Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Recipes: Ripening green tomatoes

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 10, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ruth
Tabor, SD
(Zone 4b)

October 2, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9294101

Does anyone have any good way to ripen green tomatoes? I picked 5 buckets of them as it's supposed to be a killing frost this week and quite frankly, I'm really tired of watering them.
Or if you have any good recipes for green tomatoes, please post them.
Thanks
Ruth
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9295428

Easiest way I have found is to lay them in single layer on newspaper in cool room, check every day, and use as they ripen, or make green tomato preserves, fried green tomatoes or mincemeat.

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9295970

I pulled up the entire plant, striped off the leaves and nonfruited branches, and hung it in the garage. It's fairly warm in there on a warm day but no direct sunlight. One has ripened already and tasted fine., Some loose ones I brought in the house and are on a baker's rack, slowly ripening.

Tried fried green tomatos and they were not good.
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9296379

I talked to one of my sisters, she puts the green tomatoes in a paper bag with an apple, close the bag, she says she has done this for years and get really nice tomatoes in a few days

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9296418

Ditto on the brown paper bag, but I've never used the apple and it worked great without it
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9298255

Growing up in MN where my Mom would pick the last of the green tomatoes and we'd wrap them in newspaper and store them in the fruit cellar. They would be unwrapped and ripened on a kitchen windowsill as needed. The crop would usually last through Thanksgiving.
DougBert
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 5, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9325761

Oh my, Ruth, I haven't seen the name of your town in years. I agree with all of the above options. I have tried them all. A good use to green tomatoes and if you don't mind a little spice, I have been adapting over the years a green tomato salsa that is quite good if I do say so myself. I preserve about 30 pints a year and use every pint before the next season. I think I have posted it before but here it is again.

Green Tomato Salsa

2 Green Bell Peppers
1 Medium Onion
4 Cloves Garlic
3-4 lbs. Green tomatoes, quartered
4 four ounce cans of green chilies (I roast, peel and seed my own)
5 Jalapenos (less if desired but use at least 2) (Seeded and membrane removed to reduce the heat but heat is good for the soul, my opinion)
2 Tblsp Salt
1/3 C Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp Cumin
½ C Cilantro (Fresh and chopped)
¼ C Italian Parsley (Fresh and Chopped)

Chop the tomatoes, onion, garlic, both peppers, cilantro, and parsley in a food processer and process until salsa consistency.
Place everything in a sauce pan and simmer for 30 minutes.
Place in sterile ½ pint jars and process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes, pint
jars for 30 minutes.

If you don't can/preserve it freezes quite well, after the 30 minute simmer and a cooling down period. Freeze in quart bags.

Green Chile' Chicken
Green Chile' Beef Burritos
Chile' Colorado
Green Chile' Nachos
Green Chile' Enchiladas
Chile' Relleno Casserole
Green Chile' Quesadillas

Yum,Yum
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9325819

Yum, Yum is right ~ lol

Odd to see this thread pop up. I thought of it last night when reading through a cookbook and saw recipes for green tomato sauce and stuffed green tomatoes.

Some interesting ideas for green tomatoes here, if I ever get enough red ones, I will try some of these.
Ruth
Tabor, SD
(Zone 4b)

November 7, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9327321

Thanks, Doug
Wish I would have seen your recipe while I still had green tomatoes. It sounds really good. I can a lot so it's right up my alley. Makes me hungry!!! ;)
I'll write it down and save it for next year. Do you have a recipe book that you get the other green tomato recipes from or do you concoct your own? Sounds like you have lots of good recipes.
So have you just seen the name of my town on DG or do you know someone from our part of the boonies??? ;)
DougBert
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9328489

I apologize for being about a month too late for the green tomato rush. Guess I was too busy with the preservation of the greenies. Ruth, I was born in SD and you might say I concoct. I have been engineering a cook book for more than ten years. Wonder if it will ever be finished??? If I weren’t an engineer I’d be a chef.

*Concoction with the green tomato salsa*

Chicken Relleno Casserole
4 Chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
1 Pint Green tomato salsa, divided
1/2 Cup Onion, diced
1 lb. Mexi-mix cheese, divided
1/4 Cup Maza Harina (Corn Flour)
1/2 Cup Corn Meal
5 Eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped

Directions:
Cook the chicken breasts until the internal temperature is about 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Cool slightly and shred the chicken. I like to boil the chicken for 15 to 20 minutes in water with a cup of red tomato salsa imparting a lovely flavor. But hey, fry them with a little olive oil on med-high heat for about 10 minutes on each side works fine too. Remember 165 degrees Fahrenheit is the target.

In a mixer combine half of the green tomato salsa, onion, maza harina, cornmeal, eggs, cilantro, and milk.

Place the shredded chicken and in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Scatter half of the cheese over the chicken. Pour the combined ingredients over the chicken and cheese. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes until the casserole becomes set.

Serve with the other half of the green tomato salsa, sour cream and some chopped cilantro.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9333809

I made your salsa with the last of my tomatoes the other day. Mostly green and a few just on the verge of ripening. Delicious! It's a keeper for sure. I used it in a chicken and rice bake dish and we loved it. Your Chicken Relleno Casserole sounds delightful, too. Will try it for sure.
Sue

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America