Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Growing Marguerite Daisy from Seed

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 11, Views: 121
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

October 3, 2012
11:44 PM

Post #9295389

I am a complete beginner gardener. On 22 September I planted some daisy seeds in a container and covered with plastic wrap. Tiny green leaves sprouted after a few days, so I removed the plastic. However, nothing else has grown since. I have read that "true leaves" now need to grow - which would be the second set of leaves. How long does this usually take? The weather here is still very warm, so I have placed the container where it receives a few hours of direct sun, and a few hours of shade. Thank you.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 6, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9297885

It is hard to gauge how long as it all depends on temp, soil conditions, watering, and ofcource the seeds them-self, IF fresh seeds or old seeds.
I don't know what zone you are in so can only give general times.

I would say about 2-3 weeks from seeds being sewn, to germination and then onto to the stage they are, as you describe them.
At this stage you keep watering them WHEN required, I like to water seeds in containers from under the pots as this helps prevent things like (damping off fungus) this causes the little seedlings to die off, and it looks like a greyish mould that suddenly appears over a few hours and it causes the seedlings to fall over and Mould spreads to all the seedlings if not treated. This mould is caused by too wet soil, seeds growing far too close (over crowding) and cold conditions.

After another few weeks from stage 1. the seedlings will begin to grow a second set of leaves and within another few weeks these leaves begin to look like the proper adult leaves the plants should have. you still keep up the watering when required and leave the seedling in situation untill the seedlings look large enough to handle by lifting each little seedling out from the pot / container by using a pencil or similar instrument to help lift the seedlings from the soil, at the same time as lifting you hold each seedling by the leaf.
Never hold seedlings by the stems as they are very soft and you may cause damage and this in turn causes disease to set in, sometimes it is impossible to lift just one seedling and this is normal, but a small clump is fine so long as you lay them down and then with the help of the pencil or other implement of choice, to help you separate the clump of seedlings apart. after this you insert each seedling into it's own individual small pot or place several seedlings into a seed tray filled with potting compost filled to about half inch from top, once pots or trays have the seedling inserted and gently firmed into place, sit the pot or tray into a basin of water and allow the water to be soaked up and the soil changes colour, when this happens lift the pots/ trays out and allow excess water to drain away.
From that stage your seedlings should grow quicker, but again this will depend on temp, sun, shade, watering and this is difficult to show / tell as here in UK some seedlings are slower to germinate and then grow on all depending on season, light too makes a difference, it is just a case of keeping an eye on the seedlings, don't over do the watering but don't let them dry out either, don't keep moving them about , give sunshine each day but NOT baking hot.
Hope this helps a little and once you tell us where you live zone ect, it may be someone from your own area can give you better advice that suit's you better.
Good luck, don't give up IF you don't get great results first time as everyone had to learn.
WeeNel.
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

October 7, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9298472

Thanks for your message. I was thinking of leaving them in the container I planted them in, as I'm not sure I can handle the transplanting. Yesterday I noticed a third leaf on most of the seedlings, as per the photo.

Thumbnail by MonkeyFlower
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 8, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9299641

Ok, the bottom leaves are the ones that are the very first to germinate are any leaves after this 1st set, are classed as true leaves, that is, they will all be the exact same as every other leaf on this type of plant that germinated from the same seeds.
IF you do have to prick some little seedlings out and transplant them anywhere else because they are over crowded then when you use your pen / pencil to lift them you also hold the little plant by these first leaves as in most cases when the plants get going, these leaves fall off anyway and by holding seeds by this way, you don't damage the proper leaves or stems which are prone to disease if damaged.

The Daisy Family is a very large family of plants and all have the same type of daisy flowers but some have different leaf but are the same family, so not knowing what kind of daisy you have, where you live and what weather conditions you experience is hard for anyone to help further so my advice is more general hints and tips for growing, IF the daisy has large flowering blooms, then maybe container growing will not be the best idea due to the plants being overcrowded and as with some of the daisy family, what you sew and grow one year can multiply by 2-3 times the following year so just be aware that you MAY have to separate the plants out sooner than you think.
Good luck and happy gardening, enjoy your lovely daisy plants.
WeeNel.
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

October 10, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9301685

Thanks a lot for your help, very much appreciated. For my next attempt, I'm going to try and plant seedlings in small yoghurt containers, and then transfer them to a larger pot when they are a couple of inches tall. I've read that it is easier to control the density this way.
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

February 10, 2013
10:25 AM

Post #9414189

Regarding the daisy seeds I planted last September, the leaves are still growing, but somehow they don't seem to look like daisy leaves to me... is what is growing normal please? Thanks!

Thumbnail by MonkeyFlower   Thumbnail by MonkeyFlower   Thumbnail by MonkeyFlower      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 10, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9414236

Looks like shasta daisy rather than marguerite daisy (Anthemis sp.).
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

February 10, 2013
11:27 AM

Post #9414241

Thanks for that! Hopefully they'll be ok even though they're not thinned out.
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

March 11, 2013
6:45 AM

Post #9445584

Finally a flower!!!

Thumbnail by MonkeyFlower
Click the image for an enlarged view.

davidsl88
Worcester, MA

March 12, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9446971

Wonderful and congratulations - so gratifying for you when your patience and work pays off!
nelsoncastro
Victoria
Australia

March 17, 2013
8:49 PM

Post #9453015

davidsl88 wrote:Wonderful and congratulations - so gratifying for you when your patience and work pays off!

Patience indeed really pays off! Lovely flowers, it looks like it is a shasta daisy to me.
MonkeyFlower
Sliema
Malta

March 23, 2013
11:31 AM

Post #9459160

Thank you! :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America