Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Sassafras: sassafras roots

Communities > Forums > Article: Sassafras
bookmark
Forum: Article: SassafrasReplies: 2, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cyrusmccormick
Washington, VA

October 8, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9299563

As a retired teacher I substituted for a few years and used to like to bring in natural objects for discussion.
At the time I dug up some old sassafras roots by accident and smelled root beer in the air. I cut up coins of roots using my chop saw, drilled a hole in the top of the coin and attached a string to it for a sassafras necklace which I gave to each of the students. Any time they wanted that sweet smell they could lift it up to their noses and get a great whiff with a gentle rub.

FlyPoison

FlyPoison
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9305979

I discovered the beautiful native sassafras growing in upstate S.C. just over the past few years. Identifying and discovering new native plants has become an addiction.

The sassafras tree has so many wonderful attributes, it's hard to list them all. It makes a great landscape plant and has interest during all seasons. I love how some leaves are oblong, others are 2 and 3 lobed. I've found several established sassafras growing in a nearby wooded area and fortunately wildlife has helped my effort by planting several on my wooded property. I had to protect the young seedlings for the first few years because rabbits or dear love to browse on them. I've found that sassafras prefer part-shade here versus full sun and have done very well thus far.

I always love reading your articles Sharran and definitely plan to dig up some roots to make sassafras tea very soon. I just may grab a twig or two while I'm at it.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9364600

Cyrus, what a wonderful idea! Wish I'd thought of that when I was teaching.

FP, you are right about sassafras! Thanks so much about the articles.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Sassafras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
root beer irisMA 27 Mar 12, 2010 6:24 PM
Australian Sassafras kennedyh 1 Feb 9, 2010 5:56 AM
Chewing sassafras twigs roseone33 5 Feb 9, 2010 9:35 PM
Cute birder17 5 Feb 16, 2010 2:39 AM
Sassafras tea annhelen 2 Feb 16, 2010 3:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America