-
AuthorContent
Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2012
11:10 PM

Post #9295374

We had a corn harvest for the first time this year. I cooked it as usual but it turned very dark gold and was like what my mom used to call "horse corn"... tough and sticky, very hard to eat, not very sweet.

What's up with this? Did I cook it too long? Wait too long to harvest? It's our first time... be gentle. :)
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #9295453

Two possibilities. 1. Harvested too late. Most likely if you planted sweet corn. 2. Not a sweet corn variety. Many of these are edible but have a an extremely short harvest interval.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9295570

any way we can salvage this?
mraider3
Helena, MT

October 4, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9296282

Janiejoy, my neighbor and I both plant the same variety of sweet corn since I provide the seed. My is generally sweeter than his and although we both irrigate using soaker hoses, I water more frequently and longer than he. Two tips I will toss back at you which I found really helps my corn harvest: (1) Plant corn seed 14-inches apart (Farmer Dill); and (2) try micro-waving an ear of corn for four minutes in it's husk, and freshly picked (gym girl). See if that doesn't give you the taste you are looking for less the toughness. Note: You can reduce the time by 1 minute for each extra ears, i.e.; two ears - seven minutes; three ears ten minutes.
Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9296729

thanks!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 8, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9327943

I wondered if it was field corn(yellow dent) that was planted...makes good roasted corn, or even a skillet of pepper corn. Lots of corn starch -needs liquid.!!! Could have just been too dry- and best harvested at break of dawn. Ready when the silks have turned brown and start to fall off dried.
mraider3
Helena, MT

November 9, 2012
3:22 AM

Post #9328540

kitt's, right I think on the moisture part affecting corn. Both the neighbor and I plant the same corn seed, and my corn is always better than his. I water my garden plants as necessary which is more often than he is able to. I have the luxury of being available 24/7 and my system allows me to back off or increase the water to each row as necessary. The only time I use a timer to water is when I make my fall harvest run to load up the kids, and any remaining plants, berries, and fruit trees can then be watered automatically. Because our soil is so porous corn in particular seems to need more frequent watering than package instructions. The neighbor comes home from work and saturates his garden with a system patterned after mine, and although his garden possibly receives as much water it doesn't produce as well for most crops.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America