-
AuthorContent
Tammylp
Lima, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9293369

These bushes are about 20 years old and need moved. They grow many small stems from the ground each year (cut back to 6" every spring) to a height of approximately 36"; although my husband says they have grown much taller in the past. They have small oval leaves, no flowers.

Thumbnail by Tammylp   Thumbnail by Tammylp
Click an image for an enlarged view.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9293522

I think it is Spiraea, maybe Spiraea nipponica 'Snowmound' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/82637/
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9293527

But why wouldn't it have bloomed? Have you never seen any flowers?

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9293535

You may be cutting it back before bloom. It is a late spring/early summer bloomer here.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9293581

Guess I'm confused…I thought all Spiraea bloomed on new growth/wood.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9293622

The spring blooming types of Spiraea (which usually have white flowers) bloom on last year's growth so if you prune them in late winter you are pruning off all of the buds/bud wood. The summer blooming types (which usually have pink flowers) bloom on new growth so that kind of pruning won't affect them.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9293629

That is what had me confused…My Bridal wreath, S. prunifola, blooms on new growth every year. Hmmm.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9293807

tml1, but are you sure that's not just the new growth that comes out with the buds? One way you could test it is by choosing a few branches to prune back this fall and see what happens in spring.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9293881

I think I may do a bit of experimenting this year… Generally, I cut it back hard in the early Summer, after it has finished blooming. And when I say cut it back hard, I mean just that…I cut all the way back to the ground so that the bloom the following year is on nothing but all new growth. It then has the whole year to grow back out, and then bloom every Spring. There was one year that I did not cut it back, and it did bloom the following Spring, but quite sparingly. Hmmm. Maybe in the colder zone, they are pruning at the wrong time….

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9293993

Is there some discrepancy on what's being called 'new growth? I thought that branches that grew all summer and bloomed the following spring were considered old growth, like Forsythia. Those buds formed in summer and were on the branches through winter, then bloomed.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9294017

sallyg is correct about old vs. new growth. plantfreak78 is also correct that spring-flowering Spiraea flower from old growth, so if you cut them back in the spring you will never see flowers. The best time to prune them is late spring/early summer after they've finished flowering (as tlm1 has been doing).
Tammylp
Lima, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #9295890

I have a Miss Kim lilac bush that I must prune (if it needs shaping) immediately following bloom before any new growth appears, or I would be cutting off next year's flowers...this must be the same. I thought I remembered white flowers years ago, but wasn't sure; and my husband remembered them being much taller. Evidently, we did not cut them back years ago, and they bloomed. At some point when they became too large, we cut them to the ground and have been doing that each Spring. Since I cut them down every spring, I AM CUTTING THE STEMS THAT WOULD FLOWER !!! Thanks everyone for the help; I will leave them alone and see what happens.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9296169

In my neck of the woods, it's good to transplant in the Fall. As long as great attention is given to H2O. I'm interested in hearing about your success, or lack there of in transplanting this time of year……Happy Gardening! :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America