful with the leaves color in Tenn. this time of year. lol Jim's enthusiasiam tells his heart is in the right place. But boys, this time of year is the most busy time of year. There are so many things needed to be done around here, and we'd like to make some trips visiting loved ones that live out of State as well. Genna, aren't those photos neat? I can't wait until I return to visit our various local Botanical gardens.

1. some succulents, this one turns color not because it's autumn, but because it's over expose with sunlight. :)
2. Ficus in driftwood with peat moss worked in the root ball.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love         

gen2026
Camden, AR

October 18, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9308747

Charlotte, that Raydon's aster that you gave us - I had given a start of it to my sister and she was just raving about how beautiful it was the other day! I lost mine last summer when I couldn't drag the hose down to that far bed... but she has several little plants and she is going to give me one back. Actually, I haven't walked down to that bed lately, and there actually could be a small piece of it, but I doubt it. Anyway, she has really enjoyed it - and has it in two or three beds now.

Marilyn, sorry to hear that. I really think I should have just cut all those tall stems off when I potted it. That is the first time I have ever layer rooted anything and I didn't realize until after the fact that it was still getting a lot of nourishment from the main plant, and that was a LOT of plant to support on a small root system. That plant dies back every fall, and I cut it to the ground, then it comes back - it is usually about 4' tall every year ... hopefully it will come back in the spring...if not, maybe I can just root some the old fashioned way for you.

My hot lips has more blooms on it right now than I think it ever has - it is completely loaded. It is funny because part of the blooms are completely white, part are completely red, and part are the hot lips blooms - but it is stunning.

gen2026
Camden, AR

October 18, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9308761

Kim, we cross posted. ... I agree there is SOOO much to do this time of year - of course, I am wayyyy behind in yard work because of that year we spent commuting to Little Rock every weekend!! I have been working and working and working trying to get as much done as possible before the time changes! I know after that, I won't have time to accomplish anything after work! I have been spending anywhere from an hour and a half to 2 hrs in the yard every afternoon, but man it is a SLOW process!! I did manage to get one small bed by my concrete pad completely cleaned out. It is an 8 X 14 ft bed between my concrete pad, and my fence. It wasn't too bad in part of it, but the two sides that back up to the fence were overrun with bermuda, and in places it had reached all the way across the bed. I basically dug up the entire bed by hand, even had to dig up a lot of the DLs and bulbs I had in the bed in order to get the bermuda out of the roots, and in between the bulbs. Now, I need to get some edging up inside the edge of the fence to try to prevent it from coming back in. Then I am going to add a couple of DLs to the bed and mulch and it will be complete.

Yesterday, because I didn't have the edging to finish up that small bed, I went back out and started on my large bed in my circle drive - yet again!! This is the one I had clean and newly mulched in June...but you sure wouldn't know that now! I poisoned about a 2' strip X 30' or so that was overrun with bermuda - and I have been working at trying to dig the roots out of that area. That is just around part of the edge of the bed... then I have to start working on the interior. I HOPE to have it done before winter sets in. Doubt I get to touch the other two beds. :( I feel like if I can get the big bed done, and get my foundation bed done I will have accomplished a lot. Having a HARD time finishing the foundation bed because I can not locate the plants that I want !! Everyone is sold out of everything! It is odd to me how they say the best time to plant shrubs is in the fall, but nobody carries any to sell then!! I also have to get my daffodil bulbs ordered and get them in the ground next month as well .

And to top it off. ... I would REALLY love to play hookey and go to the war eagle craft fair this weekend !!! I haven't been since 2000 and I am REALLY wanting to go... :(

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9308829

That ficus is really neat Kim! I bought a miniature japanese maple back in May. I have been intending to make a papercrete container for it. Papercrete is hypertufa using paper pulp instead of spagnum moss. But it was just too hot to get it done this summer and now it's getting too cool and too many other things on the list ahead of it! I temporarily planted it in a short round container and put lots of different wild moss in the container with it. I just went out to my MG project which is out in the woods and walked down a service road and was able to pick up 4 or 5 different types of colors of moss. I had intended to underplant it with miniature hostas. Need to take a picture of the mosses.

Marilyn do you have any problem with the deer eating your plants? We do at Wildwood. The entire property is fenced with a tall chain link fence but somehow they manage to find a way in. We planted a bunch of hosta and the deer ate everyone of them. Damaged them so much they didn't come back. They also eat on our camellias. We have several other things they like to snack on but other things they leave alone.

A friend of mine that has a house on Petit Jean also has a lot of problems with the deer eating her plants. She had a huge muscadine vine and the deer ate every single one of them. She is talking about putting an electric fence around certain things.

gen2026
Camden, AR

October 18, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9308897

My woods area is outside of our 'yard' and the deer are bad to eat the camellias back in there some years. I guess it depends on what else they have to eat. Didn't seem to bother them last year - but two years ago they ate every single leaf!!

Without our big dog this winter - they will probably venture closer to the house! :(

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9309131

Kim: I love the ficus and the succulent! I am now in zone 6b but I won't know until spring what plants will survive the winter up here. Our temps are usually about 10-15 degrees lower than they are in central AR but they really don't have bad winters up here as far as snow is concerned. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Charlotte, so far the deer have not bothered anything that I have planted. :o) I have one hosta in my shade bed and it is doing fine. The only thing that looks like it has been nibbled is one of the penstemons that Elaine gave me. I separated what was in the pot that Elaine brought and wound up with 3 or 4 penstemons. Only one of them has been nibbled and since it is so small, I think it might have been a bug of some kind that nibbled the leaves. The other penstemons are doing fine. The deer have plenty of acorns to eat right now so let's hope they don't get tired of an acorn diet. By the time the acorns are all gone, the plants will all be dormant and there won't be any leaves on them for the deer to eat! LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9309158

The spring and summer is when they have eaten things at Wildwood.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9309190

Charlotte and Marilyn, I'm air-layering that ficus. Genna, good luck with keeping the bermuda grass from tunnelling and invades your flower beds. Jim and I gave up on that task. Jim got rid of the small lawn of bermuda grass, and replaced it with Amerald Zoiza last summer. So far so good. I'm so relieved we didn't have to try to pull at those stubborn grass growing every where but where it was intended to. Such pest!

I would love to see Deers around here, but no such lucks, on the other hand, I didn't have to guard the garden from gazzing critters. We've plenty of rabbits, however domesticated pets sorta keep those at bay.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9309198

Kim I went one better than you - I just got rid of all grass in my backyard!! LOL It wouldn't grow anyway is actually the reason I got rid of it. The one thing I've learned that if you garden there is maintenance! If you don't have grass to pull out, you'll have some kind of weed. It's just part of gardening. No way around it.

Marilyn I don't think it's the snow that kills plants. It's the ground temperature. The colder the temperature and the longer time it stays cold, the colder the ground gets. Some plants can't take sustained low ground temps.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9309205

Charlotte, Jim was close to making a flower bed out of that little lawn. But I couldn't part with it. lol Gardening is a static job where we never run out of things to do. That's for sure. lol

I agreed with you on the ground temp. that freez the roots thus kill plants. Burrrrrrr, I just don't like cold weather at all.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 18, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9309236

You also have the problem of heaving where the ground freezes a lot too. I would tell everybody to not prune any of your perennial salvias until spring, they are bad to get water inside and freeze and it will kill them. If we have a mild winter they will be fine, but who knows what we will see before winter is over.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9309394

Sandra totally agree about cutting the salvia back now. It does benefit from being cut during the middle of the summer but it way too late now. As a matter of fact I don't cut any of my perennials back in the fall. I just leave all the dead stuff on until spring. It provides good insulation for the roots. I then just put some pine straw or leaves over the plant. When I clean up in the spring I cut all the dead foliage off.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9309404

Here are some hibiscus blooms from my garden.

Thumbnail by jeri11   Thumbnail by jeri11   Thumbnail by jeri11      

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9309407

I believe this is abutilon Mesopotamia. I cut it in half last month and there wasn't a leaf left. It has already bloomed and has a bunch of new leaves and buds ready to pop.

Thumbnail by jeri11   Thumbnail by jeri11         

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9309415

These crown of thrones are too big to go into either GH.

Thumbnail by jeri11   Thumbnail by jeri11         

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9309540

It's been a few days since i've been here, it's easy to post on fb because I usually post from my cell phone. but I do miss being here. I'm so glad all your plants are doing well kim, that was along time ago, back when I had the greenhouse and was a very part time employee at my job. Will be nice to meet you one day also!!

all the pictures are fabulous!!

Danny goes to court one day next week, someone is suing him of all things, 35 years and he's never had a troubled customer, this one is peeved, but nothing he's suing for is danny's fault. Danny built a back and front porch onto a new house, with new posts and railings, the back porch foundation settled sometime after he put it all up and now the posts don't touch the floor and some damaged has been caused, he's claiming that danny cut the posts too short . Lord have mercy, what a dork. You know, he couldn't have even set the railing if the posts weren't there tight. he's also suing for a couple other things, that was the painters fault and not danny's he didn't even know who they were using as painters, and they didn't match up the stain and he wants danny to remove boards adn replace them so that he can restain them. all of which aren't danny's fault, He did the trim and alot of extras, he didn't paint, stain and isn't responsible for the porch foundation settling. anyways, I'm still a little nervous about the whole ordeal. For him to think danny's responsible for any of this stuff is beyond me. not being suied for more than 700.00 but that's enough for never having been suied before. I think he goes to court on the 22 or 24th. it's been a year since he did that house, and he's just now suing, and he saw the work danny did right afterwards, never said a thing, cause it all looked fabulous. now the owner is having troubles wiht his porch . Danny is notorious about being excellent on his followup if a customer has troubles down the line with Danny's work, not all builders/contractors do that. This guy threatened danny 2 months ago so danny ignored his calls from then on, and then the guyserved papers. Say a little prayer, Even if the judge sees things the owners way, Danny's not worried about paying it, he'll pay a little each month till it's all paid for lol but it is not his fault these things are happening, to his foundation. he's also suing about some speaker wires danny covered up on the porch, nothing was ever said what to do with them or to do anything at all with them, so they got covered up. now he wants him to expose them, which danny would have done, if he hadn't been an XXX about it. even though he was never told to do anything with them when he was putting up the ceiling in the porch area.

Work has been very stressfull, the boss's wife had knee replacement and he's out of the shop alot. that won't change for quite a while. Bosse's daughter is pregnant and will be leaving soon, leaving me in charge, nothing new about that though, it may be a mom and pop place but that place puts out more work than all the employees can handle, and it's very stressfull keeping up with all the paper work, ordering, club stuff at harding, embroidery and front desk work.

ok enough rambling, I have to go, you all have a blessed day!! Sorry for the book long post.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9309543

Oh and it may be friday, but it's also the WORST day of the week for me. UG!! On with the show I guess.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9309573

(((((((((((((((((((((((((Kathy Ann)))))))))))))))))))))))))) Sorry about the lawsuit. Does Danny have a lawyer or is he representing himself? Sorry about Friday, too. Saturday will be better! :D

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9309588

Kathy Ann so sorry about all the lawsuit and all the stress going on!! Is he suing in the small claims court? When you deal with the general public you get all kinds of people!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9309646

KA, you can't please everyone all the time!!! We WERE the best and oldest mobile home moving company in La. and I can't even remember how many times we were sued. It never went to court. Our insurance would settle with the people and then go up on our insurance even thought they agreed we were right. The people all knew this game a head of time. Does Danny have a release that he has his customer sign accepting his work? If he doesn't this might be something to consider in the future. I know getting paid is a form of acceptance but not always. Another thought, haven't there been earthquakes in Ark. recently? Did Danny do the dirt work for the porches? Now to set a mobile home we have to check the PSI of the ground and depending on what the PSI was it determined how many pad blocks we had to use per set and how close the sets of blocks had to be to each other.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9309798

KA, sorry about the lawsuit. You are probably fortunate, although it doesn't seem that way, that it's the first and only time! People seem so lawsuit-happy these days. I'm confident, seeing photos of his work in your own home, that he will come out on top. If not, it sounds like the guy is such an azz, he will likely show his true colors in court as well.

Beautiful, beautifull photos, as usual, Jeri. Spectacular colors!

We're on our way to Knoxville to the AL-TN game tomorrow. Meeting up with friends today for a weekend at a lodge in the Smokies (Sevierville). It's always loads of fun and too much food and such. We tailgate almost all day tomorrow and gab before the game. One of my good friends is here from DC and another couple from Germany is visiting one of the couples this year. Should be exciting perspective on things! Roll Tide!! Jeri, hope LSU does good this weekend. (thought you wouldn't hear me say that, huh?)

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9310060

He is suing in small claims court and no Danny doesn't have a lawyer. We do have liability insurance that covers this sort of thing. Danny said he probably wouldn't turn it in it he did loose the case. Well find out next week . I'm headed to deer camp for the weekend. Going to eat someone else's cooking.

Had the shop pretty much all myself today with the exception of the screen printer. It was just as hectic as I thought it would be lol. But it's over for now. Sorry for the mistakes. I'm on my cell .

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012

Post #9310074

He doesn't need a lawyer in small claims court. I've been there myself! I was the one being sued. It's a long story. But short version I had a plumber that installed new fixtures in my upstairs bathrooms. The company I had used for years but the owner had retired and his son in law had taken over. The SIL was having lots of personal problems. I had already bought the fixtures I wanted installed but took them back so he could buy them wholesale and then get the markup himself. They were expensive solid brass fixtures I had bought at PC Hardware. It's been several years ago and I don't even remember all the details. I had paid him most of what he had charged me but I had some problem with the balance. Frankly don't even remember what now. Never could get him to respond to me so I just didn't pay the balance. He ended up suing me in small claims court. I just had to go down and wait until our time came up. The judge asked each of us to explain our side. In my case each of us lost somewhat. The judge had me pay something additional to the plumber but not as much as the plumber was saying I owed.

Kathy Ann I wouldn't worry about it. He does need to take any kind of documentation he has about the work he did. He needs to be able to document the work he did.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9310084

Thanks Elaine for thinking of our boys!!! We need a little more practice I'm afraid!!! Good luck to Yall and enjoy all your friends!!! The best time of the year is tailgating!!!! IMO!!!!

Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

October 21, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9311182

Oh KA! So sorry to hear about the lawsuit! Is there someone who could testify about the settling of the ground? I'll be thinking of you.
Had a great time at your house, your kitchen is fabulous!
I enjoyed the chili the next day too - thanks!

I've brought in my tender plants for the winter. Guess I'll put them in the spare bedroom. Silly me, I saw the greenhouse at Sam's like Charlotte bought, but I didn't buy it that day. Live and learn!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9311198

I've learned when you see those special buys at Sam's you better buy it then! It will will be gone the next day

I haven't brought any of my house plants in. I'm going to work on that this afternoon.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9311277

Sarah, sometimes you can find things like the greenhouse at Sam's online. Wouldn't hurt to check. When I was looking for a new compost bin, they no longer had them in the store but they did have them online.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 22, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9312050

KA, sorry to hear that ya'll are having to deal with a lawsuit... sounds like it will be easy for the judge to realize that the guy is going after the wrong person. I have heard some people in that area are sueing the gas companies because of the fracking ... have you heard of that? Your employer is blessed to have you! When I had my embroidery business, I never opened a retail shop for fear that I wouldn't be able to find decent employees and wouldn't be able to do it all myself!

Jeri - your pictures are very pretty!

Kim, Sandra has a lot of trouble with the zoysia getting into her beds too... guess any grass that spreads is that way!

I did end up playing hookey and going to War Eagle! I was so excited - like a kid in a candy store! Haven't been there since 2000, so it was nice to just get away and do something fun even if it was a rushed trip! Leigh and I left Thursday afternoon and so we didn't get to Eureka until midnight. Got up the next morning, had breakfast and then went to War Eagle and spent the day. We came back to Eureka, went to eat dinner, and drove thru downtown but all the shops were already closed. Saturday morning we got up early and headed back home because I was trying to get Leigh back to the ballgame at OBU. We didn't make it until halftime, and they ended up losing (they had been ranked 10th in the nation for their classification) - but we took Kyle and Jessi out to eat and were home by 6:30! Yesterday I made a trip to Magnolia to Pittman's Garden Market and bought 6 Firepower Nandinas, 6 camellias, 6 curly leaf ligustrum, and 2 silver king euchonymus (spelling?) for my foundation bed. Got everything at buy 1 get one free so I was happy! Still didn't find the false cypress that I have been looking for...but maybe I will have time to check some nurseries in LR tomorrow. We have to go back for a follow up dr appt on Leigh's shoulder and I have a LONG list of errands I need to run. We'll see how far I make it on all of them!

We did manage to get over half of the plants in the ground, and also planted two Autumn Blaze maples that Leigh had brought home last week from their sale.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9312376

Thanks Genna!! Boy Yall made a lot of headway. I'm gonna have to go google false cypress. You have me interested.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 22, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9312397

its chamaecysris pisifera ... I am looking for the Gold mop that gets about 3 X 3' but there are taller versions. I have about given up hope - no one around here knows what I am referring to - either by the common name or the scientific either :(

Kings Gold is another that I have on my list... there are pictures of both here on DG I think!

Edited to say: I really like the unusual chartruese color... and thought they would brighten things up during winter... but apparently no one around here knows about them!

Also, I had planned to use some of the small dwarf lorapetalum - purple pixie... but can't find it either. Plus, I have had two different nurseries tell me that they do not do well around here...not sure if that is bc they don't sell them, or if they really don't perform well here!!!

This message was edited Oct 22, 2012 2:41 PM
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9312400

Genna, you made a good haul. Sorry you didn't find any chamaecyparis 'false cypress', but hope you'll find it somewhere. It's getting fairly common so mabe you'll be able to get it somewhere. I agree with something you said earlier about the nurseries not cooperating with those of us who want to plant in the fall. You can always ask if one of the nurseries will order it for you. All they can do is say no. Now the work begins... Good luck! Hope the weather holds up for a while.

We had a great time this weekend. Saw good friends we don't see often enough. Some new ones - a couple from Germany were visiting and a couple from Canada who only come down for these games. So we were really 'international' this weekend. Had a low country boil on Friday night, blueberry pancakes on Saturday morning before we left for the tailgate, and of course loads of appetizers, sides, and desserts with all that. Then the ribs and stuff on Saturday pre-game. I'm so stuffed! It was great! The place we stay used to be run as a B&B so they have a really great kitchen. There were about 5 of us working in there on various dishes on Friday night (with various husbands and others drifting in and out to get something to drink or nibble) and we all had a place to work without being in someone's way. Had a ball. Alabama winning topped it off!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9312416

I really can't figure out why the lorapetalum is said not to do well in your area, Genna. I thought they were pretty well 'bullet proof'. I took some photos of mine at the lake condo a couple of weeks ago and meant to send them to you. I'll have to do a little more research and see what I can find about them. I'll also look for some of the Gold Mops and see if I can find some here too. I do know they don't much like wet feet.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9312472

Genna I'm not familar with this nursery but they have the false cypress for $11.99 qt. I'll look for the others on your list.

Sorry, forgot the link. LOL!!!

http://www.lazyssfarm.com/Plants/Shrubs/A-Ch Shrubs/shrubs_trees_Ca-Ch.htm#SHRU12170

This message was edited Oct 22, 2012 7:30 PM
Sarah_Claire
Little Rock, AR

October 22, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9312511

Thanks Elaine, I'll look onlline for the greenhouse. Sometimes Sam's will stock it again the next year if it has been a good seller. Your baby goats were adorable. I wanted to jump into the picture and play with them! I had goats when I was growing up and they had such personalities.

And Charlotte, my son Lee was with me and tried to get me to buy the greenhouse (even help set it up) but I couldn't think where to put it at the time.

Genna, I know that River Valley on Lawson has the plant you are looking for. I think they call it a gold thread leaf cypress. I love it!

Charlotte and I have joined a hiking club and we went on our first hike this past weekend to South Fork Nature Trails near Choctaw. The weather was great and we had a nice time hiking and meeting new friends and for Charlotte, old friends.
Next hike is a 2 night outing to Lake Ft. Smith and I'm looking forward to it. My body NEEDS this!!!!

Karen -- go to Crystal Bridges when you can. Don't miss it. Can't say enough good things about it. And, there are trails there to hike also. Just study the trail map very carefully before you start out.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9312537

I bought the greenhouse back in the spring. Probably April or May - maybe even March. It had been sitting in the box in my garage since then!!! Just now got around to putting it up. I really didn't need it this summer and things get prioritized with me as to when I have to have it!

Genna I'm like Sarah I've seen false cypress at various places around Little Rock and I know I've seen some also at River Valley. River Valley carries a lot of different varieties of cypress. Here is a link to one they have on their web site. It will give you directions as to how to get there and numbers to call to check.

Genna also scroll down the list on the left side until you see junipers and you will find a long list. You may find what you're looking for in that list.

http://rivervalleyhp.com/store/product/8165/Arborvitae,-Mr.-Bowling,-3-gal/

This message was edited Oct 22, 2012 6:17 PM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9312560

Genna here is a gold one at River Valley.

http://rivervalleyhp.com/store/product/9125/Juniper,-Sea-of-Gold,-2-gal/
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9312656

Genna, yes I have heard of that, I don't know of anybody close to me who's sued them though.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9312891

Genna, every article I have been reading about 'Purple Pixie' says it's one of the best plants for southern gardens in a long time. Both for containers (imagine that!) and for planting under windows, etc in the shrub bed due to it's small height (2 ft) and the fact it weeps and spreads and doesn't need but a little trim now and then. I have to clip a stray once a year, maybe, to keep mine trimmed and that's all. All articles I see say it's winter hardy in zones 7-10; one article said to zone 9. Water requirement is shown as 'medium'. We don't water much at the lake unless it's something we've just planted because we're not there during the week, so I would think you're desire to plant them is fine. I've always seen them at Lowe's and Home Depot around here. Hope you can find them, if not now, maybe keep some spots to put a few in next spring.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9314403

Well, court is over finally, and Danny pretty much has to pay all fees including his lawyer fees, only part he doesn't have to pay is the part bout the speaker wire being covered up. lol, I have no idea what went down at court, I wasn't there, but I'm sure,, Danny's words were not put together well enough to convince the judge that the foundation didn't settle. I asked , "did they guy check your work after it was finished and noticed that they were too short from the get go and he said, IT doesn't matter what was said , he lost and that's that. I'm aggrivated and disappointed, naturally, if i were there I think I could have presented it better, lol but i didn't say that. who would have thought he would have had to pay for something also tht should have been paid for by the painter. I have no clue, in two weeks we'll know exactly what we have to pay but you can bet it's somewhere in the area of 600 or so. Next time danny does a big job like this, you can bet he won't be leaving that job till he has full documention /pictures of his work. so he can prove himself bettter , hopefully it won't happen again.

I never dreamed it would go this way, and neither did he. why did the guy wait so long to tell danny he cut the posts too short? duh cause they weren't too short for along time. What is wrong with people these days.

anyways, i'm frustrated, and I need to go chill.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2012

Post #9314415

Sorry it turned out the way it. It's hard to prove something when it's just my word against your word. It is a good idea for him to always take pictures of his work. He can also use those pictures to show people when he's trying to get work from someone. From what I saw with small claims court it's strictly how the judge feels about and he doesn't want to spend a lot of time on it.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9314422

I did find out why he has to pay for the boards that were stained the wrong color, cause when he put the boards up they were already stained by the painters, and danny knew they didn't match, he still put them up. I guess, maybe it would have went another way had he mentioned to the owner that the boards don't match up.

I'm still very peeved it turned out this way, but i'm going to try to forget about it, the only one that seems to be bothered cause we lost is me. i pestered him alittle more about the foundation part, they guy had only called danny about 5 or 6 times, in the last month or so about the posts being too short, so for a year, I guess he was ok, but the owner told the judge that they never used that part of the prch and they never noticed it till now, still blows my mind about him loosing that part . 600 is alot of money to me. but i guess I need to look at it like danny, and say there's nothing you can do about it, just move on.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9314424

I agree with you charlotte, Danny will carry a camera around from now on and document all his work with pictures, he never felt the need before, but i said, you should now feel the need, sometimes, it's where he has to go back to the job to take the pictures, when the job is completed, and he doesn't like to take the time to do that, but he needs to, especially on big jobs like that one was.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 24, 2012

Post #9314440

Sorry that court didn't go well... I don't understand why it goes like that sometimes, but I do think that if he had been able to show photos, he would have been able to get out of it. Instead the owner MIGHT have photos of them being too short now... :( Life is surely not fair! I have gotten in the habit of trying to make myself take photos of my rent houses BEFORE I rent them for the same reason because it is hard to prove what they look like before they destroy them . I am like you and really let things like that get to me - but I am sure Danny has a LOT less stress if he is able to just accept things and let it go.
Wish I was more like that sometimes!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2012

Post #9314441

He could just get an inexpensive small point and shoot and keep it in his glove box.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 24, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9314443

Yeah, except in hot weather he might lose his images if it gets too hot in there ... but he could download pics occasionally and would at least have most jobs. But I agree, the big jobs definitely need to be documented!

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9314462

That's exactly right, Genna, the owner had photos danny didn't, and that's why the judge took his side, he has a digital camera fails to keep up with it, but I put it out tonight with spare batteries, and he will take photos from now on.

i wonder if some kind of form after the job is finished if he could have it signed by the customer saying he's satisfied with all work danny's done would help too. if I could find such a form.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9314464

funny thing, danny took lots of pictures of that house, even the boards that weren't stained th esame color but no photos of the back porch, he did have photos of the front porch, he said that wouldn't help him any so he didn't take them to court with him, I hope it never happens again but if it does , maybe we'll have the right photos to help us next time. you can see the photos of the front porch were done just the way danny said they were done, I asked him why he didn't take photos of the back porch, he said all the fancy wood work was on the front porch area, not the back porch area, go figure.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9314466

So sorry about that, Kathy Ann. I know it is frustrating for you. Sometimes you just have to put things behind you and go forward. What's done is done and in this case it seems there is nothing you can do to change it. A camera in Danny's truck is a very good idea--he just has to remember to use it! :o~

We crossed, KA. You might google "forms for contractors for clients to accept the job" or words to that effect and see what you come up with.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2012 8:02 PM

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9314503

I'm sorry Kathy Ann!! Unfortunately, courts tend to lend toward the individual instead of the company. This is why most insurance companies will settle out of court.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9314509

When you deal with the general public you end up with all kinds! Reminded me of an instance when I had the store. I had a lady buy a very expensive new vase and brought it back to me several months later claiming it had been repaired. She wanted me to give her her money back after 6 months or so! I refused and she threatened to turn me in to the Better Business Bureau. I was very nice to her but stood my ground I told her I was sorry but if that was what she felt she needed to do I certainly understood. She didn't turn me in. I stood my ground because it was a brand new vase and when she was discussing what she was wanting to do with it, three of us in the store thoroughly looked it over to see if we thought it could be made into a lamp. I also suggested she take it down to a lamp shop just down the street from me and get their opinion. At least 4 people had looked at the vase before she bought it and none of us had noticed any kind of repair. The repair in the vase she bought back was very noticeable and I was sure one of us would have noticed it if it had been that way in my shop. I had also never had a vendor ship me a repaired piece of pottery!! I don't know what happened to her vase or who repaired it but I couldn't believe she would bring it back to me and want her money back after that many months.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9314581

Kathy Ann, he should probably take 'before' and 'after' photos of every single job he does, no matter what. Probably wouldn't hurt to take some 'during' either. So sorry court didn't go well, but I guess it's a lesson learned. You can at least print off a few of each job and keep them filed with the job paperwork in case you ever need them and store the rest on a hard drive.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9314588

Charlotte. That is crazy!!! What lengths will some people go to.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #9314768

Let me tell you what happened to my company. We were hired to move a used mobile home from a dealer's lot to the customer's property and just drop it off. Total pull about 20 miles and paid about $500. About 3 miles from the customer's property the tongue collapsed and the customer told us he would hire a company to weld it back on could we leave it and come back tomorrow and finish the pull. To make a long story short. The welder caught the mobile home on fire. The fire dept. had to come out twice to put the fire out on the side of the road. My men had long gone. The welder had no insurance and we did. The customer sued us and won. I still can't figure that one out. The insurance company paid the $35,000 and immediately went up on our price. There were no contents and the mobile home was not worth $10,000.00 total when we hooked onto it. I don't miss any of this!!!!!!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9314854

Yes Kathy Ann don't feel like the lone ranger because anyone who has ever owned a business feels your pain - Wayne has been to court once in 20 years and the guy wrote him a hot check. Of course there was a small problem with something on this guys repair I can't remember the exact situation now but Wayne called around to all his vendors and other computer contacts and found the part locally for this guy to make it right. Then the guy tried to say that he had stopped payment on the check because of this problem even though the check was clearly marked 'insufficient'. He called Wayne a liar right in court - of course he knew he was in big trouble because if he was convicted it was a felony based on the amount of the check. Wayne said he thought he was going to lose right up until the minute the judge said he had won. Wayne is also not good with making a coherent story with good recall of dates and conversations so I'm surprised he won.

Jeri Wayne once had a wreck where he turned left in front of an oncoming car - swears it came out of nowhere. But it was such a tiny impact that the insurance adjuster couldn't even take a picture that showed the damage. Damage was a crack in the silver beauty ring around one headlight. The kid driving had no driver's license, the car had no license plate and yet our insurance company paid this kid $6000 for a neck injury - OMG!!!!

There is no accounting for the things that happen in court:)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9314873

They always go after the person with insurance!! And it seems they alway win! And like you say Jeri makes insurance go up!!

Until you've owned a business you don't have any idea of the hassle involved!!! Then city, state, etc nickle and dime you to death with all kind of fees. I had to pay a yearly fee in order to have a sign on the front window of my store in addition to business license, etc.!!! Now how do you operate a retail store without a sign?? You don't! Quick and easy revenue for the city! On, and on and on!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

October 25, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9314910

So sorry, Kathy Ann, that is a lot of money to me too, but some folks just aren't happy if they can't get something for nothing! Even if it means going to court, can't you just hear this person bragging to their buddies how he got his money back for his new porch---Danny is right though, it is over, so go on and make the best of things. Does Danny not have a phone with a camera he could use?
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 26, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9315869

Kathy, you could do some searching on the internet for a form - or at least for some ideas... but, you could write up your own form in Word and just save it to your computer. I think you might need to consider having different "sections" in the form for Danny to list the work done, and have the owner sign off that the work is ok for each "part" of the job.

You could have a section with lines for instance where Danny lists" front porch posts and trim"... and you could have a small line _____ for the owner to initial, with some wording that basically states that the owner has inspected that portion of the work and approved it. You could do that for each part of the job, and then have the owner actually sign and date at the bottom of the form. Then you could file the form with several sample pics attached - even if they were just printed out on paper on your computer printer. I have several numbered points in my rental contracts - and I tell my renters that when they read that point that IF there is a line out behind it, then that means there is something IMPORTANT in that section, and by initialing they acknowledge that they have read, understand, and agree to it. Then they also have to sign at the bottom of the contract. I used a couple of different contracts as samples and changed things to fit my situation. I even got into a mess one time with an unmarried couple that rented my Mom's house - they had a small baby together and they were both right out of HS. I didn't know the girl, but knew the boy's parents. I rented the house to them with the stipulation added to the bottom of the contract that HIS dad would be responsible for making sure they paid their rent on time and that there was no damage to the house. The Dad agreed because neither kid had any prior rental experience, or even bill paying experience... BUT, the girl and boy had some problems and she ended up making HIM move out of the house and let another boy move in! Not good for me - since I didn't know them at all, and not good for the Dad of the original boy because his name was on the line for any damages. Long story short, we convinced her that SHE is the one that had to move out - and thankfully she did. From then on, IF I rented to anyone who wasn't married, I made them designate one person that was responsible for rent and damages with the understanding that if they have ANY problems, the non-responsible party will be expected to vacate immediately. So far, that has worked well. All that to say, sometimes you just have to write things up in a manner to protect yourself and that is often hard to find on the shelf. I doubt it is a guarantee that you will win in court, but it would sure up your odds.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9316706

I think in the long run, having his customers sign papers when the job is finished, is not a good thing. I think it lets the customer know that we don't want to be sued and also lets them think that we will not come back and fix anything if something should happen. (small repairs) or such that danny should fix and always does . I think that in the long run, if he just takes pictures of his work he will be ok. He saves a copy of all his estimates from now on also, he use to not even do that. so we'll have a date now of when the job started etc...

he does have a camera on his phone but it's not a smart phone, and he hates to take pics or text, it's one of those heavy duty work type phones, suppose to take alot of abuse but not good with texting or pictures. very small screen it's a flip top .

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9316851

I tend to agree with you Kathy Ann. I started thinking about work that I've had done and I don't recall anyone asking me to sign any kind of release or such on completion. This was the first time he had been sued and you are just going to occasionally run into a bad apple. I had all the windows in my house replaced and siding put over the wood trim about 10 years ago. On completion they gave me the name and number of an installer person that I could call if we had any problems. I had vinyl shutters put up instead of wood so I wouldn't have to worry about having them repainted. The sun shines directly on them in the afternoon. I have called them several times to come out and work on the shutters. At first the sun was causing the shutter to pull the bolt out. They have been out several times over the years and never charged me. That was one of the reasons I chose the company. They were not the most expensive but they were not the cheapest. But I felt they knew what they were doing and they stressed customer satisfaction.

Danny is good and has built a good business by word of mouth because of that. If he takes care of his customers his business will continue to grow. Taking pictures is a good idea so he has a record for when he might run into another bad apple. But it also is a really good idea to have a portfolio of his work to be able to show to other people. Not that they doubt his ability but sometimes people have a hard time visualizing something they want done. Looking at pictures of things he has done could help give them ideas.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9316859

I have to disagree. There is nothing wrong with asking the customer to acknowledge the job was completed to his satisfaction. My companies required it. You can't sign your rights away so it doesn't mean that the form will hold up in court but it makes the customer think twice before he does something like this guy did to Danny. We also had our customer sign prior to the job being done confirming they were told of the price for any extra charges that may occur.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9316876

Having a customer sign that the job was completed and to his satisfaction is different to me than a long check list that they have to sign. Most do have have short form that basically just says the work was completed. I'm sure I signed something acknowledging completion of the work. What I usually sign is just a short form (less than a paragraph) stating what they are charging and I'm signing that they have completed the work and that I have paid for the completion of the work. In the instance of the windows it would have listed all the windows and the cost and the siding and the cost. For a large job I always get several bids.

For smaller jobs I don't always even get an invoice. I have someone that does work for me occasionally. He does a lot of remodel work and flips houses when he can find one that will work. He retired early and does this as a side line. If he does something for me that is just a couple of hundred dollars or so. He just verbally tells me about what he will need to charge and when he is through he just verbally adds up the cost and I write him a check. He doesn't even give me a ticket. Works fine for me. I know him. Know the work he does and know how to get in touch with him if I have a problem.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9316896

But if there is something not completed you can list it when you sign. To me that is just being professional. For my parks the lease is 6 pages of things that aren't allowed and each one is there b/c someone broke it and it became necessary to list the infraction. It's amazing how stupid some people are!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 27, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9316898

Elaine, I wanted to tell you that Tuesday when we went to LR - I searched the town high and low trying to find some orange flat suckers... No luck :( I went in walgreens, kroger, target, a grocery store that I don't remember the name of, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and maybe a couple of other places - everyone looked at me like I was crazy! The ONLY thing I found that was close was a white and orange swirl one in Krogers. It wasn't really what I wanted so I didn't get them - Leigh said IF we bought them we would find what we wanted. I ended up buying some small black and orange popcorn style bags because I had hoped to send some to the kids and also to my great niece and nephew in Singapore. I bought some of the large hershey bars on sale at Kroger and decided I would use green construction paper and make them in to frankensteins... it worked fine, but then my 'center piece' was WAYYYY too big for the bag I bought. I have black bats and white ghosts in the little bag and that is going to be it apparently. I have a piece of styrofoam in the bottom but I need some weight in the bag so I might add some lose halloween candy to give it some weight. I plan to give the kids their bags tomorrow when we go to Arkadelphia for Kyle's first ever mtn bike race. I took them a "Frankenstein" last night because we went to Lowe's in HS to pick up some more manure, etc for my beds.

I have a large plastic coffee container that I am going to try to use a base to make up a thing for Alex and Natalie. Had to ditch the idea of sending some to Singapore - found out it would probably cost me close to 30 - 40 $$ to mail them a SMALL box! Decided it wasn't worth 30 dollars to send a 5 batch of lollipops! :(

After Halloween there will probably be round orange suckers EVERYWHERE!

Been waiting for it to warm up some... but gotta go get busy outside!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9316905

Genna did you go to Fresh Market and Whole Foods. I didn't pay attention to the colors but Fresh Market had lots of the big flat lollipops. They are in the Pleasant Ridge shopping center where Belk's is located.

I got my Halloween packages mailed yesterday. I took the easy way out. I just went to Fresh Market and from the loose bins of stuff I bought some of their favorite types of candy and snacks. They love those gummy things so I bought several types of those, chocolate covered pretzels, a fall mix that had nuts and candy corn in it, dried cinnamon apples slices, etc. Then I put it all in a brown paper sack put a little money on top and folded the sack over and wrote their name on it! LOL
I've been doing this every year since they have been born! I used to include silly stuff in the sack, spiders, glow in the dark stuff, silly string, etc. And I used to make halloween sacks out of halloween material. They've finally gotten too old for that stuff.

When they were here this summer I took them there the first day they were here and let them pick out a bunch of snacks. They were in heaven because I let them buy stuff their mother want let them keep on hand.

Jeri I totally agree that there are certain things you have to a contract for. I wouldn't think of renting something without a contract stating all the terms. In the case of moving something I would also want a contract stating all the conditions.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 27, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9317112

No Charlotte, I didn't get to that shopping center... thinking about it, I think that is where Elaine said she found them!! So, that is probably where I should have went... :( Oh well. The ones at Kroger might have worked but they just were not a pretty color - too washed out looking to have a good effect.

I used a black mylar to cover the bats - thinking the shiny would look better than tissue paper... but I have glued these eyes on a thousand times it seems! Mine definitely are not as cute as what Elaine did - but I think they did ok. I made Alex and Natalie's out of a large plastic coffee 'can' - all three have small candies such as whoppers, reeses', and kit kats underneath that you can't see in the pic.

Edited to say : Because i had just planned on using the popcorn boxes, I didn't buy the black foam board, so I didn't have anything cute to go on the outside of the coffee container... just used black and orange tissue paper. I do have some halloween stickys to go on it - I just have forgotten to put them on there!!

Headed back outside...

This message was edited Oct 27, 2012 1:30 PM

Thumbnail by gen2026

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9317139

Oh, Genna, yours are definitely cute! And since you had to make several, I think you did good! Yes, I did get mine at Fresh Market, and I wouldn't have thought about going there except the girl who had made this last year told me to go there for the suckers. I had to look a three places for the stupid spider rings that i just HAD to get. Of course I have a bag full now so if you ever need any, let me know! If you have any cheap small rocks or pebbles, you can always weight things down with those in the bottom. I'm sure the candy would be appreciated even more!

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9317196

Very cute, Genna.

The DG Christmas Luncheon will be at my house this year. I would for all of you to join us! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285897/

Thumbnail by duckmother

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9317210

They're cute Genna.
You should stop by Fresh Market when you're in LR just to see what all they have. I go there a lot for certain things. I love their selection of candy and snack items. My grandson's were in heaven when I took them there and told them to pick out what they wanted! I like that you can buy as little or as much as you want. They have zip loc bags for you to put them in. They also always have the big flat suckers. They have Godiva which I buy for several people on certain occasions.
I do also buy some real food there! LOL Love their coconut shrimp. It's not frozen but ready to just pop in the oven.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 27, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9317293

Thank you all for the compliments... it didn't turn out like I had planned, but since I was modifying as I went, I think it turned out ok. I did put some sand in the bottom of the coffee container, then covered with paper and styrofoam, then some shredded orange and black crepe paper - then candy...lol. Hopefully they will never get down to the sand!

I will have to keep the big suckers in mind, maybe I can use them for something else. I have lots of extra ribbon etc that I had bought and some little decorator things that I had planned to use on the ends of the ribbon because I couldn't find spider rings either - well big ugly ones - but not just simple black ones! How crazy...I just knew those would be easy to find! But then when I didn't find the big suckers, I didn't really have anything to put all the ribbon on - so I guess I have it for next time! I grossly underestimated the small dial rods that I purchased to attach the sucker sticks too - thankfully Leigh had some in the shop that were only slightly larger.

I will have to go in there Charlotte and check it out. Sounds like a neat store for sure. I have never been in there, but have been in whole foods several times.

I have been working a large part of the day on one end of my foundation bed! That particular end had really bad soil because even though my soil is already sandy, that area is where they piled the washed sand that they used for the foundation and brick work. I had Leigh use the front end loader to help me dig up part of it and get some of the black plastic out from under it that we had put down before they dumped the sand to help keep it clean,... then I tried to spread that washed sand out over the area into a thinner layer. I also added another 30 bags of manure and peat humus today. Added 15 a few days ago, and another 22 before that of mushroom compost!! FINALLY the dirt is looking decent. I am sure it could use some more - but the rest will just have to come from the mulch breaking down and slowly building up the area. That area only contained 3 crepe myrtles until last weekend. We planted 2 silver king euychonimis (SP?) next to the generator to hopefully eventually hide it, then today we planted 3 curly leaf ligustrums, 3 firepower nandinas, and we put a rock stepping stone path from the front of the house around the end to the carport. We always cut thru there and so I figured I might as well make a path way. I have three buckets in place where I plan to put three knockout roses, then I plan to add several daylilies in this area, possibly some additional nandinas, and I want some small drift roses in this area on the other edges. I plan to line the concrete and the front border of the bed with daffodil bulbs for spring. I would really like a small monkey grass type border that doesnt spread like crazy... or does anyone have any suggestions for a nice low border plant??

Here is a couple of shots of what I did today...

Thumbnail by gen2026   Thumbnail by gen2026         

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9317364

Your Halloween goody bags look really cute, Genna! Wow, have you ever been working hard on your foundation bed but the end results will be worth it in the long run!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012

Post #9317369

Genna your foundation bed is really shaping up! Like your stepping stone path. It adds interest as well as being functional.

I go to both Whole Foods and Fresh Market. They are the same type stores but each carries some different things. It just depends on what I need as to where I go. I do tend to go to Fresh Market more often and buy more from them.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9317379

Genna, your bed is looking great and I like your stone path too! You've done a lot of work!

I love Fresh Market but I don't do a lot of 'regular' shopping there. I do go there for some special items now and then. Like Charlotte says, they do have some wonderful things. Their bakery is wonderful and I have picked up some pre-cooked things (love their stuffed potatoes and chicken salad) and have grabbed a sandwich there on occasion. And like Charlotte said, their nuts, candy, etc you can buy by the pound. The grand-kids love to go in there and pick up a special treat.

I found the spider rings at Party City, but I had to have one of the sales people show me where they were in the store. Someone in another store told me to check there for them. I had looked at Hobby Lobby, Target, and a Dollar store and finally found them there.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2012

Post #9317413

I don't buy regular groceries from Fresh Market either but it is handy to pick up prepared food for dinner.

Party City is a great place to find those unusual things. I was in charge of "goodie bags" for a class reunion a couple of years ago and I found everything I needed at Party City including the bag to put the goodies in. One thing I put in the bag was mini bottles of the bubbles you blow. They were very inexpensive and everyone had lots of fun with them. Although I know it's a great place to look, I tend to forget about it too because it's not one of the stores I usually shop at.
gen2026
Camden, AR

October 27, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9317497

Thanks everyone... my back is sure feeling all the work I did today! You would think as much as I have been working in my yard, it would eventually get used to it - but apparently not! :( I have a long way to go, but finally today you could begin to see the progress!

I totally forgot about party city! even after seeing all the news about them reopening etc. Maybe I can remember those stores for the next whatever that comes up. Whatever I send to Singapore is going to have to go into a large flat envelope so that I can send them thru the Murphy mail system. Having to ship directly there is too expensive - and UPS doesn't go there!

Better get to bed - have to be up early in the morning because I need to be at DeGray before 9 a.m.! Kyle is in his first mountain bike race tomorrow morning. He doesn't expect to win - especially considering he doesn't even know what to expect really... but he wants us there just the same! :) Oh well, maybe I can take a nap while he is on the trail!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 6, 2012

Post #9326524

About 2 pm yesterday, Pat (my only full sister) called me and told me she was having chest pains, I called Cayla to come home, her neighbor drove her to the ER at Tupelo and I met them there, Pat and I live almost an hour apart, so she asked her friend to drive her there, I was about 10 minutes behind her.
To make a long story a little shorter, she stayed overnight, the heart doc on call for her clinic scheduled a stress test today to rule her heart out, it looked great but they though she might have an inflamed esophagus and put her on Protonics for 3 months. I stayed with her and they let her go this afternoon. I had to take her home and it was over 2 hours driving before I got myself home, no sleep last night to speak of and I was just exhausted, Praise The Lord it wasn't her heart !!!!! She was just released last Thursday from the heart doctors from having the stents put in in June.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9326532

Actually this sounds much better than being her heart. I have never heard of Protonics. Am I wrong that the esophagus is the passageway to the stomach? I'm going to google. TG!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

November 6, 2012

Post #9326540

Awg!! Sandra that sounds painful. I hope she feels better soon and that new med works.

I haven't heard you say how Jerry has been doing. Is he still going to Tenn each week?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 6, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9326560

No, he only has one more visit to make in March 2013 for his final blood work. He had that bad kidney infection and missed a week from work, when he went back they just had to show him he was missed--he has not had a day off since he went back has worked the past 2 sat and Sunday and yesterday they uped from 8 hours a day to 10-- he is dragging, but dragging ON !

Doc said today that Prevacid and Prilosec has been known to interact badly with some other prescriptions and Protonics does not have any effect on other meds. I need to research that as I take Prevacid every day.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9326562

What a scare for y'all!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
10:50 PM

Post #9326623

So sorry you all had such a scare Sandra but glad it wasn't her heart. Sounds like the other is something they can treat.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 7, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9326793

Yes it was scary, it scared her too
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9326881

Sandra, that is quite a scare! I had no idea the esophagus could be affected with those drugs. Hope Pat is feeling better and that you get some rest.

Good to hear from everyone, even if it was some negative news. I'm sure you've all been as busy as I have been. We've been working on our landscape. Have a big 'reveal' to show when I get a chance.

Elaine
gen2026
Camden, AR

November 7, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9326933

Sandra, so sorry you had such a scare, but thankful that it was not her heart!! I bet you were exhausted - nothing wears you out like trying to sleep at the hospital! I think my MIL was on protonics too - but it was because she was on a LOT of other medicines!

My sister Judy, Jessica, and Kyle and I made our trek to Branson over the weekend. Because of Kyle and Jessica's Chem quiz, we couldn't leave Arkadelphia until after 10 - then we were even later getting to Arkadelphia because my sister got to my house and had forgotten her coat! We had to go back to her house to get it because I didn't have anything heavy enough for her to borrow and she is COLD natured! We made a pit stop along the way in NLR at the pound and adopted a new dog...we didn't get to Branson until 4:30 - so we got a late start, but we had a lot of fun and found some good deals on things!

Then I had a drs appt and made another trip to LR yesterday for the appt and to pick up the dog we adopted... so last night we were busy trying to get our existing dogs to play nice and get along. The new dog weighs about 50 lbs probably - the little girls weigh about 24 but they THINK they should rule the roost. I hope eventually everyone settles down and becomes friends. Thankfully the one we adopted is pretty mellow and doesn't seem to be aggressive to them at all - she justs wants to fit in and have some attention.

After all this driving the past few days, I am exhausted. I have been wearing my coat all day at work, so I sure hope i am not coming down with something. They haven't given our flu shots here at work - and I sure hope I didn't get exposed to it over the weekend! Keeping my fingers crossed that it is just being tired that is the problem.

Elaine, looking forward to your landscaping reveal... I am sure it will be awesome!

Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

November 7, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9326995

Elaine, I was so tired I probably did not explain that right. The doctor told Pat that was the reason he prescribed her Protonics instead of letting her take Prevacid or Prilosec because they have been finding out that some of the over the counter things may interfere with you other prescribed meds. She was not on anything for her stomach, but she does take about 9 different meds
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9327019

Got it, Sandra. I hope the inflammation doesn't turn into something worse too!
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9327185

Genna, check your d-mail when you have a chance.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 7, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9327434

Sandra, as I said on another forum--I am glad that it was not Pat's heart that was causing the trouble. Please give her my regards.

Since nobody else has started a thread for November, I will go ahead and do it.
Be back in a minute. . .

Okay here is the link for our November thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287194/

Please join us!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America