Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cacti and Succulents: How would you price these?

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 11, Views: 350
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
liatris39
Sebastian, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9294877

I made these up for a craft fair at work.. The hypertufa pots are 9"- 11" across. I want them to sell, but don't want to give them away...
Cynthia

Thumbnail by liatris39   Thumbnail by liatris39   Thumbnail by liatris39
Click an image for an enlarged view.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9295181

Cynthia ~ your containers are very attractive and the assortment of succulents are a good choice for them.

It is very hard to price someones' product. There are different factors to consider... First, how much time and money you have invested. Second, you need to look at the area you will be marketing them.

Not always successfully, but I would price them at what you would be willing to pay for them if you were the purchaser. JMO Kristi

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #9295365

Love your pots. I, too, am about to make some hypertufa pots for sale.
I think podster has got the right idea. Take into consideration the material costs and your time. I have the tendency to under-price my work, so I think I'm going to start by adding $5. to $10. to the price I think is good. I've seen other people's work on the "garden art" forum and have felt they have under-priced their work also. I'd pay $25. for a 12" pot with succulents and that nice artsy touch you've added with the rocks and glass, and I'm so cheap! So maybe you should start with $35., LOL.
Keep us posted on how well they sell. With the holidays coming up you could do real well with them.
lovetropics
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 4, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9295559

I think those pots are gorgeous. I usually see them here in $40's range. You can give discount if a person buys more than one :)
Cassandra78
Bryan, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9297143

They're very pretty! My favorite is the starfish. I'd say $35-$40

~Cass
liatris39
Sebastian, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 12, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9331043

Thanks everyone. The craft fair is Dec. 7th. I'll let you know how it goes. My husband said, "Don't let this be like Viet Nam, you need an exit strategy if they don't sell. I hope you don't bring all this &#$% home." LOL I am going to price them around $23-$30 for the large ones. The small plants in "found-objects" will be $8-$12. More pictures soon.
Lia

Thumbnail by liatris39
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9332893

Good luck, Lia! They are beautiful!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9332920

I love those kinds of pots but I can't make them here. Too messy, against the "rules". Have you considered making just the pots and selling them?

As for these pots with plants, I wouldn't mind paying 25-30 bucks for the starfish one or the upper left one. I say tally up the cost of materials used to make them and go from there.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 14, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9333256

I agree with tikipod. I would like some of the pots too and would buy them without any plants in them.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

December 1, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9346765

Let us know how they sell. Thanks.
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

December 2, 2012
2:36 PM

Post #9347927

Your dish gardens are lovely! I really like that you haven't stuffed them so full of plants that they'll be too hard to water, or will need replanting in six months.

There are lots of variables in pricing as mentioned above, and I see similar size gardens selling from $30 - $50 here, depending on where they are. I think I'd ask $35 - $40, but you know who your clientele is and that will make a difference.

It would be great if you could let us know what you do get for them. I'm in charge of the Spring C&S Plant Sale for one of the groups I belong to and in addition to individual C&S we're making dish gardens for the first time, everything from mugs to those similar in size to yours. Ours is the week before Easter so we're hoping buyers will think they'll make nice little Easter or Spring gifts.
liatris39
Sebastian, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
5:10 AM

Post #9387899

Thanks every one who chimed in. The craft fair was a success! I took 32 designs only brought home 9! Marital Harmony Preserved! I just haven't told him about the used cement mixer I found online...lol

Thumbnail by liatris39   Thumbnail by liatris39   Thumbnail by liatris39      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America