Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Please ID this bush

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 103
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LMBenson

October 2, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9294184

I live in Williston, ND. This is a plant that thrived in sunlight on the south side of my home. I moved it to a shady spot and it still grew, but didn't seem as hardy. I have included several photographs: The bush, an upper branch, lower branches, a blossom on the bush that is about done blooming with leaves above it, and another of a blossom that fell off the bush. The blossoms have an unpleasant odor. Right now, the plant is about 4 feet tall and because it did not thrive well in the shade it isn't as full as it was when it was in the sun. I would appreciate it if anyone can identify this plant.

Thumbnail by LMBenson   Thumbnail by LMBenson   Thumbnail by LMBenson   Thumbnail by LMBenson   Thumbnail by LMBenson
Click an image for an enlarged view.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9294196

Definitely an Euonymus. I think it might be Euonymus americanus 'Narrow Leaf'
http://www.esveld.nl/htmldiaen/e/euanle.php
http://www.camforest.com/Euonymus_americanus_Narrow_Leaf_p/ts-euonanl3qt.htm
If it turns out this is the plant, plantfiles doesn't seem to have it listed yet. It'd be great to have your images added.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9294225

growin - I think you're right. My first thought at seeing the fruits was Euonymus americanus (and the stems are consistent with Euonymus spp. as well). But the foliage didn't look right. However the cultivar mutation explains the atypical foliage. LMBenson - In the SE US, E. americanus is usually found as an understory plant beneath hardwoods in partial shade or at the edge of a forest in partial sun. But at the extreme northern end of its range in ND it probably needs the extra sun to build up reserves to survive the long, cold winter.
LMBenson

October 2, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9294275

growin and TomH3787-- The leaves of the plant pictured at the second website listed above are not the same as the leaves on my bush. The blossom on my plant is different than the blossom pictured at the Website listed as well. The blossoms on my plant have a fairly smooth outer surface while the blossoms of the Euonymus americanus have spike-like features all over the outside. Also, the number of fruit in each blossom on my plant usually numbers about 2, maybe three, while those shown at the URL seem to have way more fruits than that.

Thank you for your efforts, but I'm not sure my plant is a Eunymus americanus. Could there be so much mutation that the aforementioned differences would occur on the Eunymus americanus?

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9294324

I'm in LMBenson's camp - NOT Euonymus americanus at all.

Could be another spindle, and I'm betting an introduced one of very hardy (maybe Asian) origin.

As noted by our good friend from ND, the illustrated plant has a very smooth capsule (this is not the blossom, but rather the structure that contains the seed that is released to hang down after it splits open). Euonymus americanus will always have a warty capsule - and the internet image links (as well as my own personal experience with this species) bears that out.
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

October 2, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9294326

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/79675/ Looks a lot like my bush. Turkestan Burning Bush, 'Turkestanica' Euonymus nana

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2012
10:35 PM

Post #9294329

Indeed.
LMBenson

October 6, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9297930

echoes--Thank you!!! My plant is the same as yours--a Turkestan Burning Bush. I appreciate you help.
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

October 6, 2012
10:25 PM

Post #9298136

You're very welcome.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America