Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: In 1492 Columbus Sailed the Ocean Blue: The Columbian Exchange: Columbus Day

Communities > Forums > Article: In 1492 Columbus Sailed the Ocean Blue: The Columbian Exchange
bookmark
Forum: Article: In 1492 Columbus Sailed the Ocean Blue: The Columbian ExchangeReplies: 7, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TerryDuBose
Austin, TX

October 8, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9299493

In recognition of Columbus Day, I wish to encourage everyone to re-read the first seven pages of Howard Zinn’s book, “A PEOPLE’S HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES: 1492 – Present.” If you do not own a copy of Zinn’s History, then you can read those first pages here.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/08/623906/-Columbus-Day-October-13
In those pages Zinn deals with the early interactions between the European explorers and the native peoples who were already here. Lest we forget or become blinded by the spin of modern historians.
It should be noted that on page two Zinn points to Spain, that 500 years ago, “Its population, mostly poor peasants, worked for the nobility, who were 2 percent of the population and owned 95 percent of the land.” Not that much different from where we are today, except we have our gadgets like autos and iPhones, a blessing or a curse, depending….

Peace, Terry

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9299593

Howard Zinn is one of my heroes, Terry, because of his rabble-rousing at BU. He was friends with my favorite professors. He died just recently, I believe, in the last 18 months or so. Thanks for your comment and your link--you know that I click on EVERY link, right?

...yes, that corroborates what I had read. Just one little detail: the Arawaks were eating sweet potatoes, not yams, as Zinn reports. Yams came from Africa and sweet potatoes from the Americas.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 2:11 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9300039

Interesting article Carrie!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9301024

Thanks, Sally. This was another article which (clearly) did not stay within its allotted borders. It's a topic I've come across over and over again (this plant or that plant was first found in South America or Mexico). Thanks for your comment.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2012
12:17 AM

Post #9302117

Carrie, Another winner of an article. Glad you're getting settled a little in Texas.
I love articles to stray abit. Isaac Asimof was my favorite science auther.Nobody could accuse him of staying on topic. LOL
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9302398

Yes, Asimov was a fun writer. My nephew is nick-named "Robby," allegedly for an obscure family name but I think my brother was thinking of Robby the Robot.

I'm glad you liked this article, Vickie. Did you click on all the links? Thanks for stopping by.
orangegrovegirl
Port Saint Lucie, FL

October 15, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9306533

What an absolutely fascinating article! I haven't clicked on all the links yet but I will. Very interesting to see where our favorite regional veggies and plants really originated!

Speaking of not staying within borders, Isaac Asimov was my favorite science fiction writer of all time! But... he was not just a "fun" writer - he was a bonafide scientist (chemical engineer, if I remember correctly) and his writing reflected his knowledge in a "fun" way. He brought things "down to earth" so to speak and didn't "flaunt" his education... he shared it.

OK, gonna click those links now! MM :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9307207

Finally, a reader who clicks all MY links! I leave most of them out, you know, because it would be no fun to read something where every single word was a link to something else. So I put in enough links so both you and I can follow my train of thought, but I hope I don't put so many in that it's off-putting.

Asimov was one of the first "science" writers I read (One Two Three...Infinity). (edited for redundancy.) The Foundation Series was great, too, but a little weighty, I guess, although I haven't read it in years. In fact, I'm probably due. Amazingly, as a totally fully grown adult, I'm beginning to prefer non-fiction. (I never thought THAT would happen.)

Thanks for appreciating!

This message was edited Oct 16, 2012 2:47 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: In 1492 Columbus Sailed the Ocean Blue: The Columbian Exchange Threads you might be interested in:

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America