Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Propagation: Exactly how much of Aloe leaf is required for it to root?

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 9, Views: 181
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
2QandLearn
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9294772

Does it matter how close to the stem that they are cut off?
(I don't want to waste any leaves by not taking them off of the plant properly!)

I am thinking of propagating a few Aloe striata, IF I can be reasonably clear as to how to go about it. I *don't* want to waste any leaves! Or, damage the plant without getting a viable start to root!

Also, can older leaves that are starting to die back be used for making successful cuttings?

(I *am* looking for *details*. . . not just 'yes' or 'no' answers!)

Also, can *ALL* Aloes be rooted the *same* way from their leaves?
Or, are some not 'root-able' in this way?

Thank You for any info, links to info, & personal experiences that you are willing to share!

(The only time I have tried aloe leaf 'cuttings' was when a gopher ate out the entire center of an *ALOE VERA* plant, leaving the leaves with holes through their center...

I took off several leaves, until there was no more hole in those left, and set those still-attached leaves together --whole-- in some moist sand. It seems that the 3 lowest leaves rooted, as there are now 3 aloe rosettes in that pot. But, I don't think that I can get the ENTIRE leaves off of the viable mother-Aloe --which the gophers did by eating the stem out from between them-- without doing serious damage to 'her'. So, I am wondering how far back from the stem I can cut the leaves, for them to be able to root...

I'm not sure if I have to have ALL of the root intact (like the gophers left them), or, whether the cutting a leaf further out from the stem could also root OK.)

This message was edited Oct 5, 2012 12:01 PM

[24 viewers & counting . . . without 1 answer. Will I break a record?
Will I win a prize if I've asked something that no one else knows the answer to, either? (;]

This message was edited Oct 6, 2012 10:26 PM
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 8, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9299994

Ask palmbob. kb.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9326596

One comment. I've rooted Aloe Vera, by pulling the offshoots up, but not by individual leaves so I'm no help. Have you tried asking on the succulent forum?
lroot
Hollywood, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 10, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9329905

I do not know of any aloe that can be rooted from just a leaf. You need at leat part of the stem or as Doug said, from an off shoot.
2QandLearn
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2012
11:28 PM

Post #9339602

I know that I *read* that it 'can' be done somewhere ... not sure where ... but this is an example of what some are saying:

"Aloe Vera Plant Propagation: How To Start An Aloe Plant From *Cuttings* Or Pups" http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/aloe-vera/aloe-plant-propagation.htm

I still don't feel it could be true, but, I have been wrong before ...
... once in a *great* while (;

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9340261

I just stick it in the dirt and water. It'll root from a portion of the leaf.
SilkKnoll
Tuskegee, AL
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9341020

Maybe there is some confusion about what is being called "Aloe." Some plants with long, sword-like leaves will root from sections of the leaf, like Sansevieria trifasciata. Many plants will start from the base of a leaf (begonias, jade plants, African violets). Others root from modified stems that appear to be leaves (Epiphyllum). But I agree with the others who wrote that Aloe leaf sections won't root.

Any part of a plant that will produce both roots and buds has to contain meristem cells -- undifferentiated cells that can produce any part of the plant. Aloe leaves don't have such cells.

As for the sites you found that say they do, I'm sure you know that the internet has no truth or accuracy filters. Anyone with access to a computer with a modem can post internet articles. We've all seen more improbable things than rooting Aloe leaves: Once, when I mentioned to a new friend (who has a Ph.D. in horticulture!) that I had different colored peacocks, she asked me if I had "sunflower peacocks," which she was sure existed because she had seen pictures!

Thumbnail by SilkKnoll
Click the image for an enlarged view.

2QandLearn
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2012
2:08 AM

Post #9341050

*Sunflower* Peacocks eh . . . ? That's *hilarious!!!* Neighbors a block over had a pair of albino peacocks, and my uncle & aunt had the regular colored peacocks. Is there another color variety besides those?

*Thank you* for explaining about the requirement of a cutting having, "meristem cells -- undifferentiated cells that can produce any part of the plant."

I was hoping --beyond reason-- that I could propagate my Aloe striata from leaf cuttings. . .

Now I'm wondering IF there's a way to somehow get it to send out one or more pups.

This message was edited Nov 24, 2012 3:16 AM
2QandLearn
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 24, 2012
2:13 AM

Post #9341051

This is a picture of my Aloe striata's florette this past spring.

Thumbnail by 2QandLearn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lroot
Hollywood, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 28, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9345017

Aloe striata, if they do pup out, take a long time. I have several plants that are between 5-10 years old and they have not pupped. There is hope though. If you want more of them they are easy to grow from seed and are also readily available at many nurseries and even the big box stores. Growing from seed will most likely result in hybrids though but still intersting and beautiful (in my oppinion).

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 296 Sep 15, 2014 6:06 PM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America