Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Top Australian Trees: #2 Tropical Queensland: Australian rainforest trees

Communities > Forums > Article: Top Australian Trees: #2 Tropical Queensland
bookmark
Forum: Article: Top Australian Trees: #2 Tropical QueenslandReplies: 5, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GardenEzi
Tamborine Mountain
Australia

October 8, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9300001

I enjoyed this article but do have a couple of comments. Bunya Pines are too big and antisocial for anything but an acreage garden. And macadamia trees are not particularly attractive. Two other very beautiful trees which are suitable for home gardens are the Ivory Curl Tree (Buckinghamia celsissima) which often develops a shrubby growth habit if regularly cut back but otherwise grows quite large, and the Golden Penda (Xanthostemon chrysanthus). Both these small and well-behaved trees are quite tough and will tolerate light frost, temperatures down to zero (Celsius) and long, dry periods. See more on these trees at my GardenEzi blog.
arnotts
Brisbane
Australia

October 8, 2012
11:34 PM

Post #9300279

I agree with GardenEzi,A Bunya Pine is pretty ordinary & I have to do a wide circle around mine because a falling nut could easily kill you!My Macadamia tree is nothing special,but those nuts are something else! The bottle tree is merely a curiousity.And my Brachychiton when flowering loses it's leaves & looks rather stark with flowers only on the tree.I would nominate my Flame Tree aswell as,the magnificent Poinciana in full bloom(I know it,s not an Aussie but how could you exclude it) I have 5 mature trees & when they are in full bloom all together it is breathtaking,Eucalyptus ficifolia(the red flowering gum) and the little known Cassia brewsteri,whose long pendulous weeping flowers are most unique & beautifull.To stack the deck ,I.ll add my Cootamundra Wattle-What a sight in full bloom!
GardenEzi
Tamborine Mountain
Australia

October 9, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9300954

I rather like the Brachychiton when it is briefly dormant - we don't have so many deciduous Aussie trees! Agree about Cassia brewsteri - beautiful tree though type "Paluma Range" is even better. Can be difficult to grow though and needs good branch management. I've put a list of the Ten Best Australian Flowering Trees on my GardenEzi blog - might see if I can post this as an article on Dave's Garden too. No wattles on that list though Arnotts - will do a separate post on those. It's great to be getting all these lovely trees better known around the world. Agree about E. ficifolia but the two selectively bred Corymbias on my list, "Summer Red" and "Summer Beauty", are more rewarding and perfect for Southern California etc. And how about the lovely Callistemons (see my photo).

Thumbnail by GardenEzi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Baretta11
Victoria
Australia

October 10, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9302092

I have enjoyed reading the comments about some of the beautiful Australian or native trees available. I too think the Cootamundra wattle is spectacular when in flower but in all fairness most wattles are beautiful during this phase however ordinary they may be at other times of the year. I think it's to do with when they flower, being Winter, when by the very nature of the season, flowers are so scarce and the yellow is so noticable in an otherwise drab environment.
I have been a keen gardener most of my adult life but more so since 2003 when my husband and I decided to build a new home on a pretty much vacant block of land in South West Victora void of any greenery except for the cyprus hedges along the boundary of our 40acre property.
I have always loved unusual and different types of plants and trees especially cacti and I was determined to plant as many varieties of as many species as possible.
I did allot or reading before deciding on my choices, and became more aware of the unusual trees like bottle trees after visiting some predominantely cacti based nurseries where there was also a keen interest in very different varieties of plants and trees.
I have in my garden many native and non - native species of shrubs planted on the perimeter of the house block which include the odd succulent and cacti including, A. dichotoma,Cereus peruvianus and T. pachanoi.
I also have a purpose built cacti garden, or at least a very well drained gravel/soil based bed which include B. recurvata, W.johnsonii, X. australis, Y. gloriosa and A. plicatilis.
In the spaceous lawn, the larger trees including, B. acerifolious, B. populneus, B discolor, B. rupestris, C. ficifolia "Baby Scarlet", Dracena draco and Powton "Saphire Dragon".
All of these abovementioned trees and cacti are now only at most 9 years of age with B. acerifolious showing an almost unnoticable flower display however, I have seen an older specimen of this tree in Geelong and it is absolutely magnificent.
As an especially keen lover of cacti, I am well aware of the need for patience and time required for these plants and trees to reach maturity and hence their most intense display whilst flowering.
GardenEzi
Tamborine Mountain
Australia

October 16, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9307414

Baretta11 I think you are right about wattles, which is why I didn't include them in my Top Ten Australian tree list - they are spectacular when in flower, gilding our winters and springs, but pretty ordinary at other times and rather short-lived. Some of those with "mimosa"-type leaves are very pretty when not in flower though. I'm sure your Brachychiton acerifolius will be spectacular in a few years though I would have thought your climate a little dry and cold for it, and also B.discolor. I think B. rupestris and B. populneus are both very interesting trees - there is a Kurrajong not far from where I live which is known to be at least 200 years old.
arnotts
Brisbane
Australia

November 26, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9343505

Our 4 large Jacaranda trees were in full bloom a month ago-What a spectacurlar sight!! Now our 3 Ponciancia are in full bloom-simply spectacular!! Aren't we blessed to live in the Tropics to experience these treasures. I am expanding the range of my plantings after seeing the unbelievable beauty for the first time of a Jade vine in full flower.This is a Phillipines rainforest plant that is extremelly rare to find even in it's own Country.Once seen,never forgotten & arguably the most beautifull plant on the planet !! I was lucky to score 6 seeds,and also 6 seeds of the red Jade vine.All are planted and doing well.In addition I have just started to propogate a large qty of passiflora vines.I only recently discovered what a huge variety of magnificent flowers these have -of ever colour you could imagine! Over 500 varietys.Unfortunatally only for the Tropics or a Hot house in other climates.I'll let you know of their progress in due course.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Top Australian Trees: #2 Tropical Queensland Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Whatatrees! jjacques 8 May 9, 2008 12:26 PM
Great phicks 1 May 8, 2008 1:01 PM
Finding a tree s_h_a_r_k_ 0 Dec 8, 2008 2:20 PM
seed availability katiebear 0 Oct 7, 2012 2:07 PM
Australian Trees arnotts 0 Oct 8, 2012 3:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America