Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: A Few Fall Roses....

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 15, Views: 239
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scottishgent
Conroe, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9295922

These first 2 roses are Black Magic, although not as dark as most photos.
Second 2 roses are Strike It Rich, and number 3 is Mellow Yellow.
I should take a photo of Vavoom soon; that rose is near the front, close to where the curve starts to make the front circle, and I've never seen a rose just "take over" :) ! I mean, Hot Cocoa is next in line toward the front, with a Gemini on the inside, and both of those plants were being overtaken !! 'Really a hardy and beautiful rose !

Thumbnail by scottishgent   Thumbnail by scottishgent   Thumbnail by scottishgent   Thumbnail by scottishgent   Thumbnail by scottishgent
Click an image for an enlarged view.

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9295944

Oooo, lovely roses. Can't wait to see Vavoom!

I need to get out in the garden w/the camera. Been so busy lately I haven't had time to stop and smell the roses. Thanks for sharing so I can stop and look at yours ☺!

Gabi65
Newcastle(NSW)
Australia
(Zone 10a)

October 5, 2012
1:37 AM

Post #9296361

Gorgeous roses! Wonderful photos, too! It is spring here and I had to hurriedly take some photos of my climbers, which a have managed to ensure will bloom at the top of the arbour, from where it is very difficult to see or get decent photos.

I was hanging onto one of the posts trying to reach up with the little fuji camera and pray I got it right. With some of them I did! The others were either out of focus or I missed the subject completely. Today they all have burnt petal edges, and I will go round tomorrow and deadhead them all as I have lots more buds.

The bright pink is "Souvenir de Mme Leonie Viennot"and the other is Climbing "Peace" I have Buff Beauty, but she is being reticent!

Thumbnail by Gabi65   Thumbnail by Gabi65   Thumbnail by Gabi65   Thumbnail by Gabi65   

terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9296577

LOL! Gabi65, you do quite well hanging on a post. That last photo is so clear. I have Souv de Mme Lonie Viennot, too. Very fragrant here.
MajiA
Kenner, LA

October 5, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9296621

Very nice images. With the cool weather setting in, the plants that went on survival mode during the scorching heat are getting back to flowering again.
Gabi65
Newcastle(NSW)
Australia
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2012
12:05 AM

Post #9299186

My Just Joey was still blooming in the middle of our winter - the 14th of July, to be exact! I picked the last one and then pruned her of the other eight she had produced. It had been the coldest winter in 10 years. Where I live is near the sea, and we don't get snow, ordinarily.

This year, the inland areas got a few falls.Usually one in the season is news!

Thumbnail by Gabi65
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MajiA
Kenner, LA

October 8, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9299509

Gabi... we in the Northern Hemisphere forget that the season patterns are opposite down under. I have a Just Joey bush and it does better during cooler months than the scorching heat of Louisiana summer.

Nice picture.
scottishgent
Conroe, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9321596

Thanks for the compliments, and Gabi65, those are some very nice shots too; I came soooo close to
including "Just Joey" in one of my much earlier orders, but was so overwhelmed by the selections that I guess I forgot :) !! BTW, 'proud owner of 7 Kordes (4 in the rose garden, 3 still in a container) + the one David Austin rose; the 4 in the garden are actually starting to pickup and perk up quite a bit ! Of the 4 that my sister had given me, one just died for some strange reason (probably someone didn't quite put enough time into them...), but the surviving 3 are doing great and have blooms.
My 2 cuttings (Seven Sisters & Sweetness) are doing really good too; I may have to again extend my garden back a few feet to accommodate the new roses (but, I'm removing a couple that only bear tons of very small roses, so that may give me a little more room too). Will give an update soon; 'have been turning the water on for a couple of hours lately every now and then, and those roses really take off !!
('Have to be careful about that, as we're in a mandatory odd/even watering district...(: ).
scottishgent
Conroe, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9322708

'Just a few more to add...
Vavoom
Gemini
Hotel California
Rio Samba
Vavoom taking over the place, even after being cut back...

Thumbnail by scottishgent   Thumbnail by scottishgent   Thumbnail by scottishgent   Thumbnail by scottishgent   Thumbnail by scottishgent

scottishgent
Conroe, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9322711

A few more, and I have to run...

scottishgent
Conroe, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9322714

The fourth rose above is a new Kordes rose.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9322723

I like that fourth rose, the color variations. Which one is it?
scottishgent
Conroe, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 20, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9362889

That's Mandarin Ice Terry; 'sorry I didn't get a better shot. I'm going to remove 3 plants from the garden that produce a large number of small buds and replace them with the Kordes roses.
'Sorry to have taken so long to have responded.
I've had black spot here really bad for a while, and it's tough fighting it, because it rains lightly every few days, and then the sky is overcast and there's not enough sun to dry the leaves off, but we're having a few "cold" spells (yes, I know you 'guys' up North would laugh at what we call cold :) ), which is great, because black spot doesn't flourish in lower temps.
'Hope you have been doing well, and your roses are looking great !
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 20, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9362963

Thanks, scottishgent. I'm sure I've told you before, but my favorite Kordes is Lions Rose or Lion's Fairy Tale. Good luck with the Kordes. They have some very worthy roses, IMO.

Merry Christmas all!
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9371342

Happy New Year, all! Luciee {;^)
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9373981

Why thank you, and Happy New Year to you, too!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America