Photo by Melody

Canning, Freezing and Drying: How long will it last ?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 3, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
autumn_prepper
Northern Lake County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9296110

I just made 2 pint jars of apple butter and applesauce and was wondering how long they will last without being processed in a water bath?
Thanks,autumn_prepper

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9296257

If you put them directly into the fridge, probably 4 or 5 days. You will not want to process them after tomorrow though, as food being processed should be done at the very freshest possible. You can always freeze it!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9321600

I've had big opened jars of commercial applesauce in the fridge for at least a couple of weeks (homemade never lasts long), and fruit butters seem to keep about as well as jam in the fridge for me (maybe a couple of months at the outside). Neither is likely to go "invisibly" bad... if you see mold or if you smell/taste something sour or alcohol-like, it's gone... but I bet your goodies won't last long enough to go bad!

Freezing does work really well for applesauce. We thawed a "forgotten at the back of the freezer" serving (from last fall) out this morning, and my daughter gobbled it up for breakfast.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

November 13, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9332618

I keep apple butter in the freezer and use it frozen. It is very firm but spoonable right out of the freezer and it thaws quickly enough to eat almost right away.
I am not sure how long apple butter keeps in the freezer but I would guess quite awhile. Like a year or so.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America