At last! Some roses...

Pretoria, South Africa

Hi everybody,

I enjoyed all the lovely photos you shared this past Summer (our Winter).

Thought I'd upload a few of my roses. Our Spring was off to a slow start, with a few unusually cold days as reminder that Summer isn't officially here yet. Then, a heat wave. Needless to say the roses aren't that impressed. Especially my "newly planted" David Austens. They wilted during the heat of the day, but recovered later in the afternoon. At one stage I had my sun umbrella pitched to keep the worst of the sun off of them...

I will start with one of my favourites... Towering Rose Magic. The fragrance reminds me of Turkish Delight. (First two foto's) Followed by Sharifa Asma.

Thumbnail by Elsa123 Thumbnail by Elsa123 Thumbnail by Elsa123
Pretoria, South Africa

Brides Dream has beautiful buds, and open up to soft pink, very feminine flowers.

Next is Born-2-Care. The flowers stay very firm, and last very long on the bush and in a vase. Only negative is the way the flowers discolor when the sun shines on them. They turn a dark pink. I like the soft pink more.

No. 3 is Bewitched. South Africa's top rose grower, Ludwig Taschner recons she is one of the top 5 for fragrance, but mine doesn't really have any.

Can't go wrong with Duftwolke (no.4) if you want to grow a rose for fragrance. She is one of the three - Towering Rose Magic, and Sharifa Asma are the other two - most delightfully fragrant roses to grow.

No.5 Lavender Midinette. No fragrance, but a real show-off.

Thumbnail by Elsa123 Thumbnail by Elsa123 Thumbnail by Elsa123 Thumbnail by Elsa123 Thumbnail by Elsa123
Pretoria, South Africa

I also have Burgundy Iceberg, and Deloitte and Touche (photos 2 and 3).

My Granny is no.4.

No.5 is a red NOID, that is a darker red than in the photo. This one is a cutting I took about four years ago. The flowers keep forever on the bush and in the vase, but they don't have very much of a fragrance.

Thumbnail by Elsa123 Thumbnail by Elsa123 Thumbnail by Elsa123 Thumbnail by Elsa123 Thumbnail by Elsa123
Pretoria, South Africa

My David Austins... They are grown in a large container that my DH made me.

They are as follows - Eglantyne (big flowers), Mary Rose, Tradescent and Winchester Catherdral. Unfurtunately they don't have much of a fragrance, but accoeding to Ludwig, one must give a rose at least one season in a new spot to settle. Holding thumbs...

Pretoria, South Africa

I will add more photos as my roses open.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9b)

Lovely! Thanks for sharing a bit of springtime with us.

Pretoria, South Africa

Pleasure...

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Elsa123, I've found the same with fragances. Especially with the Austins. I have a brand new Graham Thomas that seems to have little fragrance at the moment. Next year.....

Pretoria, South Africa

Holding thumbs,terri_emory...

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

But are those pricking thumbs? ☺

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images