Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Landscaping: Best Grub Killer to use in Early October in North East

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 6, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

PeteB7

PeteB7
Trumbull, CT
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2012
10:30 PM

Post #9299170

We've not had any chemical treatment in our lawn for about 4 years now and there are a lot of grubs. I reseeded a few days ago - October 6 and I'm wondering if the grubs can be treated now before the new roots come in. Is Milky Spore the best way to go, or Grubex, or is it too late to treat them? We are very close to the coast in Connecticut and the weather is rather mild so even though it is a bit late to be overseeding I think it will be fine.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 8, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9299664

Hi PeteB7, wish you could tell us what type of grubs your trying to get rid off as there are many who live in the top growth while there are others who live in the root area and actually live off the roots, signs of that are patches of grass dying off in areas and the rest looks fine.
Don't know about out your way but the worse pest /grubs for damage to the grass / lawns UK, are the grubs called Leather-jacks ( hatch out to become Daddy- long-legs) and the grubs come to the surface after eating the roots of the grass, we find flocks of Starling birds awaiting the grubs breaking through the surface of the lawn, it happens every year but by the time the grubs have hatched out, they have caused untold damage to the grass as the lawn cant remain green if there are no roots to sustain it, nature at it's best or worst whatever way you look at it eh!!.
After all that nature chat, the point I was about to make was, as much as there are many grubs, there are just as many grub killers so it would be better IF you knew what grubs you were trying to kill, there is no point wasting cash on any killer and find that you don't have those grubs, maybe try dig a square of turf up and see if you can get a grub to put in container for showing at the garden store, the grubs we have are like cater-pillars are grey, about as long as half inch and wriggle about when exposed, you obviously have to search in the area that has been damaged first tho. Then check to see on the lable what is the best months to treat the area as some need warmth while others like cooler early spring or late summer.
Good luck. WeeNel.

PeteB7

PeteB7
Trumbull, CT
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9299804

Thank you very much for responding. I believe that they are Japanese beetle type since we had a lot of them this summer. I know that there is something because we have brown patches and the squirrels are digging just about an inch down to get them, not sure if that tells you anything. I'm about to go out and I'll read the labels to see when it is suggested to apply them. Here is info on one brand of Milky Spore:
http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/bpopillae2.html

This claim is made there "Milky Spore was first developed by the USDA in the 1930s to combat the Japanese Beetle but Milky Spore controls the June bug and Oriental beetles as well."

Thanks again for your help!

PeteB7

PeteB7
Trumbull, CT
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9300038

I got this St. Gabriel product but not from HD, strange this product is not listed
on the St. Gabriel web page:
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/st-gabriel-20-lb-ready-to-use-milky-spore-grub-control-80080.html#

It says apply anytime the ground is not frozen and it seems to be very safe.
It also only lists drop spreaders for applying it, not broadcast which is what I have.
They told me at the store not to use a broadcast type.

PeteB7

PeteB7
Trumbull, CT
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9300460

I just spoke to a St. Gabriel person and they said that the product I got is not shown because it is too heavy to ship which makes sense. They also said that this product has to be applied 3 times a season for 2 years whereas the powder product on their website is applied only once. The one application product ends up being far more cost effective since it only has to be applied once. Here is the powder product:
http://www.stgl.us/gstore/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=44&idproduct=4006

I think I'll return what I purchased and get the other product and the applicator for $10. They said that the issue with a broadcast spreader is that the coverage is not even enough but if you use one open it about 1/3 of the way.

This other product is applied by dropping a teaspoon every 3 feet across the lawn and I have a feeling that the grubs have to spread it by consuming it or perhaps by whatever process it multiplies. I have to wonder how long this takes.

PeteB7

PeteB7
Trumbull, CT
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9307113

I got the powder form from Home Depot mail order which was the
lowest price I could find. I ordered enough for 20,000 sq ft and used
their applicator following the procedure and ended up only using one
package for 10,000 sq ft. Our lot is 1/2 acre without a lot of woods
so I'm thinking it is at least 15,000 if not 19,000 sq ft. I figure I'll
apply the second package next season when the grubs are more
active, not sure if it would be better to put it down now?

PeteB7

PeteB7
Trumbull, CT
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9316499

Found a few grubs while digging in the yard today and they do look milky and were not moving much - I think they are nearly dead. Seems to be working.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America