Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Landscaping: How to plant under a tree with many roots in the ground?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 3, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Melthyme
Modesto, CA

October 5, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9296945

A friend of mine would like to add some plants to an existing planter bed. The planter is about 4'x 12' in deep shade. There is a nice Japanese maple in the bed, and a very large tree in the lawn about 15' away. The planter bed has many tree roots in it, and it is hard to dig holes large enough for new plants (one-gallons or smaller).
Has anyone dealt with a similar situation?
I'm thinking I don't want to attempt to cut away any tree roots as this is probably not good for the trees especially the Japanese Maple. The only solution I can think of is to plant six-pack sized starts of one ground cover, and let it fill in. The friend really doesn't want to remove the plants that are already there. She just wants to fill the empty spaces.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thank you

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9296987

Seeds...lol. yup tree roots form maples can be a tough area to lanscape...or like you say...small ground cover plants..

I started out with Viola Johnny Jump Ups, a tray of 72...then I let them reseed at will and now I have hundreds if not a thousand or so...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Melthyme
Modesto, CA

October 5, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9297058

Thank you, Warriorswisdomkathy. I love your Viola Jump-ups!
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9316436

We learned in Master Gardners' class to buy a bag of soil, place it under the tree (do not remove soil from bag) and slit holes in the bag where you want to place your plants. After planting mulch with pine straw to hide the plastic bag.

Remember if you cover the roots of some trees, they can die so you may want to plant around some of the roots.

Hope this helps.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America