Photo by Melody

Tropical Zone Gardening: THE COCONUT WIRELESS - CHAT THREAD 4.

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 207, Views: 1,725
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 3, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9294406

Hi, everyone.

Here we are in a brand-new chat thread. Make yourselves at home. Sit back, kick off your shoes and feel free to just be yourselves.

We came from:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1262494/#new

Enjoy and take care.
Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 3, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9294487

Thanks, Sylvain. You're a doll. Glad you are getting better.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 3, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9294517

Darn, just lost my second post of the morning. Maybe I'm supposed to be doing something else.

Jeanne, wishing you and yours a swift recovery.

Belle, I'm still in a lot of pain with my knee. I did so well at first that I think I got overconfident. The last couple of weeks have been hard and I finally took "down time" for a few days. I'm still taking a lot of painkillers. But if I kill the pain too well, I overdo again. Glad you are able to drive; it makes a huge difference. Take care and we'll recover together at whatever pace it takes, OK? It's hard for you but I'm glad to know I have company.

Glad to know we are all getting better, even if it's not fast enough to suit us.

hugs, katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9294641

Mike's knee replacement was on Sept. 28. Think he went a little overboard for awhile. He has gone back to the stronger pain meds and sleeps every afternoon. He has driven a couple of times, short distances, but is not as anxious to drive as he was at first.

My area of physical discontent has always been lower lumbar. Four years since fusion and as I keep adding birthdays I am less able to ignore the fact that I "ain't" what I used to be. How does that song go...Old grey mare she ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be...etc.,etc.,etc.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 3, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9295060

Jeanne,
How are you doing? taking it easy I hope. Take naps.

Katie,
It is awful and I complain of pain too much!!! I take ibuprofen in the morning and dinner time and tylenol at lunch time which helps some.

Yes driving does lifted my spirits but I do not go far because I use my heavy boot when i go out and my therapist told me that i will be using it till Nov.

Take care and hugs!!

Belle
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9295083

Hi Everyone! Hope everyone is recooperating!

I have been catching up on my sleep.

We did go out today to pay bills and to eat and it about wore me out, but I will rest tomorrow.

It will take awhile to get caught up on my rest; there was very little of it in the hospital. None the first 24 hrs, and only a few hours the 2nd 24 hours.

I can rest now that I am home.

Thanks for your prayers,
Jeanne
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 3, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9295087

Belle - You might ask for a stronger pain killer so you get some breaks from the bad pain. Also, Benadryl can help you too sleep if that's a problem. katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9295151

Turns out that Mike was allergic to Hydrocodone. Broke out all over in whelps and itched something terrible. Back to the Ibuphrofen and Benydryl for the hives.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9295910

Hi.

I am excited to report that I have received a brand-new water lily from a gardener in New Jersey who must empty her pond before it freezes over solid. I love water lilies, but Iam not all that lucky with them. I have one that only produced 1 bloom last year. It produces leaves, but precious little else. What can I say... I keep them in water, in full sun, fertilized and nothing happens. I hope this one fares better.

I worked all day yesterday and in the process, drained myself of all the energy I had. I came home completely pooped out, had dinner and fell asleep shortly after dinner. I stayed put today, hoping that tomorrow will be better. Getting old is not for sissies.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 5, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9296400

Tell me about it, Younster!!!!
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9296547

Aloha everyone,

I am so glad to hear that almost everyone is getting better - what a summer it's been! I hope that all is going well for you, Jeanne, Katie and Belle, and that you get well soon.

Nothing much going on here - we are waiting for the influx of winter visitors who will be coming soon to escape the cooler temps that I see are just starting to hit the mainland now. Did you ever get enough rain to help aleviate the drought conditions that were hitting the mid west / texas? I understand that some folks are saying that it is going to be a hard winter this year - farmers almanac or something.

Weather here is cooling off a little and the garden looks so much better for it, we are still hoping for rain though - it does the garden so much better than the watering system - must be the ozone or something...

The starfruit crop is finally just about over - thank goodness - and the avocado and orange trees are loaded and starting to ripen. It's very easy to get rid of those crops as everyone at work is thrilled to get them, all the Canadian visitors tell me how much they cost in Canada and they are not even very good when they do splurge out for them.

All the brugs, hibiscus, plumeria and ginger are starting to flower madly now that the sun is a little less intense - I wish you could all smell how wonderful the white ginger patch is - I wish they could make perfume that smelt anything like the real thing.

Love to all, keep up the good healing!

Jenn
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9296552

Jenn, did you go back to work?
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 6, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9297227

Good morning everyone,
Jeanne,

Please take it easy and with a good nourishment you should get your strength back. Thinking of you.

Katie,
My PT told me that I will have pain for a long time because of the location of the fracture and the hardware. She did a lot of stretching last Thursday which neccesitated sp a potent pain killer.

My husband thinks that I should be able to putt for few minutes but my PT told me absolutely not!!!

Been thinking of you.

Jenn,
Thank you for thinking of us and I wish I can have some of those fruits.

Have a good weekend!!!

Belle

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 6, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9297419

Aloha, my cyber-ohana.

Jenn, starfruit are definitely a novelty in Canada. Plus, they cost an arm and a leg and yes, they are not very good eatin', either. When I first tasted a starfruit in Florida, I couldn't believe we were eating the same fruit, only sun-ripened.

We have a huge mango tree across the street, which my neighbor defends against attacks from the landscaping crew. These guys eat the mangos green, with a pinch of salt. I tried it, but that's not the way to go for me. Anyhow, come mango season, she brings big bags of mangos and leaves them on our outside table. Mangos go for $3.00 each or more in Canada. Imagine how luxurious it felt to be overrun with mangos. We froze the peeled, seeded fruit. We used the frozen fruit to make mango upside down cake. It's sad mango season comes and goes so quickly, but I still have plenty of frozen mango in the freezer to impress our Canadian dinner guests.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9297591

So glad you are doing better, Pu'ole.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9303265

Hi Everyone!

I am still very weak. My hemoglobin is UP to 10.7 so that is good. It will just take time to get my strength back.
I have to go do the capsule endoscopy on the 23rd.

Last time this happened in 2009 it took several months to get my strength back. With the fibro all of the stress just takes a toll on my body. I just have to be patient.

Please keep me in your prayers!
Jeanne
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 12, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9303281

I'm going through much the same thing and am also having trouble being patient so don't feel like you are alone. I have my exercise bicycle set up where I can watch YouTube or other stuff on the puter while I peddle. My right shoulder which was frozen for at least six months still gets sore easily. I am so grateful that it's no longer frozen that it's hard for me to admit that I still have to baby it.

Last night I killed a small snake in my living room. Add that to scorpions as things I really don't like having in my house.

Chime in. Belle, we know you're out there.

hugs, katie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 12, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9303420

Jeanne,
It will take time to get energy back. I am glad you are having more test .

we are praying for you.

Katie,
I am glad you are getting better and hope your pain is not that bad.
I hate complaining all the time but i am in constant pain. I do not like to take narcotics for pain because it affect my memory.
I have a 1+ edema on my affected leg so I have jobes stocking on it. I hope this helps.
we are going to Las vegas for my College reunion and we were supposed to play golf 3 times but now DH will be the only one playing.
I am now driving which is good!!!

Hugs and best regards ,

Belle

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 13, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9303959

A great morning to garden! Cooler temps and a lovely breeze! I'm still trying to figure out where to put my ground orchids and where to place the MASSIVE pot I got for the agapanthus! The Hawaiian sunset vine got a severe pruning as did the Tahitian gardenia!
Went to a "Garden Club" meeting with a friend this past Monday. Wow--three hours of meeting and one half hour of pictures of sanseveria -- To each their own! I'd rather play in the dirt!
Vandas are still happy and blooming, maybe with the cool weather starting to come in, all the plants will be happy. SOme of the Meyer lemons are getting ripe-That's early!
Only one snakeskin--and it was in the fountain at the front door that I'm going to move to the side door!
Debi
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 13, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9303978

Like you, Belle, I hate complaining but if I pretend I'm not in pain I usually pay a greater price.

I've been working on my exercise bike. Walmart has it online for about $100 and it had better ratings than the one in their store so I ordered it. I like it cause I can work on it without upsetting my right shoulder which is still recovering from being frozen. My knee is improving all the time. Much less pain as I keep working on the bike.

Killed a fairly large scorpion in my living room last night. Showed it to Tony this morning and he was impressed.

Three dragonfruit plantshave buds on them. I'm getting a little work done on the front garden. Not much. I think I might have a kidney infection. I know I've very little energy

Neighbors Dana and Tom may be back from their summer in Washington state by the end of next week,

There is another possible hurricane on the horizon.

hugs, katie
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 16, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9306800

Hello everyone!!

Good morning. Been up since 4 am Las Vegas time, downed 2 cups of coffee already and checking my mail in the Lobby because it costs $10.00 per day when done on the room. I refuse to pay that!! LOL!!!

Plane ride was not bad, had a pre boarding pass which enabled me to get the front seat on Southwest. I was able to remove my boot and took a heavy pain killer. Atlanta to Vegas was 4.5 hours. Our check in luggage was checked / opened and they helped themselves with my Shalimar perfume. It is DH favorite!! I am glad I brought the lotion. I hope whoever took it will use it !! LOL!!!

Went with DH on the ist golf outing and he played with 3 gentlemen from NYC. Took again a heavy pain pill so I was able to check the game. Joining Dh again today as a passenger,. they charge $22.00 to ride!!

My College class mates arrives tomorrow afternoon. We are suppose to watch a show this PM after the golf.

Our accommodation has 3 pools and a hot tub. We had been using the hot tub every night.

Jeanne,
How are you doing? Take it easy and pretty soon you will have all your energy.

Katie,
Scorpions??? I had not seen a real one.
i hope you are doing well and pain is subsiding.

Have a good day to all!!!!

Belle
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 16, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9306825

Have a great time, Belle.

Hurricane Paul is headed our way. The rain started about an hour ago. Tony prepped things yeaterday and got me stocked up on groceries. He won't be here today because the rain has started. It was supposed to wait until Wednesday but we know not to trust a hurricane so we got ready. He can stay with his family until it's over.

Sandbags are in place and the rain is fairly gentle now. Sounds nice on my tin roof. As soon as I got out of bed, Jennybear took my place with her head on my pillow.

hugs, katie

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9308664

Hi, everyone.

I got up at 5AM this morning, moved my reading material outside and made expresso on the BBQ's gas burner. Iread until daybreak and decided I needed to play with my pet snake. Right now, she is getting rambonxious. She wants to climb in my floor lamp, she has removed my reading glasses a couple times and she slithered across my keyboard a few times. Gotta love the baby! When I finish typing this post, I'll put her back into her vivarium until tonight, where I'll get myself another dose of snakey loving. The keys to owning a good snake: choose a docile species (ball python) and lots of handling and loving.

My energy is returning gradually. I find myself starting various projects, which I complete (or not) at my own pace, remembering that I can rest when I'm tired, or when energy is suddenly depleted.

Today is fertilizing day around here. Everything will get a good dose of Miracle Gro, like it or not. I use it on everything I grow, including orchids and desert roses (adeniums). A week from now, the orchids will get a shot of orchid bloom booster. The desert roses also like a good shot of orchid bloom booster. I don't use Miracle Gro for the lotus and the alocasias because I have pond tablets for that.

Aloha!
Pu'ole. a.k.a. Sylvain.

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 18, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9308711

We got about sixteen hours of rain, lost power and internet for about sixteen hours but Paul has moved on and we are all fine.

Tony stayed home yesterday. I think a few people got through but we had prepped well so he knew I would be OK and he could stay with his family. I am ridiculously pleased with both of us.

I'm hoping he'll be here today. There is a tree down in the new garden and my merremia lost all its leaves. Otherwise all is well.

hugs, katie
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9315620

Thank you so much for everyone's kind words.

I had started feeling worse, but held out because I had a Cardiologist appt on the 16th. I got ready to go and all of a sudden felt weak, dizzy like I was going to pass out again, so I called cancelled the appt. He said to contact my primary care. I did. They said to go to ER.
So I did. They immediately tested my hemoglobin and it was 7.2 so they put me back in the hospital and transfused in four more units of blood, (now totalling 9 units in less than one month), infused in three units of iron and unknown number (I did not count) of antibiotics.

We changed primary care doctors two days after being admitted because my old pc did not admit...they contract all hospital visits out which seems a bit unrealistic, since their office is directly next door to the wing I was on. My new Dr. is terrific. He was Mother's doctor for many many years. My daughter called him and he accepted my case and came over immediately!! He is fantastic! He would come visit two times a day some days. And his office is not next door...at least a couple of miles down the road.

He called in a Hematologist. She was very very nice. They did a bone marrow test which was normal...no leukemia or cancer! A very lengthy Cat Scan...everything...OK., Extended Endoscopy, again, everything OK. Every blood test known to man...everything OK! But no answer to why I am still losing blood. I have to swallow the capsule camera next week asap when I can get an appt.

I feel like a human pin cushion. They drew blood individually each time to run tests. My veins kept blowing out with each IV, so they had to keep moving them. Several infiltrated in my right arm, so I had to keep a heating blanket on it.

My blood count (hemoglobin) was 9.6 for three days, and 10.2 today, so I was able to come home finally. I have to see my new primary care on Monday and he will do labs again, at least twice a weak.

Note: I was treated like Royalty at our local hospital. The staff could not have been nicer. Everyone was fantastic, very friendly, compassionate, quick to answer calls, answer questions, just super, not one bad experience the whole week...except for the feeling like a human pin cushion.

Guess this is all of the news. Hope everyone is well.

Please pray the bleeding stops. I have given up on "finding it".

Thanks,

Jeanne
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9315960

So sorry, Jeanne. Praying they will find the cause so they can "fix it".
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 26, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9316230

Hello Jeanne,
I am sorry to hear about your recent admission. Something is causing the drop of your H/H.Jeanne we are praying that they give you a diagnosis.

We are now in Alabama to help celebrate our G-sons 3rd B-day. Our daughter is overdoing it, there are 16 entrees. It will be very hectic because there are 40 guests which include 12 children.

they have a big deck and no mosquitoes here so I hope the weather cooperates.I will be doing most of the cooking with 4 assistants. We are using nice paper plates but the flat wares are the real ones.

My foot is slowly getting better, took mobic this morning which helped the pain.

Jeanne, thinking of you a lot!!!

Belle
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9316322

Thanks! I go to swallow the capsule camera on the 1st due to having had the iron infusions.

Thanks for your prayers!

Jeanne
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9316428

A friend of mine also had trouble with losing blood and not knowing the cause or location in her body. I will ask her next time I see her if they ever found out what her problem was. Maybe it will be of some help for you.

I hope the little camera captures the problem so you can get it fixed!!!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 27, 2012
4:02 AM

Post #9316697

Prayers going out for you Jeanne. Keep posting and get lots of hugs. katie
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9317209

Thanks Katie!

Pepper, that would be sincerely appreciated! Let me know. Thanks!

Jeanne

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 29, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9318881

Hi, everyone.

Not much new here to report in way of gardening.

I have an oncidium orchid blooming (picture attached) right now. While I was in the hospital, and throughout my recovery, acalypha infernos took advantage of the fact that I wasn't around to tend them. They had grown to obtruct 3 windows in our house. What good is a sun room when you can hardly see outside? It defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

When I got to them with my trimmers, I found out that the blade was blunt. One of the principles I sincerely belive: nothing in a kitchen is more dangerous than a blunt knife. I always keep my knifes' blades razor-sharp and people are warned about that stuff if they remove one of my kitchen knives from the magnet where they are stored vertically against the wall. So, it's sharp blades for me, or nothing. I did a Google search on sharpening garden shears. I found a YouTube video (4minutes) where a guy shows how to sharpen those, and loppers.

I had a pair of blunt loppers that I never used because of their lack of an edge. Chucking them was on my to-do list. What good is long handles and leverage action if there's no edge? The video lasts 4 minutes, but it turns out the actual sharpening only takes 30 seconds. So, I got out my file, my diamond stone and to sharpen, I endeavored. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Keep your fingers away from those blades. The task was an unmitigated success.

When I got to trimming, I found that I could cut acalypha stems up to 1 inch in diameter in one neat cut. Now, the acalypha infernos are down to size but I know them. As I type these lines,they have already started growing new stems again. Gotta love them.

Take care, all.
Sylvain., a.k.a. Pu'ole.

Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9320147

Aloha Everyone,

Jeanne - so sorry to hear of your troubles, my thoughts are with you and I hope the doctors find out what is going on SOON!

Belle, I am glad to hear that your foot is getting better although it is at a slow pace - it sounds as if you had fun in LV.

Nothing much going on here. The winter visitors are starting to trickle in so the streets and stores are getting busier - you have to get to Safeways by 8am at the latest to buy a doughnut before they are all gone!

Our other winter visitors (the whales) are about to come in - 2 have been sighted already in our channel waters. We look forward to their arrival every year and I never get tired of watching for them as we look out to sea.

We had a tsunami warning a couple of days ago (this is the third in two and a half years) luckily it amounted to a five foot wave in Kahalui harbor and there was no damage reported. People are still taking the warnings seriously even after three non events, and my neighborhood was full of people in cars waiting it out. I am at about 400 feet above sea level so we are a safe haven for all the folks in Kihei which is in the flood zone. We had a house full!

I am going to try to find the you tube video that you watched Pu'ole because my lopers and shears are so blunt that I have to clench my jaws in order to make them cut - it seems to help somehow!

The avocado and citrus are just starting to ripen up now and we just had three hands of bananas to deal with all at the same time. Our hands weigh roughly 50 60 lbs each - its a lot of fruit! This week I hate even the smell of a banana...all taken care of now between friends, the dehydrator and banana bread, but there are a couple more that are begining to look suspiciously rounded and have a yellowish look to them down in the garden! With bananas its always feast or famine...

The mango trees are still dropping leaves - too bad they don't all drop at once, it would be so much easier than having to go over the same ground day by day! I am on a first name basis with the guys down at the green waste yard. Onward and upward...I will win the war in the end!

Love to all,

Jenn

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9320224

Jenn, Saw on the news about someone getting bit by a shark. Amywhere near where Frank swims?

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 30, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9320413

Oh, I am such an airhead. If you stick your ear close to one of my ears, you could hear the wind whistling between my 2 ears. There used to a brain in there. I meant to include a link to that pruning shear sharpening video. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naqy9SCQcZU

I love the picture. Water is was always very attractive for me. I can watch the waves for hours on end and like snowflakes, there are never 2 waves exactly the same.

About sharks... Florida just so happens to be the nation's shark bite capital; not an enviable reputation,if you ask me. A wise old taxi driver in Aruba told me: If there's salt water, there may very well be sharks in there. That's where they live, ya know. And then he started to laugh like he had just told the world's funniest joke. His laugh was contagious and I laughed too. I liked that guy. Almost every day, the local TV station in West Palm Beach will have its traffic helicopter swing over the beach and show us sharks swimming 30 feet away from oblivious beachgoers. But give me a set of fins and a mask and I'll be in the water before anyone else, jumping over the side of the boat to get there quicker. Water truly is my element. Sharks bite, and so do I. If one of them attacks me, I may not survive, but it will be an epic fight before I turn into chum.

Take care, all.

Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9320573

Thank you, Sylvain. I, too, am tired of throwing away a perfectly good tool because it has become dull.

Thanking God tonight that "Sandy" is gone and relatively few lives lost. Of course, were it one of my loved ones...well, you know how that would be. But, goodness, the devastation. Don't believe I have what it takes to clean it up and start over. Praying that God's Grace cover our nation tonight.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9320589

We have a good report today, my blood was 11.1! So it is holding!

Thanks for your prayers!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 30, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9320592

Good news, Jeanne.

That was scarey.

hugs, katie

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 31, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9320912

Great going, Jeanne. I can use good news any time anyone has some. These are troubled times! Every glimmer of hope helps.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9320992

God is good EVERYDAY!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9330038

Hi everyone!

I did the capsule camera week before last. They did not find anything. My blood was 11.4 this week so it is still holding. They will check it again on Monday.

I feel a little stronger than I did in Sept, so I think it will continue to hold. I am claiming healing in the name of Jesus!

Thanks for all of your prayers!

Jeanne

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 11, 2012
2:57 AM

Post #9330086

Hi, everyone.

I just love to start my day with good news. I hope your healing continues, Jeanne.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 11, 2012
3:33 AM

Post #9330092

Good morning to all,
What a good news Jeanne. So glad!!!

Belle
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

November 11, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9330168

Good news, Jeanne. My knee is doing well. Energy is up and down. I seem to sleep well every other night. Hard to adjust to.

Tony's wife. daughte, DIL and grandson visited yesterday. GS is nine months old, big for his age and very alert. I got several smiles out of him and he petted Scout, my large and very gentle dog. they thanked neighbor Dana and me for the presents - mostly clothes - we brought them from the US. I had gotten several boxes of baby clothes on eBay which they were especially happy with. Baby clothes are expensive and not well made here. I got lots of heavy duty small boy clothes so Gs is well-clothed.

My new garden is coming along. Tony and I shredded a lot of palm trees and dry seaweed this week. Great for mulch and compost. Lots of little plants are up. And I got some shelves from a grocery store. About twelve feet long and three units high. Was used for produce. The sections are the perfect size for seed-starting units. Ii've been gradually shrinking my huge seed collection.

I have a couple of sacha inca plants growing in the ground. More seeds in starter units. And several carob tree seeds (from JLHudson) have germinated. The Hawiian-type papaya that finished fruiting last month has provided us with dozens of seedling plants. I've been giving seeds and small plants to anyone who will take them. Took some to twon with broccoli and watermelon seedlings and gave them to friends. I planted the seeds just before our last tropical storm and I think every one of them germinated. Tends to be feast or famine with seeds for me. We have dozens of bean plants coming up. I love them so that's fine. And my frien Saul will happily sell any extras in his grocery store.

I'm sort of awake but have a slight headache and not much energy so it may be a lazy Sunday.

hugs, katie

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 11, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9330551

Hi, everyone.

It was definitely a lazy Sunday here. We got up later than usual. We had a lazy breakfast with a few cups of good coffee. We started watching a DVD of Snow White and the Huntsman. It was very entertaining. However, whenever we start watching a video, something happens that makes us shut it off. Without warming, my dad stopped in. He just arrived 2 days ago. He'll be here all winter. It was a wild, mad dash to find my caftan, shut off the DVD and TV. It was nice to see him, though. Once he left, we restarted the DVD. All in all, it was enjoyable, but they won't win an Oscar with that one.

I made one of Jacques Pépin's recipes yesterday:ballotine of chicken. Basically, it's a chicken (we used a turkey) that is deboned by hand before you cook it. Stuffing is heaped onto the meat, the bird is re-assembled using kitchen twine and baked. It was delicious. Tonight, it's turkey pot-pie night. I made the pastry this morning. The aromas are wafting throughout the house. It smells wonderful. The pot pies should be done in 25 minutes. We love turkey. I make one mean pot pie and killer pastry. We'll serve that with a green salad, homemade vinaigrette and a glass of white wine. It should be rather nice.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

November 12, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9330850

WOW, Sylvain, you do keep busy. Sounds delish too..

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 12, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9330874

Nancy, I haven't seen or heard of you in a while. I miss you. I could pick up the phone and say Hi, but I forget. Keep well.

Sylvain.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9331111

DH also loves to cook. Thank goodness because I don't like to cook at all. Anything with more than 5 ingredients and one pan is out. However, the first 40 years we were married I did ALL the cooking. That was when we had the kids at home and usually at least 2 of their friends with their feet under our table. Now it is just the two of us and I am easy.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

November 19, 2012
3:19 AM

Post #9336824

Happy thanksgiving Day to all!!!

Jeanne,

You okay? Take plenty of rests and naps are wonderful. It is a habit for me if I can.

Katie,
How are you doing? Time will make us pain free. i wish I can be more patient.

Sylvain,
your chicken dish sounds yummy!!!. Do you eat it with bread, potatoes or rice? How is your leg, fully healed?

Update on my ankle.
It is now 4 months and I am still in a lot of pain but it is very slow for me. It will take a whole year according to my surgeon to be pain free.I take tylenol or aleve and once in awhile a potent pain med depending on my activity. PT is still 2 times per week, a lot to work on as far as flexion on all angles!!!

Went to the golf range with DH and hit only few balls because I was afraid of pain. I am not allowed to play yet and hopefully will be ready when DH bring me to a 3 week golf vacation. I think I am too anxious. LOL!!! The first week will be in Scotchdale Arizona with other 7 couples and DH already warned some of them them that I will not be in top shape. The next 2 weeks is in Palm spring and San Diego.

Most of my ministries at Church is on hold and I will probably start in 2 weeks but will only do interviews at the food pantry. I can not do much standing because my feet gets swollen. So sorry for my complaints.

Today we are feeding 50 - 60 Vets and it is always very satisfying. Aside from the usual menu we are also serving Asian egg rolls and noodles because they requested it.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!!!
Belle

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9339260

Belle, yes, I am OK. My son in law's Mother died, so he and my daughter went to NY state to the funeral. I went out to stay with the Grandkids, 17, and 16. They really don't need a sitter, just company due to the circumstances. They got back home last night.

My blood was 12 last week, but down to 11.2 this week. I don't have to have an infusion until it gets to 9, depending on bad I am feeling. I am not taking the blood thinners, so it can't leak out as fast! haha.

They did not find anything on the pill cam test. Hopefully it will slow down bleeding or stop eventually.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! We are going out to eat, so no cleaning or cooking! Yea!

Jeanne
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9339899

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I expect by now most of you are sitting down to a scrumptious lunch while we are just putting the oven on here in Hawaii! No turkey for us this year as there are just the three of us and we decided on a rib roast and Yorkshire pudding instead - actually my favorite food of all time! Franks company had a traditional lunch for all the folks who reside in the half way houses yesterday which was thoroughly enjoyed by 40 + people, he said it was delicious.

My son in law is going to deep fry a turkey again this year - I have never had it done this way, have any of you? They love the turkey done this way but I can't imagine it, or even how you actually cook it.

Sylvain, thanks for the link on sharpening garden tools. I gave it a try and, although they are not razor sharp, they are certainly much better. I must have another go...

Avocado are ripening up now. I don't know what kinds I have but one of the trees produces fruit that are about a pound and a half each - they are so rich that we can only manage a half each at a sitting. I have no trouble at all getting rid of the excess fruit at my old job, they seem to be very popular, so all is good. We have eaten most of the oranges now and the trees are just starting to show flower buds for next years crop - don't citrus flowers smell heavenly?

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9340139

Did your ears burn today? We talked (once again) of the fairy tale trip we had to Maui. Still tops all the other's stories.

Mike cooked for 4 days. Everyone has gone home now (6:07 PM) and he is taking a well-earned nap. Indeed, we have many blessings and are thankful for each of them. These days he cooks and I play house...all the cleaning before and after and prepare the table with the china and silver. Should do that more than once a year but I am getting too old for all the fal-de-ral.

Our son has deep fried turkey several times. Requires a special cooker and a gallon of peanut oil. He always tries to round up several to do while the oil is hot because it is so expensive and not easy to salvage. I like them. Very moist and not at all like fried anything.

Well, the fun part awaits me. Putting away the leftovers and washing a truckload of dishes and utensils. I am extra thankful today for my nest and the opportunity to wash dishes. So many tragedies and others who have lost everything.

Have missed you.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9340190

Happy Thanksgiving!! Went to my grandma's and had dinner there. Had a good time for the most part.

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 29, 2012
10:01 PM

Post #9345966

Hi Everyone!

We had a great Thanksgiving! No cooking, cleaning, or dishes...We went to Golden Corral. We drove in got a parking spot on the first row, and walked directly in to the lobby and register...no waiting what so ever!!!!! The place was packed, and we were seated in the far corner. We got there just in time...the other half of the neighborhood showed up after we were seated, and there was a line out the door and down the sidewalk when we left!

My youngest granddaughter was here for the weekend! She is always a joy to have around! We made pumpkin pies! That really made it seem like Thanksgiving! They were sooooo good!

The weather here has been lovely. Cool to chilly mornings and warm afternoons! Just beautiful. I plan to get out in the garden tomorrow and sit on my swing and look at everything! I have to save my strength for house chores right now.

Jen, I would love to have your recipe for Yorkshire pudding! I bet it is great! Yummy!

What were everyone's favorite sweet this Thanksgiving?

My health situation is posted over in Prayer Request Forum. I won't go into it here.

Happy Holidays!

Jeanne
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
10:12 PM

Post #9351038

Everybody OK? Busy with holiday preparations?

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 6, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9351257

Oh, Holiday preparations... it used to be a case of: Chase your 24/7 for a whole month so everything is ready. Those were the days. Now that we live in Florida, there are no more acquaintances' kids, precious little family and it seems Holiday preparations are much more laid back. And, as the nefarious Martha would say: It's a good thing.

I don't do stores anymore, save for Costco. I have ordered Christmas presents off the internet this morning. I am debating the purchase of a newfangled electronic device for myself. I may wait until after Christmas to take advantage of reduced prices. I don't really believe in Santa Claus anymore. In PayPal, UPS and FedEx we trust.

Anyhow, with less stress, less shopping and less running around, it seems we get more time to appreciate what Christmas is all about, doesn't it?

I was watching a gut-splitting video the other day where parents, at Jimmy Kimmel's suggestion, sent in videos of ungrateful children opening really bad Christmas presents. The gifts: just plain awful. The kids' reactions: priceless. Oh, I am bad. I'll be on Santa's naughty list, that's for sure. Here is a link to the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWXKUPt7a-U

Sylvain.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9351910

Hi Sylvain! So glad you are doing well!

We don't have any little ones any more either! Things here are laid back as well. Thank goodness!

I saw the video of Kimmel's when the parents took the kids' candy at Halloween. It was pretty sad! You had better look out or you will be getting 'coal" in your stocking! haha!

I posted on my thread over on the Prayer Request Forum. It's easier to just post it one place Thanks for your prayers!.

Happy Holidays Everyone!
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 12, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9356283

Hello All,
It had been awhile since I posted and just need to say Hello to all of you and wish you a wonderfl Holiday. I hope you are all set and finish with shopping.
Katie,
How are you doing?
Still doing PT?

I am doing much much better, had my last PT yesterday and has prescribed exercises for the gym which i do religiously 3 times per week. I have a very minute difference on my normal foot and my affected ankle as far as anterior flexion. i do not know if I am making sense.
I am seeing my surgeon next week and will tell me if I have limitations.
I started playing golf but just 9 holes which makes DH very happy since we are scheduled to go for 3 weeks golf vacation next month. I am very excited and Santa came early for a new driver.

Our Daughter and her husband and our 3 year old G-son is coming for Christmas and so we are very excited that we have to buy a real tree as well as put lights for the outside. it will be fun!!!

We are having few friends for Christmas dinner so they can meet Seaver again.

Have a wonderful and relaxing Holiday.

Belle
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2012
12:11 AM

Post #9361169

Hi Belle, Sylvain, Katie, Christi, Jen, and other beloved ones!

Sounds like you are improving, healing, Belle. It sure takes time doesn't it?

I have finished my second iron infusion. It really tires me out. Seems like it would energize me, but it does just opposite! It takes about three days for the side effects to wear off. Hopefully it will start showing up on the CBC.

My hemoglobin is holding at 9.1, so maybe it will start going back up soon. At least I haven't lost any blood in about
two weeks...almost three weeks! Praise the Lord!!!!! They will check it again on Thurs when I get my Iron again.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9362220

And I second the motion from Jeanne. Sure hope these treatments will make a difference for you, Jeanne. Has anyone heard from Pu'ole lately. For some reason he has been on my mind for several days. I called Jen several days ago and it was such a thrill to hear her voice. May just have to call Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 19, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9362250

Pu'ole is here!

Hi, everyone. I am still recovering from that emergency operation at the beginning of last summer. On most days, I have energy to go about my daily business, but then I end up running on Empty at the end of the afternoon and I have to stop. Other days, there is no energy at all and I spend my days either reading, sleeping, or a mixture of both. I still have an open sore on my upper right thigh that is healing slowly, very slowly. And I get hot flashes, a side-effect of my medication. They happen when I get tired and are they ever bothersome!

My dad is spending the winter with us here. It's a treat. We hadn't seen him in 3 years because he was taking care of his 2nd wife, who was slowly dying of Alzheimer's disease. She passed away in August and we convinced him to leave the snow and the large empty house behind and come live the good life here with us. We read, smoke a cigar, enjoy the breeze and run errands together. I cook and he helps with the dishes. Everything I cook is always lip-smacking to him. He hadn't had good home-cooked food in a very long time. In all humility, I also admit that I am quite the cook. It's good to him around. He worries about me, so I try not to let it show too much when I have one of those no-energy days.

A vanda orchid that bought 3 years ago has finally bloomed. It sent out dozens of aerial roots but we had never seen the blooms. I must admit to not being too gifted with orchids belonging to the Vanda alliance. I include a picture. Isn't it pretty? Well, at any rate, it's rather easy on the eyes.

As far as calling is concerned, I can call just about anywhere within the civilized world free of charge. You gotta love internet phone. If you feel like it, just D-mail me your phone number and I'll gladly call you.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 19, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9362368

Glad to hear how everyone is doing. I can't write much as my left hand is wrapped like a paw due to a bite from Max my adopted=as=an=adult dog. He has some life=threatening issues which cause him to panic and b ite. He's getting much better and I'm learning the signs of panic. No permenent damage to my thumb but it's cut on both sides and purple so I am babying it. Max gets along with the other three dogs and is sweet as can be when it doesn't involve food or fear. It's continue to wokr with him or have him put down. You all know me so you know what I'm doing. I got a wrap at Petco which might hlep. I need to get enighbor Dana to hellp me put it on him. My decision to work with him is made largely because his biting is out of fear and self=protection, never out of anger at me. Within seconds when over the fear he's as affectionate towards me as can be.

My little hilltop is expanding as we are getting truckloads of fill being generated by the dredging of the harbor.

I'm able to put bows on stuffed animals so I'm getting ready for my Christmas gig. I have bags of stuffed animals and 25-lbs of wrapped candies.

hugs, katie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9362598

Love your orchid Sylvain!! I have one that will bloom white if it blooms again. I fell for the blue dye and bought it before I realized it was dyed. I usually check but the blue was too vivid and I couldn't ignore a plant in my fav color. Blue Mystique they call it. The blooming stem appears to have died but it is putting on several new leaves so I know it's at least healthy.

Glad your dad is with you guys now. You just keep on spoiling him!! Will do him a world of good. You too actually. :~)

This message was edited Dec 19, 2012 7:14 PM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9362898

How wonderful to hear from all of you. I really miss our chit-chat about nothing much. Mike had knee replacement surgery in August and got over it miraculously fast. However, he tires easily and has HOT FLASHES during the night. There is a God and justice. We women go through that for about 10 years. In the past I was one of the busiest people you would ever meet. Over the past year I have sort of run out of steam...biggest procrastinator in the world. Five days till Christmas and I have still have so much to do.

I wish to all a very Merry Christmas and Peace on Earth.

Christi

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 20, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9362912

Yes, 5 days until Christmas. And the Mayan calendar predicts the end of the world for tomorrow.

Procrastination? Oy Ve, you don't know from procrastination, I say. Yesterday, I should have watered my Earth Box where 2 tomato plants are growing. I didn't. I ended up thinking: Leave that until tomorrow, so you can procrastinate the "job" a few more days. A tomato plant could dry up at that rate.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 20, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9362994

My Temple Goddess brug has three beautiful white blooms on it.

A nice distraction from all the big machines hauling dredgings and pushing them around.

kb
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9364290

So good to hear from almost Everyone! Glad you are all well.

I have a praise report! My blood was up from 9.1 to 10.2 !!!!!! Yea!!!!!!! I don't go back until Jan 3rd. I get a vacation next week which is great!

I think the iron is finally kicking in! I think the bleeding has stopped!!!!!! YEA!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Jeanne
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 22, 2012
3:26 AM

Post #9364433

Sylvain,
I think of your arm doing a secondary closure which takes a long time.I am glad you are enjoying your Dad. How old is he? I wish I had more time with my Dad but they lived in Hawaii so we saw them every few years.

Katie,
Take care of that or hand. How is your knee?

Jeanne,
It is good news that your Hgb is holding. I am sure it takes a lot of worry for the Holidays.

We are expecting my daughter, Son in law and 3 year old g-son this PM. They spent the night in Durham so Andrew friend could meet our daughter and Seaver. They will be here till the 28th so it will be fun.He can wreck the house with toys all over but always picks up after play which they do at the Montessori school. We will see.

Have a Wonderful Holiday and enjoy your time with family and friends.

Belle
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9364579

Aloha everyone,

Well, we made it through the end of the world! So glad to hear everyone is doing better health wise - take care of that hand Katie, and such good news about your Hgb Jeanne!

We are having a very quiet Christmas here - no family visiting , but at least I don't have to work on the holidays this year! What a nice change.

Hawaiian tradition is to go to friends homes and leave a pineapple on the doorstep for Christmas. We are going to do this under cover of dark on the morning of the 24th - its a lot of fun as no-one knows who put them there...I will also leave a hand of bananas as we have just been blessed? with three enormous stalks in the last two days.

If anyone is interested, this is the 12 days of Christmas Hawaiian style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GoMmIEKgks.

Sorry I don't seem to be able to do the link da kine without loosing my post - how do you do that Sylvain?

Mele Kalikimaka to one and all.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 22, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9364582

My dad is 80, still very active, has more energy than I do. He's a joy to have around. He's teaching Gail to play cribbage and driving her crazy in the process. He has an infectious laugh.

He loves to watch me cook and has taken over the dishwashing completely. We'll have a great Christmas, with a couple friends dropping in for dinner.

MENU:
Shrimp mousse,
Spanakopitas,
French onion soup,
Boeuf bourguignon with pearl onions and mushrooms along with cubed potatoes you can mash into the sauce.
Dessert may very well be profiteroles, (miniature cream puffs).
And this being Christmas, liberal amounts of wine.

It's an easy menu . I can prepare the mousse on the 24th. Its taste only improves by sitting in the refrigerator. After the gifts are opened on Christmas morning, the spanakopitas can be assembled and refrigerated before lunch. The beef can be started early in the afternoon and simmer all afternoon quietly. The homemade cream puffs shells are already made and frozen in the freezer. I'll thaw them, pipe in some custard and some whipped cream some time while the beef simmers - a no brainer. A shot of chocolate glaze over each puff's top and we're basically done here. If I get around to it, there may be some chocolate fudge, who knows? Easy dinner, contented guests and someone to throw the dishes into the dishwasher. Oh Oh Oh, Merry Christmas indeed.

So, if I may ask, what are you all planning for Christmas?

Sylvain.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 22, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9364599

Jenny, I first find something to share with the group beforehand. In this example: a YouTube flash mob in a food court, singing Haendel's Halleluyah. I copy the URL: http://www.youtube...

Then, I write my post. And somewhere in there, I indicate to click on the link and paste the link on the next line, like so:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE

And you're done.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

December 22, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9364841

Sylvain,
Your menu sounds wonderful and your guests will truly enjoy the dinner.Have a wonderful time

Our daughter, husband and 3 year old G-son arrived for late lunch.He loves trucks and he is playing while his parents are resting.
We will be having 14 adults and 3 children for dinner on Christmas day. I will set up the buffet in the kitchen and the dining room for them to sit as well as 6 more in the sun room.

Menu:
fresh tuna tataki
spring mix greens
roast Leg of lamb
marinated skirt steak
shrimp tempura
soft shell crabs
bacon wrapped scallops
assorted grilled veggie
White rice
Desserts-- fruit salad with cream cheese dressing
Barcelona flan

Dinner at 6PM

Best part is I will not be washing dishes, I hired someone to wash and put away everything that was used.

Dh is is a good host, he makes sure everybody has refill.

May all have a wonderful time..

Belle

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9364995

I'm sitting here eating (with a cat in my lap no less) and I'm getting hungry again reading the menus. lol.

Christmas eve I will work about 6 hours and we will have a potluck for all the employees. I'm making an oreo desert that everyone tends to fight over. lol. Christmas day will be just my parents and I and I have no idea what we will eat for lunch. Dinner time we will be over at my brother's house and we will all open presents from them. Dinner last I heard was supposed to be beef noodles. I haven't heard what else we will be eating.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9385128

Hi, all.

Gosh, it's quiet in here. What's everyone doing? I have to tackle an awful lot of pruning because the beds' plants are basically trying to lift the roof. I don't have so much space, just 3 feet wide measured from the house's foundation outwards, on 3 sides of the house. The 4th side houses my shade garden in my carport. The car sleeps in the driveway because I need the space for my philodendrons and other aroids. They don't take kindly to part-sun or full sun.

I'm looking forward to hearing what's going on in your neck of the woods.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2013
5:19 PM

Post #9385138

Dealing with bitter cold mornings and snow here. Also dealing with the flu and colds. My boss has the flu and had to go to the ER this weekend for it. He will be off for a few days to fight that. I'm fighting a cold and several of my coworkers are also. So been busy here!!

I'm trying to keep my plants I brought inside alive. Most are doing ok but my meezo is throwing a fit right now for some reason. I may have to trim it some more. My one orchid is still alive for some reason. I kill them all the time but this one is throwing some leaves and the bloom stalk is dead. It's alive which is some miracle. lol. The pregnant plant that I was given isn't too happy with me right now. Droopy but still green. It needs to live til spring when I can put it out and it can perk up again. lol.

That's pretty much it on my end. I do have a dented hood on my truck now due to my being in a hurry one day. I checked fluids and my hands started to hurt due to it being cold so I didn't double check it latching. I was headed to town for dinner and it flew up on me. Had to call my brother to come and put it down for me. Still need to get it fixed but it can wait til it warms up a bit.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 15, 2013
3:20 AM

Post #9385534

Good morning all,

Happy New year to all of you!!!

How are you doing Jeanne?

Pepper,
I hope you are feeling better.

My last post was before Christmas telling you my menu. Anyway Dh cancelled 2 entrees, it was just too much. We ended up not buying some soft shell crabs because it was too much $$$. Ridiculously high!!! 2 guests brought something. DH ended up doing the dishes, hired help did not show up.

We enjoyed our 3 year old G-son and how he is learning a lot at Montessori school . They were with us for 8 days, ate in except 3 times for dinner. My daughter and I comb the shopping centers and had a good time spending time together. Lot of fun.

Did something stupid yesterday, left the city water running into the koi pond for 6 hours. Dh does not know because it was negligence on my part. i checked late last night with a flashlight and spot lights and took out one that died and i am waiting for light to check how the others are doing. i added salt and baking soda after I realized what i did. It was too late to go buy some dechlorinators as advised by ponders.

ankle is doing fine gets achy sometimes but ultram is a life saver. Back playing golf , in fact i am scheduled to play today with Dh if the weather permits.

You all have a good day.

Belle

This message was edited Jan 15, 2013 7:16 PM

This message was edited Jan 17, 2013 7:23 AM
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9386393

We are having snow for the second time in 4 weeks. Not natural for our part of the world. Daughter had double knee replacement almost 3 weeks ago. Meeting myself coming and going.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2013
10:44 PM

Post #9387826

Glad everyone is OK...Christi I had heard Dallas got snow on the news, so figured you did too! Hope your plants survive OK. Take care of yourself as well as your daughter!

Belle, hope you are healing... better by now? It takes so long. Are you back to your golfing yet? Sorry to hear about your fish.

Sylvain hope you are OK. Don't overdo in those flower beds.

Pepper, take care of yourself in that cold weather!

I am doing better also...Another PRAISE REPORT!

My hemoglobin is up to 11.0 from 10 due to the iron infusions. I am so HAPPYY! I don't have to go back for two weeks!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PRAYERS! GOD IS SOOOOOO GOOD!

Jeanne
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 19, 2013
2:28 PM

Post #9390401

Jeanne,
I am glad you are doing much better. When you say infusions do you go to the hospital?

Katie,

Are you okay? Had not heard from you for a long time.

Jeanne, Yes I am back golfing, in fact we are scheduled to go for 3 weeks golf vacation with some friends from the club. I am very excited.

Snow in Texas?. Our daughter who lives in Alabama had snow last week and our 3 year old
G-son was very excited and could not wait to go back to school to check on the snow man the class made a day before. That was his first snow experience.

I lost 3 koi from the incident few days ago. Last summer i lost 27 so i have few left and will probably order babies like I did few years ago. Some one will split the order with me.

Take care and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Belle

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 19, 2013
4:14 PM

Post #9390484

Hi - I'm hanging in. Still some problems with my new knee and we've been having an unusually cold winter. We've done a lot of work on the new garden.

They are dredging the harbor which is just east of my house. We've gotten a lot of the dredged material dumped on our little hilltop. We may get more. It has given us more land and may give us even more (we need to talk to various officials); the downside is that we have lost a lot of the work that we have done on the arroyo (and some of the plants).

Tony took the day off today to take his daughter to the dentist in Santa Rosalia. It warmed up a bit so I got some work done in the new garden.

Not a lot of news here but I'm doing OK. Thanks for asking. Christmas went very well. Neighbor Dana brought me a lot of stuffed animals and neighbor Barbara went with me as an elf. Lots of happy kids. I had wrapped candy, too, but it's the stuffed animals that the kids (and some of the adults) really enjoy. I also had Christmas coffee mugs from Goodwill and that pleased the older kids and some of the adults. It was fun having a helper.

Great news, Jeanne. I don't golf, Belle, but I can tell you enjoy it and I'm glad you're able to be back to it.

hugs, katie

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2013
7:11 AM

Post #9391014

Katie, our daughter had double knee replacement on Dec. 27. She is doing ok but not as good as her daddy did with just the one. I'm sorry yours gives you some trouble. Surgeon told us that it is actually 2 years for complete healing. Thinking of you.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9400138

Good morning gang, nice to get caught up with what's going on via the thread. I am doing well, had to escape Chicago for more suitable temperatures and get some plant therapy here in Houston. Helping my friend Kevin do some landscaping. Boy do I ever miss it! Headed back to Chi town today. Still plotting a permanent return.
Cheers! Got to put a couple more plants in the ground before I leave!
Rj
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2013
6:50 PM

Post #9400713

Hey Rj!! Temps are more than suitable here today. Mid 70s, humid and windy. Made me want to go and do some spring clean up in the garden but it's a little to early still for that so I managed to resist. lol

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

January 29, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9401085

Hi THERE, RJ!!!

So glad you stopped in. Looked at your page the other day and saw that you and my DD have the same Birthday. I will be in Chi-town for the birthdays, hope that we can get together this time. Will keep in touch.

Glad to see all healing well, the prayers must be working.

Nancy
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9401871

Aloha everyone,

I am visiting my daughter in NC, but going home to Maui tomorrow. A couple of weeks ago I broke one of my back molars - you would think I had learned not to eat frozen candy bars by now! My SIL is a dentist so it was cheaper to fly to the mainland and have him fix my tooth than to pay the co-pay at my dentist in Maui- what's up with that? I have had a lovely vacation at the same time, so life is good! We had an ice storm here last Friday with temps down into the twenties overnight - needless to say I didn't put as much as my nose out of the door - temps in the 60's are heavy coat weather to me, the 20's are unreal! Today, however, was just lovely with temps way up into the 50's and I was able to discard at least three layers of clothing! Changing planes in Dallas, so I will be thinking of you Christy as I breeze through tomorrow morning.

DH and Mom told me that we had some heavy tropical rain at home last night and that the garden is soaked through and very muddy, although the rain caused two hands of bananas to ripen - DH took them into work to get rid of them so I don't have to face 100 lbs of ripening fruit when I get back! Thank the Lord!

I am so glad that everyone is recovering from all the ills of this past summer - keep up the good work - you are all CHAMPS!

Jenny

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2013
6:51 PM

Post #9402000

I hope you made it thru Dallas ok today. I saw they had some wicked weather going on there earlier today. I got some of it myself though the severe stuff stayed south and east of me.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

January 30, 2013
5:48 AM

Post #9402309

Hello to everyone!!!

We are in Phoenix on a golf vacation with a group and the weather is is unusually cold. a lot of the trees and shrubberies are frozen. It looks like most of the homes have orange trees. We have cold weather clothes as well as summer clothes for Palm spring and San Diego so I am prepared . I am the only lady playing, the other lady does not play when it is below 70!! What a shame to spend all that $$$ and not play. LOL!!!

My ankle is holding even with cart path only in 2 of the courses we had played . i am having a ball playing with all the men !!! Such gentlemen !!

My neighbor called that my pond is frozen and I hope the koi are okay . i think of them a lot.

Best regards to all.

Belle
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2013
9:43 PM

Post #9405564

WOW everyone is really busy!

RJ so good to hear from you!

Belle, I get the iron infusions at Texas Oncology. They check my blood every two weeks.

Jan. 30th I went to get my blood checked. "My hemoglobin was down from 11 to 8.6 in two weeks."

Yes there were signs of melana, however I thought it was the iron. I had been very weak as well.

I was admitted back to the hospital for two units of blood transfused in which brought it up to 9.9.

The gastro Dr. decided to redo the Endoscopy and the Colonoscopy today. Still they found nothing except conditions that we already knew existed

I have to go see a Dr. at Baylor in The Medical Center, Houston to do a Endoscope that hopefully will tell
us where the problem lies. Don't have a date on that yet.

I have now had 11 units of blood transfused in since last Sept. Again my arm is all bruised from IV's infiltrating or blowing out.

I was discharged and am back home.

Thank you for your continued prayers! They are sincerely appreciated!

Jeanne

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 2, 2013
4:56 AM

Post #9405683

Jeanne,

Have the doctors ruled out hemophilia? Just a thought. Glad the blood perks you up. Yes, you have been in my prayers.

Take care.

Nancy
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2013
12:08 PM

Post #9406085

Nancy, they have not mentioned that, so not sure. They think there is a small vein that has ruptured, but they just can't find it. Gastro Dr. said it is probably under a fold in the intestine.

We may do iron infusions again to bring the hemoglobin up further.

My roommate in the hosp. had pneumonia. She wasn't supposed to be contagious. Please pray for her as well!

Jeanne
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 3, 2013
3:49 AM

Post #9406626

Jeanne,
Something is causing the drop of hgb and i hope Baylor Drs can find the answer.Praying that the test will go smoothly.

We toured Sedona 2 days ago and joined a 13 hour tour in Grand Canyon yesterday. Spectacular!!!.

Best regards to all,

Belle
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2013
12:38 PM

Post #9407133

Belle, read over on the Prayer Forum on my thread...it is a long story, but the cause for it to drop is blood loss. I have had 11 units transfused in since Sept. They just can't find where it is leaking from so I have to go to Baylor asap. It will be as an outpatient.

Belle, your vacation sounds great! Have a good time!

Jeanne
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 3, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9407341

Jeanne - I have a funny image of holding you underwater like an innertube to find the leak. Probably not so funny to you. Lots of prayers and hope they can patch the leak soon.

Randy, How is Chicago? I think of you often.

Belle, you sound so much better. My recovery is up and down but mostly up and "normal" according to the medical people.

Wish my sewing/craft stuff could organize and dust itself.

Our weather is great right now. t was a bit chilly for me but is now very spring-like. New growth on most of the citrus and other plants. An abudance of lemons and red grapefruit.

hugs, katie
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2013
10:42 PM

Post #9407616

OH Katiebear, that is sooooo FUNNY! ROFLOL! Thank you! I needed the laugh!
And, if you can teach you stuff to do that, please send lesson plan, cause mine needs it too! haha!
Our weather has been Springlike too! I went out in the garden today and it was beautiful outside! (The weather, not the garden so much!)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2013
5:06 PM

Post #9408608

It would be nice if all the stuff I have would learn to organize itself too!! Save me the headache of messing with it. lol
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2013
8:42 PM

Post #9408835

Hi Amanda! How's things going, kiddo? Hope you are doing well.

Take care and be safe in all of this cold weather y'all have been having.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2013
5:40 PM

Post #9409708

Things are going good!! I have a job interview on Friday so I may be getting lucky and getting into a better job. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping!!

Temps have been above normal so it's all I can do to keep from grabbing my shears and running outside and doing spring clean up. I don't want to do that til later in the month so that anything that is tender can still have a bit of extra protection from this wild weather. Spring fever is starting to hit my wallet too. I'm starting to order plants! LOL.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
4:26 PM

Post #9411488

Amanda, I am so glad you have an interview! Saying prayers for you, sweetie! Let us know how it goes!
What plants did you order?

I did get my hemoglobin results back today up from 9.9 to 10.0, so no loss in the last week!!! I still don't have a date to go to Baylor. I did go online today to at least get directions. It's been 10 yrs since I've been there.

Glad everyone is doing well. Thanks for your prayers!

Jeanne

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9411510

Little Lime hydranga, Helianthus Microcephalus, and from bleeks lily group buy I got Brunello, Robina, Black Beauty, Double Sweet Rosy, Acapulco and Royal Sunset. I'm sharing the lilies with a friend who's front garden I will be redoing.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2013
4:54 PM

Post #9411515

AHHHHH, how sweet! You will have to send us some pictures! I bet it will be beautiful!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 7, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9411531

I'm gonna use as many plants as I can divide from my gardens and my granma's to keep costs down but I need to get her some small bushes to frame her front stoop. I would have gotten some more of the hydranga but her house is white. I can't do white blooming plants since they will disappear. lol. I still have time to look though so I'm not rushing it.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2013
8:37 PM

Post #9420516

Amanda, I am sure you will do a very good job! Blue Hydrangea would look nice!

Tuesday I am going to Baylor for consultation on my GI bleeding issue. If he chooses to do the procedure it would hopefully be in one to two weeks. He is the only one that does it, and his schedule is very full. Hopefully they will find the leak this time!

Katiebear, I may suggest to him your technique,for finding leaks in tires if his does not work! haha

Jeanne
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

February 16, 2013
8:50 AM

Post #9420872

Good luck to you Jeanne!!!

Belle
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9423029

In Houston to trim up the overgrown garden, or as I call it mid winter plant therapy! Oddly must do this in mid Feb when the temps in Houston are nice and mild.

When are BD's Nancy?

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 18, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9423043

Yours and my daughter's are both on June 7th...yes?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
4:31 PM

Post #9423553

That's right!
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2013
12:06 AM

Post #9426268

Hi Everyone! So glad to see you post Randy! How it going?????

The update on my trip to Baylor can be read at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285800/#new

The weather here has been mild this year, Thank Goodness. I really appreciate all of the rain. My plants appreciate it as well.

Hope everone is doing well!

Jeanne
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9427826

Going pretty good, I could tell it was mild winter, the mountain of trimmings was testimony.
Had interview at Houston airport a week ago Monday, cross your
Fingers and say a little prayer. Can ya believe my year is almost up already! Glad I was
Here, sounds like Chicago got a bit of snow
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9428322

I probably got more snow than Chicago. lol. I ended up with about 14 inches of the thick white stuff. If my nephew had been here we'd been out sledding in the yard today. lol
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2013
9:50 PM

Post #9428563

Amanda, you did get alot of snow! Wow!

Randy, it is hard to believe it's been almost a year. It's gone by fast! I sure hope you can return to the area here.
We really miss you! I still have one of your planters you gave me a plant in if you want it back!

Got any good cuttings?

Take care everyone and stay warm all of you who are up north!

Jeanne
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9429331

We have more snow coming in starting Monday. 6-10 inches and blizzard like conditions if not an outright blizzard. Never had 2 big storms back to back like this. It's crazy!! And we just got driveway driveable today. lol. Still alot of snow but we won't get high centered.

Here's what it looked like during storm. That wasn't even the worst of it. At it's heaviest you could barely see the woods down there. We got a few more inches on top of what you see in pic.

Thumbnail by pepper23

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
2:10 PM

Post #9450557

Life works in mysterious ways!
It's one year next month...I get to keep my huge raise, and have been offered a job in Houston, will be moving back next month. What was the black hole last year is the silver lining this. Can't wait to dig in my garden once again!!
Rj
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

March 15, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9450598

That's great news. Rj. So glad you will be home soon - with the huge raise. katie
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 15, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9450615

Thanks! one step closer to a visit. Living life to the fullest, no excuses!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9450763

Glad you get to go back home soon!!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 16, 2013
4:57 AM

Post #9451030

Sure, you're doing this just so we don't get togethrt!!! LOL It was a nice try.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2013
7:13 AM

Post #9453343

Great News!!! We are so happy for you. Bet your renters will hate to leave your paradise.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 18, 2013
2:36 PM

Post #9453813

Hi.

I don't know how it happened, but I lost track of this thread. Well, hide the wine and the chocolate because the bear is back.

RJH, glad you'll be back to your TX garden soon.

Take care, all.
Sylvain
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

March 18, 2013
4:23 PM

Post #9453904

Hello All!!

For those of you who wants to know about Jeanne's health plight please read the prayer request forum.

Belle

This message was edited Mar 19, 2013 5:48 AM

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 19, 2013
3:02 AM

Post #9454368

Wondering where you were, Slyvain. Are you OK? Gail's email came back again, so please email me her correct address.

All is well here.

Nancy
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2013
11:59 PM

Post #9467298

Hi Everyone!

The thread over on the prayer request forum is http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285800/#new

Thank you so very much for your prayers! I am gaining my strength back slowly but surely...

So glad to see so many people back! Hope everyone is OK and on the mend!

Randy, so glad that you are coming home!

Happy Easter Everyone!

Jeanne

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 7, 2013
7:29 AM

Post #9474520

Sylvain is back in the hospital with another leg sore. Gail said he's doing OK.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9474580

Oh, so sad. Diabetes is an insidious disease. Prayers.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2013
4:29 PM

Post #9475085

Sad to hear it. Glad he is doing ok though.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

April 9, 2013
3:14 AM

Post #9477023

Sylvain,
So sorry about the hospitalization and praying for speedy recovery.

Belle

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 9, 2013
5:53 AM

Post #9477134

Hi,everyone.

I am so sick of being on my back in this hospital bed, you have no idea. I may be released some time later in the week. Other than being bored stiff, no real worries.

Before being hospitalized, I had ordered some rec torch ginger rhyzomes. When they arrivbe, I'll try to plant them, whichever way I can.

Take care, all.
Sylvain

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 9, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9477276

Sylvain, didn't know you had your lap-top. So glad. At least it keeps the funny people at bay.

Please get better soon. My turn to treat lunch.

Hugs, Mr. Bear.

PS Must be home for next Tuesday!!!!!

This message was edited Apr 9, 2013 10:32 AM
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

April 9, 2013
4:22 PM

Post #9477988

Oh, Sylvain, Get yourself home and plant that ginger. Remember to insist upon fresah water. hugs, kb
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2013
10:12 PM

Post #9478352

Sylvain, prayers coming your way! Hugs, too!

Update on the prayer forum.

Jeanne

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 11, 2013
6:16 AM

Post #9479750

Thank you all for the kind words.

I may be released today or tomorrow. As for next Tuesday, it's been a long while since I treated that as a national holiday.

How I'll plant those ginger roots when I get them is beyond me, but I'll find a way, even if I have to use my bare hands. No worries there.

Take care, all.
Sylvain

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 11, 2013
7:24 AM

Post #9479853

Safe passage home, Sylvain. I'm sure that Gail will be waiting with open arms. Just don't try to do too much. The plants can wait another couple of days.

Hugs,
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2013
9:11 AM

Post #9480034

Aloha all,

So sorry to read that our Polar Bear is back in the hospital again, I hope that you are home by now. I am sure that you will recover quicker at home than in the hospital - not to mention being a lot happier!

Randy, how wonderful to read that you are being transfered back home again. How quickly a year has passed, and how wise you were to rent your place out instead of selling. Welcome home!

Jeanne, I hope that your health continues to improve and that the doctors have finally figured out what is going on, it's been a rough winter for you - get well soon!

All quiet here. We have "sold" our home for full price three times now and all of them have fallen out of escrow. Twice because the buyers own homes fell out of escrow, and once because the buyers couldn't get their financing despite a letter from the bank saying that they qualified - whats up with that? We are thinking of taking it off the market for a while to get a rest from all the craziness that trying to sell a home causes...

Mom has had a bad winter with bouts of diverticulitis (sp?) but has improved after two rounds of antibiotics. She is not doing anything much except for sitting in her chair in front of the TV, it's sad to see a parent go downhill. One of the main reasons for us to move was to be able to get more services for Mom as the Island is very limited for elder care and she is going to need more care soon as she is getting very muddled at times.

We have had a very odd winter here. We even had a record low in Honolulu last week of 61 degrees. It's been very cloudy although we haven't had much rain here in Kihei. Is Spring springing in your areas yet? I used to love the first signs of Spring when we lived in New Hampshire, something we don't really have here.

The Mangos are going to have a heavy crop this year but haven't started ripening yet - I guess they need more sunshine than we have been getting. My bete noir - the monkey pod tree is starting to do it's thing and dropping black beans all over the driveway - gosh, I hate that tree at this time of year, although the rest of the year it is really a rather pretty tree with a lovely spread and casts dappled shade on the front of the house when we need it most, so I really shouldn't gripe so much - i'll try to remember that when I am doing the picking up this morning!

Love to one and all,

Jenny
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2013
4:51 PM

Post #9480571

Sylvain, hope you get released in the next day or so!!

I've been busy working and trying to get my garden cleaned up around all the cold weather that keeps coming back. We are dealing with a few days of below freezing nights again so my new plants are in the garage for now and plants at work are covered again. I can't complain too much though because the front brought much needed rain that will hopefully help us get thru the summer.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 11, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9480622

So glad to hear from you Jenn, and Amanda.

Although I fully understand your reasoning to sell, Jenn, it is everything in God's timing. Wish I had the courage to pick up and move to Hawaii. Probably couldn't manage your home but even a tent would be ok. Sorry about Margaret. Mikes mother is now over 95 and that is not a good thing. Too much to tell but she is not in good shape. Life is short and we all should be enjoying the time we have.

And Pu'ole, you haven't been to visit yet so hurry up and get well.
Actually, we have an open door for any and all that wants to come.

Love, Christi aka Princess Kilikina
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2013
10:07 PM

Post #9490329

Hi Everyone!

So glad to hear from all of you! I have put an update over on the prayer forum...blood is back down to 7.7 again, you can read it over there.

It is supposed to be 40 deg F in the morning. The furnace is back on again. It will warm up to 72, but it does make for a chilly morning. I plan to stay under the covers!

Jen, I too wish I could buy your house! I have div. also, so I know how your Mom feels...I too have been rather muddled. The other day I prayed for our meal. Instead of saying "Amen. I said, OK?" My DS just looked at me, and said, "Isn't that a little informal? Are we on first name bases or something...?" I just looked at him. He said, "OK???" I just laughed and said, "Yes, as matter of fact, we are on first name basis...I call Him Jesus, Lord, and He can call me anything He likes...it's usually "Child"! It's OK. But I have been trying to remember the "Amen."

Christi, we could all camp out in the back yard at Jen's! I certainly would be happy with a tent also!!!!

Amanda, hope you are doing well. Have you defrosted yet?

Sylvain, get well quickly!

Randy, are you settled in yet?

Belle, how's the golfing going?

Please keep me in your prayers. We will recheck the blood on Wed. am. again.

Jeanne
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

April 20, 2013
5:04 AM

Post #9490473

Sylvain,
Are you home yet? Take care.

Jenny,
My brother in -laws first house was in Kihei. Mangoes!!! I am soooo jealous Love them!!! I make all sorts of stuff with them. There are lots of different varieties in the market from Mexico, Chile,Guatemala. I never see Maui mangoes.

My ankle still hurts but tylenol once a day is sufficient. I play golf 2-4 time per week and I joined 2 ladies leagues. It is fun and very addicting.

Have a nice week end to all!!!!

Belle

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 20, 2013
7:59 AM

Post #9490656

Hi, everyone.
I came home last Saturday. I administer my own IV antibiotics every 6 hours. That should last until May 16. I don't mind, except for the 4AM dose that cuts my night in 2 distinct parts. Sometimes, I manage to go back to sleep... sometimes not. All in all, I am getting better, a bit more so every day. I manage to get my day-to-day business done, always keepng an eye on my watch so I don't miss or delay the next IV. Anybody care to guess what I'm doing while I'm writing this ? If you guessed IV antibiotics, you're spot on.

Take care, all.
Sylvain
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2013
6:04 PM

Post #9491228

Still dealing with frost. I have a bunch of plants hiding in the garage for now because this next week will be up and down in temps. Frosty mornings are not exactly the norm this time of year. lol. The good thing is we are getting lots of much needed rain!! After last year's drought I have no complaints.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2013
2:09 PM

Post #9498189

I am feeling a little stronger. I am going to try and make it out to the garden for a little while. It may just be to the patio to sit for awhile.

My magnolia tree in the front is loaded with buds. I can't wait for it to bloom!

Have a great weekend everyone.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2013
7:53 PM

Post #9535230

I can't express just how much I miss all of you. We have been through a lot together as we are family...the best kind...because we choose to be. I have ordered some specialty tropicals from Brian's Botanicals. They are here and in ground but as Amanda says, the weather has been too cold for them to really get settled.

A few days before the tornadoes hit Moore, OK, several small cities no more than 50 miles (some only 30 or less miles) from us had their own portion of misery. The final count was 16 tornados on the ground. Just 2 weeks before is when the fertilizer warehouse exploded in the town of West, Texas, 40 miles from us. Any problems I thought I had pale in comparison. Much of South Texas and the Texas Hill Country is flooded tonight.

All of this following directly on the heels of the atrocity in Boston.

Now that I have played the roll of "Little Merry Sunshine" I will tell you each just how special you are and I love you.

PK

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

May 26, 2013
9:19 PM

Post #9535273

I've missed all of you, too.

Wondering how Sylvan is doing.

Times have been rough for many recently. Things are quiet here and we are moving into our summer "survival" weather. Tony and family are all hanging in and so are my four dogs. My snowbird neighbors left for Washington State a few days . Wouldn't leave me their little dog Amiga who is one of my favorites. Theirs, too.

Jeanne, Belle, how's by you all?

My new knee has just passed a major threshold in terms of pain/calling attention to itself. So far the other knee and my hips are OK so I'm beginning to relax and feel hopeful.

hugs, katie

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 27, 2013
8:21 AM

Post #9535633

Aloha to you all.

I am so happy to report that I am feeling fine. No more intravenous antibotics every 6 hours, no more picc line, freedom! My energy level has returned and we couldn't be happier.

My best to you all.
Sylvain, a.k.a. Pu'ole.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

May 27, 2013
10:10 AM

Post #9535738

Happy of the good news.

Keep up the spirits.

Belle
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2013
5:23 PM

Post #9536139

Glad to hear everyone is doing well!! I've been extremely busy with work and trying to keep the weeds looking halfway decent. lol. Living in the country means you just live with the weeds but get what you can to make you happy for a few days. lol

We got hit with a storm this morning that dumped a ton of rain on us. Was supposed to be a quick one but it moved down further south than we expected so we got hit for several hours instead of an hour tops. Oh well, we need the rain. My veggies sure took off and it's only been a few hours!!

My latest problem is my truck is acting up now. Check engine light is on and it's running a bit rough so gotta try and catch my mechanic tomorrow and make an appointment to get it looked at this week. Still driving it to work everyday though. My backup vehicle is apparently not driveable since my dad is borrowing my truck tomorrow instead of using his.

Good news is my elephant ears got planted last week and I have at least one starting to put growth on. I am hoping they get tall enough to provide some shade for my not so shady garden. Tree got cut down last year and only the hardiest have survived. Grrr... I had it looking so good too!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9536234

Haven't "counted noses" yet but there is till a few missing. Glad to hear from each of you. Let's make this a regular meeting, shall we?

Life is short we must make the most of everyday. Take care.

PK

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 28, 2013
5:00 AM

Post #9536609

Here' one nose!! lol

Glad you're better Sylvain, you had us worried. Kisses to Gail.

WE got a good rain last night too. Not to long but heavy and steady. All the little ones are doing great. Have more blooms on things than ever. Even stuff never bloomed before has blooms. To me that's the sign of a busy hurricane season. Hope I'm wrong,

Like is short and the way the weeks are flying by, it's kinda getting scary. Don't like it one bit.

Hugs and Prayers to all,

Hap
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9536897

HEY, Hap. So glad to see all is ok. Like you I have more things blooming than ever before. I live in a triangle where the Texas tornadoes and Oklahoma have been lately. We have had so much rain while more than half of Texas is classified as serious drought. I was a child in the 50's but I remember the extreme weather at that time. The term "global warming" was not even thought of then. My flower garden is magnificent this morning.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 31, 2013
11:36 AM

Post #9540941

Here's another nose! Have been very busy in the yard this spring as I decided to semi-retire!! DH was tired of being left for weeks at a time, so the garden is reaping the benefits of his feelings as well. I may still do a few shows here and there, but travel hhttp://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2013/05/31/Debijaynes/2d2395_tn.jpgas gone to the head of the list, as has enjoying my garden. Have re-potted almost all of the cattleyas and dendrobiums and am having more orchid misters installed in the pool cage area. Finding the misters has been the hard part--as well as the plumbing company finding time to fit us in. Lots and lots of building and remodeling going on here in SW FL. Our house remodel is almost complete--just the pool bath door and the outdoor kitchen to complete.
Here's what's blooming:
Rangoon creeper--looks different each hour of the day
Blue green jade vine was spectacular!
Plumerias
NIght blooming jasmine
Gardenias and Tahitia gardenias
Nong Nooch vine--does it love heat and LOTS of water--so much said for that plant label
Dutchman's Pipe vine
Hawaiian Sunset vine
Double yellow Allemanda vine
Lobster claw heleconias
Fruit trees producing like mad-- did have to replace a tangerine--haven't yanked out the old one yet...
Planted masses of daylilies
Confederate jasmine almost finished
All broms attached to trees growing like crazy
Moved some broms to salvaged coral stone boulders
And loved every minute of the Redlands orchid festival!

Also am loving all this wonderful rain--the pool not so much, but the plants are very happy!
Debi
The yellow hibiscus came from the Lowe's death rack--$1
The rangoon creeper --sorry don't know how to get upright from phone pic
The next is of the new orchid--the growers version--thought it was too pretty not to send--by the way mine is growing will have plenty to share
Last pic of the Blue Green Jade vine. Grows on a plumeria on the east side of the house

Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2013
8:22 PM

Post #9541465

Wonderful! Most definitely appreciate the break from all the horrific weather news. You will find that retirement takes a lot more time than working...no matter what the career is. But it is so worth it.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2013
5:50 PM

Post #9543699

I'm OK. My blood was up to 9.5, which is great, but I have had one infection after the other, so have been down. I don't do much, just the minimal. I hardly even make it out to the garden.

Hope everyone is OK!

The weather here has been beautiful. We got some rain today. We sure needed it.

Jeanne

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9571447

Where are you?

Everyone must be working in the garden or on vacation!!!!!

Hope everyone is well!

Happy Summer!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 24, 2013
3:52 PM

Post #9571696

I'm here, doing housework, in the garden, and on Dave's.

Hap
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2013
5:12 PM

Post #9571815

Working, sleeping, gardening, running around like a chicken with its head cut off. lol
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

June 24, 2013
5:29 PM

Post #9571830

It is golf season so I am playing a lot and also enjoying the gardens. I have a thread regarding my garden at biginner landscaping.

I hope and pray that your doctors has a diagnosis.

Belle

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 25, 2013
8:14 AM

Post #9572460

I'm right here, trying to do a bit of real estate work, running the household, trying to find the courage to go out there and rip some nefarious plants that grow 10 feet tall and are spreading all over the lawn. I also have to trim that rosemary bush that is growing huge (no complaints here). I check out Dave's once in a while and I am wondering if I'll renew my membership. I would miss it at first if I didn't renew, but this too shall pass. Sic transit Gloria mundi.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 25, 2013
1:25 PM

Post #9572897

I did just renew because everyone is so helpful when I have questions-- and I like to think that I can be a bit helpful as well. I did think twice about renewing--but I have found WAY too many helpful hints in these past two years!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 25, 2013
1:34 PM

Post #9572915

I'm going to renew, I have too many friends here. Like family.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2013
10:56 AM

Post #9574100

Good points, Deb and Nancy. I'd miss it too much. Life is too short to deprive oneself of his guilty pleasures. Yeah, I'll renew. What was I thinking? Silly me. And come to think of it, I'm going outside to smoke a cigar; right here, right now. My day's quality just picked up immensely.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 26, 2013
11:11 AM

Post #9574112

HURRAY< GO SYLVAIN!!!!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2013
5:51 PM

Post #9574721

We can always count on you Sylvain!! Thanks for renewing!! Would miss your humor otherwise!!

Right now I feel like I live in the tropics. We got pretty darn close to 100 degrees if not reached it. It was 95 at noon with high humidity and a slight breeze.

In other words...summer is here. lol

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9576771

Hey, all yous...

2 days ago, I was planning to smoke a cigar. I did and it poured buckets while I was enjoying my smoke. I was under the carport, so I didn't get wet at all. Gotta love that shade garden space I have created in there. To make it even more enjoyable, I added a few glasses absinth while smoking. It was either absinth or Ricard, but I decided to go with the more robust taste of absinth. Since it wasn't sunny out there, I decided to keep the Ricard for a more glorious day; pastis should be enjoyed on a sunny day, like they get in Provence. The cigar and absinth perked up my day immensely.

In other news, our snake Lucy is shedding; poor baby. Yesterday, she spent 2 hours laying on me with the tip of her tail tucked under my watch's stainless steel bracelet while I held her tail in my left hand. We play "I got you, you got me". It's very enjoyable. Gail spent most of the evening playing with Lucy last night. She just wanted to cuddle, be quiet and enjoy our company. Who knew ball pythons actually enjoyed cuddling? Treat your pet well, love it and it will love you right back. Treat your pet badly and make sure I never hear about it; 'nough said.

There was nothing worth watching on TV last night, so we watched a few episodes of Game of Thrones on the DVD. That is one very addictive series. We're almost done with the 3rd season, only 3 episodes left to watch. We can't wait to see the 4th season this fall.

I didn't remove any of those root beer plants, but their days are numbered. The rosemary only needs a trim because it has started encroaching on the neighbor's side, which is plant-free save for a pitiful hibiscus that was planted there 30 years ago and hasn't seen fertilizer since the Nixon administration. If there are no thunderstorms in Delray this afternoon, it's going to smell like root beer plant being ripped out. I have to plant some decorative gingers and some Rangoon creeper. It can't wait.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 28, 2013
7:26 AM

Post #9576785

Glad you got the Rangoon Creeper, Sylvain. Remember to put where it can sprawl, for it will. Just think of mine taking over the lanai.

Hugs

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 28, 2013
8:17 AM

Post #9576857

My Rangoon creeper was gorgeous this year. It's planted on an old palm, and I am now on my third set of trellis material. The trick is to find suckers(whoops--helpers!) to nail the continuing trellis 'up the palm. Admittedly I did plant the honeybell a tad too close to the palm, so I just rip out the offending branches.

Sylvain--I have gotten to the point of no return with people who abuse animals. WHY can't we do the same to them as they did to the animal? The joy that our dogs bring to us is priceless-and they have a friend sleeping over for the weekend!!

Debi
yellow hibiscus from Lowes mark down rack
blue green jade vine
Rangoon creeper(sorry I know it's sideways)
my new toy--yummy cukes, parsley, and wonderful zucchini -on to my second planting--oh forgot the lettuce!

Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes   Thumbnail by Debijaynes   

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2013
10:47 PM

Post #9579565

Hi Everyone! So glad to see all of you here! So glad to have the renewals. I too will renew this month...July. I would miss it way too much!

Sure wish my root beer plants would be so adventurous! They stay where they are.
Lack of care I'm sure. They only get water when it rains at the moment.

Great pix Debi!

So glad to hear from all of you! Hope you are doing well!

Jeanne
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2013
8:30 AM

Post #9581604

I just renewed too...I need to be on more..but still getting things under control. I'm finding it more challenging to keep up with things these days. Jeanne, hope you are feeling better.
Does anyone know if DG has ability to post stuff from smart phones?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 1, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9582640

Rj, you will just have to play with it. Some people can do almost everything and others can't.

Glad you guys are renewing!! Mine isn't up til later this year but I should still be around. I like it on here too much. lol

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2013
6:59 AM

Post #9583102

Greetings, everyone!

I don't have a smart phone because I see too many people struggling with them. They'll say stuff like:"It can be used to open sardine cans, but I don't know how." And I wouldn't want to have to admit to people that although I can use it to shine my shoes or scrub the crappier, I don't how to get it to do it. Vanity, thou art a heartless witch! So, I have a prepaid phone that doesn't even take pictures because they are:
a) cheap, and
b) I lose at least 2 or 3 every year. If this is the work of pickpockets, imagine the look on their face when they realized they have just risked jail for a piece of junk: priceless.

So, I guess you can view DG on a smart phone, but I can't give any enlightened advice, but I have no clue how this minor miracle is accomplished. I can view DG on my Google tablet without a specialized app, and for that I am thankful because most of those apps are disappointing. The worst offender in that category so far is The Weather Channel. I must have installed and uninstalled at least 3 versions of that program. It's easier to look through the window to see if it's raining, going to rain, mostly cloudy, partly cloudy, wall-to-wall cloudy, or sunny. Technology, thou aren't much better than vanity.

Take care, all.

Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 2, 2013
7:19 AM

Post #9583134

Hi Sylvain and all,

I have "Weather Bug " on my iPad and I think it's great.Give t a try.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9583428

First time on DG for awhile. Glad to see everyone is so perky.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2013
4:06 AM

Post #9604535

Aloha Everyone,

I have missed you all!

We sold our house in Hawaii and after a month of living like vagabonds our "stuff" has finally arrived at our new home here in NC. First box to be found was the one that held the computer and I am so happy to have it back again, even though I am sitting on the floor typing because we don't have any furniture unpacked yet this morning.

Moving was a nightmare of course because we had our "stuff" shipped to Los Angeles and then it had to be taken by rail (it actually went all over the country before it finally reached us here) and arrived yesterday morning. Unfortunately the big semi took out one of the stone pillars at the entrance of the driveway so the first job will be to find a stone mason for repairs.

We are enjoying NC even though there has been a ton of rain since we arrived. Very pretty with all the green woodland, etc. although I have already had it with the squirrels and the bird feeder that we put up. I did grease the bird feeder pole and we had a very amusing afternoon watching squirrels sliding down because they couldn't get a grip!

Just before we left Hawaii my brother came from WI and collected my Mother to stay with them during the packing up and the homelessness time frame. Unfortunately Mom seems to have gone downhill rapidly during the last few weeks and we are not sure that she will ever be able to come here, it's to the point that she was not eating or drinking anything for days on end and of course is very weak and fainting all the time. The doctors say there is nothing wrong with her physically although her dementia has increased rapidly. My brother and sister-in-law have hired a nurse to come in daily to care for Mom and that seems to be the best we can do for now. She has lost the will to live and asks to be taken to the hospital to be "put to sleep". She just wants to die and will not co-operate with eating or even getting out of bed now. Hopefully she will co-operate with the nurse better than she will with her kids. It's a real worry for all the family.

On a brighter note we are enjoying our new old house. It was built in 1929 by a local bootlegger. When one of the owners did some remodeling in the 70's they found secret rooms with stills still in place! The bootlegger was the first person to be convicted for running "white lightening" in NC and is a local legend. Everyone here in Hillsborough knows the "Rock House", as it is known locally, and the stories about Rigsbee and his shenanigans. It was a lucrative profession apparently, because we even have a swimming pool in the garden (now totally in disrepair) that has pink marble around the edges that was imported from Italy back in the day.

I hope everyone is well and enjoying their summer and I hope to catch up with you all now I have the joy of having a computer again.

Jenn

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 19, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9604637

What a fabulous find of a house!
My father had terrible dementia and words cannot express how much I feel for you. I have often said that I should write a book and detail all the things that are never told to you by the doctors and nursing staff. PLease feel free to contact me at any time if you would like to vent, scream or just talk. I have been through exactly what you are facing.
Debi

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 19, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9604720

So sorry to hear about your mother, Jenn. It must be a terrible heartache for you.

I will keep your family in my prayers.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 19, 2013
8:03 AM

Post #9604798

Jenn, I thought at least some of these things might be happening. I'm happy about the house; sad about Mom.

I've a stomach bug probably brought on by our excessive heat and humidity. More later.

hugs, katie

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 19, 2013
10:34 AM

Post #9604984

Aloha, Jenn.

I am so glad that you sold your house and resettled on the mainland. It must have been heartbreaking to leave paradise and relocate: difficult on you and everyone involved. Sending good vibes to you and yours. Settle in quickly and take your time. North Carolina... that's where I buy my cigars through the internet. Please keep in touch.

Big hugs.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2013
6:31 PM

Post #9605552

Glad to hear you are settling in Jenn!! I love the story of your new old house. Those are my favorite types of homes. Even when in total disrepair. Sorry to hear about your mother though.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

July 20, 2013
2:02 AM

Post #9605732

Glad that you had sold your house and settling.
Just in time to enjoy the super hot summer

Do you ave a big lot in your new place?

Sorry to hear about your Mom and hope the nurses can give her comfort.

Take care and keep in touch .

Belle
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2013
5:53 PM

Post #9613799

So glad to hear from you, Jen. Sounds like you and Frank have had another lifetime experience. Most of us dream of the day we can live on Maui. With all of the refurbishing you have done to the entire property I'm sure you had no problems finding buyers.

Sorry about Margaret's condition. Mike's mother was 95 last January and has been in assisted living for almost 3 years. Very sad. She has lost her sight and her hearing. Too weak to walk so she uses a Hooveround. She falls several times a week and we haven't been able to find a way to correct that. We use a geriatric specialist and he goes to see her. Tells us there is nothing "wrong" and nothing to fix. Advanced years.

Mike and I had to put down both of our dogs during this year. Couldn't stand it and now have two siblings barely 3 months old. They are so sweet but so much trouble. That's only temporary and they will soon be grown.

With the two of you at least in the States maybe a trip to Texas won't be out of the question.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9615762

Oh dear, the news of the hurricane is not good. Already lots of preparations for shelters and floods expected. Beautiful Maui and the other islands of Hawaii are right in the path of Flossie. God protect Your children.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2013 6:36 PM
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2013
8:45 PM

Post #9616976

Hi!
So glad to hear from y'all! So glad Jen that you are getting resettled OK. So sorry to hear about your Mom. Will keep her in our prayers.

My numbers are doing better. You can read about them over on the Prayer Forum.

Our weather has been in the upper 90's, but we've had alot of rain so the plants are doing well.

Jeanne
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9617826

That's good news, Jeanne. Pray God that the numbers continue to climb.

Debijaynes

Debijaynes
Marco Island, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 11, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9627381

Yes the heat has gotten to me. I finally admit it!
Does anyone know of any architectural salvage places in the south of Florida? I am getting ready to start the hardscape in the backyard and can salvage a lot of what I think I need.

Thanks-Debi
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9632457

Hey guys...I posted some pictures in trop zone gardening of what I suspect might be golden shower tree, let me know your opinions!
Rj
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2013
5:49 PM

Post #9640389

Where is every one?

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison   Thumbnail by rjuddharrison         

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 24, 2013
6:00 PM

Post #9640400

I'm here on hurricane watch. I was thinking about you today; didn't you get the message.

After several months of depression and arthritic pain frosted by a dog bite three weeks ago my mood lifted dramatically yesterday. What a relief.

It's been raining off and on since ten am, nice and slow with no wind. Hope this continues as the center of the hurricane has some serious winds. It's looking like it will stay west of us, but we could still get some wind.

I sure do like feeling better.

katie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2013
6:08 PM

Post #9640409

That looks cool there!!

Katie, hope the hurricane bypasses you and you only get rain.

I've been busy working and running around. lol. Gardens are a mess this year due to replacing siding and windows so everything is tromped on or if there are retaining walls there I let them go to weeds to hold the dirt in til we replace the walls eventually. Have the wood but the house needed priorty this year. So using weeds to hold stuff in. lol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2013
6:14 PM

Post #9640415

I'm goi g to have to do that soon. Katie. Is that part of trop depression reaching up here too
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 24, 2013
6:24 PM

Post #9640423

IVO is the storm we are dealing with now. There two more heading in our general direction. I watch the National Hurricane Center and IVO has a big patch of purple to the south of the center.

We did prep wok yesterday and today then wished each other luck and Tony headed home. My dogs don't freak out with rough weather so we're just hanging around.

katie
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2013
7:02 PM

Post #9640453

ugh...I hadn't heard that...guess I better take a look...not fun waiting on storms..
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

August 24, 2013
8:46 PM

Post #9640554

It's raining harder here but the hurricane has been downgraded to a tropical storm.

I still don't think I'm going to get much sleep. We're also having thunder. Luckily it doesn't bother the dogs. We're all just kind of hanging around waiting for the storm to pass. The worst will pass us tomorrow in the early afternoon.

hugs, katie
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

September 18, 2013
2:32 AM

Post #9662900

Hello Everyone,

Some news that is both sad and a relief in a way - Mom passed away Monday morning under the care of Hospice. I can't say enough how grateful we are to the wonderful angels from Hospice who took care of Mom for the last three weeks of her life. We had gone to sit with Mom as usual and realized that she had gone - she looked very peaceful so I think it was a gentle passing.

I am in a sort of fog at the moment even though we knew the time was fast coming...

Love to all.

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

September 18, 2013
3:07 AM

Post #9662904

Thank you for the update and sorry to hear of your Mother's passing.
Yes Hospice Nurses are very special, lots of compassion, knowledge and skills to take care of patient as well as family.

I was a hospice nurse for few years in between operating rooms stresses.

Praying for strength for all the days to come.

Missing somebody is hard!!!

Take care.

Belle

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 18, 2013
4:58 AM

Post #9662934

((((HUGS))))

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 18, 2013
6:41 AM

Post #9663015

So sorry to hear about your sad news. Prayers and positive vibes going your way.

Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

September 18, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9663210

So sorry to hear about your mom, Jenny. Glad her passing was peaceful. I know how much you will miss her. It takes time for the pain of the loss to fade. hugs, katie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 18, 2013
6:29 PM

Post #9663548

Oh dearest Jen. Margaret was such a consummate English Lady. I shall never forget how beautiful she was on her 80th birthday. I'm thankful that she went easily and quietly. My mother has been gone since 2004 and often I think, "Oh, I'll ask momma, she'll know." As close as the two of you were it will be sometime before you can fully grasp it. Thank you for coming back to DG and giving us the news. I have missed you and the great people on this thread. Should you want to, someday call me so we can chat. Since you have moved I no longer have your phone or address. I am happy that you and Frank are close to your daughter and your grandsons. Special people all of you.

PK
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2013
6:32 PM

Post #9663553

Sorry to hear about your mom passing on. Very glad it was peaceful. Hugs! Peppper
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2013
7:11 PM

Post #9667502

Glad she had you around! Hugs
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

September 26, 2013
4:43 AM

Post #9670487

Thank you all so much for your kind words, I am slowly getting back into the land of the living although I still have to go through Mom's clothes and things and take them off to the charity shop - I've been putting it off, which isn't getting the job done...

I haven't finished unpacking some of our boxes yet, but I have big plans for all that stuff now too - what is it that they say about eating an elephant one bite at a time?

We are just starting to feel the cooler weather, and both of us are frozen first thing in the morning when the temps are in the upper 50's - everyone keeps telling us we haven't felt anything yet! Quite a difference for us from tropical weather!

How is everybody doing - and what are you all up to?

Aloha,

Jenn

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 26, 2013
8:19 AM

Post #9670677

Aloha, Jenn and everyone else.

I have had the dubious honor of clearing my own mother's apartment after she went on to a better place. It felt as if I were snooping and doing something I had been raised not to do. My mom was by no means wealthy. She lived in a 1-bedroom apartment alone. She had a few jewels, which I quickly packed. A neighbor told me her TV had bitten the bust a few days before, so I told her to take my mom's TV and watch it in memory of her. Then, I called a charitable organization in Montreal and told them to come and get it all. Two days later, they showed up with a large truck, a team of 4 men and they cleared up that place until nothing but the hardwood floors and the dining room's chandelier remained. We already owned a house with too much furniture in it and my mom would have been pleased to know that her earthly belongings helped someone in need.

The second occasion came when I had to empty out of our house in Montreal, so I could move to Florida. Gail was already living at the condo. I was no longer working and I found that part of my life very difficult. I had held 4 garage sales on previous weekends and I was ready to strangle hagglers with the waffle iron's electrical cord. Before I acted upon my fantasy, I told myself I needed to do something quickly. So I called that very same charitable organization and they came and cleaned up. There was a lot of stuff and they pretty much filled the truck. Furniture, winter clothing, disused clothing, dishes, pots and pans, glassware, kitchen utensils, books, electronic equipment, you name it: it all was taken away in one fell swoop. The Florida condo was small and fully furnished. I moved a few essentials, but not that much. I am happy that those earthly possessions went to help someone in need, too. In trying times, there is no wrong in helping the process along. The end justifies the means, but it can be heart-wrenching. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Last night, Gail told me we were expecting a cold front. I asked her if I should pour a bit of vodka in my windshield washer's fluid. No, it's only going to dip to the lower 70s, said she. Oy, you don't know from cold fronts, I told her. I'll still dress in crocs, shorts and a white T-shirt. I know, it's after Labor day but this is Florida. We march to the beat of a different drummer, as far as wearing white is concerned. And you should see the wild get-ups the men wear on golf courses. You'd think the circus is in town. But I digress.

Undenounced to me, some kind of small wild critter had taken refuge inside our gas barbecue. When I got out to grill a steak yesterday, I mechanically turned on the burners. There was some wild thumping in there and the smell of burned hair. I turned off the burners and cooked my steak inside, under the broiler. I have to go out today and clean that mess up. I have no idea what it was. My guess goes towards a mouse or a squirrel. Maybe I'll be able to identify the remains, but I don't relish the idea of that clean-up. Time to man-up and get it done. Had I known of its presence, I would have removed a grill so it could run out before I turned on the burners. The whole thing makes me sad. This, too, shall pass.

Gail has expressed a taste for fire-grilled hamburgers tonight. I haven't told her about the incident. I would have upset her no end. It will all be cleaned up by the time dinner rolls around. There's always something... when it's not one thing, it's another.

Take care, all.
Pu'ole, a.k.a. Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 26, 2013
10:24 AM

Post #9670764

So sorry, Sylvain, of your mother's passing. It's the easiest thing to do and I'm sure that what my kids will do with my stuff. But, as you said it will go for the good of someone else.

Good luck on the cremation duties. I don't envy you one bit.

Kisses to Gail.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 26, 2013
1:07 PM

Post #9670895

Oh, Nancy dearest. That happened 24 years ago. Mom died in 1989 before I even thought of moving down here. I'm sorry I wasn't more precise on that point. But the memory of moving out of her apartment are still very present in my mind. It was hard.

Big hugs.
Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 26, 2013
1:27 PM

Post #9670917

That's me, always up to date!! LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2013
6:44 PM

Post #9671131

I've been busy working and I scored a good deal on a couple bushes at work so I bought those for a friend and planted them for her today. I'm trying to plant stuff in this front bed she has so she has something other than ugly grass to look at. lol. I've made progress with 2!! lol.

We've been remodeling our house here, replacing siding and windows. Started last year and hope, but doubt, to get it finished this year if you don't count painting. lol. Front is mostly done and we just have the north side to do. That side has all the meters and stuff so will be a bit more of a pain.

As a result of the remodeling my gardens have been smashed to dirt in some places so I'm just waiting til next year and will redo some beds. That is a job I've been looking for an excuse to be able to do and now have it!! LOL

Other than that I've been working on my truck and I just have 2 more planned repairs and replacements and I'm done til the next thing goes wrong. lol
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9671172

Jen,
So sorry to hear about your Mom's passing! I know you will miss her dearly! It takes time to heal from the loss. I still miss my Mom very much. I am so glad that I have my sister here to help fill the void. We talk daily. I will be praying for you! I know you were very close to your Mom also.

Amanda, bless your heart! You are always doing something nice for someone! You are just the sweetest person. God Bless You!

Oh, Sylvain, you poor dear! I am so sorry you had to clean up that mess! YUK! That would highly discourage me from cooking out for awhile...

I am OK. My blood is holding at 10.2. It is down a little from 10.5. I need to call about my iron results. I am still very fatigued and dizzy upon standing from the meds. I think I am a little stronger.

Take care everyone! I wish we could have a cold front. It was 93 today.

Jeanne

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

September 27, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9671574

Jenn, you know my thoughts are with you. I know how close you were to your mother. The pain will lessen gradually. I'm glad you're with family but you must be overwhelmed with all that has happened in the last few months. Please be sure to schedule time for taking care of yourself. This is a time to let it out, not suck it up.

My relatives and the attorneys took care of all my mother's possestions while I took care of her in Mexico. The gift for me was that our relationship, which had been difficult for many years got healed, and in a way that none of my siblings got close to. That is more valuable than the car, the houses, the jewelry, etc. Two of my sister of since died, one by suicide, one by "natural causes" after several suicide attempts. My last srviving sib is drinking herself to death while I have been sober for 27 years. Thank goodness for my neice who credits me with helping her to break a lot of the destructive patterns.

Right now I am in Chula Vista, getting ready for the trip home. This has been a very expensive journey with two major 2-3 days stops for expensive repairs. I was going to go to Oakland for a meeting of the Retirement Board but did not make. Probably just as well. I will be writing to the retirement association president about my experiences with his employees. It reminds me a lot of my child Welfare work where it took endless documenting to accomplish much of any benefits for the child(ren).

I'm seeing my doctor early this afternoon. I had blood tests yesterday and they all came out within normal limits. I'm feeling less than at my best but it's been a stressful (and expensive) trip with fewer accomplishments than I'd hoped for. There's always something, isn't there?

Jeanne, I think of you often. I hate the draggy, low energy times. I quickly forget that I have ever felt differently. One of Jim Croce's songs has the line "It has been so long since I felt fine" and it pops into my head all too frequently.

hugs to everyone and remember to hug me back, katie

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

September 27, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9671602

((((HUGS))))))

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 28, 2013
10:21 AM

Post #9672372

Hi.

At 205 posts and 1,679 views, I think this thread has served its purpose well. Please be so kind as to follow me on to a new thread at:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1335741/

See you all there.
Sylvain.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2014
10:53 PM

Post #9741296

So glad to hear from everyone...

Happy New Years!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America