Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Landscaping: Winterberry holly tree?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 1, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
indianabanana
Madison, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2012
9:44 PM

Post #9296319

I'm interested in featuring natives in my front garden redesign. Our front garden is really small - there are probably 10 feet of space in front of our house before the sidewalk starts. At that size, i'd rather plant a shrub that can be trained as a tree than to let the shrub branch out at the ground level, effectively eliminating the possibility of a path through the garden once it reaches full size.

My favorite native shrub is winterberry holly, and i would really like to plant a couple (male and female) to add some winter interest to our block. Has anyone here trained winterberry holly as a tree, or do you at least know enough about the plant to hedge an educated guess about whether or not it takes heavy pruning and shaping well?

My thinking is that a shrub tree would fit better in the garden than a small *tree* tree, and we really need some canopy and height in that garden. So I hope this is a workable idea! I'd love to hear your thoughts!

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9297541

Its growth pattern makes tree-forming a bit of a challenge but I have seen it done and it was lovely. As long as you're up to the challenge I'd say go for it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America