Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Perennials: Need to transplant, but when???

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 5, Views: 120
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9294930

I have a Holly Hock, which volunteered, and a balloon flower that I planted thinking the seedling was something else. What it the best way to relocate them in my garden, and can I do it now, or is it best to wait until spring? The Holly Hock was such a surprise, it just sprouted in September and is blooming now! I had them in a container last summer [ 2011] I know that they aren't actually perennials, but since they do re-seed...
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9294966

Balloon flowers are almost impossible to transplant unless it is in a container. It has a root like a carrot, and unless you get it intact you will kill it.

Now, I found some balloon flower seedlings near my old plants, and since they were very small I was able to reach entirely under them with a trowel and get them out. And if your is in a container you can easily transplant them. But if they are even three inches tall it is too late to move them.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9297126

I transplanted 4 balloon plants just a couple of weeks ago, when logic would tell me that it was way too hot. I did, however, take plenty of soil and the rootball was intact. I suppose that is some advantage of having hard clay soil. (Even though I amend it a lot...) Anyway, they are thriving and did not even wilt.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9297258

You got the rootball! Bravo!
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9299795

Well I guess I'll give it a try with the balloon flower. It is too small to be seen where it is now, and I have been able to collect some seed from it to plant in the new location also, so hopefully one or more of them will survive! I want to move them to where my blue balloon flowers are currently. They have done very well, see the pictures.

Thumbnail by martyR   Thumbnail by martyR         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9299999

Oh, my goodness, yes they have. They are gorgeous!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America