Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Winterberry holly tree?

Madison, IN(Zone 6b)

I'm interested in featuring natives in my front garden redesign. Our front garden is really small - there are probably 10 feet of space in front of our house before the sidewalk starts. At that size, i'd rather plant a shrub that can be trained as a tree than to let the shrub branch out at the ground level, effectively eliminating the possibility of a path through the garden once it reaches full size.

My favorite native shrub is winterberry holly, and i would really like to plant a couple (male and female) to add some winter interest to our block. Has anyone here trained winterberry holly as a tree, or do you at least know enough about the plant to hedge an educated guess about whether or not it takes heavy pruning and shaping well?

My thinking is that a shrub tree would fit better in the garden than a small *tree* tree, and we really need some canopy and height in that garden. So I hope this is a workable idea! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Rolesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Its growth pattern makes tree-forming a bit of a challenge but I have seen it done and it was lovely. As long as you're up to the challenge I'd say go for it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.