Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: please identify

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 3, Views: 25
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
clouseh
Davenport, IA

October 7, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9299086

I sleep in the basement at my house and I've seen four huge spiders down there that all look the same. Three out of the four were either on my clothes or inside the sleeve or leg of some clothes. Somebody please tell me what kind of spider this is and tell me if it bites me, its venom won't eat my flesh away! I thought this one was dead, so I took pictures of it, but then it slowly started moving. If I had any idea that it was still alive I would have freaked out. I haven't gotten super close to it, but the body and legs look velvety...like fuzzy but not hairy.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2012 9:52 PM

Thumbnail by clouseh   Thumbnail by clouseh   Thumbnail by clouseh
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

October 8, 2012
12:48 AM

Post #9299192

Looks like a small wolf spider. Large ones can give a painful but not dangerous bite.
clouseh
Davenport, IA

October 8, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9300252

Small wolf spider? How big do they get? This bad boy was bigger than a fifty cent piece...
Flapdoodle
Minot, ND

October 9, 2012
12:35 AM

Post #9300285

With no scale on your image, it looked like one of the smaller species. The largest one I've seen had a diagonal leg span of nearly 4" (it looked even larger with my face only about18" from it!).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America