Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Perennials: It's too late!!! Don't do it!!!

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 7, Views: 176
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KsMirasol
Liberal, KS

October 4, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9296126

I have a friend and I feel really bad because I told her about the sale going on at the Santa Rosa website and now she wants to order 150.00 worth of perennials. I know if they were daylily's they would be okay but the others I don't think so. Am i wrong or is it still okay . We live in Liberal Kansas. Heck I don't even know our zone I've been told 5, 6 ,and 7 which I know just can't be. I love gardening but I never ever planted that late. I just recently started gardening again .So I am not sure please can someone help me. I don't know how long they would take to get here and she knows even less about gardening than me. I want to spare her hard earned money if I can. I would feel really guilty if everything just up and died. Anyone know??? Please help me on how to talk her out of it if it's too late. It already feels chilly here.

Thank You,

Martina

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9296221

I'm in the middle of planting hundreds of plants myself...I'm in Z5 just changed to z6...the main thing is to get them planted and watered in good before winter sets in. And if she wants she could mulch, this would give the plants a bit more time to get knitted in and roots growing...Plants will continue to grow underground until the ground is solidly frozen...Here where I am this could be Dec...it just depends on the local weather...And ten again I've planted in Jan with 70* temps...What types of plants is she looking at and are they bare root or potted?

I've got trees, shrubs, perenns, roses, and clematis going into the ground in the next few weeks, but then again most of my plants have been in pots waiting for it to cool off and get them into the ground...Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9296229

i always go by 7 days above 50 degrees, as a matter of fact I have some sitting in pots from SRG that I cannot plant until Monday,because it may freeze this weekend.
The ones I have will take 40 degrees or above and be rooted in easily, if it is raining in the 50's that is all the better.
KsMirasol
Liberal, KS

October 4, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9296231

They will arrive in 4 in pots. Monarda Bee Balms, Dianthus, Aquilegia, Sedums, Veronica, Gaillardia, Gaura, Hibiscus Moscheutos, Penstemon, Scabiosa, Coreopsis, Well I guess I will just have to help her get them in as soon as they get here.

Thank You,

Martina

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9296246

So you will be seeing a 7 day or so time when the temps are about that?The Sedums and Hibiscus enjoy the hot summer temps, Only I believe if they are in the sun they too will be okay.
Temps here have been mostly 45 to 65 degrees for a couple of weeks and the Penstemons I have are only now growing like grass, they like really seem to like these temps being lower. As do the ice plants.!
Good luck to you and your friend in the garden, and be sure to return to say how it goes.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9296286

Mulch the Guara, the Dianthus and Aquilegia are both spring bloomers and love the cold, all others are very hardy and should make it thru the winter just great. The only tidbit I have is next spring tell your friend not to worry, the hibiscus will be the last plant in the spring to show growth, they are always late...Good luck and happy planting, if possible dig the hole and get a small bag of peatmoss to mix in the backfill...plants love it and will grow and fill out faster...I use 5-10 bales of the stuff for planting every year...Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9296289

I think most of those plants should be fine, they are pretty tough. There are a couple I'm not sure of, possibly the guara which has never come back for me, and I'm not familiar with the Hibiscus. Maybe someone else here knows it. But the rest are hardy favorites in my garden and I move them around all the time and get away with it.

I've just started doing my planting, transplanting and dividing, as I do after the heat of summer is over every year. Last fall I began using a root stimulator so the plants know to focus on that rather than trying to make top growth before winter sets in. The plants really took off once things warmed up again in the spring. I've had great luck using SuperThrive, Home Depot has it. My other favorite is Rootblast, which I've only found on line at Amazon and at Rootblast.com.

Good luck!

Pam
KsMirasol
Liberal, KS

October 4, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9296315

Wow, you learn everyday!!! Thank you all for your info. My friend went ahead and ordered. Guess who is helping?? Me, yes I made her catch the bug. Good thing I don't have the money to spare because I would then have lot's more planting to do besides helping her, and you all would be to blame, giving the go ahead. LOL!!! Tough talk for someone who just got out of the hospital, but I am in til the end with my buddy
Thank Again

Martina aka KsMirasol (Kansan Sunflower)

Thumbnail by KsMirasol

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America