Photo by Melody

Poultry and Livestock: Do hens stop laying in hot weather??

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 4, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9295040

This may have been on this forum before, however I have not found it. Don't know if hens have stopped laying because of the heat or if they are getting better at hideing them as they "free range" in our big yard??>
porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 3, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9295320

I never know why my hens decide to stop laying. Some people have felt that extreme heat has caused a drop in production. I recently remodeled part of the barn around the chicken coops which resulted in fewer eggs for a while - partly because they were laying them in odd spots, partly because they were annoyed (?) or perhaps because it was extra hot at that time...I never can outguess the ladies.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

October 4, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #9295437

Its that time of year when they slow up due to molting and less daylight.If you want them to continue to lay after the molt then you need to provide them with a light.They need 14 hrs of light a day.I put my light on a timer to come on in the morning at 4am.You can have it on a timer to come on a few hrs before sunset and then again a few hours before sunrise.Don`t have it turn of when it is dark out as they will not be able to see to get to the roosts.
Gazoodles
Iowa Park, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9296303

Our Buff Orpingtons definately lay fewer eggs when it is hot weather.. and we have had a lot of that.
dillansnana
Hemet, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9299447

Thanks for all your responses which I just noticed. We now have only four and they have been molting. Now that weather is cooler hopefully they will start laying.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America