Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: How to get a plant to go dormant

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 7, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
green76thumb
Radford, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
11:49 PM

Post #9296341

I have a lovely Orange Jasmine plant (Jasmine paniculata) that's in a pot outdoors. I know the winter will be too cold for it. In the past, I've brought it indoors for the winter, but where I am now, I don't have adequate space or light. How do I go about getting it to go dormant so that I can store it in the basement until spring without light? I'm afraid if I leave it outdoors too late in the fall, the cold might kill it. Thank you for any help you can give me!!
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 5, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9296467

Is your plant Murraya paniculata?.
Tropicals don't have a dormant period in the sense that temperate zone plants and trees do. Mind you, tender roses don't either (due to hybridization with rose species that have no dormancy), yet they can be stored successfully in a dark coldroom for the winter... couldn't say if this would work for it.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9296474

Any reason you couldn't set up some lights for it in the basement? A plain old cheap fluorescent shop light from your local big box store should work fine for the winter. Don't know how cold your basement gets, but since you're in zone 7 I doubt your basement would be cold enough to kill it so if you can rig up the lights it ought to overwinter just fine.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 5, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9296479

If the advice is to keep it in a non-dormant state under lights (which, by the way, would be best at much higher intensity than one fluorescent shop light), then why not just keep in a window or sun room?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9296491

I suggested lights in the basement because it sounded like there were space issues that prevented storing it somewhere better. A window or sun room would of course be better if that's available.
green76thumb
Radford, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2012
10:23 PM

Post #9297184

I don't have a sun room or bright window. Space IS an issue.

I was hoping to avoid the expense of keeping it in the basement, because it would probably require me to burn 2 or 3 of my OLD (dim) shop light bulbs to keep it healthy. It does get pretty cold down there too, especially if the door blows open

Yes, it is Murraya paniculata.

Does this plant not have a dormant period?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9297416

No, as altagardener said above it wouldn't have a dormant period like colder climate plants do. Tropical/semi-tropical plants will do best over the winter if you can keep them in an area that stays warmish and continue to provide them with light, water, etc.

I have no idea what would happen to this one if you do try to force dormancy by sticking it in the dark basement--there probably are some types of more tropical plants that can handle that sort of treatment, but unless you hear from someone who's successfully done that with this particular plant (or if you're willing to take a chance on it not making it through the winter) I would try to find an alternative.
green76thumb
Radford, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9297728

Ok, thank you!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America