Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: My Toxic, Painful Garden Revisited: pruning considerations: Great article Palmbob

Communities > Forums > Article: My Toxic, Painful Garden Revisited: pruning considerations
bookmark
Forum: Article: My Toxic, Painful Garden Revisited: pruning considerationsReplies: 2, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sherizona
Peoria, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9299432

I had to laugh when reading this article because it reads just like I would have written it myself! We have many, many similar plants and I have the same issues you do. This is very informative and your methods are the same I use. Two of my worst injuries pruning came from the razor sharp edges of the pony tail palm leaves and the tiny, almost invisible, airborne thorns from the bunny-ear type opuntia that land all over the skin when handling.

Thanks for all of the great info. By the way those rubber bristle gloves you use to move cactus are rubber wash gloves for livestock. They are used to clean cattle and sheep. They are available online for less than ten dollars if folks google cattle brushes, rubber curry combs or cattle grooming gloves. They can easily make the difference between having a good day and a very bad one!

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 7:36 AM

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 8, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9299817

are you serious? I never thought to look there! I will go check it out!

I just googled rubber wash gloves for livestock and sure enough, there was a photo of by cactus mitts! Thanks.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2012 5:24 PM
holly85749
Tucson, AZ

October 9, 2012
11:58 PM

Post #9301231

Thanks, Sheizona! I was wondering what they were called. I often lasso barrel cacti with a couple of loops of coax cable to move them - another indispensible tool for the desert gardener.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: My Toxic, Painful Garden Revisited: pruning considerations Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Ouch. gloria125 0 Oct 3, 2012 6:33 AM
What a huge piece of work! steadycam3 0 Oct 3, 2012 11:00 PM
Great advice! Thanks, love your articles gardenergrow 0 Oct 8, 2012 7:05 AM
Where are your loppers? pipeladi 1 Oct 8, 2012 2:06 PM
WOW WOW ALL I CAN SAY Disanti 1 Oct 8, 2012 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America