Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Raised vegetable bed ? about materials

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
etnredclay
Spring City, TN

October 3, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9294683

The bed is going to be 16"x3'x32' and against a chainlink fence, so access from only one side. This bed should be permanent. Even if veggies don't work here, or I'm bad at it, I can fall back on flowers, which I'm good at. So don't really want a temporary or haphazard solution to building materials.

Crossties are a sturdy option, 2 tall. The bed would require 18+/- ties. I could step/sit on the edge without worries. They'd last practically forever.

Unmortored cinderblock walls 2 blocks high might work. I could plant in the holes which seems gleefully efficient. But the whole thing might shift without mortor or a significant outlay of rebar in every hole. I'm not a mason, but a fair passing carpenter. Durable long after I'm gone.

Pressure Treated 2"x8" could be built 2 tall as well and sturdy depending on connecting the butt joints and corners. Fairly durable.

Untreated green 1"x8" or 1"x6" pine would be cheaper, wouldn't last as long as the three options above, and I don't see sitting/stepping on the edges. Would take up a significantly smaller footprint. But not durable in the long view.

Thoughts?
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9294710

I usually use pressure treated because I don't want to have to replace it as often. I'm sure someone will share the evils of using pressure treated wood, but an objective study will show the risk is minimal. Its your decision. Whatever makes you comfortable
abrich3
Butterfield, TX

October 8, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9299717

Would like info on planting and growing "Creasy" in the Southwest. Will it grow in the El Paso, TX. area where I am now located. I'm originally from the Mountains of Virginia where it grew wild and we enjoyed it immensly
fordpickup
Clinton, IN

October 13, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9304061

Etnredclay, You might check out the fake landscape timbers. I built a 4x16 raised bed for a daycare that looked nice and worked good . The lumber yards will have butt connectors and corner connectors for 1"and 2" boards. Hope this helps. Fred

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America