-
AuthorContent
digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9299096

World Bromeliad Conference held just over a week ago. Here are some of the great plants we saw. This first pic is a Ray Coleman hybrid of Neo. Lorena x Neo Hannibal Lector (called Lorena Lector). Stunning isn't it? Dave

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 12:50 PM

Thumbnail by digital_dave
Click the image for an enlarged view.

digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9299115

Best in show (Commercial) - a variegated Alcantarea John Stoddard. Note me hiding behind the plant. It's huge.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 12:35 PM

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9299657

These are fabulous. Where was the conference held?
digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9299690

In Orlando. Here is Neoregelia Wild Rabbit (about 14" in diameter , Chester Skotak hybrid)

digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9299694

Vriesea ospinae "Tie Dye"

digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #9299697

Neoregelia (carolinae x Hannibal Lector) x Norman Bates x carcaradon "Tiger" (I think...)

digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9299698

Dyckia Arizona (rather expensive at the moment - I passed)

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 12:49 PM

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9300062

Did you enter some of your plants or did you purchase anything special?

Those are some amazing bromeliads on display. Do believe I'd be better off staying here and watching your photos instead. LOL Loving the Vriesea ospinae "Tie Dye".
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9300067

These are beyond my expectations. This is on my bucket list...to attend at least once in my life time.
Show us what followed you home,,,please.
digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9301043

I did splurge on a few plants. Every year, there is a large member/vendor plant sale. But the real action is at the "Rare Plant Auction" which (very intelligently) follows a "softening-up" session (read alcohol). Many awesome plants are auctioned off including some of the show plants. Since the proceeds benefit the Bromeliad Society, many bidders (me included) pick a few plants they would really like and bid much more than they are worth. I took home Orthroglaziovia (bigeneric cross) Rosita (= Neoglaziovia variegata x Orthophytum albopicta) and a variegated Pitcairnea species from Eucador (grown by Peter Bak - whose Dutch Nursery grows millions of Bromeliads from seed each year).

The BSI announced the 2014 World Conference would be held in Hawaii! Aloha...

Forgot to add that I did not enter any plants. We grow lots of things and just this last week had to do our usual cramming into the greenhouse as freezing weather was expected. It's extremely hard to grow show plants with great color and conformation while maintaining perfect leaves (especially the tips). I confess that I did win a Mulford Foster Best in Show award at a BSI show way back in 1981. Ironically, it was a very nice clump of Billbergia Pixie, with absolutely stunning scurf on the leaves barely masking Pixie's great colors. What neither I nor the judges realized at the time was, that this "scurf" was actually calcium carbonate. When we moved from Long Island (with extremely soft water) to Missouri, I installed a misting system just like the one back home. I soon learned that I was coating my plants with limestone. After a while they suffered. I installed reverse osmosis which I used for many years. I now use deionized water, which is certainly more expensive but loses no pressure so I can mist away without having to repump.

Dave

This message was edited Oct 9, 2012 8:06 PM
digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9301048

Neoregelia Sibella

digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9301050

Dyckia Brittle Star - a close-up to see the very interesting "imprints" left on the leaves when the new ones come out

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9301832

Hawaii! Oh no!!! I am suppossed to retire this year, but DH says continue if I want my kitchen remodled.
Wild Rabbit is just wonderful. Oh! You have made me envious!

digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9308716

All I have for Wild Rabbit is a higher resolution picture, so don't be jealous!
cyrdd
Perris Ca.
United States

June 16, 2014
4:00 PM

Post #9869573

LOVED those pics. of Neos. from the '12 world conference and subscribed to Dave's Garden for two months while in the States just so I could enlarge your pics. Are any of them available from nurseries yet? Those Lector hybrids are unbelievably beautiful.
digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2014
10:03 AM

Post #9883723

I really don't know about availability. You could try some of the better known Bromeliad nurseries with online ordering/catalogs - Tropiflora, http://tropiflora.com/ - Birdrock, http://www.birdrocktropicals.com/ - Michael's Bromeliads, http://www.michaelsbromeliads.com/

Dave
cyrdd
Perris Ca.
United States

July 7, 2014
6:47 AM

Post #9887527

Much appreciated Dave. Astronomical costs bringing into N.Z. through quarantine but can visit a sister in Florida while across the big puddle every summer and view purchases in Jacksonville!!! Will try those growers.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America