D. Delight: spent bloom has four "buds?" growing from center

Ocean Grove, NJ

I'm letting my roses wind down for the year -- set seed -- here in New Jersey. One spent bloom of Double Delight appears to be producing four new rosebuds at its center. Can you tell me what this is? It seems like such an oddity that I'm wondering if it's likely to produce viable seed and if such seed would likely be worth germinating.

Thanks for any help.

Charlotte

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I suspect this is a case of rose proliferation, a temporary mutation that's usually blamed on sudden drastic changes in the weather. Sadly, it's not worth germinating. The link will show you some photos of the condition, which is temporary and probably will not show up again.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rose+proliferation&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Ge5sUIbpO4mtigL0qIGQDg&sqi=2&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1152&bih=617

Ocean Grove, NJ

Thanks for the info. I'm familiar with proliferation in daylilies, but had never seen it in a rose. I appreciate your sending the link.
Charlotte

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Zuzu is just the best!

Richmond, TX

Proliferation is interesting but not, to me, attractive. Would you really want to perpetuate it?

Charlotte, have you been successful at reproducing roses from seed?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.