Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Daylilies: containers for daylily's (safe?)

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 15, Views: 166
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KsMirasol
Liberal, KS

October 7, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9298798

I hadn't planned on having anything to fall plant. My questions is if I don't have a bed ready for fall planting my daylily's or any perennial for that matter "Can I put my daylily's in containers til spring, will they survive? I have a lot of perennials and some daylily's in 4 in. pots and wanted to put them in bigger pots til the spring. Will that work? I did have a small bed but filled it with some plants given to me. I only have room for some daylily fans someone is kindly giving me but I don't think I can do all the others. Should I ask about the perennials on the other form??? Thank you for any advice. It is getting really cold here which is unusual. I just don't know what to do.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2012 3:36 PM
DaylilyOma
Harrod, OH

October 7, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #9299158

I am no pro at gardening but I was told years ago that the daylilies needed to be in the ground and not in pots. I am in Ohio (zone 5) and that might be different from where you are compared to our winters. Personally I would not trust them in pots for they would freeze. Perhaps another member can prove me wrong and that would be good for I wanted to do a similar thing but was told I should not do so.
Sorry I am not more help to you.

HazelCrestMikeB

HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9299241

KsMirasol, 4" pots are very small if you want the Daylily roots to grow over the winter. If the D/L are the "dormant" variety they can survive the cold better than the evergreen and semi-evergreen type. Perennials in those small pots is not a good idea either. Obviously the plants are very small since they are in 4" pots. My suggestion = if you can find a small area to put them in the ground till next spring they will have a better chance of surviving.
Mike
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9301128

K.. I moved over this past Year. I wintered over a Lot of dayliles (stripped the place that I had gardened for 30 years) I had each in qt to 1/2 gallon pot...sunk some in the prepared garden. Couldn't find enough pick axes to dig in the clay (I didn't know that it was clay...check All of ground before you buy) The rest (in large pots were tipped on their sides or at least at an angle ..covered with row cover and leaf mulch and straw..After a freeze. Now this wasn't 100%..some were tipped upright (probably by me walking too close and kicking pot..lost those to crown rot)
The ones that were in the smaller pots were the ones that were certain to be dropped in holes in the garden with the crown level just at ground level..seemed to keep temp even.
The main thing for me was to try to keep temp even and prevent freeze thaw heave from the pots.
Good luck, I am racing mother nature to get other perennials into the ground..
For perennials that shallow rooted..better to get them into the ground ..heave has been issue in the past ,esp with plants that form rosettes,.
Good luck and have a good dormant season.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9301474

KsMirasol, I put daylilies in pots last year in the spring, as I didn't have any place to plant them. They overwinted really well in the pots, but most of the pots were big, about 11" in diameter. And, of course, since I potted them in the spring, they had a whole season to develop a good root system.

I have daylilies in pots that I sell. Every year I have dozens of pots overwintering, and so far no issues. I've had some perennials in smaller pots die over the winter, but most of those overwinter well, too. You could 'heel in' your daylilies. That might work better than pots at this late date.

Last year I potted up some daylilies really late. They had been soaking in water for a really long time. I ended up losing a few to crown rot. The potting soil was really wet, it turned out. I had a suspicion that might happen, but it was my own fault for not getting them planted much sooner.

I think it also helps to keep them in a protected area, although I have many that are not, and they still do well.

Karen
KsMirasol
Liberal, KS

October 10, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9301708

Thank you all for the info. They weather went to back to warm and beautiful but a little chilly at nightime. I think It will be okay!!!
Okay dummy question Karen. "What do you mean by heel them in??
Marcia yeah I thought about doing something similar to what you are talking about.
Mike guess what? My hubby , my night in shining armor said I could use his now bare veggie garden to bury pots with plants or just the plants themselves. He also said "Don't let them get to comfortable cuz come springtime out they go!!! I just hope I can dig that many holes soon. That's really why I was leaning toward the pots. Okay gotta go, got lot's of holes to dig. Bye Bye !!!

Thumbnail by KsMirasol
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9301809

Heeling in would be digging a trench, laying the daylilies in on their sides with the roots in the trench, and covering with soil, then watering them in. I would mulch for the winter. Also, putting evergreen boughs over them will help to control frost heaving. When you get snow, you can also mound the snow over them to keep them covered longer. As long as they're covered with snow, they won't heave out of the ground from frost.

You might try heeling in the pots, also. Dig a trench and lay the pots in at an angle. Maybe you could try mounding leaves over them instead of soil. Beware, though, as this is a great environment for voles, which love to eat daylily roots. If you have trouble with voles, you might not want to do this.

Nice bloom in the pic. Is that APRICOT SPARKLES?

Karen
KsMirasol
Liberal, KS

October 10, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9301844

Thank You Karen for all this info. I really don't remember the name. I never kept track of names It was another one of my beauties.

Thumbnail by KsMirasol

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9301943

Oh, that's right. I had forgotten. Sure is pretty. They all are, aren't they?

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9301968

They will survive in pots that are in bags , I have done this a few times over the years.I put the pot itself in a black bag and the whole thing in a white one..

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9301984

I've never tried that, but I have put clumps in plastic grocery bags, and have successfully overwintered them that way as well.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9301989

It is easier with just the bag if there is a place your going to plant them,just have the planting place ready and cut the bottom of the bag, and set them in, Have done that also,!lol
KsMirasol
Liberal, KS

October 10, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9302015

I learn something everyday. Thanks.
Karen well I never saw a daylily I didn't think was beautiful.

Thumbnail by KsMirasol

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9302782

juhur7, that's a good idea. Never thought of that.

All daylilies are beautiful. Some are just more so than others.

Karen

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9302795

I just started some I have received from the lily auction, and a couple of my own outside growing from my own seed, a couple in pot bags, and some soaking for planting tomorrow ..lol I never seem to get enough!!!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9302809

You and me and all the rest of us DL addicts here!

Karen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America