Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Orchid like, what is it?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9299328

I went to a lecture at the Berkshire Botanical Garden. At the end we were given random pieces of plants to bring home and see if we could cultivate them, but it was all kind of muddled, and no identity documentation was given out. I managed to keep this going, but I have no idea what it is! It looks rather tropical, I've never seen it in stores, but the leave edges and tips get brown, as though I'm giving it too much sun and perhaps not enough water. It's inside now. The flowers look like little purple tiger lillies, with a larger bunch of petals in the center. The flowers are only about two inches wide at most. What is it, and what should I do with it?

Thumbnail by drumlin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 8, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9299332

looks like an orchid - are there leaves you can show? What do the roots look like?
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9299343

I can see where it does appear to possibly a Lily. Could you post a picture from above. Showing the full flower from the top.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9299346

Possibly Tricyrtis, toad lily?

http://home.howstuffworks.com/toad-lily.htm
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9299347

Looks like Tricyrtis to me as well.
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9300048

As usual, the brilliant DGers have identified things in the blink of an eye. Yes, it certainly looks like Toad Lily. I thought they were low to the ground. I'm unhappy with the brown leaves (as seen in the picture). Can I overwinter it inside? I'm moving to Maine!! Or should I just give it a new home? Should it be inside, can it survive outside at all?

Thumbnail by drumlin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9300061

Yes! I'm certain we could overwinter here! Feel free! Move on down to Florida anytime!!!! :-)))

Sorry that I can't give you any more info than thatů.:-)

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9300104

Most Tricyrtis are hardy to zones 5 or 6, not hardy enough for Maine winters, but you could overwinter it indoors. Yours may be getting too much sun

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9300412

The Tricyrtis hirta, is hardy to zone 4, but they do make lovely container plants also. The only caveat is that they need regular watering and should not be allowed to dry out completely...the soil needs to be consistently moist, not wet.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/toad_lily.html

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America