Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Coneflowers: Pow Wow Wild Berry from seed?

Communities > Forums > Coneflowers
bookmark
Forum: ConeflowersReplies: 12, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9300034

I realize most of you here are hybrid and plant gardeners, only I was thinking about how to sow the seeds of the a fore mentioned Echie. Maybe some of you have a better thread or video idea (I could not find many) or some some plain old good advice. I have talked with some of you before about Coneflowers from seed realizing plant genetic manipulation does not allow that with most of the favorites of you who thread here.
I am giving thought to winter sowing ,as to just planting all the seeds together like turning a seed cone upside down .and seeing if any of them grow.
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2013
1:32 PM

Post #9510738

Well, I am new to this thread, but I am experimenting too. I planted seeds from pow wow wild berry and they are going strong. I will be interested to see how they flower. I'd like to know your results too.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2013
4:44 PM

Post #9510978

I believe I have three at the back yard ,, Lots of purple's this spring though ..!!lots!!!!
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
12:25 PM

Post #9512019

Juhur&- this is an off topic question,even though it is about Powwow kind of...but I need help. I mixed up the identical pots of white swan and pow wow wildberry and now cant tell them apart. One has all green stems on the leaves and the other has a reddish purple cast on the leaf stem. Is the plain green the white one? I know I am a big dummy, I was sure I would remember which was which. I want to plant them in the ground, and don't want to wait for blooms to know white from purple.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9512036

i DON'T KNOW ...LOL Although the white is usually a form of purple Coneflower , they all have a reddish cast in their stem Young Coneflower with a single stem , often show no reddish cast until they are older or begin to runner..
My Milkshake is a white , it shows darker stem color , Unless I had seen them before (?) What I believe to be my Wild Berry (and I am not sure now myself , are not showing stem color ... Everyplace is different .as are each of the plants ,
50/50 Guesses are a mental pain ,aren't they ..

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9512041

Apology , I only laughed because I am experiencing the same thing ,, It caught me for a moment..
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2013
1:05 PM

Post #9512066

Aaww, jeez, I am Laughing, too. Well, I can either plant them in larger pots and wait to see, or i can put 'em in and just say what the H- E- double toothpicks. You pays ya money and ya takes ya chances! what is the worst result? Flowers? My Beds are a chaotic riot anyway, so white, purple,wild berry, it will be pretty no matter what. It is for the butterflies and birds(goldfinches like them, right?) anyway, so if they are snobs and choose a better planned garden to hang out in, that's ok, Maybe I will get the butterflies from the wrong side of the meadow to come over : ) that is a reference to a Far Side cartoon.
Thanks for trying!
grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 8, 2013
7:21 PM

Post #9513899

I have a lot of seedlings coming up in several large planters I did not plant them there is a Magnus there as well as a Prima Donna plus a nearby purple so any of those plants could have self sowed...There are lots of wild coneflowers in this part of Oklahoma they are mostly a very pale purple that fades to white very quickly..
grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 8, 2013
7:30 PM

Post #9513909

some of the wild ones that grow here

Thumbnail by grits74571   Thumbnail by grits74571   Thumbnail by grits74571      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2013
7:50 AM

Post #9514344

Grits, those are nice! especially since they are wild. I wonder if what is in your planters will show up with as far as flower color.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 11, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9516882

Most of the coneflowers I have are all descended from a single batch of seeds that was gifted to me by my sweetie niece now I have dozens of those and I did later buy 2 plants the aforementioned Mangus and Prima donna I have 2 large plants that are in a large wooden planter that are showing signs of being root bound and I know I should get them moved pronto but am dreading doing it for fear of killing them ..If I had noticed this last fall it would not be a problem...any helpfull advise???

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9516918

If you do move them . like a tree root ball is the best way ..All the earth you can leave on the roots I move a purple that way once in a great while ,,, They don't like being moved at all , That much I do know ,
Wild means wild ,, or so it seems ...
By the way pretty flowers there , Look more spider bloomed than the type or variety here ,,
grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 12, 2013
5:25 AM

Post #9517607

I think I shall just bite the bullet and take one of those out and leave the other with some fresh soil in the place that is vacated by the removal..

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Coneflowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Did You go Cone Crazy? MollyMc 560 Jun 4, 2010 8:05 PM
Welcome to the Coneflowers Discussion Forum dave 18 Aug 29, 2014 2:53 PM
Shortest Coneflowers? cedarnest 60 Jun 4, 2008 6:00 PM
Is Rudbeckia hirta Considered a Coneflower? claypa 4 Jan 26, 2009 8:59 PM
Staking Coneflowers rosethyme 28 Jun 30, 2011 10:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America