Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

THE COCONUT WIRELESS - CHAT THREAD 4.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi, everyone.

Here we are in a brand-new chat thread. Make yourselves at home. Sit back, kick off your shoes and feel free to just be yourselves.

We came from:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1262494/#new

Enjoy and take care.
Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Sylvain. You're a doll. Glad you are getting better.

mulege, Mexico

Darn, just lost my second post of the morning. Maybe I'm supposed to be doing something else.

Jeanne, wishing you and yours a swift recovery.

Belle, I'm still in a lot of pain with my knee. I did so well at first that I think I got overconfident. The last couple of weeks have been hard and I finally took "down time" for a few days. I'm still taking a lot of painkillers. But if I kill the pain too well, I overdo again. Glad you are able to drive; it makes a huge difference. Take care and we'll recover together at whatever pace it takes, OK? It's hard for you but I'm glad to know I have company.

Glad to know we are all getting better, even if it's not fast enough to suit us.

hugs, katie

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Mike's knee replacement was on Sept. 28. Think he went a little overboard for awhile. He has gone back to the stronger pain meds and sleeps every afternoon. He has driven a couple of times, short distances, but is not as anxious to drive as he was at first.

My area of physical discontent has always been lower lumbar. Four years since fusion and as I keep adding birthdays I am less able to ignore the fact that I "ain't" what I used to be. How does that song go.....Old grey mare she ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be.......etc.,etc.,etc.

Virginia Beach, VA

Jeanne,
How are you doing? taking it easy I hope. Take naps.

Katie,
It is awful and I complain of pain too much!!! I take ibuprofen in the morning and dinner time and tylenol at lunch time which helps some.

Yes driving does lifted my spirits but I do not go far because I use my heavy boot when i go out and my therapist told me that i will be using it till Nov.

Take care and hugs!!

Belle

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Everyone! Hope everyone is recooperating!

I have been catching up on my sleep.

We did go out today to pay bills and to eat and it about wore me out, but I will rest tomorrow.

It will take awhile to get caught up on my rest; there was very little of it in the hospital. None the first 24 hrs, and only a few hours the 2nd 24 hours.

I can rest now that I am home.

Thanks for your prayers,
Jeanne

mulege, Mexico

Belle - You might ask for a stronger pain killer so you get some breaks from the bad pain. Also, Benadryl can help you too sleep if that's a problem. katie

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Turns out that Mike was allergic to Hydrocodone. Broke out all over in whelps and itched something terrible. Back to the Ibuphrofen and Benydryl for the hives.

Hi.

I am excited to report that I have received a brand-new water lily from a gardener in New Jersey who must empty her pond before it freezes over solid. I love water lilies, but Iam not all that lucky with them. I have one that only produced 1 bloom last year. It produces leaves, but precious little else. What can I say... I keep them in water, in full sun, fertilized and nothing happens. I hope this one fares better.

I worked all day yesterday and in the process, drained myself of all the energy I had. I came home completely pooped out, had dinner and fell asleep shortly after dinner. I stayed put today, hoping that tomorrow will be better. Getting old is not for sissies.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Tell me about it, Younster!!!!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha everyone,

I am so glad to hear that almost everyone is getting better - what a summer it's been! I hope that all is going well for you, Jeanne, Katie and Belle, and that you get well soon.

Nothing much going on here - we are waiting for the influx of winter visitors who will be coming soon to escape the cooler temps that I see are just starting to hit the mainland now. Did you ever get enough rain to help aleviate the drought conditions that were hitting the mid west / texas? I understand that some folks are saying that it is going to be a hard winter this year - farmers almanac or something.

Weather here is cooling off a little and the garden looks so much better for it, we are still hoping for rain though - it does the garden so much better than the watering system - must be the ozone or something...

The starfruit crop is finally just about over - thank goodness - and the avocado and orange trees are loaded and starting to ripen. It's very easy to get rid of those crops as everyone at work is thrilled to get them, all the Canadian visitors tell me how much they cost in Canada and they are not even very good when they do splurge out for them.

All the brugs, hibiscus, plumeria and ginger are starting to flower madly now that the sun is a little less intense - I wish you could all smell how wonderful the white ginger patch is - I wish they could make perfume that smelt anything like the real thing.

Love to all, keep up the good healing!

Jenn

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Jenn, did you go back to work?

Virginia Beach, VA

Good morning everyone,
Jeanne,

Please take it easy and with a good nourishment you should get your strength back. Thinking of you.

Katie,
My PT told me that I will have pain for a long time because of the location of the fracture and the hardware. She did a lot of stretching last Thursday which neccesitated sp a potent pain killer.

My husband thinks that I should be able to putt for few minutes but my PT told me absolutely not!!!

Been thinking of you.

Jenn,
Thank you for thinking of us and I wish I can have some of those fruits.

Have a good weekend!!!

Belle

Aloha, my cyber-ohana.

Jenn, starfruit are definitely a novelty in Canada. Plus, they cost an arm and a leg and yes, they are not very good eatin', either. When I first tasted a starfruit in Florida, I couldn't believe we were eating the same fruit, only sun-ripened.

We have a huge mango tree across the street, which my neighbor defends against attacks from the landscaping crew. These guys eat the mangos green, with a pinch of salt. I tried it, but that's not the way to go for me. Anyhow, come mango season, she brings big bags of mangos and leaves them on our outside table. Mangos go for $3.00 each or more in Canada. Imagine how luxurious it felt to be overrun with mangos. We froze the peeled, seeded fruit. We used the frozen fruit to make mango upside down cake. It's sad mango season comes and goes so quickly, but I still have plenty of frozen mango in the freezer to impress our Canadian dinner guests.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

So glad you are doing better, Pu'ole.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Everyone!

I am still very weak. My hemoglobin is UP to 10.7 so that is good. It will just take time to get my strength back.
I have to go do the capsule endoscopy on the 23rd.

Last time this happened in 2009 it took several months to get my strength back. With the fibro all of the stress just takes a toll on my body. I just have to be patient.

Please keep me in your prayers!
Jeanne

mulege, Mexico

I'm going through much the same thing and am also having trouble being patient so don't feel like you are alone. I have my exercise bicycle set up where I can watch YouTube or other stuff on the puter while I peddle. My right shoulder which was frozen for at least six months still gets sore easily. I am so grateful that it's no longer frozen that it's hard for me to admit that I still have to baby it.

Last night I killed a small snake in my living room. Add that to scorpions as things I really don't like having in my house.

Chime in. Belle, we know you're out there.

hugs, katie

Virginia Beach, VA

Jeanne,
It will take time to get energy back. I am glad you are having more test .

we are praying for you.

Katie,
I am glad you are getting better and hope your pain is not that bad.
I hate complaining all the time but i am in constant pain. I do not like to take narcotics for pain because it affect my memory.
I have a 1+ edema on my affected leg so I have jobes stocking on it. I hope this helps.
we are going to Las vegas for my College reunion and we were supposed to play golf 3 times but now DH will be the only one playing.
I am now driving which is good!!!

Hugs and best regards ,

Belle

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

A great morning to garden! Cooler temps and a lovely breeze! I'm still trying to figure out where to put my ground orchids and where to place the MASSIVE pot I got for the agapanthus! The Hawaiian sunset vine got a severe pruning as did the Tahitian gardenia!
Went to a "Garden Club" meeting with a friend this past Monday. Wow--three hours of meeting and one half hour of pictures of sanseveria -- To each their own! I'd rather play in the dirt!
Vandas are still happy and blooming, maybe with the cool weather starting to come in, all the plants will be happy. SOme of the Meyer lemons are getting ripe-That's early!
Only one snakeskin--and it was in the fountain at the front door that I'm going to move to the side door!
Debi

mulege, Mexico

Like you, Belle, I hate complaining but if I pretend I'm not in pain I usually pay a greater price.

I've been working on my exercise bike. Walmart has it online for about $100 and it had better ratings than the one in their store so I ordered it. I like it cause I can work on it without upsetting my right shoulder which is still recovering from being frozen. My knee is improving all the time. Much less pain as I keep working on the bike.

Killed a fairly large scorpion in my living room last night. Showed it to Tony this morning and he was impressed.

Three dragonfruit plantshave buds on them. I'm getting a little work done on the front garden. Not much. I think I might have a kidney infection. I know I've very little energy

Neighbors Dana and Tom may be back from their summer in Washington state by the end of next week,

There is another possible hurricane on the horizon.

hugs, katie

Virginia Beach, VA

Hello everyone!!

Good morning. Been up since 4 am Las Vegas time, downed 2 cups of coffee already and checking my mail in the Lobby because it costs $10.00 per day when done on the room. I refuse to pay that!! LOL!!!

Plane ride was not bad, had a pre boarding pass which enabled me to get the front seat on Southwest. I was able to remove my boot and took a heavy pain killer. Atlanta to Vegas was 4.5 hours. Our check in luggage was checked / opened and they helped themselves with my Shalimar perfume. It is DH favorite!! I am glad I brought the lotion. I hope whoever took it will use it !! LOL!!!

Went with DH on the ist golf outing and he played with 3 gentlemen from NYC. Took again a heavy pain pill so I was able to check the game. Joining Dh again today as a passenger,. they charge $22.00 to ride!!

My College class mates arrives tomorrow afternoon. We are suppose to watch a show this PM after the golf.

Our accommodation has 3 pools and a hot tub. We had been using the hot tub every night.

Jeanne,
How are you doing? Take it easy and pretty soon you will have all your energy.

Katie,
Scorpions??? I had not seen a real one.
i hope you are doing well and pain is subsiding.

Have a good day to all!!!!

Belle

mulege, Mexico

Have a great time, Belle.

Hurricane Paul is headed our way. The rain started about an hour ago. Tony prepped things yeaterday and got me stocked up on groceries. He won't be here today because the rain has started. It was supposed to wait until Wednesday but we know not to trust a hurricane so we got ready. He can stay with his family until it's over.

Sandbags are in place and the rain is fairly gentle now. Sounds nice on my tin roof. As soon as I got out of bed, Jennybear took my place with her head on my pillow.

hugs, katie

Hi, everyone.

I got up at 5AM this morning, moved my reading material outside and made expresso on the BBQ's gas burner. Iread until daybreak and decided I needed to play with my pet snake. Right now, she is getting rambonxious. She wants to climb in my floor lamp, she has removed my reading glasses a couple times and she slithered across my keyboard a few times. Gotta love the baby! When I finish typing this post, I'll put her back into her vivarium until tonight, where I'll get myself another dose of snakey loving. The keys to owning a good snake: choose a docile species (ball python) and lots of handling and loving.

My energy is returning gradually. I find myself starting various projects, which I complete (or not) at my own pace, remembering that I can rest when I'm tired, or when energy is suddenly depleted.

Today is fertilizing day around here. Everything will get a good dose of Miracle Gro, like it or not. I use it on everything I grow, including orchids and desert roses (adeniums). A week from now, the orchids will get a shot of orchid bloom booster. The desert roses also like a good shot of orchid bloom booster. I don't use Miracle Gro for the lotus and the alocasias because I have pond tablets for that.

Aloha!
Pu'ole. a.k.a. Sylvain.

mulege, Mexico

We got about sixteen hours of rain, lost power and internet for about sixteen hours but Paul has moved on and we are all fine.

Tony stayed home yesterday. I think a few people got through but we had prepped well so he knew I would be OK and he could stay with his family. I am ridiculously pleased with both of us.

I'm hoping he'll be here today. There is a tree down in the new garden and my merremia lost all its leaves. Otherwise all is well.

hugs, katie

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you so much for everyone's kind words.

I had started feeling worse, but held out because I had a Cardiologist appt on the 16th. I got ready to go and all of a sudden felt weak, dizzy like I was going to pass out again, so I called cancelled the appt. He said to contact my primary care. I did. They said to go to ER.
So I did. They immediately tested my hemoglobin and it was 7.2 so they put me back in the hospital and transfused in four more units of blood, (now totalling 9 units in less than one month), infused in three units of iron and unknown number (I did not count) of antibiotics.

We changed primary care doctors two days after being admitted because my old pc did not admit.......they contract all hospital visits out which seems a bit unrealistic, since their office is directly next door to the wing I was on. My new Dr. is terrific. He was Mother's doctor for many many years. My daughter called him and he accepted my case and came over immediately!! He is fantastic! He would come visit two times a day some days. And his office is not next door.....at least a couple of miles down the road.

He called in a Hematologist. She was very very nice. They did a bone marrow test which was normal......no leukemia or cancer! A very lengthy Cat Scan......everything.....OK., Extended Endoscopy, again, everything OK. Every blood test known to man.......everything OK! But no answer to why I am still losing blood. I have to swallow the capsule camera next week asap when I can get an appt.

I feel like a human pin cushion. They drew blood individually each time to run tests. My veins kept blowing out with each IV, so they had to keep moving them. Several infiltrated in my right arm, so I had to keep a heating blanket on it.

My blood count (hemoglobin) was 9.6 for three days, and 10.2 today, so I was able to come home finally. I have to see my new primary care on Monday and he will do labs again, at least twice a weak.

Note: I was treated like Royalty at our local hospital. The staff could not have been nicer. Everyone was fantastic, very friendly, compassionate, quick to answer calls, answer questions, just super, not one bad experience the whole week........except for the feeling like a human pin cushion.

Guess this is all of the news. Hope everyone is well.

Please pray the bleeding stops. I have given up on "finding it".

Thanks,

Jeanne

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

So sorry, Jeanne. Praying they will find the cause so they can "fix it".

Virginia Beach, VA

Hello Jeanne,
I am sorry to hear about your recent admission. Something is causing the drop of your H/H.Jeanne we are praying that they give you a diagnosis.

We are now in Alabama to help celebrate our G-sons 3rd B-day. Our daughter is overdoing it, there are 16 entrees. It will be very hectic because there are 40 guests which include 12 children.

they have a big deck and no mosquitoes here so I hope the weather cooperates.I will be doing most of the cooking with 4 assistants. We are using nice paper plates but the flat wares are the real ones.

My foot is slowly getting better, took mobic this morning which helped the pain.

Jeanne, thinking of you a lot!!!

Belle

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks! I go to swallow the capsule camera on the 1st due to having had the iron infusions.

Thanks for your prayers!

Jeanne

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

A friend of mine also had trouble with losing blood and not knowing the cause or location in her body. I will ask her next time I see her if they ever found out what her problem was. Maybe it will be of some help for you.

I hope the little camera captures the problem so you can get it fixed!!!

mulege, Mexico

Prayers going out for you Jeanne. Keep posting and get lots of hugs. katie

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Katie!

Pepper, that would be sincerely appreciated! Let me know. Thanks!

Jeanne

Hi, everyone.

Not much new here to report in way of gardening.

I have an oncidium orchid blooming (picture attached) right now. While I was in the hospital, and throughout my recovery, acalypha infernos took advantage of the fact that I wasn't around to tend them. They had grown to obtruct 3 windows in our house. What good is a sun room when you can hardly see outside? It defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

When I got to them with my trimmers, I found out that the blade was blunt. One of the principles I sincerely belive: nothing in a kitchen is more dangerous than a blunt knife. I always keep my knifes' blades razor-sharp and people are warned about that stuff if they remove one of my kitchen knives from the magnet where they are stored vertically against the wall. So, it's sharp blades for me, or nothing. I did a Google search on sharpening garden shears. I found a YouTube video (4minutes) where a guy shows how to sharpen those, and loppers.

I had a pair of blunt loppers that I never used because of their lack of an edge. Chucking them was on my to-do list. What good is long handles and leverage action if there's no edge? The video lasts 4 minutes, but it turns out the actual sharpening only takes 30 seconds. So, I got out my file, my diamond stone and to sharpen, I endeavored. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Keep your fingers away from those blades. The task was an unmitigated success.

When I got to trimming, I found that I could cut acalypha stems up to 1 inch in diameter in one neat cut. Now, the acalypha infernos are down to size but I know them. As I type these lines,they have already started growing new stems again. Gotta love them.

Take care, all.
Sylvain., a.k.a. Pu'ole.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Everyone,

Jeanne - so sorry to hear of your troubles, my thoughts are with you and I hope the doctors find out what is going on SOON!

Belle, I am glad to hear that your foot is getting better although it is at a slow pace - it sounds as if you had fun in LV.

Nothing much going on here. The winter visitors are starting to trickle in so the streets and stores are getting busier - you have to get to Safeways by 8am at the latest to buy a doughnut before they are all gone!

Our other winter visitors (the whales) are about to come in - 2 have been sighted already in our channel waters. We look forward to their arrival every year and I never get tired of watching for them as we look out to sea.

We had a tsunami warning a couple of days ago (this is the third in two and a half years) luckily it amounted to a five foot wave in Kahalui harbor and there was no damage reported. People are still taking the warnings seriously even after three non events, and my neighborhood was full of people in cars waiting it out. I am at about 400 feet above sea level so we are a safe haven for all the folks in Kihei which is in the flood zone. We had a house full!

I am going to try to find the you tube video that you watched Pu'ole because my lopers and shears are so blunt that I have to clench my jaws in order to make them cut - it seems to help somehow!

The avocado and citrus are just starting to ripen up now and we just had three hands of bananas to deal with all at the same time. Our hands weigh roughly 50 60 lbs each - its a lot of fruit! This week I hate even the smell of a banana...all taken care of now between friends, the dehydrator and banana bread, but there are a couple more that are begining to look suspiciously rounded and have a yellowish look to them down in the garden! With bananas its always feast or famine...

The mango trees are still dropping leaves - too bad they don't all drop at once, it would be so much easier than having to go over the same ground day by day! I am on a first name basis with the guys down at the green waste yard. Onward and upward...I will win the war in the end!

Love to all,

Jenn

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Jenn, Saw on the news about someone getting bit by a shark. Amywhere near where Frank swims?

Oh, I am such an airhead. If you stick your ear close to one of my ears, you could hear the wind whistling between my 2 ears. There used to a brain in there. I meant to include a link to that pruning shear sharpening video. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naqy9SCQcZU

I love the picture. Water is was always very attractive for me. I can watch the waves for hours on end and like snowflakes, there are never 2 waves exactly the same.

About sharks... Florida just so happens to be the nation's shark bite capital; not an enviable reputation,if you ask me. A wise old taxi driver in Aruba told me: If there's salt water, there may very well be sharks in there. That's where they live, ya know. And then he started to laugh like he had just told the world's funniest joke. His laugh was contagious and I laughed too. I liked that guy. Almost every day, the local TV station in West Palm Beach will have its traffic helicopter swing over the beach and show us sharks swimming 30 feet away from oblivious beachgoers. But give me a set of fins and a mask and I'll be in the water before anyone else, jumping over the side of the boat to get there quicker. Water truly is my element. Sharks bite, and so do I. If one of them attacks me, I may not survive, but it will be an epic fight before I turn into chum.

Take care, all.

Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Sylvain. I, too, am tired of throwing away a perfectly good tool because it has become dull.

Thanking God tonight that "Sandy" is gone and relatively few lives lost. Of course, were it one of my loved ones....well, you know how that would be. But, goodness, the devastation. Don't believe I have what it takes to clean it up and start over. Praying that God's Grace cover our nation tonight.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

We have a good report today, my blood was 11.1! So it is holding!

Thanks for your prayers!

mulege, Mexico

Good news, Jeanne.

That was scarey.

hugs, katie

Great going, Jeanne. I can use good news any time anyone has some. These are troubled times! Every glimmer of hope helps.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

God is good EVERYDAY!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.