-
AuthorContent
autumn_prepper
Northern Lake County, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9296224

I'm looking for beans that I can just grow,dry ans store..would be using them in the future for soups,stews and chili...
What do you suggest
Thanks autumn_ prepper
DougBert
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2012
9:52 PM

Post #9312754

"DARK RED KIDNEY BEAN 95 days - A great bush variety of dried bean that can be used for baking, soup or chili! Each pod contains 5 large, red, kidney shaped beans that store well.

GREAT NORTHERN 65 – 90 days - A heavy yielder of “navy” type beans that dates back to 1907. The 2 foot plants produce straight, 5 inch pods with 5-6 thin, white seeds enclosed. Excellent for soups or baking.

NAVY BEAN 85 to 100 days - A small, delicious, white bean that can be used in soup or for baking. Will not "mush up" when cooked. The 16 to 24 inch bush plants are heavy yielding and very well adapted for the U.S. "

These are my favorites directly quoted from my favorite heirloom and purchasing web site http://www.heirloomseeds.com

Okay I and I have to put in a seed for my favorite canning, freezing, and fresh eating bean of all time:

"LAZY WIFE 78 days - This very popular heirloom was introduced by German immigrants in the early 1800's; it was given that name because it was the first snap bean that did not require de-stringing! Straight, 5" pods bear heavily and continuously until frost. "

I apologize for the name but, Oh my Gosh, they are prolific and awsome. I have ten foot bean Trellis's and ten feet isn't enough.

I buy almost all of my seeds from this company. As far as I am concerned they are the best heirloom site on the web!!!! http://www.heirloomseeds.com

“While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, and day and night shall not cease.” - Genesis 8:22

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9313487

Kentucky Wonder, another that you might consider, Sometimes if you pick them they seem to produce more ,only in different years it has all been the same outcome here.
Years that I had rotated or prepared a good set for them they did really well,with what amounts to no care at all,real nice old heirloom .There a lot like the white soup beans ones people spice up and add to chili ,the common store bean., you know.
Only they taste better if they have not been stored for 5 or 6 years!.or freeze them green. Good years ,I do either.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9314244

DougBert, as Ronald Reagan used to say "now there you go again!" Another cool heirloom seed nursery I just have to try! And I don't even have my seed catalogs for Christmas holiday shopping yet! ☺

legallyheidi

legallyheidi
Griffin, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9340901

Alice Sunshine beans, black eyed peas, purple hull peas, kolonis purple beans are all great to dry and use later.
ncredbird
Greeneville, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2014
4:05 PM

Post #9780373

In this area of the South the Turkey Craw is one of our favorites. You can eat them as stringless green beans or dry shell beans, which are a very pretty color. You can read about them @ http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestore/bean/Bean-Turkey-Craw-OG.html I have a 3# coffee can full of them if you would like some to try out.

This message was edited Mar 4, 2014 2:49 PM
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 4, 2014
9:16 AM

Post #9781656

The link doesn't work for me, but they sound like fun. They would complement my Turkey Chomp tomatoes.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 22 May 19, 2014 7:30 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America