Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Hibiscus what type please

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 2, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gwizard
Belle Chasse, LA

October 6, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9297458

Sorry I am unable to post pic but will describe. Hibiscus is a double apricot or bright orange color. Does not have shinny leaves like my other tropical hibiscus but 2-3" dull leaves with serrated edges. rather large plant. I purchased it this year from Home depot because I fell in love with flowers. The flowers tend to hang their heads when in bloom. Could this be a hardy hibiscus??? I have seen some that look similar growing in my area and they are planted in the ground.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9297484

Double apricot/orange suggests to me that it is tropical hibiscus (H. rosa-sinensis). Of the commonly available hibiscus species, the tropicals are the only ones that come in orange--the other species (hardy hibiscus, rose of sharon, Texas star, etc) come in some combinations of red/pink/white but don't go orange. Maybe with some of them you could get a sort of peachy-ish pink, but it would be more on the pink side not really orange. I also am not aware of any double-flowered hardy hibiscus (H. moscheutos).

I have quite a few tropicals and some of them don't have shiny leaves, so my money would be on it being a tropical. You're close to the Gulf so I expect you're in a warm enough zone that tropicals would survive the winter outside (at least most of the time--if you had a super cold snap that might kill them, but a typical winter they would likely make it)
gwizard
Belle Chasse, LA

October 6, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9297658

Thanks ecrane3 I suspected this was a tropical hibiscus. I have it in a large pot now but want to put it in the garden. I am going to give it a try since I am in zone 9A too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America