South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Coming from here...http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278053/

Cider anyone?
I've made Allison's recipe 2 times already. ^_^

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Prayers here, Celeste.

Thomaston, CT

Praying for peace, Pixie...sometimes that's all we can do......Allison, sounds like a very bad day for you....Victor, my middle granddaughter was due on Halloween, but the doctor scheduled the C-section for the 27th.....Anni has very interesting parties! Cannot believe how much light is coming into my windows now that the pines are gone....nice now, not so nice when it's 90 out there......

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

prayers as well celeste

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

marilyn i thought about your moose when i saw this - http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2012/10/03/mass-police-shoot-moose-near-busy-highway/wen75E0wRbKkUu1CcOFRvJ/story.html

that is a pretty busy and crowed area for a moose.

Thomaston, CT

Yep, not a good place for any animal....that's pretty close to 495.....there was another photo of the moose in today's paper...he's now in the town north of mine.....there are thousands of acres of wildlife preserve there, so hopefully he'll stay.....

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I think I ran over a squirrel last night coming home from work. I know, it's not such a big deal, but I still am a little sad.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I always hate running over animals, gives me the heebie jeebies for awhile

Praying for comfort for you Celeste

anyone else allergies really acting up? I have to go back to the allergist, my eye is irritated and my nose gets really itchy and then stuffy and...well you get the point

Do we all have that cider recipe? I think NOT! Please share

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

My allergies are out of control! I could use the cider recipe, too.

South Hamilton, MA

prayers for your family, especially your brother, pixie. We know that you have done all you can for his morale.

Been dealing with a cold for the past week. Last night into this AM, my left eye would not tearing/hurting. Hardly got any sleep. Still all red. Never had that with a cold.

South Hamilton, MA

sympathy early in the year for colds unless one of the boys brought it home.

Thomaston, CT

No cold or allergies...just miserable sinus problems.....

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh my gosh, Victor, me too!!!! my eye is screaming bright red

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oh MY the traffic horrors!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I leave the house to meet my bookkeeper about 20mins north of here, tons of traffic, what the heck? come to find out major accident on the Tpk forcing all the traffic on back roads UGH

What would have taken 20 mins took me an hour and I got off the main roads and took back ones, come to find out 1 of the back roads is closed UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Please share the cider recipe, I was planning to make that for dinner tomorrow along with pork lime tortillas and pumpkin quesedillas

I hate driving in heavy traffic

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I just had a sneeze fit myself.. I am right there with you and the allergies.. here is the cider .. I added some fresh grated nutmeg to it as well .. I also recommend spiced rum to add in

;)

How to Make Hot Mulled Cider
By Kim Knox Beckius, About.com Guide
There's nothing more New England than the cinnamony scent of hot mulled cider simmering on the stove. Here are instructions for how to make hot mulled cider at home.
Difficulty: Easy
Time Required: 30 minutes
Here's How:
1. Pour one gallon of fresh cider into a large pot on the stove or into a crockpot or slow cooker.
2. Add a half cup of brown sugar.
3. Place 1 teaspoon of whole cloves, 1 teaspoon of whole allspice, and 3 cinnamon sticks on a square of cheesecloth and tie up. Add to the pot.
4. Heat the cider to a boil, stirring regularly. Leave the pot uncovered so that you and your family or guests can enjoy the warm, delicious aroma.
5. Once the cider boils, lower the setting to simmer for at least another 15 minutes to allow for thorough infusion of the spices. Stir occasionally.
6. Remove the spices from the pot and ladle hot mulled cider into mugs or other glasses designed for hot beverages.
Tips:
1. If you don't have cheesecloth on had, use a tea ball or a coffee filter to hold the spices.
2. Add a splash of rum or brandy to really warm up a chilly day.
3. For a decorative touch, you can stud an apple with cloves and allow that to float in your cider pot instead of adding cloves to your spice bag.
What You Need
fresh cider
whole cloves
cinnamon sticks
whole allspice
cheesecloth
large stock pot
brown sugar
ladle
mugs - - I added Orange Slices to the mug before filling
This About.com page has been optimized for print. To view this page in its original form, please visit: http://gonewengland.about.com/od/morerecipes/ht/htmulledcider.htm
2011 About.com, Inc., a part of The New York Times Company. All rights reserved.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I don't know if the one Louise made has anything different.. but hers rocked as well!!!

Thomaston, CT

This eye thing is not good ...woke up with swollen left eye this morning! What's going on? The cider sounds perfect....I'm entertaining a houseful on Sunday, & will make it....Debi, your choice of food sounds delish!

Wow - the eyes have it here. Mine is better, but still red.

Thomaston, CT

I have a stye caused by a blocked oil gland....what a nuisance....

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Ouch! Hope you feel better Marilyn!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Randy gets styes now and then.. hope all feel better!!!

South Hamilton, MA

At least you know what is causing the problem.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I've been reading about all your eye discomforts and am glad that none of them were "pink eye". So contagious and uncomfortable.

Thomaston, CT

Pink eye used to appear in school frequently.....never got it, but my son did at about age 9...

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

that's what I had about 2 weeks ago, thanks to my son but this time is totally different, looks a million times better today

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I believe this has been an exceptionally bad fall for allergies for many. Tues I got some relief from acupuncture. That's in addition to the medications and all. It has helped to reduce carbs and dairy in the diet too.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I get pink eye quite often.. thyroid eyes.. once i get the meds it's not terrible to deal with.. but the 1st day always stinks

Thomaston, CT

My eye is better today also....hot compresses work ..

This message was edited Oct 5, 2012 9:39 AM

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

saw a dead barn owl on the side of the road today walking with my wife - sad. beautiful bird

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

:(

Thomaston, CT

There are very few barn owls left....very sad.....

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

my deepest sympathies to Celeste and family... in the loss of her brother

:(

Thomaston, CT

He was taken so quickly.....peace and healing for her whole family......

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

My thoughts and prayers are added for Celeste's family. Glad he is at rest.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

My deepest sympathies to all of Celeste's family.
Brian is at peace...I pray that Celeste can find peace in her love and memories for her brother.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

prayers and hugs, Celeste.

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm so sorry Celeste.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

deepest sympathies celeste

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.