Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: Help identifying large forb in East TN roadside

Bulls Gap, TN

Can anyone please identify this large herbaceous plant found growing roadside in E TN? Plant is appx 15-20 feet tall. Leaves are opposite with complete or very slightly dentate margin, slightly hairy; leaf stems are hollow. I have not seen blooms on this plant to help with ID. Thank you so!

Thumbnail by mbbtn Thumbnail by mbbtn
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Probably Paulownia tomentosa.

Bulls Gap, TN

It doesn't look like the empress tree; I can see the similarity but this is herbaceous, not woody...Thank you though!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Paulownia can grow up to 15 ft a year. Your picture looks like one that was cut to the ground last year so it's regrowing from an established root system. The new growth will look green/herbaceous at first but will become "woody" as it matures.

Bulls Gap, TN

Thanks!

Austin, TX

Quote from mbbtn :
It doesn't look like the empress tree; I can see the similarity but this is herbaceous, not woody...Thank you though!

The young growth does, indeed, appear herbaceous. The stem turns woody when the growth halts.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto to Paulownia tomentosa.

Resin

Austin, TX

Quote from TomH3787 :
Paulownia can grow up to 15 ft a year. Your picture looks like one that was cut to the ground last year so it's regrowing from an established root system. The new growth will look green/herbaceous at first but will become "woody" as it matures.

This comment deserves a bit of clarification. If a paulownia tree is cut down the new growth shoots up incredibly fast. The last time I cut mine down it grew 23 feet that year. Thereafter, it hardly adds any height at all, spreading out instead. Additionally, the leaves are very large the first year but reduce in size in subsequent years.

Bulls Gap, TN

Thanks to all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.