Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gwizard
Belle Chasse, LA

October 6, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9297458

Sorry I am unable to post pic but will describe. Hibiscus is a double apricot or bright orange color. Does not have shinny leaves like my other tropical hibiscus but 2-3" dull leaves with serrated edges. rather large plant. I purchased it this year from Home depot because I fell in love with flowers. The flowers tend to hang their heads when in bloom. Could this be a hardy hibiscus??? I have seen some that look similar growing in my area and they are planted in the ground.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9297484

Double apricot/orange suggests to me that it is tropical hibiscus (H. rosa-sinensis). Of the commonly available hibiscus species, the tropicals are the only ones that come in orange--the other species (hardy hibiscus, rose of sharon, Texas star, etc) come in some combinations of red/pink/white but don't go orange. Maybe with some of them you could get a sort of peachy-ish pink, but it would be more on the pink side not really orange. I also am not aware of any double-flowered hardy hibiscus (H. moscheutos).

I have quite a few tropicals and some of them don't have shiny leaves, so my money would be on it being a tropical. You're close to the Gulf so I expect you're in a warm enough zone that tropicals would survive the winter outside (at least most of the time--if you had a super cold snap that might kill them, but a typical winter they would likely make it)
gwizard
Belle Chasse, LA

October 6, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9297658

Thanks ecrane3 I suspected this was a tropical hibiscus. I have it in a large pot now but want to put it in the garden. I am going to give it a try since I am in zone 9A too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America