Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: Oct. 2012, here is Fall, another mild Winter?

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 127, Views: 823
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9292966

We came from here. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278561/
This is zone 10 now! Who needs the ocean when it's 60 degrees in January here! I'm just kidding, likely last Winter won't be happening too often but I don't know what will happen this year!
I took this photo of a pot of Mezoo that Pepper sent me, (it's one of four pots). They are cuttings, they seem to be taking so far. If you look at the very end leaves, they are full and standing up like a rooted plant. The other, bigger, leaves don't look so good, that's fine with me, if a big plant comes out of it eventually, I'll be singing praises of Pepper and Mezoos! Of course, I sing her praises anyway, she is a terrific person!

Oh, the joys of raking! There are 2 mature Pin Oak trees in this smallish front yard and LOTS of leaves in the Fall. When I'm all done raking there is 35 to 40 lawn refuse sacks full of leaves! To give you an idea of the size of one of them I'll post a photo of one when the branch fell the other day. I've already cut the fallen branch up with my trusty 14" McCulloch electric chainsaw, (that's the firewood from it in the photo, I put a "free" sign on it).

Here is the silver cart that I'm transforming into something to house my houseplants and other tender potted plants, which number about 30 altogether. I have 3 shoplites to hopefully supply the plants with an adequate amount of light this Winter. I can see why these carts are so popular, they are versatile! Altho, they are a pain in the thing to work on! I'll get it done pretty soon though. I can't stand the thought of waiting too long to do something for my plants and killing some of them with the cold! I'm not really one to go with forecasts that are kinda too far in the future to be certain but the cold has to be coming sometime. -
http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast 32 is cold enuff for me and my plants! Ack! This thread will knock the Oct. 2011 thread off the front page I think, time marches on I suppose!
Will

This message was edited Oct 1, 2012 9:22 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click an image for an enlarged view.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9293006

I saw the forcast also. I started shivering just reading it!! 50 for a high on Sunday. Brrr!!!

Those carts are a pain to put together and take apart but as a whole piece they are worth the money!! Plus they allow air cirrculation which will be a big plus. I need to get my little table cleaned off and ready for the plants I'm bringing in. I'm bringing in 1 less plant this year. Last year I brought in my gerbea daisy but it withered to almost nothing til I put it back out this past spring. Then it came back big time but didn't bloom. So not keeping it. Just keeping my 2 dracentas, 2 tropical hibiscus and my desert rose. This all joins my pregnant plant that a coworker gave me cuttings of earlier this year. lol. I actually just whacked off the 2 stems of it that I have to make more cuttings. It's not filling out for me so I will do it for it. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9293019

I forgot to add "this thread is closed" on the Sept. thread so I did that a minute ago. Yes, that's a pretty cool forecast after Wed. looks like!
That cart is a pain alright! I don't think I've used my cheap Harbor Freight rubber mallet so much!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9293057

Well for today I moved about 100 rudbeckia lacianata, cutleaf coneflowers,wow was that ever!,moved about 8 purpleconeflowers and willow asters,I like the way the fall asters stand on the coneflower stalks.Nice white fall color.
Replanted a bunch of bulbs, and moved 2 three year old zebra grass plants,It might not sound like much only I got the meaning of "dig it" and then some.if that was not enough i lawn mowed Grandmas front yard and replanted a half a dozen blazing stars .
How's that for an evening of chores, isn't fall fun!!!
Day before yesterday a bunch of gallery lupines went in the garden 17 in fact.I'm really hoping they "root in" before the frost gets to be too much for them!!
I forgot about the two large clumps of daylilies that got moved in behind the coneflowers also. Couple of hours of Bzzzzz there!
Ain't we all a busy, industrious bunch of beavers to start this month!!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9293081

Ahh yes, the good times of planting, replanting and relocating plants and bulbs and stuff. The crunch is on, frost is very near! Yes, we are a bunch of industrious beavers this month and I have a photo of a groundhog to prove it! They are kind of close to a beaver aren't they?!

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9293096

Hey man, a Rat is a Rat! As long as they stay in the wild jungle outdoors ,in what we call cities ,it's all right by me!!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9293121

Haha, yes it is! This one was staggering around the yard yesterday. We were just standing a few feet from it watching it. It was walking in circles too. I think it might be sick or something, I hope not shot by a bb gun by a neighborhood stooge. I think it might've also got in the neighbor's beer cans in the backyard and got a buzz on. I Googled it and it suggested maybe it had eaten fermented berries but there isn't any berries around here right now. I hope it's alright, I haven't seen it today. It was kinda sad seeing it staggering around going in circles, hopefully it was temporary or was normal. Oh well, life goes on I hear!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 2, 2012
5:14 AM

Post #9293304

When it starts digging under the foundation of your house you may think differently of it. Most destructive rodent there is. Yes, rodent, like no good for anything.
They love tomatoes. People blame raccoon, but probably groundhogs. They are nocturnal so should be asleep in daytime.
Strange behavior may mean it has Rabies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9293647

Thanks Country, interesting reading there at Wikipedia about the Groundhog, Woodchuck or Whistle-pig. It says they don't stray far from their burrow, so now I wonder where the burrow is around here!
It would have to dig pretty far down to get under this foundation, this house has a basement. A big mouse..lol! There isn't any tomatoes or anything around here, they all dried up in July!
Something relieved me of all my peaches a long time ago, my blackberries dried up in July and unless people bought tomatoes they don't have any here! Now, if it goes up in my Persimmon tree it could get a few persimmons. There's not even enuff Persimmons to make a Persimmon pie, if I knew how to make it! I'm not sure now what relieved me of the peaches, the peach tree is still a smaller tree and something bent it some, probably up in it eating peaches and that Whistle-pig looks like it weighed at least 20 lbs. to bend the steenking tree!
I wasn't getting close enuff for it to bite me, I don't like it that much! lol I'll leave the handling to that guy in PA. that wears the top-hat! In any case, I don't want it to get to used to the yard for when plants do decide to be something, weather permitting! I like that Sears commercial of the lady for glasses, she says something like, "come snuggle with mama", she thought she was talking to her cat but she was letting in a raccoon! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZOeWFBy75A I got my new horn rimmed glasses from Walmart about a week ago and they work good! I might look like George McFly on Back To The Future but I see ok! -
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.hipstercrite.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/george-mcfly-glasses.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hipstercrite.com/2011/12/02/the-best-nerdy-glasses-for-your-boyfriend/george-mcfly-glasses/&h=287&w=400&sz=26&tbnid=c0ES6cs5RuDtcM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=125&zoom=1&usg=__IVtkw1A8z0mWOaRTAkYKlO5Atss=&docid=-ohBpNtmZ9EGmM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nilrUO_vG-OVyAGJuIDQDw&ved=0CCMQ9QEwAA&dur=1802
Will

This message was edited Oct 2, 2012 3:14 PM
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9294142

Oh, the time to bring plants in is creeping near, like 1 day near! According to the forecast it is still tolerable I'd think for houseplants outside for 2 more days but after Thurs. the temperature goes downhill! -
http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast Tomorrow, even though it says 80 during the day it starts dropping tomorrow nite it looks like. I hope to have most of my plants on my new silver baker's rack! I worked on it some more today, I just have one more shoplite to put on it and I'll be done. I got another photo of my shining silver baker's rack/plant cart!

I cut off 6 or 7 cuttings of English Ivy and got them planted at the base of my new and glorious trellis to one day let the Ivy climb up the chimney and thereabouts. I used a pencil to jab a hole in the dirt for the cuttings, I hope they don't want much room to spread out! They are kinda just a test to see if they will take root that unpreferred way. I will dig a trench and put in some loose soil from a bag if these don't like rooting this primitive way. I planted them on the inside of the trellis so they don't get hit by anything like a mower or a weedwhacker.

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf         

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9294183

I haven't caught the extended forcast yet so I didn't realize the temp was dropping that soon. I knew Sat was to be in mid 60s and Sunday to barely reach 50 if we get lucky. I really need to get my table cleaned off so I can get my plants on there. Maybe tomorrow I will have time when I get off work. lol
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9294600

Hi everyone, I really haven't fallen from the face of Missouri...rofl.

I heard we could hit 32 by Sunday morning or Monday morning don't remember for sure. I have been bringing in tropicals for the last couple of weeks but better stop messing around and get with the program sounds like to me.

I didn't read everything but enough to know you all have been busy busy. Short, those are the same racks I use in my garden room but I don't make them tall. I split them I have a rack that sticks out in front and two racks in the back so it looks like a stair step. Kind of hard to describe...rofl.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9294704

Hi happ! Welcome back to the nasal cavity of Missouri! Yeah, the temperature she is dropping a bit I think. I've been helping to organize my friend's house lo' these many years and actually there is 3 of those carts here but only that one has been cleared off and dispatched to a better setting like the garage. They've been used for household storage for a while here. They do offer a lot of storage in the house but there just comes a time when you have to realize they are probably not best utilized in the living space. Now, to get the one out of the kitchen and one out of the dining room! I'm not knocking my friend for using them, they were a good solution for storage for a long time, they just belong, ummm, out of sight. I'm more than happy to help, I have been unintentionally the beneficiary of such spanking nice cart(s)!
Here is what that same cart used to do in the foyer nearly 4 years ago. - Oh cool, I like the stair-step effect you describe for the racks, maybe I'll do that someday.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9295095

I finally got my little table cleared off so I'm good to go with bringing my stuff in. I may have to give up a dracenta plant though. I now have a houseplant on that table and I may not have enough room. I'll worry about it when I bring it in. lol

Here is a story that I heard about today. Grain Valley, MO is looking to replace their Santa Claus with a different one due to politics. Here is the link:

http://fox4kc.com/2012/10/01/town-politics-strips-town-santa-of-holiday-gig/
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9295259

Oh poor Santa, a victim of political in-fighting in Grain Valley, what a shame. I was bringing some plants in a minute ago, it is just so warm still! I'm gonna wait one more day on the last 10 or so. I put the BIG SpiderPlant in the living room window, it looks nice there. Trouble is, it'll be another month before there's a little decent sunlight there, when the leaves fall off the trees and let the little mostly indirect sun thru. That plant has came a long way in just a year and a half, here it is May before last as a being-potted-up-baby and here it is today in the window. - I have several babies still, potted and unpotted, if I can interest anybody in one or some, happ? Billyp, Crit, anybody, I'll mail you a baby for a stamp like I did juhur, I got the stamp!
Will

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9295279

All right I am here. I did not remember,, did you really get the stamp?, would you like a couple? Or would you like me to send them when I send more seeds or cuttings in return? ,, that I had not forgotten and will do spring or summer coming.
I am not here to give any one a bad time, especially you for being generous and a good conversationalist ...
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9295306

Oh no, you misunderstood. I got the stamp, it is on me, I got lots of stamps. You silly! It's just a stamp! I never wanted an ol' stamp! All I want is for you to go get a drink of water!
You don't give anyone a bad time! Thanks for the compliment. Has that SpiderPlant baby rooted? If the leaves are still full looking, I'd say it is.
Will

This message was edited Oct 3, 2012 11:13 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9295342

Yeah I;m a silly lol, yes the spider plant is doing well,, looks like it is still growing and had never stopped.I'm frustrated from looking for my new large eye-dropper I misplaced of all the silly things.
Willow water and some other things I want it for. I had sat"spider" on the porch a couple of times and brought it in at night .
Some other cutting are doing well and a few plants too,
I get to frustrated that way as sometimes when I have no time to play, when it is all I want to do !!I guess I need to grow up but I never will )lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9295347

Glad to hear the SpiderPlant is doing so well. I know what you mean about not growed up. It seems like I was just riding a bike with a banana seat yesterday!
All I want now is a bike like I had when I was a kid, only now I want the tallest chrome sissy-bar I can get. I always wanted a bike with a tall chrome sissy-bar, I've given up on the Corvette!
I too, am silly!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9295692

Short that is a beautiful spider plant...wowzer, you should really be proud of that one.

Our weather has been so strange, a friend at work said her crab apple tree is blooming again and I was at home depot and a cherry tree was blooming, so funny.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9295943

Thanks happ, I am proud of it! It has became one of my favorite plants. My friend that gave it to me says
she's taking it back, I tell her, "oh, it's mine now!"! She works nearby, she visits quite a bit. She's just
kidding, she has SpiderPlants of her own that are good size. She has access to the parent of this SpiderPlant,
she says it's just a monster! She saw mine again today and she says, "your going to have to repot that into a bigger pot".
Actually, I am a bit suspicious about how much bigger it's going to get, I hope she is just messing with me.
It's already incredibly heavy, like 40 or 50 lbs., my face gets red just from lifting it up onto this chain in the
living room! I don't think I've ever seen a bigger hanging basket for sale. I've looked at the plant and the dirt
in this planter, it doesn't look crowded yet, I hope she's just messing with me. It's a good thing that I used a stud finder to screw
those hooks in the ceiling! I don't think just drywall would support it. I didn't really want to blow something out lifting a houseplant!
I don't want to put it in a cart or a wheelbarrow or anything to move it because stuff hangs down and I wouldn't want to smash it.
I'm not trying to discourage anybody from getting one! It's a beautiful plant, I can still get babies, anybody?!
My roommate friend here even says she likes it. She says, "now, I like that plant"! At the time one of her cats was chewing on it!
I don't think they actually are eating much of it because I looked at it afterward and it just had a bunch of tiny holes in the leaves.
She says, "if they make my cats sick, I'm kicking your ***"! I've had plants out before and they never got sick.

Oh yes, I don't know how people have nice blooms and fruit and stuff around here because of this heat and drought we just had.
I think they would've had to have sprinklers going and even bring plants in a shed or something, some of my plants I think
just died from the heat. Geez, I hope next Summer isn't like that!
Will

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9296134

These days the idea of next summer ,scares me anymore. I do not even want to imagine ooooo, oooo.
I have heard spider plants will get as big as you let them ,when they are healthy they never stop growing just like trees.

i HEARD A STORY' About this guy from K.C. who disappeared, The detective investigating the case was fired because he was sure either the English ivy or Spider plant had done something with the guy.
Only nobody believed it!!

I do not know if they are poison to kitty, I guess you will find out,"beware of angry friends" lol

The older you get , the heavier things seems to get, Hmmm, wonder if things really are heavier?
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9296208

Touche', juhur, touche'.. I see I've been challenged! Actually, your right! I don't know about the age thing but I DID weigh it on a scale, okay it seemed heavy but NOT because I'm an old fart!
And, I trust your older than me to make a quip like that! I wouldn't dare remark about a lady's age! Haha! I am in my mid 40's so unless your older, shame on you! Just teasing, that is funny! Age jokes don't bother me! But, well played! Now, to the actual weight of the BIG and MONSTROUS SpiderPlant, it weighs..ahem.. 17 lbs... Okay, it seemed heavier when your trying to hoist it up like a crane, (without damaging the foliage hanging over the sides). Well, I think I weaseled out of that, so I fear no rebuttal!

Haha, after the Ivy and the SpiderPlants get big I'll keep my distance and I'll dig them up if I hear them licking their chops!

The Aspca website says SpiderPlants are non-toxic to cats, alot are though, I am sure I have some of the toxic ones but they don't seem to bother the ones here. - http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/Plants?plant_toxicity=toxic-to-cats

I have pretty much put some big finishing touches on my Winter cart. - It's funny, this one fluorescent plant bulb that is 8.5 years old is roughly 1/3 as bright as the Ecolux bulb next to it which I bought 2 days ago. You can't really tell it in the photo because of the glare but you can tell a little bit. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9296209

I have more photos of my glorious and esteemed Winter cart complete with plants and shoplites! -
Will

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9297324

I concure with juhur7 an airplane plant or spider plant will get as big as you want it. It will shoot out more babies if it is pot bound because it is trying to reproduce. I had a greenhouse a long time ago and had a huge airplane plant, I took babies and planted them in the dirt around the patio and they all went crazy growing, I really like that.

Love the asparagus fern those will get huge also, but don't let it ever dry out or it will drop leaves (look like needles) all over the place.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9297754

I love looking at asparagus ferns but hate touching them. They aren't soft!! LOL.

Everyone ready for the hard freeze tonight? I've got everything I need to bring in, in. All the rest are annuals or perennials in pots which I need to plant now that I think about it. I found that sticking pots in the ground helps them survive better. I've been slacking!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9297780

shortleaf; A couple of decades about the quip, that's all about that.; Really nice light and table for the plants ,wish I room for something like that.

pepper23 I am not ready for any kind of a freeze!!!! The pots in the ground is like my half full top soil bags, it works,lol

Never had any luck with asparagus ferns ,pretty light green color that I really enjoy,one of the more relaxing plants to watch or see.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9297789

Last year I stuck all my pots in my veggie garden. Gave it something to do that didn't require much effort over the winter. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9297834

Thanks happ, my Asparagas Fern started out small, it was like $1.98 or something. I took a photo of it a while ago, it spans the entire cart height! - Yeah, water has really grown it fast. I wonder if I should let it get so long. I always liked it mainly because it's on King Of The Hill in the kitchen window! Oh, I water kinda frequently..lol
I too love it's light green color. Airplane Plant eh? Interesting.

I wonder how long this Coleus will stay so red?! - Here's my other fairly good-sized SpiderPlant, I want to get it in a hanging basket eventually too. -
I hope this Mezoo makes it thru the Winter, it will make a beautiful trailing plant in a mixture of plants or even by itself (or with others) in a hanging planter. I'm into hanging planters, I hung 2 Boston Ferns outside by the front porch. They are so big, I wish I had room to try to overwinter them but I don't. Next year, I may hang my SpiderPlant or SpiderPlants out there, maybe some Mezoo or maybe even a striped Wondering Jew. I bought this other hanging basket at Walmart a couple of days ago, I think it was such a great deal at $7 but when I got home and compared it to my other one (that houses the big SpiderPlant), I was sorely disappointed! The new one isn't quite as big, the hook is smaller and not as thick and the chains aren't as long. -
That's the new one on the right and the old one on the left. That in the green hanger is a hangers-on Begonia that is still in it but barely.

Thanks juhur, I hope that is big enuff! Haha, I don't really have room for that, see all the clutter?! lol

A hard freeze tonite eh? I'm sure I'll find out I wasn't ready, I never am! lol I have everything in I think. I looked up the Mezoo, I was pleasantly suprised to see it's hardiness of 20. The only one I could find was called Dorotheanthus bellidiformis 'Mezoo Trailing Red'
Ice Plant, common name Livingstone Daisy - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/188738/ . They call it a "spiller", I also didn't know it was a succulent, maybe some also would be good for my succulent plantings. Glad you gave me some, all I see online is mostly it for sale at nurseries.

This message was edited Oct 6, 2012 8:37 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9297897

The two ice plants I have are Delosperma cooperii ARE Table mountain aka John proffit and firespinner ONE of them is suppose to be hardy down to -30 degrees that's one tough cactus succulent. You will see them after a while.
Someone sent me a couple of forsythia , how about the good folks here, huh?

I had to bring in my purple basil from the garden I almost lost it last night,too cold, too early, Not anymore ready for this than I was the summer!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9297914

Hehe.. glad you like that Forsythia, juhur! If you want more, I have it! I hope they make some great big nice plants for you! Me? Not really that good of a folk! lol

Oh, and here is my striped Wondering Jew, (Judio Errante). -

Here is a Mother-In-Laws-Tongue! -

Wow, -30, that is down there for a succulent planting. I also have maybe that one, the hardiness goes way down there.

Yeah, Basil isn't known for it's hardiness but it sure does taste good!

This message was edited Oct 6, 2012 10:33 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9297922

Grandma had a couple of Sensevaria like that ,those get big after a while also I saw the variegation on the ice plant , i like that!!
Wondering Jew is a nice one, took some time to get that way I imagine.
Not into partying with the neighbors huh? Are the blooms on your outside ice plant blue like the indoor or another color?
Mine are fluorescent blue-purple like your indoor and Gazania yellow .
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9297943

I got the regular Sanseveria (SnakePlant) and this one, the Mother-In-Laws-Tongue. Thanks,this M.I.T. is still fairly small, I just bought it in January for around $1.50 from Walmart. I hope they're okay with the current 50 in the garage. Yes, isn't that Mezoo cool?!
No, my partying days are over I'm afraid! Now, I just sit around and drink sweet tea! My IcePlant outside hasn't bloomed any flowers yet. Now, I want to see the blooms, they sound pretty!
I've got it in 4 locations outside, it is a ready cutting plant.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9297949

Here is that M.I.T. back when I bought it. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9300026

I'm still waiting for my Elephant Ears and the TropiCanna to lose their foliage which could be awhile it looks like, then I'll bring them in. Maybe I won't bring in the Canna, I might take a chance and plant it next to the foundation somewhere. I saw a friend's yard recently and she had Cannas overwinter next to her foundation. The TropiCanna is all the way over on the left in that light beige pot. -

There is my Persimmon tree starting to turn into it's nice Fall color! It even has a few persimmons for a single non-self-fruiting (dioecious) tree! - The color of that photo is a little funny but it showed the Persimmon clearer than the other four I took. I'll post the next best one so you'll see what I mean. -
Here is that Persimmon tree over 7 years ago, getting a hole dug! - That Dwarf Alberta Spruce in the old photo died this Summer in the heat and drought, (see it all brown back there,in the current photo, I haven't removed it yet).
Will

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9300059

Will, save a canna or two to overwinter inside and plant the rest outside and see if it overwinters. That way if they dont' overwinter you still have a couple.

I never did get my ee's planted this year. Now that my big tree is gone I will plant a couple next to each other to provide shade for my plants next year.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9300072

I thought that was one great big bulb. You think there's more than one in there? The last time I saw it it was all stuck together. Thanks, that's a good idea if I can do it.
That's a good idea, maybe I'll put EE's by that Persimmon tree next year.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9300080

You start out with one and it creates a million others every season. Similar to irises except cannas are only marginally hardy here and grow much faster. Just break them off and make sure each piece has roots.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9300103

Okay I'll try that, thanks.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2012
3:41 AM

Post #9300318

50/62/30
Cloudy with occasional showers this afternoon. Winds WSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Sorry I've gotten so far behind. I've been spending two nights at my Daughter's and that eats a big chunk of my week. Then I sleep in, trying to get myself back on schedule. Last Wednesday we all woke up with cold, so I'm fighting that right now.

I think it's turning into a combo of sinus and a cold. I did finally lose the headache, just left with a runny nose and coughing when I first get up. But, I have been getting over this in leaps and bounds. I'm really suprised. I guess all those hot peppers I was eating the week before did get my defenses up. I still got sick, but my body fought back quicker.

Yesterday I didn't feel ''good enough'' to pick up walnuts and rake, *cough cough*, but I did pick tomatoes and Brussels sprouts. I dug up the plants and took down the cages and stakes, then turned the small patch where the Brussels were. That was enough.

Today, I sincerely hope we get rain. I'm not going to my Daughter's, or having the boys till we're all done being sick. The twins have this, but the boys haven't yet. I give them a week and both will be down.

Anyway :o)
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012

Post #9301862

Hi billyp! You've been busy! I hope you get to feeling better! I watched this Yahoo video, it is neat, it's a corn field in Iowa!
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/woman-corn-watch-woman-seems-float-above-corn-172326979.html

I couldn't believe this one pot of Mezoo cuttings from Pepper even has a little red flower (Livingstone Red) already! - That's not bad for cuttings that are only 11 days old! They are going to make great hanging plants next year.

Boy, these 2 plants ('Munstead' Lavender and Georgia Blue Speedwell Veronica) in before and after photos is pretty impressive how they've grown! -

I have more photos to share!
Will

This message was edited Oct 10, 2012 7:51 PM

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012

Post #9301863

Here is how your mini-blinds get busted up! - She wears a harness sometimes because that's supposed to calm cats down. She is always stalking this other cat and swinging on him when he's not looking. It's funny, that other cat is much bigger than her! But, we don't walk our cats...lol

I hope this one light is enough for this SpiderPlant! - I put a smoke detector up there because that plant light bulb is barely smaller than the light, but it's gonna be fine. I think that black around the bulb is metal.

How about this Asparagas Fern growing like a good houseplant! - It really blows in the breeze now! -
I saw those 14" diameter metal hanging baskets on sale at Lowes for $4 something, I may get one for this Fern, it has pretty much filled up the green plastic one it's in.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2012 7:50 PM

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012

Post #9301864

I wonder if this Coleus is close enuff to the light? -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9301873

All of your plants are looking good!! The coleus looks especially happy. lol. Probably wouldn't hurt to cut it back some. It will get bushier that way.

Has anyone been dealing with those nasty little fruit flies this year? My grandma has them all over her house and we have them here too. It's gotten bad enough here that we have a fly strip hanging above the sink so that we can catch them. They are all over the place here!! Used to be they stayed in the kitchen and we would be able to kill them. Not this year!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9301883

No photos to share at the moment, yours look great,sorry to hear billyp is still not feeling well , wishing a get well soon that way.
I am not about it, but it looks like the coleus has plenty of light to me.Freezing here tonight, Your pics warm things up a bit ,they look all warm and cozy.
Not done planning or planting but mostly mulching, plants for winter.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9301920

Fruit Flies? Not me. Here, I think the regular house-flies (but larger) hatch out in the rec. room or something every steenking year!

Thanks! That Coleus is still full of sunlight I think, it's way too full all over for a wimpy old shoplite. I was just being sarcastic juhur, your a good sport, that Coleus I believe is touching the fluorescent bulbs! It seems detrimental to a plant to put it that close but I read that the closer the better actually, that 6 inches from a plant bulb is equal to half of regular sunlight. That's a good idea to cut it way back now. Does anybody want some of those Coleus cuttings? I can send easily with one of my many stamps. It's one of the prettiest Coleuses I have ever seen. That hadn't occurred to me yet, thanks pepper, I want to make at least 6 more Coleuses this Winter. It looks like I have about 20 cuttings there at least, anybody?

It gets cold at night here, not quite freezing yet but I'm sure it's not far off.
It's funny, they are still going with highs in the 70's here - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast
I spread out about 4 wheelbarrows of mulch today, just trying to make a last minute push to get a few things done that I've been putting off. -

My pics are all warm and fuzzy huh?! I'm only like 500 miles to your West! lol But thanks, I do like to try to be festive and have festive stuff!
I'll try to find a photo of one of my 2 Banana plants for you! There were 4 of them last year when I had them all (I was laying down weedblock, also known as rugs..lol), now there's only 2 'Basjoo' Bananas left! - Those bananas have the mulch on them this Winter, I'd say they each have about 6 inches of mulch on them! The reason that I know is because at first I laid down this black mulch, that turned out to be quite hideous so I then covered that all up with the present cedar mulch. I think this Summer was not the Bananas ideal environment and they languished real good and never got over about a foot tall, I think the heat just stopped any growth, hopefully next year they wake up.
One of them has 3 pups this year though.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2012 10:47 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9301931

yeah!! but being technical about 200 west 300 south lol Love the giant leaved plants Bananas ,Elephant ears. Dinosaur food . Fun:-)
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9301961

Dinosaur food..lol! Here's some Elephant Ears waiting patiently by the garage door for the cold to nip their ears! -

Haha juhur, man, that's like a one thousand dollar trip when you figure the price of gas! I'm coming to say hi to you guys, I'll be walking, so see you about next May!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9301986

Hitch a ride with some of my cousins they live in KC!!lol I have an aunt that lives about 1/3 that far between us ,$16.72 every 142 miles.at approx $4.00 a gallon. Grandma still goes to visit from time to time,lol
To the other question not many flies here , but a few ,fungus knats, I could do without them!!

That is mostly distant family and even you could be for all I know!!!LOL How's that for a scary thought before bedtime!!HA,HA HA !!! Love the pics and plants have a nice night.:-)
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9302028

Sure, if they pick up hitchhikers!

Yeah, not thinking I could possibly be a baby daddy..lol! Anything is possible I guess!

Hey, anybody want to see my latest Youtube video (3 minutes) I made today of most of my houseplants?! - [HYPERLINK@www.youtube.com]
Sorry it cuts off abruptly, my finger came off the button too soon I think.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2012
11:05 PM

Post #9302868

Where'd everybody go?! Boy, the weather is just so nice these days. I was out perusing my, okay not my domain..lol, but anyway the weather is nice when a stray cat finds your stuff nice too!
Don't mind the unpainted wall by the cat, that's the only part that I haven't painted. -
This big American Sycamore (Platanus Occidentalis) next door, the big yellow one in the middle with the whitish wood, is a nice yellow already. - That's my Persimmon (Diospyros Virginiana) on the lower left not right, sorry, it has a neat iridescent looking Fall color, but it's just starting out in Fall colors. On the lower right is my Hall's Honeysuckle, it's a climbing Honeysuckle, boy, it grew a lot this year. Here is another neighbor's BIG Cottonwood (Populus deltoides), it's still green, I like how the leaves on it make noise and how they shake around, it drops ALOT of leaves, so do all the big Sycamores around here. -
This is a closer-up shot of my Persimmon. - Here is an even closer shot of the Persimmon, isn't it just grand?! -
Will

edited to fix my left and right, sorry : )

This message was edited Oct 12, 2012 1:11 PM

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2012
11:05 PM

Post #9302869

Even a Flowering Dogwood (Cornus Florida) has nice Fall color in a 2 gallon black plastic pot. -
Missouri's state tree can put on a show mind you, that tree put the "show" in Show-Me-State! Okay, it's just some burned up looking scarlet leaves but you gotta believe hard that it's big and in full burned-up-looking-with-scarlet Fall glory! It's a nice little tree, we are really wanting to find a place to plant it. Unfortunately, with the demise of a couple big plants (2 Dwarf Alberta Spruces), some more room may have been opened up for something. In this photo you can see the brown back to the right in this photo, that's the deceased Dwarf Alberta Spruces. - In my watering defense, I thought those 2 D.A.S.'s were established enuff to withstand the Summer's bad heat and drought, they'd been there for years, but I was sorely proven otherwise! My friend here gives me a hard time about their demise! You can see my little brown Mugo Pine there too, (lower right), I think it's on it's way out. I need to look up the receipt on it, but I'm thinking it was a Fall special and not really worth enuff for a refund, or even store credit.

The TropiCanna's leaves appear to be smarting for the year. - It doesn't know it yet but that bulb(s) is about to get cut up and planted by the foundation for the Winter! I can see it now, I'm all bent over trying to find some TropiCanna growth outside about next April and nothing! Oh well, I intend to have some cut off for reserve soon so it's not all gone in the Spring.

You can see all that cluster of green back there by the brown, that's a big thicket of Blackberry bushes that did just fine this Summer. Happ, maybe I can get some of these bushes started by seeds this coming Spring. In any case, I hope the neighbors now like Blackberries!

I said, "Yeah, not thinking I could possibly be a baby daddy..lol!", afterwards it hit me, I was like "oh boy, what did I just say?!"
I never claimed to be politically correct or even just correct! Oh well, just another lame attempt at humor!
See you guys tomorrow!
Will

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9303516

I hope everyone is battening down the hatches right now. We are supposed to get some major storms tomorrow with 60+ mph winds and possible tornadoes. I will be in the city for a wedding so I am NOT looking forwards to it!! I don't want to be all dressed up when the storms hit. LOL.

Will, everything is looking good there!! I got all of the pots that I needed to plant planted and I'm in the process of dumping out the annuals. I got some but still have 3 more pots I think to go thru. lol.

Don't you just love those sycamores? I love everything about them. They are gorgeous trees!!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9303589

Thanks! I'm ready! Wow, a 100% chance of rain they say, that'll be nice. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast
Yeah, a wedding dress and strong horizontal rain would stink. That reminds me of a few years ago when I was getting out of my car to go into work about 5 years ago. I had an umbrella but the wind was driving the rain sideways and just soaking my pants. I sat in a cube at that job. I just sat there with soaked pants for the whole 10 hour shift! At least it was just rainwater that soaked my pants I guess!

Yeah, I always did like Sycamores, I used to grow them from seeds alot but I never had a place to plant them. I admired these 2 great big honking ones from near where I used to live about 5 miles from here, back in the day. That one by the window down there was a local record-holder for size or something a while back, but it got hit by lightning and a big ol' branch fell off the top of it. - Actually, in the first 2 photos I believe might show it with the branch still on it way up on the right of that tree. In the third photo, it is gone I think.
Here's one growing out of a Sunny Delight jug! - They grow good on streambanks. One year I put a small handful of Sycamore seeds, (they are tiny) in toilet paper with a big rock and threw them into my friend's muddy streambank going right thru his backyard! I haven't looked to see if they ever grew but he could have a streambank full of Sycamores now! I've sabotaged quite a few places with seeds in my day!

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9303590

Here is probably the best Fall color of any tree that I've ever seen, a Sugar Maple (Acer Saccharum) in front of a grade school down the street from a house where I used to live, (the first 2 photos). -
This is a couple of Baldcypress (Taxodium Distichum) trees that I thought was nice. I made the pic too light back then, but here it is. -

This is a row of White Oaks (Quercus Alba) in some nice purplish/red Fall color. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   Thumbnail by shortleaf   

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9303592

I have a sugar maple in my yard I planted several years ago. Got it from Powell Gardens. Was shorter than me and is now probably 10 feet tall.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9303595

They are great trees, the problem is they take up so much space and don't let hardly any light thru, so you can't have grass under it hardly, but very nice shade and Fall colors.
In my opinion, they are the best large Maple there is.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9303596

Two of my favorites;:-)
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9303602

Mine too, if I had a big yard or field to put it in. That tree is one thing that encourages me to someday get a big honking property someday.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9303608

$$$ Win the lottery ?:-) and win Sugar Maple Grove surrounded by White Oaks!! :-) :-) :-)
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9303625

Haha! I wish it was that easy! :-) :-) :-) Smilies for all I say!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9303928

Short just have a sec be careful over wintering coleus they are magnets for that white fuzzy insect cant think of the name. Airplane plants are hardy and dont require Lot of light. Sorry on my phone riding now the road. I use to work with a guy who lived in indep and over wintered his cannas outside but they were on the south side against foundation and mulched. We have a pear tree and neighbor gave me a huge box of apples and the fruit flies are horrible worse i have ever seen it. But the fruit is amazing
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9304226

Thanks happ, just today my friend was asking me to ask about flies in the house, she was telling me she thinks they are coming from my plants. I've seen bugs flying around down before but not that many. A little spider keeps building a web down there oddly enuff very close to the Coleus. It had attached it's most recent web to a SpiderPlant that I turned so the light might hit another part of it, anyway, now it has to make the web again, I just realized I did that or I woulda left it alone. I got a photo of it today, it's barely attached to the SpiderPlant now.
I plan on cutting the heck out of the Coleus for cuttings but I don't want to kill the plant. I sent 2 cuttings of it, Wondering Jew and SnakePlant to a friend in North Carolina today.
He's a nice guy, if anybody wants to subscribe to him on Youtube he is Dynamic Gardening, he has good tutorials and info. on many plants and houseplants.

This Rose Tree that I bought at HomeDepot for $19.99 is blooming some Roses. Sorry the photo is so blurry but it's pretty dark out and that usually makes the photos blurry. I always take at least one other photo in case one is blurry, but this time they were both blurry, which is kinda unusual unless it's a gloomy day

Same blurriness with this rainy day photo I took, but why couldn't it rain like this in July?! In that one I took three photos and they ALL turned out blurry! -

How about this Mezoo that pepper sent me, these cuttings appear to have already rooted, it is quite nice. It will make a glorious hanging plant next year. It has this cool variegated look, glad it's so easy to grow from cuttings!

You can hardly see this Wondering Jew from this outside photo, but when I brought the big pot of Wondering Jew in the house this one big branch of it had fallen down below where the pot was. it has rooted! Now, I get to see first-hand how hardy it is, they say it is fine down to between 10 and 20 degrees, we'll see!

Thanks for the advice on the Cannas happ. Odd thing about the South side here tho, is there is nearly no sun due to the large Pin Oak trees. I'm hoping they'll be okay with the West side.
I hate to push it like that but if they don't do good in the shade, I would be upset with myself! The West side gets good afternoon and evening sun. I am also hoping that maybe there is enuff shelter from the North all over to take a chance like that on the West side.

Can I interest anyone in a small Ponytail Palm? To give you an idea what they look like, here is my biggest one, when I was photographing the red flower on the Mezoo cutting, it was photobombing below it. - The extra ones I have are about twice that small but will reach the King Tut size in a year or so. I'd just mail the whole plant in an envelope, I'd hope it wouldn't get flattened out maybe in an automated sorting the mail process, that wouldn't be good, but I don't think that happens. I've seen the big, expensive Ponytail Palms for sale, they are all bulbous at the bottom and really quite striking.
It's not a good plant to have around cats though, they like to pull the little ones all the way out of the pot from chewing/tugging on the leaves, the leaves are nice too. I've repotted at least one that I found out on the floor.

I'll see if I can find an Airplane Plant, I like the name too!
Will

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9304330

Happ, you trickster! I didn't know an "Airplane Plant" was another name for a SpiderPlant! :-) Learn something new every day I guess!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9306608

Hehe.. check out the little Spiderweb on the Coleus! This little spider has been taking care of some business! The little flies are white! There is only 2 down there, I believe they are being consumed by spiders.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9306971

The little red flowers already on the Mezoo cuttings is incredible! - I can't wait till next year and these Mezoos to fill all out and be hanging.
My new Rose Tree is a little more magenta rather than the actual red but it is still nice. It's a little like getting a teal car when you wanted green but I'll deal with it, I could learn to love it anyway like I usually do with my plants. I just can't bring myself to be more discerning on colors, growth habits, blooming times, potential disease or something, even if it might be beneficial to the look of the plant or the garden as a whole. I can resist buying stuff at the store, that's gotta count for something! lol Anyway, I'm sure it'll be a nice Rose Tree, even if it is magenta rather than red! I kinda doubt it'll ever bloom like the label picture! I'll upload it too, it is something! If it ever really looks like that picture, I won't complain!

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9307407

The meezo is looking good!!

I've been busy admiring the fall colors and dumping the rest of my annuals out of their pots today. Didn't think I was gonna be able to because of the wind but down here in the holler it isn't so bad so was able to get that done today.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9309127

Thanks! Yes, there is a lot of nice Fall colors out and about. Today, I even went by that Sugar Maple up there to see it and it is less spectacular any more. I believe around 2005 they cut it on one side so it didn't interfere with some power lines, and it doesn't look quite right anymore. I forgot my camera so I didn't get a pic of it, I may be out tomorrow in that area though, there is some other trees nearby that I'd like to photograph also. Yeah, rural Missouri is awesome! I'm not really a fan of the neighbors in my business about the yard and my car coming or going.
I'm glad to be alive though!
Will

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9309139

Enjoying the fall here also ,the thing being about it though, is it being a little too cool except four an hour or two.
I love neighbors in my business though!!! driving through the yard breaking old tile flush pipes ,scaring the pets, making trenches to mow over or around, I just love em !! I surely do!!!.
I have been outside planting and planning,as far as planning and not getting much done, you know! lol
I wish it was spring already,I am never ready for winter,never have been ,never will be! But, there was a time as to go sledding, snowmen named frosty , and there has never been anything as good as an old fashioned snowball fight!!lol
Hey whose hiding the rocks in the snowballs?!!! Ah yes!!! life is a grand wonder!!! Well I think I will go plan some more and see if the grass is going to grow some more this winter!!! Uh,uh , say what?
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9309238

Oh, you just love them in your business huh?! I bet you wouldn't love them so much after code enforcement had been called 3 times on you! :-) Been outside planning eh? Me too, I figure when you watch a stray cat crawl thru a hole in your shed, maybe it's time to fix that wall of the shed! Your neighbors do all that?! They oughta be ashamed of themselves! Yeah, Winter isn't good for much, it just makes you wish it was Spring!

Hiding rocks in snowballs huh?! When I first read that somehow I got "whose hiding rocks in the snowman's eyeballs" lol! Isn't coal briquettes rocks?! lol
Ewww, rocks in snowballs! That's dastardly! That reminds me when I was kid I whizzed a snowball at my cousin and cut above his eye. I haven't see him in about ten years but it was scarred last I did. I felt bad, there was a rock in it or it was too icy or something! But, if you ever got hit by a snowball with a rock in it your not the only one sorry to say!

Around 50 here and a very stiff wind out of the West at 16mph. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast . Wow, it says 80 next week, that'll probably end up to be 60 that day! They pretty regularly forecast decent weather that far in the future, everybody knows not to blame the weatherman, that far in advance especially, they likely do it for a ratings boost that comes temporarily!

In the second photo of the Sugar Maple in Fall color up there, you can see the power line pretty good, that's where they butchered the tree up. They shoulda just planted a tree with a smaller diameter, that one just looks bad now!

No more grass, weeds maybe! Some weeds even seem to persist right thru the Winter!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9309257

That wind is cold today!! And it's blowing harder than 16mph over here. Especially at work. lol. Being on the hill like we are it's more like 20-25mph. That's where they need to come and check wind speed. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9309282

Yeah, I thought for sure it would be stronger than that. It definately feels like more. I was out breaking up some sticks, and fallen branches, and a BIG gust of wind even blew some limbs and sticks out of the trees right by me to work on! The West neighbor even got a limb then about 3 inches in diameter for them to move.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9309313

I forgot to say the tree next door had a large branch that came down on the roof. No one is living there presently,so the neighbors that I was talking about aren't there either,that doesn't do the owner much good when the tree trimmers have to haul away large limbs of an old silver maple tree, as they fall on the roof.
Grandma had three or four trees cut down and hauled away about ten years ago,the old half a century or more silver maples get to falling.
I was going to cut limbs on some smaller trees only every time the limbs started whipping back and forth in the wind that idea stayed in the planning stage.I don't need any scars from being hit with limbs.
Some of the limbs that came down to start with were a good foot or so in diameter, Ka, boom ,baby!!!
Well maybe someday another sugar maple where it has room to grow and a small blooming tree where they had to cut the tree.
As for the grass here it is outgrowing the weeds,and the people I use to know wouldn't of cared less about messing ya up with a rock in a snowball,cousin or no.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9309349

Fallen branches everywhere is a bummer. Here was all of them that I ended up cleaning up in 2002, there was a bad icestorm here. This was my Grandma's backyard then. -
Here was my backyard. - This is the view at my Grandma's house, my house and my Aunt's house then. - That's my neighbor's house with the downed lines, all those Dwarf Alberta Spruces in his yard were all bent over from ice.
Haha! Kaboom, baby! I remember while that storm was happening, my cousin almost got hit by a big falling branch from a danged ol' Silver Maple in my Grandma's yard, those trees just fell apart! Haha, I wouldn't say Kaboom baby but you said it first! lol

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9309546

Beautiful plant there Leaf, what are you going to do with thee rose for the winter? Knock outs might be easier to keep alive, people go to great lengths to keep them going. The funniest I saw was on the rose forum where someone had put pipe insulation around the tree, the curved styrofoam kind, I don't remember if it worked. Most people bury them which sounds odd but I did do that one year when I had bought roses at the end of the year and dug them up in march, the roses were beautiful that year. Alot of work tho.

Winds were horrible last night goodness and I hear they are going to be worse today.

Ok the white fuzzy bug I couldn't think of the name wasn't white flies but mealy bugs. Knock on wood I have never had a problem with white flies but I bet that little spider could do a number on them.
rofl airplane plant just sounds nicer than spider plant especially if you are afraid of spiders...rofl. Course they look more like a spider. I think I call them both, just depends on what pops out of my brain, course sometimes nothing pops out...rofl.

I think except for 2 huge brugmansia, 1 big elephant ear, 1 small elephant ear, everything else is indoors already. Course part of them on sitting on the garage floor which will not go over with DH for very long. I just don't seem to get anything done anymore, I get off a work, drive home which now is about an hour since the broadway bridge is closed and I just turn into a big lump on the couch...bad really bad.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9310045

Thanks happ. Hmmm.. I don't know what I'm going to do with the Rose Tree. Pipe insulation huh? There's some of that here, I'm going to do that, I'd hate for the "Tree" part of the Rose Tree to not come back! It says zone 5 on the label. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9306971&extraimg=2
It IS in a pot though. I definitely don't want it to die, that would bum me right out. 2 or 3 years ago, my housemate bought some Rose bushes from Springhill called MagicRoses and they all died. She was not happy, I was little man out on that!
I think what happened was it never got cold enuff in the garage and some plants didn't go dormant, I didn't think about that at the time and they just dried up I think, all the MagicRoses perished. I don't want to do that again, I'd rather just leave Roses outside like I shoulda done that year. If worse comes to worse, I can take it back dead with a receipt ($19.99). Here it is today, still in bloom! - I went to East Independence, MO. today and photographed that Sugar Maple tree (same one as in that post a few days ago) in Fall color, it isn't nearly as brilliant in Fall color as it was about ten years ago and before the butchering. - I think Fall colors on trees happened about 2 weeks early here because of the exceptionally hot and dry Summer we had.
Here is a big hedge of Burning Bush, even though it's a foreign thug bush, it's kinda pretty in the Fall. - This Flowering Dogwood is a red Fall stunner! - Do you see the squirrel? This tree does the state tree status proud! If anybody wants a Fall photo to start off the Nov. thread you can have that one if you want!
Here is my wannabe Dogwood in a black pot! -

I didn't see any white bugs or any bugs flying around down there today by the Coleus or anywhere. I saw about 5 Wolf Spiders of varying sizes, the largest one was about 3 inches in diameter and walked like it owned the garage! I coulda easily stepped on it, but Wolf Spiders don't bother me, it's Brown Recluse Spiders that freak me out.

Hehe.. your a lump on the couch! Me too I guess, well, also a lump in the computer chair!
Will

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9310049

Will, take the pot with the tree rose in it and bury it in the ground. That way it's still in the pot but it gets the insulating effect it needs from the ground. I did that with all but my Happy Child rose and my Armesia that are in pots. I need to get Happy Child buried soon though. I just stuck them all in my veggie garden. It worked great last year and it's pretty easy to dig them up.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9310053

Ok thanks, I will do that.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9310639

That is what I did when I purchased several at the end of the season one year. I turned mine sideways and buried it about 2 feet and piled mulch up about another foot. Then in March before it warmed too much I dug them up and planted them in the bed I had made the winter before. Worked like a champ. The rose guy in the kansas city gardener told me to do that.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9312611

Thanks happ, I'm gonna bury it like a squirrel! Boy, it has warmed up for a few days here. We turned the air conditioner back on, it is just too warm still! I'm still waiting for the cold to nip tyhe Elephant Ear's ears! I got a photo of them just sitting there waiting like good Elephant Ears! - Don't mind the stray cat or all the leaves! I get that Kansas City Gardener too, it's at the Kansas City Libraries, interesting free magazine. We finally got the driveway mostly cleared off of clutter. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf            

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9312623

I would love to get that mag but for me to get it, it will be $20 a year I think. I used to get free ones from Powell Gardens but I hardly ever make it out there anymore due to work being so crazy.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9312643

Here's that driveway photo again. Dang, I just clicked the photo, making sure even to NOT click the red x and it removed it from my earlier post, I just wanted to see how it looks on DG.
Here is some of the driveway now, we worked Sat. at clearing it pretty good. -
Eeekk, $20 a year, that is kinda steep for that magazine. It is worth free. It's kinda like some other magazines of note, many, many ads. I suppose it's kinda like ahem.. a Playboy, a few good pages and a whole lot of ads! But, in the Kansas City Gardener, the ads aren't that bad because it's informative ads that might actually come in handy because it's companies mostly nearby or within driving distance easily, selling services and stuff that you might actually need. Also, they have to pay for free I suppose.
Well, that's just my 2 cents, not breaking the magazine down, I enjoy it! :-)

Thumbnail by shortleaf

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9312653

Just stopped in to say HI!! We have a free garden mag of sorts here called Going Green, Lots of ads but interesting.

Only somehow I would bet you have heard that title expression before,seems a little familiar to me from some place.(hee hee)
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9313610

I see.. I am likened to a Playboy?! I must say I do like that lifestyle of Hef's, but alas, I don't think I could always wear the robe! How do you garden in a robe?! I've got something like "The Grotto" already envisioned for the backyard though!

Haha! All kidding aside, isn't this a fetching backyard all littered with fallen leaves from the colorful Persimmon tree?! -

There's that stray cat again! Does anyone know, should I prune this Butterfly Bush to make it fuller and have more flowers?

Here's my overwintered white Fall Mums from last year, it didn't put on a big show like it did last year when I bought it. - That's it in the gray pot. In that fish I believe is some Speedwell.
Will

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9313656

If you you were H,H you would be 90 and what and I doubt you would care about being the Mag!l chuckle,

You could be become that little old woman who always had a garden and would walk around in the mornings in her night robe in her blooming cottage garden.
Some say spring ,some say fall ,about pruning buddleia shrub ,might the articles page here at DG for that.

I haven't taken any pics in ages it seems, and here's a cat, you have seen before, He ain't stray only he is watching!

Thumbnail by juhur7

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9314064

Yeah, that ol' Hef is up there. But, bless your heart, aren't you precious?! Even 90 year old people look at magazines from time to time.
Sure, get me a nightgown and hiking boots and I'll walk thru the garden. Thanks, I'll look at the articles page for that.
That gray cat is probably laying in wait to get a pretty but fat songbird, they say regular housecats are eating them up. - http://www.straypetadvocacy.org/cat_predation.html That's a pretty cat though, we had a gray cat as kids, we called it kitty.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #9314301

I never trim the bf bush but we are so cold and windy it usually dies back. Hard to believe it is fall today and winter this weekend...rofl. Wish we would have a nice Halloween, I still love walking around with the trick or treaters. I am always tempted to dress up but my DH, DDL, DSS, would surely have me put in a home... ;) They are all too rigid and conservative but I am sure they all think I am way too crazy, so we work out ok.

Still have 4 tropicals out, a giant ee, 2 brugs, and a tea cup ee. Tea cup ee gets spider mites like crazy. The 2 brugs are probably 6 feet tall and I am running out of room. Just glad I don't have to dig anything, just figure out what to do with pots.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9314421

My butterfly bushes always died to the ground. But really you can prune it anytime. They are so hardy they will just bounce back like you didn't do anything. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9314499

Yeah, I don't ever remember a nice Halloween, I'd like at least one in the 70's! Haha! I'm gonna dress up as Hugh Hefner! lol
Wow, a 60% chance of rain tomorrow! And then, this weekend a low of 26 Sat. nite here in Kansas City. I don't want anyone to think I am fudging on my zone here in Kansas City.
Actually, when I enter my zipcode in zone finders, it always says 6, which is likely 6a. But, if it doesn't get cold much anymore in the Winter, there's no reason to stay at what I thought for years, zone 5b. If it gets down to -11F I'll change it back..lol I remember some very cold and snowy Winters as a born and raised Kansas Citian! I remember in 1989 when it was -23. I was working at a convenience store's graveyard shift. A younger lady came in and said, "can you tell what's wrong with my car?". I looked under the hood at -23 and took off the radiator cap and the antifreeze was froze solid, I told her, "it's froze solid".

Hey, here's one way to lay in wait for birds! My housemate says, "awww, that's so cute"! That cat is a stray that we also feed. -

I'll leave that Butterfly Bush alone, thanks.

I still need to go out and bring my big SpiderPlant back in. I hung it outside recently while it was so warm, so it could get some sun before the fluorescent Winter.
Tonite is only a low of 47 but after that it goes down according to the KSHB tv man, like 26 Sat. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9314535

Our Halloween will be nice compared to what the East Coast will have to possibly put up with. I'll be dressing up as a witch for work. My hat will be the entertainer and sing Ding Dong the Witch is Dead. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9315523

I saw a hurricane and a snow storm might be colliding for the East coast starting about Sunday and ending in time for Halloween there, Wednesday, called a "Frankenstorm" which they said could last for days!
- http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/hurricane-sandy-storms-collide-17566917 Sorry about the Chucke Cheese ad! Hehe.. I'll take 54 on Halloween!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9315558

I feel sorry for those who are in the path of that storm. That is gonna be a doozy!!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9316148

Yeah, that must stink just knowing it's coming, they say it could cause 1 billion dollars in damage. Hurricane Sandy (maybe then a tropical storm) already caused 21 fatalities in Haiti and Cuba from the flooding they said. - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49564356/ns/weather/#.UIraTIawVHU This says 31 fatalities, so don't know if there was more or it's a typo or what.
What stinks also about it snowing so early in the year is leaves might still be on trees to weigh the branches down considerably and they could fall on anything like houses or cars or something.
When we had that "October Surprise" here in 1996 a big branch weighed down with snow fell on my truck and dented it. It was an antique truck, I was upset to say the least! -
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/training/oct1996.html

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9316184

Grandma and the gang said to say hello! The last pic is for those dealing with the storms from the sea.

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9316201

Grandma said try again she wanted a better look for you, maybe a new hairdo.

Thumbnail by juhur7

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9316222

Hi there! Ack! My favorite is that second skeleton, can I get her number?! I like these pumpkins, they are creative too!
Will

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9316223

Wow, that hair, that hair is something! Everything should be just right!
Here is some more pumpkins! -

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9316276

My to say WOW!!! That pumpkin art is really something!!! Would you have ever thought of doing that with a pumpkin?
INCREDIBLE!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9316281

I THINK THE ADDRESS OF MY RED HAIRED COUSIN WAS ! ONE, ONE ,TWO .TWO BONEYARD HIGHWAY
DEAD CITY CAVERNS

HAVE TO LOOK UP THE ZIP.CODE
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9316334

Haha! That address sounds pretty scary! One thing about dating a skeleton, she wouldn't eat much on a date! Oh, sure, the zipcode, I bet it's 12345!
Thanks, that pumpkin art is too much!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9316425

Love the Halloween pics. LOL. I will be dressed up as a witch this year. Will have singing hat on again. I tried to buy the dancing broom from Avon to go with the hat but by the time I got smart I was too late and it's currently on back order. No one is able to get their hands on it.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012

Post #9316487

Here is some more pumpkins! - I've heard of a Dancing Santa Claus but not a dancing broom!

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012

Post #9316488

Even more!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9316495

Man!!! I love the pumpkin carving art!!!

here is my favorite skelley

Thumbnail by juhur7

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9316507

Here it is on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOfPsojSFZk&feature=related

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9316516

a mop made as a broom riding on a romba sweeper? CREATIVE!!!! AND THAT;S NEAT!!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9316519

Thanks, me too. Those skeletons look scary, I hope they don't get out of your house in Indiana! I looked at the dancing broom, it looks like it would cost more than $24.95, I thought it was like a robot when I first saw it, that's neat.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9316544

Oh, had I ever thought of doing that with a pumpkin? No. Altho, that one with the puke coming out of it looks like about a 10 minute job AND it's cool, that one doesn't look very hard, I think maybe I could swing that one! - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9316223&extraimg=2
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9317315

It costs more if you go outside Avon. But it's sold out everywhere so I'm out of luck anyways. lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9317478

Go Avon! Expanding their horizons more than skin-care stuff! I like the Geico witch commercial where the witch is flying around the broom factory! -

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9317721

Will,
Oh my gosh! The bull has horns too! Cool to see her standing on her horse.

Pepper,
I had fruit flies terrible this year.

Skippingg to the bottom since I'm running out of time.

COOL carvings! I also like the one where the big pumpkin eats the smaller one.

So! Today is the last day of the cold that followed my sinus. GRRR! I have not gottten my flu shot yet, and I am tired of being sick with the little things!

We took the boys home yesterday. We got them Thursday since there was an early out and no school Friday. It was cold, but we went out to the wildlife area and walked around. There are huge flocks of blackbirds this year.

We have storm windows and plastic put on all the windows, and put plastic around the screened in porch. Everything is put away outside so I guess we're ready for winter.

I stirred up some sourdough batter and need to make something with it today.

I'm watching the hurricane. Monster storms are not what we need, but with global warming, natural and man made, we are going to be seeing more of this.

It's light now and I see frost. It feels so cold after so many warm days :o(
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012

Post #9318342

Hiya Sally! Yes, cool to see her standing on her horse! That was neat how they lassoed that bull. For anyone that mighta missed it, it's this video here on Yahoo News - http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/woman-corn-watch-woman-seems-float-above-corn-172326979.html

Yeah, some of those pumpkin carvings are pretty dastardly!

Hope your cold and sinuses get better, Sally. I need to get a flu shot too.

I did the bulb thing today. I got the Elephant Ear bulbs inside as well as the TropiCanna bulbs, but not before I planted a TropiCanna bulb outside by the foundation for grins to see if it comes up next year! It's on the West side, it would preferably be on the South but the South gets little to no sun. I took a few photos of the job I did on it. - I ended up going with the TropiCanna bulb next to the blue folding razor, (I used it to cut thru the weed-block, aka an old rug..lol).
It's probably 8 - 10 inches in the hole and then the carpet pieces and about 4 inches of mulch on top of that. I cut the carpet pieces in strands to be sure any Cannas can grow thru there, if they do rear their head. In the third photo you can barely see the stem sticking up in front of that light Oak leaf. After I was all done, I even covered up the stem with mulch. I have plenty of other TropiCanna bulbs left, they are in the garage in a kitty litter bucket for the Winter! - Here is the Elephant Ears and the TropiCannas before I got them out of the pots. - The stray cats like my ground water bowls.
Will

This message was edited Oct 28, 2012 10:44 PM

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012

Post #9318343

I got my Rose Tree planted in some mulch. That sounds funny, "planted in mulch" but that spot is all mulch, I filled in the former waterpond that my housemate didn't like, with dyed black mulch that I had extra. That's where I buried the Rose Tree, maybe I'll leave it there, it's not a bad spot actually. - If it dies though, I have the receipt for a refund or store credit or whatever. I also buried that black pot of my precious Flowering Dogwood! - Maybe someday when it grows up it'll be as glorious as that one up a few posts.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9318446

I have a dogwood about two inches larger than yours,they look like twins at this stage!lol relatives are always up to something aren't they? Let me guess the Arbor Day Foundation?
Sound like you have been busy busy Vrrrooooooom!!!lol

Not me today or tomorrow it's cold .it's cold , it's cold and it's windy as said before lol Old bones for this weather when it is wet and cold ya know!!lol

And no that is not really a Halloween joke although it sure could be. Brrr and rattle rattle skeley boooo
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9318568

My tree is your tree's daddy! No, not The ArborDay Foundation, I got it from The Dep't of Missouri State Seedling program thing, they were a bundle of 25 seedlings for I think $8. I have two Dogwood seedlings, the other one is quite a bit smaller but I take care of it, it's this one's backup, a second banana, just-in-case or contingency plan! Yeah, I got my spurt of activity on for about 2 hours today, I can do alot in a fairly short amount of time, it's not easy being Superman you know!
Speaking of ArborDay, I have planted a few seedlings from there that today are trees twenty or so feet tall! Here is a Crabapple as a seedling from ArborDay that I planted and here it is a few years later. - That's the last photo of it I have, in 2009, they have moved. In the first photo I believe I was standing in the driveway, in the second photo it looks like I did a driveby and took the photo from the street, they are just different angles, they look quite a bit different, but it is the same tree. edited --> In retrospect, that's my red truck in the photo, I was over there at my Aunt and Uncle's having a Memorial Day weekend cookout or something like that. I sold that truck on Craigslist about 2 years later in the Summer of 2011. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuLQusPckGQ&feature=g-crec- I sold it, so don't try to offer me five dollars!
I sold it from that very ad, it pays to be up-front, even though I did sell it for less than a third of what I paid for it 3 years before that. I didn't have the heart to burn somebody like I got burned but it used all the oil up within 3 weeks, which I found out after I bought it originally.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2012 10:57 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9318767

Will,
Overnight, my cold is gone. I am so happy!
Yeah, with canna bulbs and the way they multiply, you have nothing to lose, and may be suprised. It looks well protected.
At least we got to enjoy the waterpond and saw all the hard work you put into it.
You have better luck planting those arbor day seedlings than I have had.

Ju,
Smiling. I agree. Cold is cold and I haven't gone out much either.

My sourdough wasn't sour enough. I added flour and a dash of water and stirred it down. Another day or two. I guess I did just throw it together the other day. Not enough time for it to sour even tho I made half with whole wheat flour.

Today, I really need to clean house...

Have a good day everyone!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9318878

Well sounds like our temps are going back up...hurray at least for a little bit. Hope it is nice halloween. I am not big on too scary...rofl. Last night I was watching 666 park place (which can be too scary for me) and something happened and I must of really jumped and I about scared to basset hound to death...rofl, it was sooo funny. He came flying up off the bed and his ears were up (well atleast up for a basset) and his head was turning left and right as fast as he could...just too funny.

My DGD is going as cinderella...and she is so cute. Not that I am bias...

All my tropicals are in. Saturday morning we had heavy heavy frost. When I woke up everything was white it was so heavy.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9319733

That's great news, Sally! Thanks, I hope the Cannas are well enuff protected. It was alot of work, thanks, I enjoyed it, someday I'll have a nice big one, that little pond was a learning experience.
The ArborDay seedlings HAVE been an experience that's for sure! I've personally only purchased the "10 free trees" once about ten years ago, that Crabapple was 1 of 2 that survived. Not that the others were no good, I think some just got forgot about, ran over with mowers, stuff like that, I gave them all away. The other "survivor" from that 10 is a Redbud at my Mom's house, it is doing well too. The best one from there that I myself have now is a Ponderosa Pine that was in a seed packet as a souvenir on a t-shirt that I bought from the ArborDay gift shop in Nebraska City, NE., when I visited with a friend in Jan. 04'. That tree is 2 - 3 feet tall now. The ArborDay place there is worth visiting if anybody wants someplace to visit someday on vacation.

I don't like scary movies myself, just basically not much of a fiction, sci/fi person!
I can just see your dog with his or her big Basset ears flapping! Yeah, Sat. nite was cold, I hope my Elephant Ears did okay with that, they were still outside then. Well, Walmart will be glad to sell me some more bulbs I suppose!

I told my friend, "let's try not to forget to turn off the porch light before dark this year", she agreed..lol

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9319758

Yes it is nice to hear from Sally on this thread and a couple of others,good conversation is always appreciated,as for me, a bit of a joker in the deck!.
Arbor day trees are my Dogwood, 2 lilacs, a redbud (that will mostly be done away with along with a couple of scruffy maples) a flowering crab, a Hackberry or a Hawthorne I will id that later.
As that I have a large Redbud I do not want anymore and I have all little ones I would ever have use and, or want of!lol
I have 2 little Hardwood Red Oaks that I let grow near the garden pretty already this time of year with that bright red leaf.
They might get tall enough to grow vines on for a while but for the time being I put small cages over them and grow MG's over them, maybe later beans or cukes lol
We all go through the light routine from time to time ,get to the point of being ridiculous some of the time .lol
I have tried a few ponds ,squirrels and small animals kept drowning in them ,so I gave that up double quike time

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9319760

P.S. it is still cold and we are about to find out if we get 60 degree winters!!lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
3:54 AM

Post #9319849

34/53/25
Plentiful sunshine. Winds NNW at 15 to 25 mph.

Happ,
I am cracking up!! It is so funny when we accidentally scare our pets. I can picture him!!
''Cinderella'' will look adorable!

Will,
It's funny how a missed elm, maple or mulberry seedling will grow just fine and healthy if you miss pulling it for a couple of years, but lovingly set out an Arbor Day tree and they fade away :o(
It's pretty awesome to grow the Pine from seed. A very great accomplishment!
I like creepy, but not slasher. Altho, I find myself scared to watch them by myself now. I never used to get that scared, LOL!!

Ju,
I enjoy you too :o)
Well gee, you can grow the trees too? LOL!
How cold are you usually this time of year? We usually have a hard freeze by the third week in October and it doesn't warm up much after that. November should be cold and rainy. A grey month.

It's going to be a beautiful moon for Halloween. Too bad it's going to be so cold. I imagine a lot of kids will be driven around.

Going to DD's today.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9320276

billyp' We usually have have hard freeze around the the first week of November,from then on it is usually the same til about April ,We will get a few warm days in February and the like only it doesn't last more than a day or two.
Nice thing about trees , they grow their self mostly and are fun to look at . If you have ever walked through a desert or a scrub wasteland you know what I mean about trees being fun to look at or have for shade.
Last time I scared one our pets ,it was Maggie a German Shepard ,she turned around and took a bite out of me ,!! not severely though,I could of done without that!!!lol
43 forecast for Halloween here, kinda cool for the ghouls too ,but not bad if we get to forego any rain.
42 degrees here now 32 for tonight ,it's currently rain drizzle and cloudy winds are whistling at 25 to 35 and "get a movin" with a gust or two .
ETC as said before it's cold it's cold, it's cold!!lol
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9320594

Haha! A Siberian Elm, a Silver Maple or a White Mulberry do notoriously grow anywhere and vigorously from what I've seen..lol
Thanks billyp, I have pretty good luck growing seedlings of trees into nice trees. Here is 2 Shumard Oaks in my Grandparents' backyard, I planted the 2 Oaks back there as well as the Black Hills Spruce in the foreground. I bet you guys get tired of me regurgitating photos like I do sometimes! :-) Hehe! But, here is the before photo of them and then the photo that I took today when I was over there. The Shumards were quite small when I got them out of a dumpster behind a Missouri Dep't of Conservation regional office nearby then, (with permission..lol).
The Fall color on them is nice, but they still have their green leaves.

Here I am today, I clean up nice! I didn't wear the cap to the bigshot convention!

Sorry to hear you got bitten ju. I once let a stray cat in where it wanted so bad and it proceeded to bite me on the chin when I was petting it!

Here is that t-shirt Ponderosa Pine seed in a cup before it sprouted and here it is this Spring. - That's it in the white wicker thing on the left.
Thanks billyp for the compliment on the Pine, I love the longer needles.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2012 9:04 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9320751

Well the evergreens are pretty!!! I got mine a few years ago when sears was changing their flower pot design,unfortunately Sears , closed and moved away last year. Bummer,lot of jobs.
Aw C'mon you stole a photo of Hef in cognito!!! You know you did!!!:-)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2012
3:52 AM

Post #9320818

31/52/30
Sunny. Winds NW at 10 to 20 mph.

Ju,
Your weather sounds pretty consistant. We can go from one extreme to another.
I love trees and photograph them a lot. I have quite a folder of tree pictures :o)
German shepards are my favorite dog! Do you have a picture of her?
Oooh, windy for you! We had wind, but it wasn't howling. It's usually noisy at 30mph. We usually don't gust too much above that..

Will,
Photos are always interesting even regurgitated :o) It's a wonder Dave's can even hold all the pictures we repeat. (Yes we :o)
They are beautiful trees! Luckily, someone had room to plant them.
Nice picture! Now you're going to bigshot conventions? Who is in the old picture behind you?
Wow! The pines did very well! How did the taco do? LOL! (From the lettering on the cup)

Ju,
No Sears. Wow. We still have one in the next town, in a huge Mall they built. So, we have to drive a ways, but we don't go often. We have all the tools we need. I do go for their shoes tho. Usually buy one and get one half price.
Hef :o)

Today I have to can chicken andf broth.

Have a wonderful day everyone. We are so lucky the hurricane isn't reaching us, except with a little wind.

My neighbor burning leaves.

Thumbnail by billyporter

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9321232

Yes, one must attend bigshot conventions when one is running for head bigshot! lol No, I had a job interview, they are such fun! If I don't get the job, at least they can't say I was under-dressed!
That is my housemate's Grandfather. That old photo is on a wall of 2 old photos and his WW1 helmet, (complete with bullet grazes on the helmet). That photo in the background of that photo of me up there is over a hundred years old. The Grandfather is a young soldier in the photos, my friend is honored to have these mementoes. That Grandfather has very few living relatives, only one actually that's interested in the mementoes. My Grandfather is a WW2 living legend, he was shot in his legs in Germany. He has the use of his legs, the scars are visible now though.

Oh, that is Hef in white shirt and tie! You know, I can't wear the robe ALL the time! I remember when Sears bought Kmart I used to tell people they changed the Kmart sign to "KSears",
they'd say, "really?", I'd say, "no, not really" lol!

Oh, I agree, the storage of data at DG and other places like Yahoo and Google and way more companies is staggering. For example, here is a video of a Google data storage facility in NC somewhere. - http://www.google.com/about/datacenters/inside/streetview/

We watched a video at school of a young guy with earbuds in his ears delivering a tray of emails to storage in the data center, it was incredible. Gmail is actually the free email to have because it is encrypted, even the free service. Here is an incredible video of the data center above. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avP5d16wEp0 This is the video we watched in school that day. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRwPSFpLX8I&feature=relmfu

How'd the taco do?..lol Actually it's named that because it is growing like a rebel in a Taco Bell parking lot in Illinois! - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/124779/ I have a photo of it. - See the roots growing over the railroad tie side or whatever it is, that's a Taco Bell in Springfield, Illinois! Taco Oak is Quercus x bebbiana 'Taco'. Years ago, in that cup, I had gotten some acorns from that tree, they grew, but I mistakenly gave the seedling away about 2005. A friend who lives nearby (an author of tree books) got those acorns for me in late 2003. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Sternberg I'm not trying to namedrop, Guy is an accomplished author, he's a great friend to people like me. Guy is awesome, he has dedicated his life to trees. He is so full of knowledge, he can drive down a street and name all the trees and bushes (just generally all flora) by common name and botanical name and they're not even close!

Oh, burning leaves and the smoke from it is a bad result for neighbors in rural areas, I remember that. Although, I burnt every week, I didn't have neighbors besides relatives, maybe that's why they shun me now!
Will

This message was edited Nov 1, 2012 6:54 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9322591

31/50/34
Partly cloudy this morning, then becoming cloudy during the afternoon. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.

Will,
What a neat tribute to her Grandfather. I love those old pictures!
Wow for your Grandfather too. I'm glad he got to keep his legs. A lot of them lost theirs.
Wow! Data! And on Youtube no less.
Laughing! I thought there would be more lettering around the cup I couldn't see. A real taco tree, hmmmm :o)
Neat picture!
Yeah, I used to smoke up the neighborhood too. Till I quit smoking. Now we throw them all across the road. I'd compost them if they weren't walnut leaves.

I ended up with 7 quarts of broth and some left over to freeze.

Got my flu shot and feel great! Only have a tiny soreness to the muscle. Dental cleaning later today.

Have a great day! You know, it's time to start the Thanksgiving menu...
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9322938

Nov. thread here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286565/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 11 May 13, 2008 1:11 AM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America