Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: What is this?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 9, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9298820

Coming up as a weed in my bushes and roadsides...about 3 feet tall.

Thumbnail by Kim_M
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9298844

I think it's Chrysanthemum leucanthemum - Oxeye Daisy. Chrysanthemum leucanthemum is a synonym for Leucanthemum vulgare, which is now the most widely accepted scientific name.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9298847

I have Leucanthemum vulgare: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1903/

And this doesn't seem to be the same plant...the flowers are tiny tiny on the plant I'm referring to.
Jo_T
Somerville, MA

October 7, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9298914

it's an aster of some type. to identify which aster is it, you need to look at the leaf shape, stem arrangement, etc. here is a good guide for new england asters. http://www.nttlphoto.com/botany/asters-goldenrods/a&g_main.htm

i have seen the asters you depict in MA and in CT this weekend, so this guide should work.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9298921

It's one of the many white, fall-blooming asters. At least they used to be asters; many of them have been moved to genus Symphyotrichum. Yours may be Symphyotrichum lateriflorum (but that is just a guess as there are many very similar species).
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9298927

Thanks! So far it looks like this one:
http://www.nttlphoto.com/botany/asters-goldenrods/Asters/Symphyotrichum/Lanceolatum-lanc/s_lanceolatum_v_lanc.htm

I still have to look through them all...
1alh1
Sidney, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9299045

False chamomille? Matricaria perforata or M. chamomilla?
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9299067

The flowers do remind me of chamomille...but sure that's not it...leaves are all wrong.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 7, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9299099

I'm pretty sure it's a Symphyotrichum (formerly Aster) sp. Years ago I remember helping a friend ID some plants for a course she was taking for fall semester. The plants samples had to be fresh and locally grown... so we ended up with more than one of the asters. It was a real pain to ID them, even with a detailed key book... had to note the plant's habitat, measure height/spread, etc. and then for the fun part... dissect the flowers and measure and count each part including petals/rays, pappus, etc. I wouldn't even attempt to ID an exact species from a single photo.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2012
11:06 PM

Post #9299182

This time of year and those leaves and the bloom description say common name" Willow Aster". I have these and love them hanging over the Coneflower stalks, Pretty weed for an invasive ,Bees and Butterflies love it

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America