Photo by Melody

Orchid Cactus: Any ideas what may be eating my babies?

Communities > Forums > Orchid Cactus
bookmark
Forum: Orchid CactusReplies: 10, Views: 104
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9297474

Went out this morning and noticed my Disocactus cuttings have been visited by something…Don't know what…Any ideas? Seems to have "chewed" some holes into the leaves, and appears to have left some residue? I thought it may have been dirt, but it doesn't 'brush'off. I don't know if it's related, but I also have a Geranium nearby that has been 'chewed'. Have you seen anything like it before? Any ideas are appreciated! I'm at a loss….

Thumbnail by tlm1   Thumbnail by tlm1   Thumbnail by tlm1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9297759

Tim: definitely you are being visited by snails. They are quick to cause ugly damage that permanently leaves cavities and holes in your greenery.
Pick them off or set out some dishes with beer or some other liquid that will drawn them in and allow them to drown. There are insecticides for them but that's a slower method. Also check your plants for tomato worms. I found one foraging on my epies last week in the greenhouse--I have never seen this before. Good luck friend. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9297786

Thanks so much…We have been very wet here lately…Rain on a daily basis. I'll for sure keep my eyes open for snails….And Slugs….What bothers me though…The railing that I have these cuttings on is at my deck…A good 8ft. above the patio. Though I guess heights don't bother these critters! Thanks for your input…I'll certainly keep my eyes wide open for them!
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9298234

Something else about this is bothersome though…The 'material' that was left behind on the leaves…I've never seen any similar 'excrement'? from Snails or Slugs before. Hmmm...
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9299038

Tim: I've seen the black soot like material which I thought might be the snail slime as it ages? Don't know for sure but the gnawed areas sure look like snails to me.

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
4:32 AM

Post #9299244

OK…Thanks. :-)
ginger749

November 10, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9329899

How are your babies looking now tlm ?
Please keep us up to date.

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9329909

I'm sorry to say…Not so good…The area affected in the initial pics are now completely gone. I really think it is something other than snails. This is the only plant that is on my deck that has been affected by this. Snails for the most part, I believe, attack anything and everything in the vicinity. I'm truly at a loss. I'm adding the most recent pics of this cutting.

Thumbnail by tlm1   Thumbnail by tlm1   Thumbnail by tlm1      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

November 10, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9329930

Have you seen any of those huge grasshoppers around? I'm finding them on everything lately.
ginger749

November 12, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9331511

Could it possibly be a Moose licking your plant ? ^_^
I am told they have really rough tongues.
Much like really rough sandpaper.
This BBQ plate is licked clean every time I leave the hood open.

Thumbnail by ginger749
Click the image for an enlarged view.

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 12, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9331603

Tim: I would repot my affected plants and check the soil for any critters that may be hiding. Snails most often would select one plant, do their damage and move on.
This is how it is in the greenhouse. I have also found tomato worms eating on my plants. Another guess would be bacterial infection but I feel you would see rot on the edges of the plant. bob

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America