AuthorContent

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9300463

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243875/ Here is where I came from...

I just flew over here to the new thread on my broom since it is getting close to Halloween and I need to practice. You see, I am known on some threads as a "witch" or is it that other word that sounds the same, either way, I am practicing broom flying in between my trips to the greenhouse worrying about how the Christmas Cactus and Holiday Cactus are going to survive in this sudden weather change.
Please feel free to join in this discussion of Holiday Cactus and show pictures, give advice or whatever you darn well feel like doing. We are happy to see new faces and everyone is welcome. Only requirement is, Be Nice!

Gita, your salmon cuttings are doing so well, I put some of them up on ebay and if they sell I will send you your commission. Keep em coming and we could get rich. Well, maybe not rich, but we would have some fun knowing we are sharing our passion with others.

I want to discuss Coir with you Gita. i stopped using it because I lost so many cuttings in it.
I am not sure why. It worked so well when I first used it then it was down hill. Something else I can not do with success is let my cuttings harden before I plant them. I need to put them in water and let them suck it up and some even begin to root before I plant them. What are your thoughts on that method?

The picture is me on my first flight. That really hurt when I landed.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9300483

JB--

Thank you for the new Thread. Nice landing there! Did you create all the effects?

I will write more later--right now I have to get ready to go to work.

I posted the picture in the last Post I made in the previous part.

Here it is again--the white Easter Cactus coleup gave me--and I ripped it in half
and split it with sally. It was VERY hard to rip it apart--such a tangled root mass!

Anyway--here is the picture showing the 'nubs' . They do kind of look like seed pods...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9300620

Yes, that is what they look like. It takes forever to get one of those ready to plant. I did some research on it one time when one of mine showed me one of those little guys. I figured at my age,I would never see it bloom. LOL

No Gita, I found that picture someplace on the internet and just loved it. My friend from NY state calls me the wicked witch from the East, and she is the wicked witch from the North and we have another one who is of course the South. We have been internet friends for nearly 15 years and we are always looking for different pictures of witches. See what happens when you garden too much? You get weird. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9306356

Well--JB--
Looks like it is just you and I here having a conversation...Ok by me!

My CC's are all still outside. of course--we are now back to warmer weather and nights as well.
Glad i did not rush to bring everything in. Everything IS in--except the CC's and my Brugs--
which are ready to bloom again.

Of course--lots of yard work yet to be done...The BIG clean-up! The digging and weeding and mulching.
Raking of leaves (not too much this year), and making sure everything in pots is in a protected,
sheltered place. Not sure what to do with my rooted Fig cuttings. They are just little stems with a
terminal leaf bud at the top. i KNOW they will grow--but probably not until spring.
I think they should be kept outside--but in a really, really protected spot. They are just in 5" pots.

Maybe I should put them in a crate and fill it up with leaves--up against my E. side of the shed--OR--
up against my house behind my Hydrangea bush. There is also a big fern there--so they would be protected from all sides.
I have the same issues with some other tender perennials...
Do you have an opinion on this?

I am excited to see what color some of the "juvenile" CC's will be. I know the ones I collected at Lowes will be
either pink or white and pink. They ALL are starting to set flower buds. These are the ones by my front door.

How far are you with the gardening chores? Everything in the Greenhouse?

Will you want me to send you any of the newer CC's? I know you liked the pink one.
Would it be better to wait until spring? I will make sure I label each one that does bloom.

Let me know! Be well! Gita

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9306965

Well, Gita, people are busy just now I guess and houseplants can wait until they get their gardens in order. I personally have so little planted in gardens my big job is bringing in all the pots. You ask about the figs, I am jusrt not a good person to ask about potted tender perennials since I had NO luck keeping them alive if I leave them outside for the winter. No matter where I put them. Puff...they die. So, I bring them all in.
I have been selling plants like crazy and was just thinking about when I would begin to take cuttings again. I really would like my hybrids to get more growth on them before I cut. I know there will be very little blooms this year because I took cuttings off of them prior to the budding season and so, off with the flowers when you do that. I wanted to see if they would grow with the stock plants being so young. I did very well with most of them and yet I lost some too. I found that I can not let them calus over like most people do. Either I wait too long to put them in the ground or something, but they do not seem to grow as well as the ones I start in water. What are your thoughts on that? Same with Coir, I had some beauties start in coir and then others just died. It is such a challenge growing these things.

I will take anything you send, and as you know when I sell one of "the Gita Collection" Gita will get a cut. LOL
I am serious. I am hoping that happens. I am just beginning to put them up on the eBay and Cubits sites. It does help if I have a color and a picture of the flower. Did you give me the Polka Dancer? That plant is growing really nicely and I got four cuttings from it. They look great. There are other CC with similiar names and I was wondering if Lowes has any of them. When I looked it up to see the color I was surprised to see all the different names that showed up.
Everything is in the greenhouse and I am working on the Cemetery Cones (silk flowers) for Fall, then it is time to work on the Christmas stuff for the Christmas store when we open to cut trees Thanksgiving Weekend. We will be having people in to tag very soon. They start that before Thanksgiving and I am the only one on the farm at that time. So, I am busy.
I need some really pretty red CC. My red ones do not seem to be coming along too well. If you see a real bright red one, snip off a cutting or two for me. Name too please. LOL. I will pay you for the shipping and the cuttings for sure.
I have the following in stock if you want any of them: Schlumbergera Cristen, Xmas Flame, Twilight Tangerine,Rare Yellow Zygo, Thor Tenna, Yantra, White Christmas,Zygo White, Zygo Orange, Peaches N Cream, Fuchsia, Maid of Orleans Jasmine,Goldfish Plant, Desocactus x Hybrid, Tea Rose Begonia and unfortunately, YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THIS OFFER IS GOOD TO. I owe you so many plants and you have not ever ask for anything in return. Please take your pick and let me know which ones you would like to have and I will get them in the mail before the weather gets too cold. NO CHARGE...NO POSTAGE...JUST LOTS OF LOVE AND HUGS . Get back to me before I sell out. Some I only have one or two of left and orders come in daily.
I am no longer advertising on DG other than in Plant Scout. If you put in a classified ad, you are not permitted to discuss it on the forums. I found the classifieds are not seen by that many people that want CC. So, I am going elsewhere with my plants. I hate leaving here but I need to move the merchandise and there are so many restrictions I just can not keep up with them. LOL Must get to work. If you want to reply by Dmail that is fine. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9307276

JB--

I am at work so i do not want to get involved in a long post. Sometimes they do not send...

Will write you a D-mail soon--from home. Gita
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9307402

Hi girls. Just checking in to let you know I'm watching you. :-) Not much to write except to let you know you are not alone.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9307846

Hi Crit, hope your weather is cooperating with your gardening. Have a good day. Busy one for me. Jb
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9308150

Yes JB. We are finally having some nice weather here. Go figure, it waits until October to be pleasant to be outside!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9308200

crit---

That is because summers SHOULD be like the weather we are having right now. NOT 100*+ every day.

Never been there--but this must be real New England weather. yes?
Or--Seattle Weather--except it rains a lot there. My daughter lives there. Been there a few times...

LOVE, LOVE these days!
I can work outside for hours--and not break a sweat. Like today--put in about 4 hours solid.
Finding more things to try to propagate...Like--how about the Osteosper..??? purple daisies?
Never tried it before--but took a bunch of cuttings today. We will see...We will see...Just playing around.

Took a good look at my "juvenile" CC"s. Can't call them "babies" any more...they are in 4"pots and ready to bloom.

Flash! HD has all their Christmas stuff up already--as of yesterday! HUH??? It's not even Halloween yet!!!
I remember when Christmas stuff went up about 2 weeks before Thanksgiving--and we all fussed over that.

Talk to you all later. Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9308252

JB--

Thanks for your long reply. Sounds like you have your hands full.

NO! I did not give you the "Polka Dancer". I think the only ones I have given you were the
Salmon ones, a pink one (should have a lot of these among my "juvenile" CC's),
Can't remember any more...
I will have some whites(??) hopefully--as I see tags labeled as such. BUT--they were all the
broken off cuttings I gathered at Lowes. Who knows what they will look like? Pink? White? Pink AND white?

JB--PLEASE! PLEASE! I DO NOT want a "cut" from any you sell! The effort is all yours--not mine!
You need the money more than I do.
I appreciate the honor you have bestowed on me already with "Gita's Collection"...
.Hmmmm...I can just see people wondering---"WHO is this Gita??? Must be some
special CC's???. Must be a newly Hybridized variety!" Teeee...heeee...:o)

JB--I know you have talked about rooting your CC's in water before. It just seems so contrary--as CC's are a succulent of sorts?
How big a section do you root in water? One segment? Two? Three--in a "y"?
How much of the segment is immersed in the water? Just the very base--or also part of the leaf?
Glad it works for you! I have never tried water...maybe i should--instead of waiting months for
a cutting to root in soil mix...
Recently there was talk about rooting things in Oasis foam with good results. Have you tried that?

I have a Red CC. I think I have already posted a picture of it in the past--and maybe it was not deemed red enough.
If you think it is "red enough"--I have ONE "juvenile" CC that is red--and is doing VERY well.
I will gladly send you the ready-to-bloom potted "juvenile" of my red one. I still have the big 6" pot of the Red CC.
Will take more cuttings after it has bloomed. OK? I have NO name for it--just "red"...Sorry! AND--Don't you DARE
pay me for any shipping! After you mailed me that Gardenia in an 8" pot by mail--dirt and all! I owe YOU!

You know JB--This all should have been between you and me on a D-mail. Just seems more fair.
Especially all the generous offer you made "Just for me". I do not even know what all the ones you named look like.
(...so--to everyone else reading here--please overlook this, OK? )

JB--You do NOT OWE ME for any plants I have sent you--dear lady! I really have not sent you that much--
just some CC cuttings...You may have propagated a lot of plants from those--and that is all YOUR doing...
YOUR skill and YOUR care. I had nothing to do with that!
Please do not try to save any for me. Sell them if you can. I will check out the varieties you named
when I get a chance--and let you know if maybe one or two tickle my fancy.
Are the ones you named "Holiday Cactus"--or the Real Christmas cactus???

Lots of love and Hugs back to you, my dear old friend! Gita

1--Here is the picture of the red CC I have. Almost throws a bit of magenta--don't you think?
Maybe not all that real red as you are looking for? Let me know if you want the one that is all rooted.
It really looks great--has
2--Close up of the red CC. bloom.

3--Here is the one we ALL have--the Fuchsia and White one. By the way--I repotted my old one of this
today--and found, buried in the old soil a grower's tag for this. It had on it: Sch. Hybrid 9410---purple.
If you/we never had a name for this one--maybe this will help.
How long have I had it??? Who knows? Here are some over the years:The 3 pictures following--with the years listed..

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9308273

JB--

Here is my "juvenile" cutting of the red CC. It is the only one I have tagged--but I have about 5 pots among
these that are not marked at all. May have a couple more red ones among them.
Will have to wait until they bloom.

Just took this to show you. it is YOURS if you want it...nice size--6 'arms" to it--lots of cuttings to be had...

Let me know--and i will send it out tomorrow...Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9308400

Checking in on new thread. Hi all.

Mostly ccs and ec s are epiphytes... and live and grow naturally in cool misty tropical forests. They do not grow in soil there, but in the crotches of trees or rock crevises, where they lodge themselves ...no soil, just moisture and a little debris now and again. So, from my vast experience of one half year with getting cuttings (broken off segments) to root , I found that most of them rooted in water (about 1/4 - 1/2 inch) even my Easter cactus.

Here is an article I found:
Rooting Epiphytic Cactus Cuttings in Arizona - Central Arizona ...
http://www.centralarizonacactus.org/.../ROOTING EPIPHYTIC CACTUS CUTTINGS IN ARIZ... - Cached - Similar
Rooting these difficult epiphytes can be especially troublesome. Since reading a
tip in The Amateur's Digest, I have been experimenting with rooting in water ...

Crit, always good to hear from you.

JB I love the colors in 'Polka Dancer'

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9308972

Please forgive me all of you for not making a blanket offer of plants just now.

Gita has been sending me plants and I , not being a real trader because I do not have time to keep up with orders much less trades, etc. I have neglected to return her kindness and I owe her, even though she says I do not. We seldom have time anymore to dmail each other and when the thoughts hit us on here, we just start to talk and see what happens???? Long boring posts of no interest to anyone. I am so sorry. But, I will not guarantee it will not happen again. LOL And I promise as soon as the busy season is over, I will share with all of you. Honest.

Gita, the marker you found Sch is for Schlumbergera and Hybrid of course means another plant 9410 is how the big growers mark their plants instead of names, until they get the results of the two, and then they usually name it and here they just called it purple. They called that magenta/fuchsia and white plant purple at times. I am not sure why. The genus Schlumbergera has so many hybrids that I get overwhelmed at times when I begin reading about them. The fuchsia/magenta and white one is sometimes thought to be the old Schlumbergera x buckleyi when in fact it is not. I was selling one for years as a S. Buckleyi and just recently after more research, changed it to just a fuchsia because I have my doubts that it is a real one.
The real S. buckleyi is Epiphyllum buckleyi and Epiphyllum rollissonii and that was how the Schlmbergera x
buckleyi came to be. So many of these were started in the wild and were actually S. Truncata (which now some people call The Thanksgiving Cactus because it blooms early.) They are all Schlumbergera and Oh God, I am not good at these things, I worry I am selling something I am not because I get really confused at how they came about. The S. russelliana has the thinner leaves/stems and blooms in February thu April,and is sometimes called the True Christmas Cactus. I have no clue which is the True...so I use the term when it suits me for both the S.russelliana and the S, buckleyi . Again, I just found out that the S. russelliana I have began to show some leaves with the points on them. I realized that I had again been told one thing and it turned out to be not a TRUE ONE. It had to have some hybrid in it and I am sure this is what is happening all over so the best thing to do is to call something you do not know the name of for sure, a HYBRID. Boy if you can make sense of what I just wrote lots of luck. Did not mean to just ramble on but that is the only way I can keep them straight and not be stressed over the real names. LOL

One of my friends who works in a Botanical Garden sent me a picture of the Schlumbergera microsphaerica he finally found. He had it shipped in from Europe. I will show you the picture and I am hoping he can keep it alive. They are so rare and difficult to raise but they are beauties when blooming. It has self fertile flowers and does not appear to cross with other members of the Schlumbergera genus.

TAKE CARE GITA...I would love to have the red baby but, only if I can send you some in place of it. Also, do not ever send me plants later in the week than Tuesday.; They will sit in a truck someplace in Jersey until Monday of the following week. Our weekend deliveries are very bad and I know the plant would not survive.
I send everything Priority and mail it Monday or Tuesday of each week because that guarantees delivery before the weekend all over the USA;

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9308981

Here us the rare S. microsphaerica my friend just got.

Thumbnail by JBerger

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9309300

JB---

Yes--all you wrote about this name and that name just befuddled my mind...such as it is...
My pea brain just does not know much about Botanical names at all. You seem to have everything all straight.

I will try to send the Red "juvenile" out to you on Monday. Will pack it up really good!
And--just wait until there is something I really want from you before you try to even out the score...
Not everything has to be tit-for-tat...You know--I do not have room for too many new plants--
that is why I so gladly share the ones i have. Now--IF i could only stop propagating everything...:o(

The Gardenia you sent to me still is not thriving...It pretty much sat, status quo, all summer.
I did re-pot it in early summer into an 8"pot--one bigger than you sent it to me in.

I fed it with Epson salts--and with Fish Emulsion and later also with some Ironite.
Nothing seems to have helped. All summer it had a few yellowing leaves and many of them have
little black spots on them that seem to go through the leaf--not just on top or bottom. They are still falling off.

I have sprayed, and did apply Systemic Granules a month or so ago. I do not see any insects or anything...
I used a magnifying glass to check for scale or mites--but I do not see anything.
I have now brought it in and it is sitting by an AM sunny window, Best i have to offer it.
NO new leaves to speak of--and it never did make any bloom buds.
Should I expect some kind of miracles come spring???? What should i do with it???

Do you have any advice??? Thanks again--Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9309589

JB--Good morning!

Just took a picture of the yellowing, spotty leaves on my Gardenia.
Does this help? What is it missing????
It did not sit in full sun all summer--but got decent AM sun--if that matters...
When you sent it to me, it was all nice and green..

I expect that all the leaves will fall off--as there is not ONE all green, healthy leaf on this plant.
Take a look...

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal         

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9309592

What kind of light do Xmas cactus need to bloom? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I read at some point that they bloom all year? So there is easter and Thanksgiving cactus. They are relatively easy fast growing cactus?

Side note. A relative just gave me an interesting cactus that their friend was going to toss. It is tall and straight and sends out finger like branches at the top to balance itself and roots in the soil out the other side. I'll have to post a picture here for everyone and of course I'll go to succulents and see if anybody can I.D. it without it knowing the bloom.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9309601

Paul--

Here is a link to Part #5. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243875/
Linking all the parts to one another is a really nice practice.
You could go to part #1 and read your head off...also see a bunch of nice photos from others.

Part #5 started in February of 2012. Did you see it or read it? Were you around here already then?
Right in the beginning, there are all kinds of links that coleup posted to help us all
re care and growing of the Holiday cactus and others. Also--the links to all the previous parts of this discussion.

You may find all the answers to your questions along the way.
Between JB and coleup---how can you not?
Gita

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9309664

Thanks for the reminder Gita. Here is our reference page for all inquiring minds out there

Here are some useful links and info on Holiday Cactus

Our Holiday Cactus Forum Continues to grow. Below are links to our first 4 threads.
Part 1
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1146809/#new
Part 2
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1150081/#new
Part 3
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1227023/#top
Part 4
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1232158/#new
Part 5

There are three main types of Holiday cactus: Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter. All are called Holiday Cacti but each is slightly different in its parentage, form, flower, bloom time and cultural requirements. Schlumbergera and Zygocactus are one and the same. Breeders from Australia and Canada call them Zygocactus. In the threads here we also call them "schlums", "zygos" or just "cc "s . We also chat about their close relatives, epiphyllums or "epis" for short and other houseplants we love and propagate as for most of us "cc"s are houseplants that spend the summer outdoors.

Identification:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3472/

"Recognition and Culture of the Holiday Cacti" by Paul Brunelle
http://cactus.biology.dal.ca/paulS/christmas/christmas.html

"Will the Real CC Please Stand Up?"
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/392/

comparison of leaves
http://cactusepiphytes.pagesperso-orange.fr/z_page_les_cactu...

zygo or schlumbergera?
--http://davesgarden.com/guides/terms/go/2368/
http://happyhobbyhabit.blogspot.com/2010/01/schlumbergera-se...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlumbergera

Books:

-Zygocactus (Schlumbergera) A Comprehensive and Practical Guide by Mark Cobia
-http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Cacti-Schlumbergera-Succulent-Research/dp/0951723472/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325856888&sr=8-1

--Christmas Cactus - The Genus Schlumbergera And Its Hybrids by A. J. S. McMillan and J. F. Horobin. http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Cacti-Schlumbergera-Succulen...

-Epiphyllum and Epiphyllum 2 by Frank Supplie
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&...
--Easter Cactus http://cactus-epiphytes.eu/z_page_les_cactus_de_paques_1.htm

Care/Growing of Thanksgiving/Christmas Cactus
http://mattslandscape.com/schlumbergera_growing/

Care/Growing of Easter Cactus
http://mattslandscape.com/rhipsalidopsis_info/

Articles on CC:
http://cactiguide.com/growcacti/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/381/

http://allthingsplants.com/articles/view/SongofJoy/177/All-a...

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1988-12-10/business/0090...

http://plantsarethestrangestpeople.blogspot.com/2010/08/teas...

Getting CC to bloom:

http:// http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/Indoor/how-to-make-a-christm...

http://www.schlumbergera.org/index.php?cid=81

http://www.rainyside.com/archives/BreedingXmasCactus.html

Pruning and repotting:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/799211/

Propagation

Growing from seed:

http://gardening.stackexchange.com/questions/2649/
can-i-make-my-schlumbergera-truncata-thanksgiving-cactus-produce-seeds.

Helpful Sites

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/contents.htm
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/houseplnts/hpcnt...
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/houseplnts/xmasc...

Commercial Production:

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort/landscape/Hcactus.htm
http://extension.umass.edu/floriculture/fact-sheets/commerci...
http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/foliage/folnotes/holiday.htm

Societies:

The Cactus and Succulent Society of America http://www.cssainc.org/index.php?Itemid=212&id=213&option=co...

Sources of plants:
http://www.mattslandscape.com/schlumbergera/

video:
http://www.stereo.org.ua/2010/schlumbergera-flower-explodes/

This message was edited Oct 19, 2012 10:17 AM

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9309737

Gita, do not feel bad about the gardenia. Everyone of my gardenias had a problem this year with the yellowing of leaves. Even the ones that my friend sent me from Georgia that are not even Aimee. Now, his Aimee is doing fine. Mine are all a mess. I swear it is this different change in weather we have had here. Our plants are not able to adjust as quickly; Honestly, I do not know the answer. Like you I have tried eveything and it is so frustrating to have a healthy plant go downhill like mine and obviously yours have. We can only hope they will come back but if I get to annoyed I will throw them out before that happens.

I did not mean to confuse you with those names. I do not know half the names but only because I am forced to know some of the terms have I learned them. Last night my friend from the botanical garden in Georgia told me he thought the pink one I thought was the one kind actually he thinks is not that and that it is the True Christmas Cactus,(there is that darn term True again) S. Buckleyi (and I thought it was just the opposite) . Now I am confused big time. Oh well, from now on it is being sold as a Pink. LOL

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9309746

Cole, could you please add this link to our list of resource material.

http://weihnachtskaktus.com/arten/schlumbergera-russelliana/

I just got this from my friend at the botanical garden and it is well worth us keeping in our files. Thanks so much,.
You are doing a fantastic job. Love you. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
11:46 AM

Post #9309825

JB--You must be kidding!!!! All it is is a commercial for some kind of weight loss diet.

Even if the web site says something about a Christmas cactus---etc---I did not catch anything like it...
Well--It was a little refresher in reading and trying to understand what was said in German.
I got the gist!

Will click on it again--maybe I proceeded to the wrong link...

Nope! It is still all in German---Ich kan nicht verstehen!!! Meine Deutch ist kaput!

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9309831

OK, JB---Back to the topic on hand...

If you do not mind--I will wait at least a week to send you my CC juveniles.
Maybe by then i will have a better idea what color they really are...

Right now--they just have the first "nubbies" of bloom buds.
I want to send you four--one of each color. Red--Pink--White--and my salmon.
I am positive on the Rred and the Salmon--but not the White and the Pink,
even if it is so marked...

Auf viedersehn!!! Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9310155

Gita- Du bist gut!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9310379

Ach du liebe! Du bist auch sehr gut, Sally! Wie gehts?

Deine freund--Gita

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9310413

I know what you said Gita, I am from Lancaster County, remember. LOL I never even read the writting, I think he wanted me to see the pictures and they are very good examples of this plant. Put it in the file and just look at the pictures. You silly goose. Ach do u liebel yourself. Yes, I Wie gethts. Are we not having fun or are we not having fun. Where else could you get that International feeling other than here? With pictures no less.Ha!
Meine deutch sucks.

Gita, you sent me your Salmon, that is a real beauty, so if you do not want to send anymore of those it is o.k.
The red is what I am really short on. My reds both got damaged in a wind storm and I had to buy new babies which are not doing as well as I had hoped. I want your big red one...not the babies. LOL...well, I can dream can't I????? That would be a sucker to ship and darn pricy.

I had the strangest thing happen today. I got an email from Plant Scout and they said I had a large number of click throughs on Schlumbergera x buckleyi and I took that off Plant Scout weeks ago. So. I wrote to them and ask them how that could happen. Mysterious things happen on this site sometimes.

Must get busy. It is Sat. but I have hundreds of red bows to rewire so we can decorate the Christmas trees. I am seeing red bows in my sleep. Later. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9310622

JB---If I am a silly goose---you are a honky monkey!

Been raking leaves. Just came in to take a break and see who is writing what.
Then I will go outside and suck/shred them up and bag them for posterity and good mulch in 2 yrs.
It is such a gorgeous day!!!made it up to 65* by now. This morning was cool--in the 50's.
Changed clothes once already.

I just re-potted the Red CC and the Salmon one into slightly larger, prettier pots in fresh, yummy mix.
I want to see any squirrels knocking these over!
I cannot tell you how many times the Salmon one has been knocked down from my tall plant stand!
It was just in a 5" plastic pot. Never any damage!
This plant is so sturdy and strong. Thick stems and segments. Very upright growth as well.

Both are just starting to show the miniscule bloom "nubbies" (my spell check loves these terms!).
I put the Salmon one in a heavy, decorated (Aztec-like--but NO colors, just natural) sand-colored pot.
Put the Red one in a black and charcoal designed, very heavy pot.

A couple of days ago I re-potted the OLD fuchsia/white one as well. Its stems are already somewhat woody.
Put little stakes in and tied the plant to them while it settles in.

JB--the picture I posted of the fuchsia/white one was from many years ago (2005 and 2006). It is no longer that big or lush.
Here is the weird part---I have ONLY ONE baby growing from this one. I was surprised when I took
inventory. I think it is because the Mama one is old and did not have too many healthy, firm tips to cut and root.
I gave away one to Ruby also--she asked for one.

As far as sending you the big Red one--that would be difficult. But--after it blooms--I can send you some cuttings.
I have several Salmon "juveniles" growing well. No problem sending you a few again.
You could look for a red one on sale at the Big Box stores or anywhere else. Then you will know
what you are getting...

I really cannot tell from the "nubbies" if the ones I have marked 'white" are really going to be white???
One of them has a "nubbie" that is totally pale--possibly white? Some that I have marked as "white"
seem to have a touch of rose to the "nubbies"...Several pots are marked as Pink???? or white????.
We will see. That is why I wanted to wait one more week. Maybe the "nubbies" will be "bud--dies" by then.
Collecting broken off sections on a rack jammed with potted CC's is a hit or miss--as far as colors go.

Making bows! That is hard on the hands...By now--I could not do it any more--have Arthritis in all my fingers.
I worked for a florist one spring season (back in 1987) and whenever we had nothing to do, we all made bows.
Hundreds of bows! Every color of bows! They were all on the picks--as everything they sold went out the door
with a complimentary bow stuck into the pot.
This florist is an institution in Baltimore. Been around for close to 100 yrs. It is family owned.
VERY popular and very expensive. But--it is also in a part of town where that is the norm. Towson.
They have greenhouses (in another location) and grow their own annuals and such, which they also sell.
People think nothing of having a custom arrangement of garden plants made for them for mega-bucks.

To this day--whenever I go to the BIG, annual Spring Flower and Garden Show here at the Timmonium Fairgrounds--
I get to see my old boss--Joey Radebaugh. He always has remembered me. That is sweet.
Now and then--if I am cruising down their street--I stop in and get to say "Hi" to all the gals still working there.

Here are a couple of links to their location. Gita

http://www.radebaugh.com/ and http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/radebaugh-florist-greenhouses-towson/c1aa2ea7a2569caf.html

Remember when I sent you this? One of the pink babies bloomed in May of this year.
Should see more...soon...

Thumbnail by Gitagal

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9311285

Little buds are popping out on all the hybrids (Thanksgiving Cactus) so exciting a time of year.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9312025

The two that usually open first are the Zygocactus Yellow and the Orange. Here is this years first blooms. I am amazed I even get blooms anymore the way I take cuttings from these plants. I should let them rest a year I suppose.

Off to begin shipping. Take care and have a great day.

Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger         

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9315215

JB--

I just looked over all my CC juveniles. They ALL look so good! Healthy and strong!
I still do not see color on too many of them--so I cannot realy say, for sure, what it will be.

I am trying to choose for you the plants that have a lot of "segments" on them, thinking
that will give you more chances at propagating.
There are some really long-stemmed ones--with a lot of segments--but no tags. Oh, well...

I will send you, Monday, whatever i think is what. Then--I may need to send you some more later,
once they have bloomed...I am waiting for that as well.

Pretty soon, I can go hunting, again, for broken off segments at my HD or at Lowes.

Fun--Fun--Fun...Try to survive the Holidays, my Dear! I do not even knoe=w how
you do all you do at your age.

Here is a picture of my 2 trays of "juvenile" CC's. Gita

Look out for the storm, "Sally" coming out way. Coleup has started a separate thread just for this anticipated storm.
Check it out.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9315750

Gita, please do not mail the plants this week. The storm will definitely affect the USPS DELIVERIES in my area. In fact there is talk of the Gov. planning an emergency status by Tues. or Wed. and most everything stops big time. My daughter is the only one with emergency status for the State and my SIL for the Township. So, I am pretty much stuck here watching out for the farm. No deliveries of any kind will happen. So, Please wait another week.

Must go, Lynn was at Lowes by 7:30 to pick up some supplies and the parking lot was full and people were standing outside. We are not in harms way with the water but the wind here gets nasty on normal days, much less at Cat. 1 hurricane. I am off to town to pick up some food and prescriptions, etc. See you all later when I get back.
We have all the outside furniture, etc. to put away tomorrow, so we will be kind of busy. See you later. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9315928

JB--

I will be happy to wait another week. Did not think about the storm!
Thanks for reminding me.

Today, I am making room to bring in all the small pots of everything-including the CC's.
Had to shuffle a few things around...

All the power lines around my development are underground--but I am sure their
feeder lines, at some point, are above ground.
My biggest fear in all these storms is that the bigger branches of my big Silver Maple may come down.
She is a good 45+ years old. Not an unhealthy tree. Structure is good. But the branches sure are high.

Please, please stay safe! Will be thinking of you, Gita

Here is my Maple. Just went out and took this picture.
My house is on the left...

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9317458

Gita, back on Oct. 20th you posted "Ach du liebe". I remember hearing my German Grandmother saying that "quite often" when the cousins were at her house. But I never knew what it meant...just that someone was probably in trouble. lol

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9317688

crit--

Literally--it means "Oh, you love"...BUT--it is an expression that would be equivalent to
"Oh, my goodness!!".

Expressions and sayings in different languages do not always translate well into another language.
It may simply not make any sense when you try to do it.

Aufviedersehn, literally--until again I see you. So--"till we meet again".
Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9317805

In my family we said and still say "Ach du lieber strosac!"

Usually said with a throwing up of hands gesture and often said by an adult
when coming upon a mess a child or children have made. Think of what a neatly raked
pile of leaves looks like after many children have jumped in it! Or how the living room looks
after all of the presents have been enthusiastically opened at Christmastime.
We were told it means "Oh what a lovely bunch of straw!"
Never a scold or criticism but an expression of endearment.
I just said it yesterday as I fit in the last of my plants on my porch in advance of hurricane Sandy!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9317907

Gita, here are the trees I worry about they were planted over 50 years ago, more close to 80 years in fact. I have them cared for yearly but this year I ran short of cash so I did not have them done. I pray if they do not survive this storm at least they fall away from the house. The wind needs to come directly from the East for that to happen.
There are three on the right side of the lane coming into the farm and the one closest to the dog run is the one that scares me. It could land in the kitchen and dining area even farther into the house. It is so tall I could not get it all on the picture. The dog kennel is attached to the heater room off the kitchen on the right of this picture. Keep your fingers crossed for all of us with old trees. The wind alone is not the problem, but the 10 inches of rain, if the sandy soil is already saturated could leave the roots just go.

Thumbnail by JBerger

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9318279

Beautiful old trees JB. Will keep you AND the trees in my prayers!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 4, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9324201

I haven't kept up with this thread for ages and ages but decided to report in that I too am seeing lots of budding on many of my cactus. Judy, one of the cuttings you sent me last year has one stalk with a full bloom. Just gorgeous...a pinkish/salmony color. Beautiful.

The two larger pots of CC you had for me at Sally's are not budding yet. I have them in very low light currently and they probably need to be transferred elsewhere in order to have more light. If they do bloom for me this year, I am sure they will be really beautiful.

JB, how did you make out during the storm? Sounds really messy up that way. Thankfully our area was spared of much of anything this go round. For that I am very grateful.

Anyway...happy blooming all.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9324541

JB--

I will try to mail out your CC's either Monday or Tuesday.
I really cannot tell which is which. The one I thought was red,
has a light colored "nubby". There does seem to be a white coming...in the pot
marked pink. There is a one marked pink--and that has the white buds.
I know which are the salmon for sure.

If I really do not have a red--I will send you cuttings after mine blooms.
You could go and check the Big Box Stores and see if they get a red one in--and buy it.

OK--I am very, very sleepy and tired. been up before 4AM. Store meeting at 6AM.

Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9324567

Gita,
Tuesday is Election Dat so I am not sure there will be mail service...best to check..Also, Have you heard that JB is okay after hurricane Sandy as she has yet to check in anywhere I know to look.

Ruby,
the two large cactus from me at Sally's swap are Easter Cactus so they probably won't have buds by Christmas.

JB Please let us know how you are doing when you can. Hope all is well.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9324681

I think she is just overly busy with her Christmas tree farm and making bows and wreaths and all that.
Frankly--I do not know how she does it all! She is what? about 90 yrs old?

I will have to send her stuff out tomorrow then. Latest on Wednesday--it should get there in a couple of days...
She said she preferred mailing things out on Mondays or Tuesdays--as that way,
the shipments will not sit somewhere in the cold.

I have not, specifically, heard about anything from her after the storm.
Hope everything is OK.

You know--I really need to hit the sack. been up now 18 hrs. straight...Yawn...
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 5, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9325361

Well DUH...thanks Coleup for setting me straight on the proper holiday for said cactus. I won't worry now. Heck, that will give me plenty of time to put them in better light after the Christmas Cactus have already bloomed and I can trade their spots.

I cannot describe, but I know that you all know what I am saying when trying to describe the pleasure I derive from seeing Holiday Cactus bloom. The appear when all around the summer and most of the fall blooms are done and gone. It is just such a big pick me up when seeing the holiday cactus bloom.

I too hope that JB will check in and let us know how she is making out.

Ruby

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9327819

I am here. Just had a small set back. Went to my cardiologist on Tues. for my regular check up and was admitted and had a pacemaker put in. Long story and I do not have time now to explain. I am home. a bit restricted with not being able to use my left arm for certain things, so I promise as soon as I catch up with things I will tell you all about it.
Today, with all the storm damage we have had almost a foot of snow. Someone sure pissed off Mother Nature.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9327840

Yea JB. So good to hear from you. Sensed something more than your usual busy ness was going on. Wish we all were closer physically to each other in times of need (or when we want to celebrate!). I'll let others on our storm checkin thread know we have heard from you. Our thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery. Bet your new "puppy" missed you lots! Judy

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9328023

I was only gone overnight but I had someone sleep with him. LOL Hugs. I feel good just tired. You do not get much rest in the hospital and it was so unexpected that I was not prepared. I am just glad to be home. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9328230

Wishing you a speedy recovery, JB. Now that your "ticker" will be ticking away on a regular beat--
you may just feel a lot better...eventually.

I SOOOO admire all you do at your age! You are a role model for those who fear getting old.
Keeping busy and active makes you forget that you ARE old. The mind never ages--just the Bod.

Same here! To me--it is all "Mind over matter". If I don't mind--it does not matter! ...:o)
Something "breaks--it gets fixed--and life goes on.

Gita

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
3:16 AM

Post #9328539

I, of course, wish you a Speedie recovery as well!! < =D Will be keeping you in my prayers that that recovery keeps speeding right along. I'm really glad to hear that you've made it through all the storm crud ok.. phhewwww!!!!!!!!!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 9, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9328693

I too hope the pace maker will be just what the doctor ordered and that things will turn around for you in terms of any complaints you have had of late. I would think that after you rest a bit, you should see a major difference in how you feel all the way around...mentally, physically and emotionally. Best of luck and please do update.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9328919

Glad you're doing OK JB.
My MIL had to get one unexpectedly a few years ago. But she had a scary emergency episode that led to it so I am glad you were spared scare on top of surprise. She has gone on totally unfazed by it, just routine checks. Best of luck to you!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9333451

JB--Here is a picture show for you. My CC's are starting to bloom all over.
NOT all the little ones--but the bigger ones are going gung-Ho.

The red one dropped a bunch of stems when i was moving it around.
The problem, in this case is that the very deepest section that was supporting that
particular stem rotted out. Then all the above sections caved in and just fell off.
Guess who is going to get them??????? Look for a bubble envelope soon.

Anyhow--here are some pictures for you:

1--This is the red one I just mentioned. it is not a true, deep red--as you can see
that it has some white near the base of it. I have another pot of red--but it is still in bud.
This one may be a deeper red.
2--Close up of the bloom. Would YOU call this red???
3--The "Old faithful"--my Salmon CC.
4& 5-Salmon--closer up

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 14, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9333460

A few more---Others are not yet worthy of photographing.

1--Here is the old Fuchsia and white. See how limp the stems are compared to the salmon one?
2--Here are some of the salmon "juveniles" blooming.
3--My 3 Brugs in their winter quarters. All "naked"...

Gonna be nasty cold tonight. predicted here--upper 20's to low 30's.
Freezing weather for sure.

Stay warm and safe, dear! Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal      

rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 16, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9334559

Gita, I too am getting some pretty shows with some of my Christmas or Thanksgiving Cactus. Most of mine are small ones and only a bloom or two on each so far. I will take that though. I love seeing them.

Thank for sharing your pictures...the salmon colored are gorgeous.

Ruby

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9334644

Here I am again. Like a bad penny I keep popping up. Anyhow, Gita Girl, you sent me so many beautiful cuttings with markings I must tell you I love you and your kindness is overwhelming. You are so very special. Everyone on this thread is just so special, Thank you all for every little word you sent to me. I read and re-read many of the posts and I am so lucky to be a part of such a wonderful group. Thank you for having me.

Gita, here is a bloom of what you had marked White???? (yes, the ??? were on the marker) and you were correct. ?????? is very good. It is more orange and yellow and pink. It is absolutely gorgeous but I have no clue what color you would call it. : ) I think I will name it Gita's Special when I start to sell it.

Also, Melindi is blooming. I just love her and this is her first year to bloom for me. The Red color is not a pure red either.

All the Thanksgiving Cactus (Zygocactus) are blooming just now or are at least pushing buds. I love this time of year.

Best get to work on balancing the check book. Here in NJ we go broke quickly and it is nearing the end of the month...or soon because my check book seems to show it had soon be payday. Love you all. JB

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9334647

Gita, sorry I forgot to answer your question...I think that would be a red...My one eye is just not the best judge.
It looks a lot like Melindi or am I wrong??????????????

That Salmon is the most healthy looking plant and the babies are just as healthy. They are strong and big. Just love them.

I had a customer come to the farm today from south jersey and she picked up 6 nice plants. She told me the last order she got from Hirts was mismarked and she did not get all the colors she ordered. I have had that happen to me one or two times and of course I made it good, but this is something that I understand has been happening to people buying from Hirts.. I have never had that happen and they have good plants. She said some of her friends have had it happen. Too bad. A few bad comments like that going around certainly can hurt business. Especially if you do not make it good. Must get moving. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9334968

JB--How about calling that "Pink Champagne"????

It almost looks like the salmon one--but has that pinkish blush in it.
I sent you 2 salmons. One Red, one White (?) and one Pink.
Will see what they bloom out to be.

Gita

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9335355

OK, Gita's Pink Champagne...New Hybrid we found. Very rare...so rare in fact we have no idea where to find another. LOL.

We will see what comes next. This is so fun...even my new pacemaker is having fun. I am getting back to normal thank God with a few tiny little crappy things on the side which are just annoying. Must get a pedicure. Talk later. Hugs to all. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9335372

JB--

Be careful making up names! Someone may sue you--that knows the real name--or,
worse yet, if someone hybridized that--and it actually has a real name.
It's OK if you refer to it that way in your own records...just for fun.
This must be one of the cuttings I got at either Lowes or HD.

My second pot of the Red CC is now blooming. I think it is the same as the other pot.
I was hoping it would be more solid red...:o(. There must be a red that does not have
the white at the base of the bloom...will keep looking...

1--Close up of the bloom on the "other pot" of the red CC.
2--Close up of the bloom on the first pot I posted (above). Same? Yes?
3--One of the smaller pots of the Salmon CC now in full bloom. See my new plant behind it?
The "Rattlesnake Plant"? It is a Calathea. Shelled out $20 to buy it.

This ladder top, I always take pictures of plants on, sits next to my bed and holds all my
tennis shoes I wear. It is right by a bright, S-facing window--so a perfect spot for taking pictures w/o a flash.
Behind it is my closet door--I have to close it to make a nice back-drop.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9335421

Oh I know Gita...I would never use a name other than Gita on your plants because none of us know for sure they were not ever patented. When I get cuttings from people I only use the color and their name so I do not get into any trouble. I do not need more trouble.

What do you do with a snake plant? We used to have them growing at the house when I was a kid and I never saw them do anything if I remember?

Those reds are so pretty but as you say we still have to find a red red red. Right? I am going to keep looking also.

Time to work on wreaths and cones for the Christmas store so I will be coming and going on here for a few days until I get ready to open Friday. The season is about to begin here on the Christmas Tree Farm.

I also have 9 plants to ship Monday before I do anything else, so forgive me if I am slow in replying. Love you all. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9335544

JB--
Make sure you keep an eye out for that bubble envelope full of cuttings from my red CC.
The ones that fell off the Mama plant. It should arrive today (Saturday)...

More for you to propagate...

I am impatient for all my "juvenile" CC to bloom. Doesn't look like they all will--unless they do it way later...
I want to know the colors--for sure!

HEY! JB---Looks like this Thread has become a two-way conversation of late...:o)
YOOOHHOOOOO! Everyone else! Your CC's must also be blooming.
Show off your pictures!!!!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9335672

Here are the babies. Salmons, whites, pinks, yellows, orange, fucshia, peaches and cream is all that is left.

I sold all but a couple of new plantings on the lower shelf. This is all I have left for this year.

Thanks Gita. The red arrived late today and they were cold. A few buds fell off and they look a bit on the weak side. I gave them a drink...actually set them in tepid water to see if I can make them warmer and see if they perk up until morning. I am not sure but it looks to me as if you OVERwatered them, or they got cold prior to shipping. They just do not look like your normal cuttings. Beautiful red buds I sure hope I can make them better. Tomorrow I will begin my therapy for them. LOL Thanks again.

Will see you all later. Time to get creative and do my thing for the Christmas Store. Hugs.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9335776

JB---

Some of the branches of some other CC's look limp like that. I think that it is
mostly because the ONE section that rooted and produced the growth, gave up and rotted.
Yes--it may be that I over watered these, but even the others on the same plant look kind of limp.

This pot may have 2 different colors in it--you should see the other half in this same pot.
What makes the sections paper thin with NO "padding" inside? Like--you can see there is no "meat" in them.
I should just pinch back all this lanky growths to a reasonably fat section and let it re-grow.

I removed the calloused, semi-rotting bottom sections and sent you the pieces above that.
Whenever I see this limp stuff, I always suspect that something below the soil is not well.
Hate to just pull them up--but maybe i should. Maybe I do over water...
They were not cold before I shipped--they were inside. Maybe they got chilled somewhere on the way.
No harm--toss them if they do not recover. Really!

Well--Hope some of the sections will plump up for you. Gita
LindaM777
Houston, TX

November 17, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9335807

Hi everyone!! I am having no luck in finding CC here in the Houston area. After reading your posts I was wondering if any of you sell your cuttings. I have looked on ebay but seems they are mostly TC being passed off as CC. Are either one of you selling on ebay or in private I would so love to buy several cuttings. The more the merrier...

Thanks,
Linda in Houston

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9335831

Hi, Linda---

Most people call the Thanksgiving (or Holiday) cactus a Christmas cactus. Just common word usage.

There is an actual true, Christmas Cactus--as you may know. There is also an Easter Cactus.

I have never owned a true Christmas cactus. Someone did send me some cuttings a while ago--
and I believe they are the Christmas cactus.

Here is a link that will help you see the differences. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3472/

If you go back to the top--and then back to part #5--coleup has posted all kinds of links there to help anyone out.

You may want to send JB a D-mail. She sells a lot of her plants. I do not. I share if I have extras.
Mailing a whole plant to Texas would take a bit of travel time...
Have you looked into some bigger nurseries in your area? Or--some catalogs may offer what you are looking for.

Lets hope JB sees this and offers you some more information.

Hope some of this helps. Gita

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9336441

I spent some time today reading these holiday cactus threads. I never knew that there were Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter cactus. I've had one or two over the years, that I now know were Thanksgiving cactus. However, I have been notorious for house plant neglect, and they are long gone. I went up the hill to visit my mother this afternoon and took a good look at the holiday cactus that she has. They are definitely Christmas vs Thanksgiving cactus, and were my Grandmother's! The three pots of plants are still alive after 50 years, but they are not full or lush by any means. The leaves are also a yellowy pale green vs a nice healthy looking dark green - maybe because she keeps them on a sunny window sill vs somewhere with less light? I took a few cuttings and will try to root them and get them to grow. I'm pretty excited about the little project, especially with the connection to my Grandmother.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9336457

Terri that is so 'way cool'. You can name your cuttings after your Grandmother! And, hey, if they have survived for half a century, somebody's doing something right. They really old heirloom ones I've seen have quite woody stems (oops, lower segments) yet they are charming in a way that no money or sophisticated (new fangled) techniques could ever touch.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2012
4:49 AM

Post #9339678

Happy Thanksgiving all.

I've "ignored" my Holiday cactus (and these threads) since moving to FL. The summer was spent getting hibiscus and other more tropical plants in the ground.
We are now getting into chilly evenings so was bringing the plants indoors - mostly Orchids. Then I got to my 2 "antique" cactus and found them full of buds. One is so elderly the bottom of the stalks look like wood and the put is so old it's beginning to crumble. My Mom had these for as long as I can remember. They have always bloomed at least 2X year. I think the move here confused them a bit but I'm thrilled to see they are going to provide some holiday color in another couple weeks.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9339803

Sorry to have been among the missing but this is the beginning of our only Sale season and we need to make it between now and Christmas Eve, or wait another year and see if things get better. The hurricane and noreaster we had all within two weeks gave these babies a shock but they hopefully will suvive. We have over 500 baby trees that thank God has some washout but not too much that could not be fixed. They all look pretty sick and it will be Spring before we can tell if they are alive.

I have only one that I really think is as close to a true Christmas Cactus as any I have seen on eBay or anywhere else. I would love to get my hands on a real one but there is a hybrid in so many of them that you can hardly find them. I think there is also a question in my mind what is really a true CC. The one I have that I have named Petra's Pink is the only one of all of mine that begins to bloom at Christmas. In fact, it is only now showing tiny buds and it has a month to go, so it is pretty much on time. I sent pictures of its leaves to the Cactus Guide.com and they agree that it is different but that there are signs of a hybrid in the shape of the leaves.

I feel the only Schlumbergera that is close to a True Christmas cactus is S. russelliana and that blooms late December into February. That is the one that I think I have but mine has a Hybrid in it someplace. LOL
You could drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what is a True. If you read the book Christmas Cacti by A.J.S, McMillan and J.F. Horobin you will be even more confused...so find one that blooms close to Christmas and just be happy...who cares what it is called. I am getting too old for all this knowledge.

My pacemaker is working and I am still healing. Had no idea a small procedure like that could take so much out of you. They tell me it will be at least two months before I am allowed to put my left arm above my head to reach for anything. Can't you see me remembering that? Have a wonderful day my friends and love those plants. They will love you back. JB

This is the Petra's Pink stem and you can see it does not have the hybrid points on it. It is a much thinner and finer plant than most of the old hybrids. Hope this helps.

Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger      

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9339861

JB--

Good morning and Happy, yummy Thanksgiving to you! Hope you take this Day off and chill a bit.

A while back "birder" from MO (is that Montana or Missouri??) sent me some cuttings from her true CC. No name???
I potted them all in a cute clay planter and they are growing well.
She is another DG'er that thinks I walk on water...so sweet!

Here are a couple pictures I just took of it. New growth coming from one of them. Yeah! They are on their way!!

In your Post above--how do you know by looking at a real CC that it has some "hybrid" in it?
Is it all about the points? Mine looks pretty "real"--right? Be a couple years before it blooms...

Gita

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9339925

OK I just got a request from my sister in law for a cacti. I have a small little plant from last year that's just blooming now so I'll break off a piece of that for her, but I'm looking for a salmon and a pink/white thanksgiving cacti. JBerger im going to have to hook with you or keep my eye out for the sales at HD, or broken pieces ;)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9339966

Paul---

You must know by now that I have salmon CC's. The best color to boot.

Is your sister local here, or will you have to mail it to her? Where?

I will be happy to send you a rooted cutting of my Salmon CC.
Most of the ones JB has are from me...

*****Cuttings are best taken AFTER the CC has bloomed.

Let me know...Gita

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9340002

Gita, that is great. I will actually be driving uo to nj in a few weeks, possibly we could work something out. Ill DM you.

She is in springfield, va. But I see them frequently.

Quick tangent: tugged on the brugs today and all were nice and tight. :)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9340062

Paul--

I will also be driving to NJ in a few weeks--like on Dec. 24th. Do it every year--to spend Christmas
with my sister's Clan. Otherwise--I do not do much of anything here...Bah--Humbug!!!

Will look for your D-mail. Yeah on the Bugs all rooting--I knew they would!
What will you do with all of these Brugs next year?

I imagine, at this very moment, you are stuffing your face somewhere with turkey and all the fixings...

I will give you a 4" potted CC for your SIL. I have several...

Here is a group of some of my smaller, Salmon CC's. They are all just about dome blooming now.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9340157

Happy Thanksgiving all my Holiday Cactus friends. Hope you all are enjoying wonderful blooms,

Read an article several months ago now where the writer claimed that her cactus did much better
and repeat bloomed more prolificly if she did not move it outside for the summer but kept it in same
spot where it was happy indoors.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9340581

Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Sorry I am a bit late but things are so busy here I can hardly keep up with it just now. I am still not back to normal energy wise.

I can believe the article you read about the CC blooming when not moved. I have had the same thing happen with mine. It is amazing what beasts of habit they become.

Here is a picture of one of the Hybrids Gita sent to me. The buds are a deep salmon when they come out and when they bloom they are a pale salmon. This picture shows you both.

Thumbnail by JBerger

rubyw
Crozet, VA

November 26, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9342788

Hello t All - some interesting reading. It seems that I too own a lot of Thanksgiving Cactus versus Christmas Cactus. For several weeks I have been enjoying a few blooms here and there. It is always so exciting and some how heart lifting to see them bloom after seeing mostly brown around for some months now. Coleup, thanks so much for mentioning about possibly leaving the CC in spot versus moving in and out doors. I might try that this year. I believe that some of my older ones which in years past, I left indoors all year round, did seem to bloom better for me too. I will give some thought to doing that this year.

I haven't snapped any photos, but will try to do so with two of mine that are currently newly blooming.

Terri, so glad that you have another new interest. It will be fun to watch your CC and see how it does. Please know too that there will probably be some offers at some of the swaps for more if you are so inclined. What I need to do this year that I haven't been faithful about doing in years past is to mark their colors so I will know what I am giving away or selling.

Anyway...will try to take some photos soon and share. Hope that you continue to heal and recover JB. Oh yeah, any sort of surgery takes a lot out of a person. Go easy on yourself.

Ruby

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

November 26, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9343099

Thanks Ruby, I packed plants for several hours this morning and took them to the P.O. then the neighbor came to cut some of our big old Christmas Trees to use the greens for their wreaths and blankets at their farmers market.
Too tired to talk. later. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9344086

JB---

Update as some of my other CC's start to bloom...

1--This is the 2nd pot of red that bloomed. Sorry00it is out of focus
2--In the same pot as above--there was a clump that has now bloomed--
a beautiful, deep pink--with touches of white in the bottom.
3--Same beautiful pink--two more blooms.
4--Then--on the windowsill where my "babies" are residing--this one opened up.
I had it labeled as "white" from HD gathered sections---but it has this lovely tinge of pink.

That is all that is new now. I may have to separate the Pic. #1 red one from the pot of
all pink stems. Hate to do it--but may have to.

OK! So much for the latest update. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9412122

JB--

Wanted to show you how well all the CC's that you sent me are doing.
As I am always running out of space to put plants--I had an AHA! moment...

I have 2 "task lights" (single 2' bulb) under my kitchen cabinets that sit above the counter top
on either side of my stove. Why can't i use these to put some small plants under? WHY????

And--so I did. On one side are all your CC's and on the other are my 2 Rex Begonias and some small pots with cc's rooting.
Just enough light to make them all happy.

Question:
Since your CC's are all growing so nicely--should I pinch off the tips of some of them
and root them? OR---is there a chance they will bloom again in March-or so?
Should I wait until then?
Very, very few of my CC's bloom twice. Have a pink one blooming a bit right now.

Thanks, G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
10:47 AM

Post #9412131

How great the look, Gita. You certainly have a green thumb. My Holiday Cactus are all still blooming. Some of the ones you sent me are still blooming. Not exactly sure why because it is time to take cuttings but I just want to let them bloom until they are finished. I just used some of the granules you recommended on the big old stock plants. This is the time of year when the mealy bugs start to get into the older plants and so keep your eyes open. My one old plant was looking so sad and I could not figure out why. Nothing I could see on it but I had not looked under the leaves. I went to wash it off yesterday and found mealy bug, big time. So, it got a good bath and spraying and granules. So, since I had it out they all got some. That is really easy to apply. Love it.

If you are sure your plants are finished blooming you can take cuttings if you want. Thanks again for sharing those pictures.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
2:31 PM

Post #9412363

Gita, how long does it take before CCs start blooming? I have the cuttings you gave me last spring, which are growing nicely but not yet blooming.

Also, I accidentally broke off a large piece while I was watering. Is this normal? Do you need to be gentle with handling them, or are they unusually weak because I'm not caring for them correctly?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
3:09 PM

Post #9412399

ss--

I don't know what to tell you. I have no "methods" --and I do not fuss over them.
Maybe if I did more, especially fertilized some, they would bloom sooner.
I keep everything outside all summer--even the babies, but they sit in total shade
just outside my front door. I hose them down when I think of it.

Usually, if the new plants are big enough--they will bloom around Thanksgiving.
All of mine have yet to bloom (from the new ones I started a couple years ago).
Some have--and then I make sure I tag them with the color.
And, of course, I have started a whole new batch this past fall again.
All raaided from the CC rack at Lowes.

Remember--they need the darkness of the night and cool temps to set bud.
By the time I bring all my bigger pots inside, they all have tops covered in buds

JB would be the one to ask---she can grow them VERY successfully.
She will probably read your and mine Post here anyways. Ask her!

The plants she is referring to, that I gave her, were just cuttings--and she says
they won't stop blooming. Wish I had that problem!
Of course--she has a greenhouse and an actual Plant selling business.
She has done this for a long, long time.

The plants in the kitchen that I took a photo of--She MAILED those to me--in pots yet!
The box was huge--full of paper padding...I cannot believe it!
When I unpacked them all, the only casualty was ONE leaf section broken off ONE plant.

I would suggest you trek back to Part #1 of this Thread and read and read...
You will learn all you need to know. They are all connected--like "We came from Here"...
Besides--all of us were involved in it--lots of links given and lots of pictures posted.
The interest has vaned a bit. Maybe everyone learned all they needed...

The piece you broke off--was in near thew soil? Sometimes I have had a whole section break off
because the stem in the soil just dried up or rotted out.

Then I clean up the bottom to fresh green and pot up the whole thing--or break it apart
and pot up sections of it.
Sometimes these damaged sections are so dessicated that they just fall off.
****DO NOT break or cut off a segment!!! TWIST IT OFF!!!

Sorry--I think reading over the old posts or asking JB--right here!--is the best thing.

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2013
6:09 PM

Post #9412569

JB--

Use the granules generously on your older plants--and water them in every few days.
May take up to 2-3 weeks before the plant juices get toxic.

Don't let the Mealy Bugs fool you. They hide in places you would never thing to look.
Like--where aa leaf comes out next to a stem. Or--in folds and furls of a leaf.
Under flaky old stems. Their "nurseries" are the fluffs you see. The adult Mealy Bug is not fluffed.
Sometimes I used to dribble alcohol right down all the nooks and crannies to kill whatever is
hiding there.

It will be a LONG haul--if you have Mealy Bugs!!! Spray them often with dish soap mixed into water.
Regular "Joy" is recommended. The trick to killing M.B. is to suffocate them.
Even though their "shells" are waxy--they still need air to live. Horticultural Oil is good too, of course.

Keep small bottles of Alcohol and Q-Tips handy--in case you see one or two.
Mix Alcohol and water and keep a spray bottle of it around as well. Do not spray straight alcohol--
dilute it. Not sure of the ratio. 50-50 would work--or is that too strong?
Anyone?????

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/greenhs/htms/mealybugs.htm

http://houseplants.about.com/od/pests/a/Mealybugs.htm

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9413205

These are some that are blooming in the house. A few are blooming in the GH but mostly the ones in the house.
#1 is Christen
#2 Twilight Tangerine
#3 Yellow Zygo bud
#4 Malinda

In addition to them, the Salmon babies Gita sent me are blooming. The old Salmon Hybrid Petra gave me is blooming. The two old Fuchsia are also blooming. They are in the house, some on the window sill of East and North windows. Others are on the divider between the bird room and the dining area. The two old fuchsia are in my bedroom that has a south exposure. Get no sun, just light . Temp. in the house is usually 70 deg.

Gita I will water those plants again soon. Thanks for reminding me. JB BTW, did the person who ask about how you get them to bloom get her answer? If not, let me know and I will hunt that information for her. I think it is in the history of the cc. I am sorry I did not reply but I have been working on the taxes and just finished today. Let me know. Have a good day. We got about 8 inches of snow. BLAH!

Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger   

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
12:30 PM

Post #9413234

JB--

I answered the best I could--just 2 posts above yours.
Mine are not blooming either. They may be too cold--too dry--too neglected...who knows.

The ones i sent you the pictures of--in my kitchen--are the ones you sent me in that big box.
You said I have a green thumb---well, you had the green thumb as they looked pretty good when
I unpacked them.
Now they are looking pretty good to me too.
Do you think they may put out some bloom later in the spring? I'd love to see all the colors...

There is one trying to bloom--a med. pink one with a bit of white in the throat. Still in bud...

Thanks again. Gita

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
12:48 PM

Post #9413260

I think they need to slightly be pot bound and their roots are just not mature enough. Give them a few weeks yet. I do not remember if they were blooming before you got them not. I have a feeling they have bloomed already and are resting now. I thought I sent you the pictures of their colors. Age catching up with me I suppose. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
2:02 PM

Post #9413357

I am still watering all my CC's--as needed.

Should I stop?
I am afraid they will get all dessicated and limp if i don't water at all...
.What do you say? G.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2013
3:04 PM

Post #9413404

Mine get water when the tops feel dry. Stick your finger down in to be sure if they are dry. Do not give them too much. I also water with cold water. I am going to bed. I am tired of this snow and need to get some sleep. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2013
8:56 AM

Post #9416584

So many of mine are in such small containers (2" maybe) that i could never stick my finger in it.
I also go by them "looking dry in top"--but I also pick the containers up and go by weight.
That is almost a better gauge of how dry any given pot is.

Anyway--wanted to show you one of my started (Dec, 2011) "baby" CC's blooming.
This one I had labeled: "Deep pink with white accents". It does not show much white anywhere on it..
The picture shows more white than there is. May just be a reflection? I would, almost, call this one
"solid pink". (pic.#1)

The other one has not opened fully yet. (picx. #2) The fat bud looks really deep pink.
I took a picture--but will post it again when it fully opens. This one was started as a cutting Dec, 2011 as well.

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2013

Post #9419992

The pink CC (above) has now opened all the way.
It is an almost solid, bright pink. The camera shows white highlights--
but i do not see them just looking at it.

Also--the one on the right (still in bud) is slowly opening.
It is going to be red with some white at the base.

Both of these are from cuttings taken in dec. 2011. Decent growth...;o)

Baby steps...Baby steps...

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
12:53 PM

Post #9425668

Hey you Cactus lovers...how cold are you? My Gosh I am freezing my old butt off these past few days with the wind chill and cold temperatures. Just popped in to say Hi and tell you that I saw a group of new CC lovers struggling along with many questions that our links posted here could answer. I took it upon myself to give them the link to this forum and if you see some strangers here with questions, please answer them or tell them where they can find the answers. I hope you don't mind but they were all in the beginner forum and they looked like they needed some assistance. I love sharing with those who actually care enough to ask.

Think I will watch CNN and have a glass of wine. It must be 5 o'clock somewhere.
I really don't care if it isn't I am cold and tired. I potted over 50 cuttings of the disocactus x hybrid today and I have little prickly things in my hands and I am cranky. I hate that plant but I love the flowers and want to share some with you all if you care to have them (if they grow). We will see. Stay warm and pop in and say hi so I know I am not alone here. Hugs. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
3:26 PM

Post #9425861

JB--

An easy way to remove 'little prickly things" from your fingers is to get some duct tape
and plaster it all over your hands in different areas--then peal off slowly.
it will pull many of the prickly things out.

repeat as needed--pulling the tape off in the other direction. Gita

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
3:33 PM

Post #9425872

You are amazing Gita. I had gloves on but those little buggers went right thru them. LOL JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
3:47 PM

Post #9425885

If you wear the latex gloves Dr.'s and Nurses wear--the stickers do not go through
them that easily. I always garden in those--as i want to "FEEL' what i am handling.

They are cheap to buy in boxes of 50 or 100 in Walgreen's. They also come in vinyl.
Sometimes they go on sale-- buy one get one free...

HD sells them...Lowes sells them--almost any Pharmacy sells them.
Use and discard if you have been handling something "icky". Cheaper than regular gloves.
You can get the sturdier, blue ones that are also disposable.
To turn them back right side out once you have pulled them off--blow in them--like a balloon.
POP! All fingers pop back out!

To re-use them, but you have a hard time getting them back on--sprinkle a bit of talcum
powder in the gloves--or on your hands. I get about 3 good on and off sessions. Then I can them.

Now--to protect your upper arms--cut off the foot of old, long socks and use the upper part to pull up over
your arms--ribbed end down around your wrist. When they get dirty--just launder them.

Frugal ole Me! Gita

My LR and DR aka--"The Jungle"...:o)

Thumbnail by Gitagal

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2013
8:15 PM

Post #9426178

Wow, look at all those plants - give me a jungle any day!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
7:12 AM

Post #9426536

Teri--

Thar's not all...I have them all over the house--anywhere there is a smidge of light and
a horizontal surface to put something on. Just for YOU---Ta-Dahhhh!

1--Plants in another corner in my DR
2--plants by my bed
3--Plants on a bed in my guest room
4--Plants by my side door--unused...
5--Plants on/under my light set-up
etc...etc...

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
8:29 AM

Post #9426659

Those are the kind a wear. I purchase them from a medical supply place wholesale since I only use them once (too much trouble to try and reuse them and they are cheapies that are very thin). Anyhow, I have used them since I bred birds and when I fed the baby birds many times I had to use gloves in order to keep things sanitary. That is when I began using them in the GH also. I hate gardening gloves besides my arthritis in my hands make it difficult to find a pair I can wear and actually get on properly so I can feel what I am doing.

Your house is so beautiful. I wish I could have mine like that, but the room is just not big enough to do that. I have plenty of windows and I would like to have shelves like you have...where did you find them. The ones behind the dining table. They would be perfect for my cuttings to sprout.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9426892

Now is the time for all good Holiday Cactus lovers to give your plants a bath, if they are finished blooming, trim them back and take the cuttings for new plants.

Today I bathed all of my cactus that I was able to do in the house. It is too cold to bathe them outside.
Their were only 13 different hybrids that were finished blooming, so those were the only ones that got trimmed. I got new cuttings from Thor Tenna, Malindi, Peaches N Cream, Zygo x Xmas Flame, Naomi,Polka Dancer, Yellow, Twilight Tangerine, White Christmas, Claudia, Naomi, Christmas Fantasy and Fuchsia. If they all make it after planting, I may have to put an extension on the Greenhouse.

I still have the big ones to trim and bathe but they will have to wait until I can take them outside. They are all so big that I need help to do that.

The Orchid Cactus got trimmed and they were all planted a few days ago.

One thing you need to remember is to be sure the cuttings are free of any disease. Cuttings can be disinfected by a five minute dip in diluted bleach (6.5 fluid ounces Clorox per gallon of water) followed by a thorough rinsing in tap water. Cuttings can be stored for up to three months, and the optimum storage conditions area 50 -59 deg. F and 85-95% relative humidity.

Have a good day and have fun. JB

This message was edited Feb 21, 2013 4:25 PM

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2013
4:06 PM

Post #9427098

JB---

Why do CC's need to be bathed???? Do you do that because you will be taking cuttings?
What do you bathe them in?

Do you think I could take some cuttings from the longer stems of the 6 CC's you sent me?
Still wondering if they may bloom in March--or so.

The little shelves on my DR windows are so vintage. I think I got them ages ago
from one of those, now extinct, catalogs--like Lillian Vernon.
They are white wire--and fold up flat when not hung on the window sash.

1--Here is a close look. See the screw they are hanging from on the middle sash?
They are very handy--just that they are so close to the glass which is very cold in the winter.
I try to keep my CC's on it--but there are a few AV's also.
You are the second person who has asked where i got them. Speedie wanted to know too.

Trying to sow some seeds today. Not getting too much done. Did laundry---called my Insurance--
sitting on hold for 20 minutes! Had something to eat...etc...

2--The shelf I have all along the LR window I put up myself. It goes the full length of all 3 windows.
It is a board I painted white and put it on some pretty supports. Also very cold there for plants.
Oh well--they all seem to be OK--just nothing much is blooming. No Streps--and no AV's!

Gita

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
2:40 AM

Post #9427518

Gita, you are the house plant goddess. I got a chuckle out of the creativeness of using the guest room bed LOL.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
6:24 AM

Post #9427630

Gita, I wash all my houseplants including the CC because they need to breathe too and the house dust, which I have more than you do because of the birds and dog and being on a farm with the windows open, etc.
In the winter months, early spring when it is too cold to take them on the deck, I merely put mine in the sink (Not submerged in water) just holding them in the pot sideways and spray from the bottom up under and on the top of their leaves. It also gives you an opportunity to see if the mealy bug are showing up. I found none yesterday...Yahoo.!

Many people do not bother to do that, but I have always done it since if you think about it, mother nature rains on plants and washes them off when they are outside, so I am sure the plants inside need a bathe too. The plants in the Greenhouse get washed off when they get watered not misted.

I would not be cutting the new plants too soon if you want them to bloom. Give them an opportunity to grow a bit because you only want to take mature segments for cuttings or they will not grow as well.

Thanks for the shelf info. I need to start looking online for something like that for my new babies. You need to send me a list of the ones I sent you one of these days, or at least tell me the ones I have mentioned I cut and if you do not have any of them, let me know and I will send you whatever you do not have.

Off to chiropractor. be back later if I forgot anything, let me know. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2013
11:54 AM

Post #9427978

JB--

You sent me:
--Zygo Yantra
--Zygo White Christmas
--Orange Christmas cactus (Thanksgiving C,--not Christmas)..
--Peaches and Cream
--Twilight Tangerine
--Yellow Zygo.

Can't wait to see them bloom!
And--if you send me more--you can just send me rooted cuttings. No need to
send potted plants...even though that is nice to get ...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2013
1:09 PM

Post #9436674

Just finished planting 87 new cuttings of all species of Holiday Cactus. That is all there is now. I still have 6 more plants to cut but they are still blooming. If they all grow it will be a miracle because of this crazy weather and humidity. If the sun would come out and stay it would be easier. As it is, it is too cold to open the vents when the sun is out with this very cold wind. Sorry, I will stop moaning now.

I also started three little AV leaves from a plant my daughter gave me, using the method by Jill Nicolaus African Violets 101. I started one in each type medium she said people have luck with. Also have them in a closed plastic container like a little greenhouse with holes in it. Now we will see. I can only pray.

I am tired and it is time to feed my inside flock and Charle my darling Cavilier King Charles Spaniel who is hovering for something to eat also. And, it is 5 o'clock somewhere and wine time. Hugs to all JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2013
5:30 PM

Post #9444261

JB--

Here is my new bloomer. This is one of the "stolen" babies from 2 years ago.

How would you describe this color?
I would say---Soft to medium pink over a white base...How about YOU?

Here are some pictures. From bud to bloom...Do you have one like this????

**The last picture id of a different CC. The usual fuchsia and white that bloomed earlier.
This also on a 2yr. old "baby"...Looks like just ONE bloom per plant
JB--I am LABELING them what color they are--so you won't have to fuss with me---

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2013
6:19 PM

Post #9445181

Next evening (today)...

Here is the bloom fully open.
Took a pic from the side and also from the top (the "back" of it).

Wonder if it has a name??? Wanna give it one?????

When this stem is done blooming--I can break off a couple sections
and send it to you...

G.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9445644

Gita that is just beautiful. I would be honored to have it. I wish we knew the name. Which brings me to another issue.

You would think over the years I have been doing this I would have learned the different floral symmetries. Well, I have not and still have to think about it. Why I bring it up is that when I go to the Cactusguide.com for help, those guys know just about all there is to know but they use terms such as radially symmetric and bilaterally symmetric when they speak of the blooms on the Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter cactus.

I have one plant I call Petra's Pink that I was sure was a genuine Christmas cactus as in Schlumbergera x buckleyi .

Then I thought I may have had a russelliana because of the stem...and many russelliana are sold by professionals that are really buckleyi. Anyhow, the ultimate key is that the flowers will be radially symmetrical opposed to the bilateral symmetry of S. truncata (thanksgiving cactus and sold everywhere as Christmas Cactus. When the flower opens fully, according to the CCG the pollen and stamine should have a pink-magenta colour if it is a S. russelliana.

Here is a picture of a Petra's Pink and I am still not sure what to call it other than Petra's Pink. For sure it is a HYBRID. Of course I could say it is anything I want and no one would be the wiser, but without knowing for sure, I can not make myself do that. This is what makes this propagation so much fun. Sometimes very frustrating but more fun than anything . And, we keep on learning every day.

When I saw Gita's pink it reminded me of my dilema trying to ID this pink but her pink is a definite S.truncata because the stems are all pointed. The thing to try and do is find out which Cultivar it is.

Thumbnail by JBerger

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2013
7:40 AM

Post #9445645

BTW, I do know the difference between radially and bilaterally but to look at a Christmas Cactus and decide which it is to me, that is what is confusing. You think of roses, magnolias, etc. that have petals identical in design as being radially symmetric.
Flowers of orchids, and most gesneraids are bilaterally symmetric which means that for every part on the left hand side of the flower, there is a matching part on the right hand side.

I am really too old for all this knowledge to sink in at one time. LOL I should have been doing this when I was in school. LOL

This message was edited Mar 11, 2013 11:11 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9445701

People are bilaterally symmetrical. Cut em down the middle and one half mirrors the other.
Radial tires on a car are radially symmetrical. Everything comes out from the middle the same way alla round.
Hope that helps- but of course I'm fine with not getting upset about it all too. Just recently learned myself about the different kind of symmetry, from your posting links to resources.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2013
9:13 AM

Post #9445795

Oh Sally, that made my day. Off to the outside and hopefully see some sun shining. Later. ♥

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9449694

JB---

I cannot stop taking close-ups of the pink blooming CC. It just seems so perfect!
Like porcelain...

Took 2 more to shoe you. Now it is wilting ...going--going--gone. No other buds on it.
Tell me the best time I can pinch it back? I can remove about 2 nice segment pieces for you.
And--then send those to you.

You know--I still have quite a few of these 2-year old CC's that have not bloomed at all yet.
Is there something I can do to get them to bloom? I do not fertilize a lot--but enough--as it is winter.
Just some AV fertilizer drops...maybe a drop of "Superthrive" in the 1/2 gallon jug of water...
Maybe sometimes a drop or two of "Bio Weed Seaweed" fertilizer I got from "Planet Natural"
about 2 years ago. SO! I bit of this and that...Most of them look pretty healthy.
I am always leery to feed any plants too much--as it is still winter...maybe they are all "resting" ?

OK,, bed time soon. Kind of messed up with the clock changing...

Here's the latest 2 pictures i took of my "Pink Porcelain Doll"...Hey! Maybe i should cal it that!!!...:o)
The second picture looks like it would break if you touched it--SOOO pristine!
Gita

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2013
11:10 AM

Post #9450386

Gita, blooming has so much to do with each plants reactions to light. Do you remember back when we started this thread someone ask about how can we get our CC to bloom. Didn't write out something and we kept it on file? I know I have it somewhere in my files but I just will have to look. Coleup was keeping all those links and info. Where are they filed? Have some things to do so I must be going.
I will look for that info and let you know. JB

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2013
2:43 PM

Post #9450600

JB--
All you have to do is go back to part #5 or Part #4. of this Thread.
I know she listed all your previous posted links all in one place.

The Threads are all linked at the top and bottom. "We came from here"---
or "Here is the link to a new Thread..as this was getting too long..."...

Here you go! it is near the top of this one...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1232158/

You are welcome!!!! Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2013
3:53 PM

Post #9450659

Here are some useful links and info on Holiday Cactus

Our Holiday Cactus Forum Continues to grow. Below are links to our first 4 threads.
Part 1
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1146809/#new
Part 2
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1150081/#new
Part 3
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1227023/#top
Part 4
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1232158/#new

There are three main types of Holiday cactus: Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter. All are called Holiday Cacti but each is slightly different in its parentage, form, flower, bloom time and cultural requirements. Schlumbergera and Zygocactus are one and the same. Breeders from Australia and Canada call them Zygocactus. In the threads here we also call them "schlums", "zygos" or just "cc "s . We also chat about their close relatives, epiphyllums or "epis" for short and other houseplants we love and propagate as for most of us "cc"s are houseplants that spend the summer outdoors.

Identification:

"Recognition and Culture of the Holiday Cacti" by Paul Brunelle
http://cactus.biology.dal.ca/paulS/christmas/christmas.html

"Will the Real CC Please Stand Up?"
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/392/

comparison of leaves
http://cactusepiphytes.pagesperso-orange.fr/z_page_les_cactu...

zygo or schlumbergera?
--http://davesgarden.com/guides/terms/go/2368/

Books:

-Zygocactus (Schlumbergera) A Comprehensive and Practical Guide by Mark Cobia
-http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Cacti-Schlumbergera-Succulent-Research/dp/0951723472/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325856888&sr=8-1

--Christmas Cactus - The Genus Schlumbergera And Its Hybrids by A. J. S. McMillan and J. F. Horobin. http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Cacti-Schlumbergera-Succulen...

-Epiphyllum and Epiphyllum 2 by Frank Supplie
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&...
--Easter Cactus http://cactus-epiphytes.eu/z_page_les_cactus_de_paques_1.htm

Care/Growing of Thanksgiving/Christmas Cactus

Care/Growing of Easter Cactus
http://mattslandscape.com/rhipsalidopsis_info/
http://www.cactuscollection.com/articles/rhipsalidopsis.html

Articles on CC:
http://cactiguide.com/growcacti/
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/381/

http://allthingsplants.com/articles/view/SongofJoy/177/All-a...

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1988-12-10/business/0090...

http://plantsarethestrangestpeople.blogspot.com/2010/08/teas...

Getting CC to bloom:

http:// http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/Indoor/how-to-make-a-christm...

http://www.schlumbergera.org/index.php?cid=81

http://www.rainyside.com/archives/BreedingXmasCactus.html

Pruning and repotting:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/799211/

Propagation

Growing from seed:

http://gardening.stackexchange.com/questions/2649/
can-i-make-my-schlumbergera-truncata-thanksgiving-cactus-produce-seeds.

Helpful Sites

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/contents.htm
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/houseplnts/hpcnt...
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/houseplnts/xmasc...

Commercial Production:

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/hort/landscape/Hcactus.htm
http://extension.umass.edu/floriculture/fact-sheets/commerci...
http://mrec.ifas.ufl.edu/foliage/folnotes/holiday.htm

Societies:

The Cactus and Succulent Society of America http://www.cssainc.org/index.php?Itemid=212&id=213&option=co...

Sources of plants:
http://www.mattslandscape.com/schlumbergera/

video:
http://www.stereo.org.ua/2010/schlumbergera-flower-explodes/

This message was edited Mar 19, 2013 11:21 AM

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2013
8:02 AM

Post #9451195

Wow...all you gotta do is ask. Now, Gita, is the information you wanted in any of these threads or do you want more? Well, you are going to get more. I think this is about as good as it gets.

This is from the commercial guide on Production of Holiday Cacti. The entire guide is printable if any of you want it. This is just how they get the plants to bloom when they want them to.
I keep my stock plants at 70 deg. and some are still blooming and some are budding. I have no problem with darkness because I live alone and go to bed early so they have plenty of darkness when they need it. I hope this explains it in more detail than I could.

Controlled Flowering

Holiday cactus can be scheduled to flower year-round flowering by using controlled flowering. This method requires photoperiod control and maintenance ofgreenhouse temperatures between 60º and 75º F (preferably between 65º and 70º F). During naturally LD (early April to early September in the northern U.S.), flowering can be induced by reducing the hours of daylight to 8 or 9 hours daily (= 16 or 15 hours of continuous darkness, respectively). It is important to maintain SD conditions on a daily basis for at least 3 weeks. Growers should take proper precautions to prevent high temperatures under black cloth; poor and/or uneven budset may occur if the temperature exceeds 75º F during SD. Plants induced to flower at about 65º F nights can be sold with tight buds about 7 weeks after starting SD; the first flowers will open about 8 weeks after starting SD.
Delaying Flowering with Long Days

Many cultivars of holiday cactus tend to flower too early for Christmas sales when grown under natural photoperiods (Table 1). Flowering can be delayed by maintaining plants under LD starting from the first week of September. Night-break lighting with incandescent lamps (about 5-10 footcandles at top of plants from 10 pm to 2 am) will prevent flowering under natural SD. Temperatures must be maintained above 60º and preferably about 65 for LD to be effective. Day-extension lighting (sunset until about 10 pm) will also keep plants vegetative, but night-break lighting is more cost-effective.

Note: Growers considering producing holiday cactus adjacent to poinsettias should be aware that poinsettias require SD for flowering and normal bract coloration, and extraneous light from incandescent lamps may interfere with both processes. Therefore, lighting holiday cactus under black cloth may be required to prevent delayed flowering and/or poor color development of poinsettias.
Irrigation during Flower Induction

Although some growers withhold water from plants in early fall to induce flower bud formation, research has not supported this practice. Water stress during flower induction has been shown to reduce bud set. Plants should not be allowed to shrivel or be overwatered during flower induction treatments.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2013
9:58 AM

Post #9451294

First tiny buds showing on my Easter Cactus.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9451300

THAT IS EXCITING SALLY!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2013
3:28 PM

Post #9451558

Had to go and look at all mine...No buds yet on any of them...:o(
I have 2 bigger pots (doesn't mean the plants are big!) and 8-- 4" clay pots of "offspring" growing.
The "offspring" all came from the Mama bigger pot. No wonder she is lagging behind!
Her arms were all "amputated"...

Last year--the Mama Easter Cactus started blooming, sparsely, while still indoors.
After i took all my plants outside--it bloomed again--much better--in June, I think.

Is yours one of my babies???? Please post a picture when it is in full bloom.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 16, 2013
3:35 PM

Post #9451562

Had to go and look at all mine...No buds yet on any of them...:o(
I have 2 bigger pots (doesn't mean the plants are big!) and 8-- 4" clay pots of "offspring" growing.
The "offspring" all came from the Mama bigger pot. No wonder she is lagging behind!
Her arms were all "amputated"...

Last year--the Mama Easter Cactus started blooming, sparsely, while still indoors.
After i took all my plants outside--it bloomed again--much better--in June, I think.
The "leaves" really plumped up when i took it outside. It was so-so while inside.

Is yours one of my babies???? Please post a picture when it is in full bloom.
I always like to see how mu babies re doing.
G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2013
7:39 PM

Post #9451819

Yes Gita one of your babies. And that is the exact picture you gave me with it. THe buds are just tiny tiny nibs. It lives on my laundry room shelf, where winter is bright and cool. Then it will summer outside in the shade.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2013
2:49 AM

Post #9452000

I have a baby as well! No buds for me, yet.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2013
4:07 AM

Post #9452022

Paul--
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger!
All 8 of my Baby pots show no signs of buds either...

It may be the location...location...NOT so bright and a bit warm.
They all sit on a rack by my unused kitchen door--East exposure.
I DO hope that they will bloom once I get them outside...

G.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9452203

That Easter Cactus is beautiful. Yesterday I got my surprise from my friend in Georgia who works at the Botanical Gardens in Atlanta. I will share what they are as soon as I get them taken care of and marked.
It is so exciting when you get something new and unusual. Have a good day my friends. JB
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9452415

Gita- of course not! Itll happen when it happens.

JB- sounds exciting!! We can't wait.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2013
2:49 PM

Post #9452663

My 'Gita-baby' was given to me spring of 2011 so she's a year older than Paul's

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2013
10:36 AM

Post #9453565

Just got my plants shipped to TX, CA and WV this morning before the snow starts. I stopped at the Farmers Market to see what they had since they opened Friday and mostly it is pansies and violas. It was fun at least looking at the lovely sweet smelling flowers. Of course, they are upset since the weather is going to be so miserable in a few hours.

I opened my envelope of cuttings from my friend in GA and they looked really sad and cold. I unpacked them and layed them out to adjust to the house temperature before doing anything with them. After about 12 hours or more I put them in individual containers with warm peroxide water and left them sit in the window and suck up some light. This morning I looked at them and it is like a miracle, they are hydrating beautifully and look really good compared to how they looked when they arrived. I will no doubt plant them tomorrow and put them in the GH to see how they do. I got two S. Buckleyi...one called "Le Vesuv" the other just called Dark Red, a couple of Campinas Brazil and Sambra Brazil and then there was a pack of about 15 cuttings with no ID at all. What fun that will be to wait and see what I actually have. Gita, you and my friend keep me busy with these little unknown babies. LOL But, I love them.

I had a nice surprise this morning. My red Easter Cactus has buds so I brought it in the house and if it is blooming by Easter it will be the center piece on the table. I bought my daughter a Silvius but it has no buds yet. I bought it for her from Logees a few years ago and it is a beautiful plant and big, but no buds. Not sure why it is not pushing buds. Maybe it needs some feed. ????

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 18, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9453926

JB--

Do Easter cactus also need the short, cool nights to set bloom buds?

My little pots are all sitting by my kitchen door on a shelf. They are, probably,
too young to bloom yet...Growing Ok, though.

My bigger potted EC's are looking a bit sad--seems they always do--and then I put them outside
and the get a lot better and bloom.
They look so sad and dry sometimes--and then I water them lightly, but i also know they
do not like to be watered a whole lot. Wish i would get used to watering things from the bottom...

I am waiting for the spent flower on that pink CC I have been taking pictures of to drop off.
Then I will send you a couple cuttings of it.

How are your AV leaves doing? Have any more of them died off for you?

That's all for now...Gotta go downstairs and finish painting flowers on my HD apron
so i can wear it when i am in Garden. You should see some of the artwork people have on their aprons!!!
Mind boggling--everyone wants to assert themselves as to what they like.
Even the store Manager has colorful aprons...

Stay warm! Gita

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2013
7:52 AM

Post #9454627

Here is an article that may help you with your Easter Cacti:

Rhipsalidopsis
Easter Cacti or Spring Cacti

by Renee O'Connell
Originally published in Garden Compass magazine

Used with permission.

Rhipsalidopsis are commonly known as Easter Cacti or Spring Cacti as they typically flower during April and May. Often confused with Christmas Cacti or Schlumbergera, they are, in fact, similar in appearance but have very different flowers. The flowers of the Rhipsalidopsis are star-shaped, open very flat, and occur in very saturated colors. Rhipsalidopsis are epiphytic cacti, and are considered to be in the same Tribe of cacti that includes Epiphyllums, Rhipsalis, Schlumbergera (Christmas Cacti) and many other epiphytic cacti. In general, most Rhipsalidopsis on today's market are hybrids between two species; Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri (reddish-orange flowers)and Rhipsalidopsis rosea (profuse orchid-colored flowers).

These plants are easily grown, even as houseplants, but to grow Rhipsalidopsis well, it is essential to understand the original habitat. These epiphytic cacti are native to rainforests on the coast of Brazil. In this humid jungle area, these plants hang from tall trees or cliffs. The climate is refreshing, and inhabitants never experience extreme heat nor do they experience frosts. The light is filtered, dappling through the canopy of the trees. As epiphytes, these plants receive perfect drainage, and even though the wet season may bring daily rains, the water runs off rapidly and the plants are never waterlogged.

To emulate these conditions in our situation, the soil should be very porous, lightweight and slightly acidic. Slightly acidity can be provided by addition of peat moss or leaf mold. Plants must have good air circulation. Water thoroughly when soil becomes dry to the touch, but make sure water drains away rapidly. Soils that do not drain well and remain sodden for days or weeks will smother the root systems and encourage certain root diseases. Rhipsalidopsis thrive in temperatures between 70 and 80°F. Plants are happiest when night temperatures are between 55 and 65°F. Excellent as a hanging basket indoors in bright, airy spot or on a sheltered patio in temperate areas. Makes a great Easter centerpiece

There are quite a few good articles about the different cacti on a link called CactusCollection.

I have some beautiful Sunrise Cactus and I am waiting patiently for them to bloom. I raised them from cuttings from a friend in SC.

My AV's are slowing dying. I moved them to a warmer place and hopefully they will survive. If not, I am not going to worry about it. I know I can not raise the darn things and I am not going to sweat over it. Too old for that. JB
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 19, 2013
8:25 AM

Post #9454685

Here is a link for your article JB.
http://www.cactuscollection.com/articles/rhipsalidopsis.html

Hey Gita and Sally and Ruby, any reports on my Easter Cactus babies? Sure haven't seen any Easter Cactus in stores, but Easter is 'early ' this year.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2013
8:59 AM

Post #9454728

That is a good one coleup. Thanks for adding that. Jb

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 19, 2013
9:57 AM

Post #9454787

Judy--

Mine is still all green--but, otherwise, doing OK. hmmm--Just went to look at it--it was bone dry!

Shame on me! Watered it with a drop of Bio feed liquid seaweed in a glass of water.
Need to pay more attention--it looked a bit dessicated...
It is sitting with all my other Easter cactus babies by my E. facing kitchen door.

JB--Thanks for that article! I will copy it out--along with the one Judy posted.

Here's a picture of them all...Judy--yours is the taller one on the left.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 20, 2013
3:56 AM

Post #9455530

My "Thanksgiving" CC is now in full of buds & blooms for Easter. It always blooms 2X year - even when the plant was in PA & then MD.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2013
6:25 AM

Post #9455664

Morning, I found this beauty looking at me yesterday morning. Twilight Tangerine...one of the most beautiful hybrids I have. It is a Schlumbergera Truncata of course.

Gita, I put a picture of your Easter Cactus up on Facebook yesterday just in case anyone says they saw it. I said it was from my friend Gita.

Time to get to work. Jb

Thumbnail by JBerger

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2013
9:44 AM

Post #9455845

The Polka Dancer is blooming again. That thing never stops.

Thumbnail by JBerger

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2013
10:03 AM

Post #9455871

If I'm remembering the German and Polish weddings, polka dancers never stop either! Great name for a great flower.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2013
11:22 AM

Post #9455941

coleup...I think you are correct. ☺ Would it be o.k. if I invited a friend of mine to join the group here since she lives in Montana. She could use the kind of conversation we have on these threads on the Mid Atlantic Forum. I did not want to ask her until I ask someone if the mid atlantic forum was limited to just those of us from the area. I did not think it was possible to restrict thread participation
but I wanted to ask first.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2013

Post #9455970

JB: Of course not!! Come one come all. The more the merrier, more people means more knowledge and experience to share.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2013
12:09 PM

Post #9455991

I thought so, but I just wanted to make sure how everyone felt. I am relatively a newbie to the Mid Atlantic Forums but I find the people here are so different and kind and considerate than on some of the other forums on DG. I been a member for a long time and I have seen some really nasty stuff occur on some threads. I just pray these threads remain above all that. Thanks so much. I know you will love her.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2013
1:03 PM

Post #9456045

I think we MidAtlantic folks try to stay positive.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2013
1:14 PM

Post #9456096

We live that way here. If you don't you will not survive all the stess that comes over the hill. JB

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2013
1:16 PM

Post #9456103

JB, I am looking forward to hearing from your Montana friend. Montana is one of the places that I always thought I'd like to live if things in life were different, although I've never been there. Just conjurs up images of natural beauty and the road less traveled.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9456107

My 21-year old is living on a ranch there, and I can vouch for the extraordinary natural beauty.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2013
2:45 PM

Post #9456197

I will invite her tonight. Thanks.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9456253

Well, JB---

1--Here is an earlier shot of the Easter cactus. It WAS bigger and lusher at one time...
This is from 2006. So--it is older than that...20 yrs. maybe?
Can you believe how long I have had this one?

Same for most of my plants?
My Angel Wing begonia , my big pot of Amaryllis, my Swedish ivy HB.,
my fuchsia CC., etc...ALL are from 2005 or earlier, especially the AW Begonia.
Geez! It must be about 25 years old or more...
Endless propagating is the "secret"...

SO--Let me take you down MY "Memory lane" with some plants.

One group of plants i DO know , exactly, how old they are. All my Epis.
2--Got 3 leaf-cuttings of them all in August 24,2005 from "Kachinagirl" in CA.
3--Purple datura--not so purple back in Aug. 2005 , It has evolves much more purple.
4--Dr, Seusds--Aug. 2005--obviously NOT new that year! Ioo big already. Possibly from 2003.
5--Pregnant onion---2005-9-4. Also--already very well on the way...Add a couple years again.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2013
4:15 PM

Post #9456280

"Memory Lane--continues----with apologies to JB--whose Thread I am digressing on.

1--My "Bob Hope" Camellia--pic, taken May-2006. I think I got it in about 2001.
2--My first and ONLY bloom I have ever had on mt Ric Rac cactus. 2006-June. None since!
3--First year for baby "Maya". Bought her in a 4" pot earlier that year. 2006 June
4--Brazilian Plume flower--2006--August
5--Fuchsia and White CC--Dec, 2005

OK! Not going into 2007. Enough reminiscing...

Wanted you all to know, that have any of these plants, how truly long they have
already lived with me in my home ,my garden and my heart.

Love grows...Gita

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9456306

Gita,
You should see how big my brazilian plume flower is that you gave me at last years spring swap. I can't wait to bring it back outside for the summer and see it bloom. The two brug cuttings from fall get together at Sally's are doing great too.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9456336

Teri--Just don't forget it likes part shade/shade outside!

I did not know that either until last year. Thought anything that blooms so pretty must,
surely, like sun.
Mine is pretty huge too. I am not taking any cuttings this year--I want to see how big it will grow.

Went to take a picture--in the guest bedroom-hence the yellow lighting. It had a small table lamp on.

It sits on the end of a twin bed in my guest room by a semi-bright window- (not NOW--it is 8PM).
It is in a 12" pot and from soil to the tip is 2' tall.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2013
10:01 AM

Post #9459086

Lots of tiny buds on white Easter Cactus from coleup

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2013
11:19 AM

Post #9459149

Here is the old fuchsia blooming her old heart out again. Just love her.

Thumbnail by JBerger

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9459511

Sally--

Booo-Hooo--I don't see anything on my white CC's yet!

I am sure that is because of the "too much light daily" issue.
Even though an under-the-cabinets type of a task light fairly low wattage-
it is a light--and I also have a lot of AV babies under there.

The CC would, probably, like a cooled spot and a shorter light period.
Where is yours, sally?

Will keep looking...G.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2013
6:48 PM

Post #9459572

Cool Sally, maybe your Easter Cactus will actually bloom for Easter! I liked the blooms on that one a lot. You will have to tell us all your secret!

Hey Ruby, how's the momma plant doing any blooms ?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2013
8:50 PM

Post #9459682

I am holding hope for your Rhipsalidopsis easter cactus to bloom. These buds are very tiny.
When frost threatened i moved them to laundry room window shelf. East window and south door adjacent with window. Temp between 50 to 70 i guess. Heat vent is closed but it never gets close to frosty

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
7:54 AM

Post #9459937

I find this year (since Nov. 2012) one of the most interesting since I have been growing Schlumbergera and it is also the most rewarding. Almost every one of the stock plants I have are still blooming. Maybe only one or two, but now the old ones are blooming as well. The large Salmon is just full of blooms and buds again. I can not explain why other than the fact the temperature in the house has not gone higher than 70 degrees most of that time, and the humidity remains about 30 or 40. Whatever it is, they are so happy. This morning I noticed White Christmas has opened a beauty. I only wish I could take pictures that would do them justice. My shots suck. But, you get at least get the idea. Here she is:

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
7:57 AM

Post #9459943

The red Easter Cactus I found in the GH and brought in the house is now showing her stuff. I do hope she blooms for Easter. The White Silvius is not even showing buds but she is at my daughters and does not get as much light as mine does. Mine gets an hour of morning sun each day. Same temperature but less humidity also. All these things do make a difference.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013
8:17 AM

Post #9459967

Your Easter cactus is a good week or two ahead of mine- looks like at least some will be open in a week.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9459992

I thought that too Sally. I will keep you all updated. I would love to use it as a centerpiece on Easter Sunday. (I would clean it up and put a cover on the pot. lol)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
9:23 AM

Post #9460067

JB--

"White Christmas" is one of the CC's you sent me. Can't wait to see her bloom!

The only ones having a bloom or two on them, at this time, are my bigger pot of the fuchsia/white
and one of the "juvenile". salmon CC's. "Juvenile is a 2-year-old cutting. Not a "baby" any more...:o)

JB--Now--just for you and Sally---

Here are my little Gnomes (3"tall), made from pom-poms and felt--boots and "leather" belt and all--hovering
under the watchful eye of their cousin, Hagar, who is fearless and will strike anyone dead with his sword.
Hagar's helmet is made from a silver-sprayed acorn cap...horns from baked Fimo clay.
Sword from a sliver of an aluminum pie pan.
See! All you need is imagination. Work backwards...Know what you want to make-and them think what,
in nature, will look the most like it. Like--in the case of the acorn caps=nice warrior helmets.

The Angel is made from an upside down , white rose. My favorite of all craft's pieces!!.
Hair is a silky yarn--wings are from real feathers. The arms are fluffy pipe-cleaners.
Head is a pearly "grape" found on Christmas picks. My "Rose Angel" is also a tree ornament.
At a craft show I went to last year--I sold each of these for $5 a piece. Inexpensive--I think.

There are many other "little things: I make...Another time...
Gita

The Gmones are X-mas tree ornaments. The Viking is a magnet for your fridge.

ALL the driftwood pieces and pine cones were gathered among the beaches of Latvia--from my trip there
in 2008. I have lots of these.
My plan then WAS to make a nice wall-hanging/mobile from them all, with little pieces of amber
dripping down from all the wood pieces. Like tears...for things lost.

I may still do it--one of these days...seem to never make the time...so years pass...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 24, 2013
9:53 AM

Post #9460115

Gita, your gnomes are so cute and so personally appropriate to you.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
11:06 AM

Post #9460183

OOOOOOOOH I have some of yours...You sent them to me and I adore them. My daughter took my angel because she collects angels and she went wild when she saw your little one. They are just adorable and underpriced for sure.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
3:54 PM

Post #9460477

Well, JB---How much would you charge, or buy them for????

i KNOW I always underestimate my work--as I am NOT a business person.
Also--the TIME it takes for me to make something is never figured into the price...
I only look at the finished product and think how much I would pay for it if I bought it.

G.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9461060

Gita -- You are amazingly productive!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9461102

If I had the time, if I were you, I would put one up on Etsy, eBay, and Pinterest and do a marketing survey. I think I would first look up something similiar on eBay or Amazon. They put one up on the auction to see if anyone bids...then at the same time Etsy I would probably begin with doubling the cost of the matieriels, you never get your time out of things you make so you just come up with an amount for time , and go from there. Maybe you want to start with a higher amount so you can lower them.

Just some rambling thoughts that I usually do before I put up anything in my stores. It varies with each product. I used to sell my needfelting items for $8.00 on up. Depending on how much wool and how much time it took. It is something you do for the love of it, you never make money on it unless it is done full time and with that in mind.

Sorry I can not be more helpful.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2013
12:26 PM

Post #9461503

JB--

Thanks--but no thanks! I really do not want to mess with packaging and mailing anything.
I do not want to have to follow up on who has bid what...just all too time consuming...

What I need to do is get my act together ahead of time to join into a X-mas Craft Show.
Or--find a local connections outlet and just sell privately.
Too bad we cannot do this at HD--I would get fired...;o(

Same here on DG--That is why I just told you all what these went for at the Craft show.
You all know where to reach me...;o) gita

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9510530

JB---

This is by Orchidman1 from the orchid cactus Forum----

Talk about a yellow Holiday Cactus---WOWSA!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1164519/

My salmon CC is also in full bloom right now---It sure ir a real trooper!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9672328

JB---

This Thread was WaYYY back on page #2.

I was wondering if you would like to re-activate this Thread?
Like make a new one--Part #7?? Link it to this one!

It is getting to be THAT season again. Are you up to it?
We have some new people here on the MAF.

Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2013
12:55 PM

Post #9672498

I'm still here :)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 28, 2013
6:42 PM

Post #9672714

Paul--
I know you would be. After all, our first lengthy D-mail exchange was titled
"Thanksgiving Cactus"...

Mine are all doing OK--just hoping they all will bloom. I want to ID all of them for color.
It will be difficult to find a bright indoor space for all of my plants coming in.

Cut back a big stem and took stem cuttings of my Dr. Seuss today.
Just wanted to be ready in case Scott decides to come and get it.
He has been busy with some kind of a gala in the City. They are all involved in
any of the City's functions by decorating all the spaces and City Hall etc with plants.
That is one of their main jobs...grow and maintain plants so the City can use them
any time they need.

He said I should bring it to him--I said "NO WAY!". A big Brug in my Subaru???
When i was there with my Epis--he said he had a truck and could come and get it.

I am still giving him time to do so. He better!!!

Really busy with garden clean-up and cutting things back. Fall IS here...

Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2013
7:28 PM

Post #9709960

Hi Everyone---

First of all--JB asked me to say "HI" to all the MAF Folks. SO! "HI!!!"..
She now resides on the ATP site and will not be posting any more here on DG.
You can go there--chat with her--and ask her any questions re CC's.

We have been communicating a little bit by D-mails. She really loves me--?????
She has been trying really hard to win me over and to go "over there"...
She sent me some links right to her page--and I do get their Newsletter.
I have communicated with her on ATP--but have not gone any further.
It is very different...not familiar enough to cruise around there...but, I DO find it
a lot more colorful, in many ways, than DG. No annual fee either.
Mostly--I think I could contribute a lot of images to their "Plant Files" as I have a lot of
weird plants I am/have been growing. This would earn me "acorns"--which are like
a "monetary" value that you can exchange for other things...

This is a good time of year to resurrect this Thread. CC's are now blooming! Mine are!

Because, this time of year, I find it very hard to locate all my plants indoors so they
will live happily all through winter--it has been hard to find locations for them all.
All my now-blooming (medium) CC's are, once again, on my kitchen counter under
the two task lights. They all seem to like it there.

All the 6 CC's JB sent me (in that BIG box) have, by now, doubled in size and are blooming.
Also--several of my own grown-from-sections CC's are now in bloom.
It is SOOO nice to, finally, see the colors so I can tag them. ...:o)

My NEW favorite ones are a wonderfully, gentle pink kissed with white, that I grew from
broken off sections gathered at Lowes a couple of years ago. Will post pictures!

Please join in here, once again, and share all things that have to do with CC's.
Each of us have, by now, have enough information gleaned from JB's many years of tutoring us
so we can share our successes and failures here once again.
I will,gladly, share all I have learned, and have had success with,to help you out.

Here are pictures of my NOW blooming CC's.

1--My favorite pink ones. SO gentle--the blooms lasted 2 weeks!
2--Close up of one of the blooms of the pink one. From Lowes.
3--JB's "White Christmas" and her "Orange Christmas"--close-up.
4--"White Christmas" whole
5--Close-up of "White Christmas" bloom.

1--

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2013
7:36 PM

Post #9709963

Continued...

1--The "old" Fuchsia and White" we all know...one of the oldest...
2--Some of her blooms-close-up
3--JB's "Peaches and Cream"--close-up
4--Red CC. --from sections at Lowes.
5--Close-up of the Red CC. blooms

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2013
7:45 PM

Post #9709965

More...

1--My Salmon CC. My favorite and best grower/bloomer...of all time.
until the pink one came around. Love both of these--they re strong,
plump sections--and blooms last a long time.
2--Small Salmon blooming. I have many close-us from before!
3--CC's under my task lights right side of my stove
4-- CC's under mu task lights left side of my stove.
5--All my older CC's, now in full bloom, on a plant stand under my LR light
Bad lighting...sorry!!!

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2013
7:46 PM

Post #9709967

I'm here! Wonderful colors Gita. Say hi to JB forme.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2013
7:56 PM

Post #9709975

Paul--I love your reply! "I'm here!!!".
LIke--I am calling out for people we have "lost"...come back to us on this Thread!

You are always "here" just too busy to post a lot. That's OK!
I appreciate that!

Do you have any CC's in bloom to share?

Hugs---G.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2013
12:27 AM

Post #9710071

thanks for updating us. Your CCs are gorgeous. I just don't have that touch with them. Mine are thin leafed already, I just can't keep them plump. And I have no buds even yet.I only have two- in fact one is and maybe both, are Easter cactus.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2013
6:43 AM

Post #9710167

Sally--Not all CC's have a thick, succulent foliage.
The common fuchsia and white one is the worst looking of all.
The "leaves" are thin and limp--and they all hang down in an anemic looking plant.
It is just the way this one is. Is this the one you have?

I will be glad to share some others with you. Maybe one of my, now favorite, pink ones.
I have a couple in smaller pots. JB wants some sections of this one too. I owe her.
She says her pinks always sell out fast.

IF you have Easter cacti--they would not have spikes on their leaves.
The edges would be smooth--and very gently scalloped.

Just FYI--NONE of my many Easter cacti bloomed lat year.
Somehow--they got into a neglected dormancy during the winter, and then
never recover in time to bloom. I need to take better care of these!
The stems and "leaves" get pretty funky during the winter.
I think I forget to water and feed them--totally.

Year before last--the bigger one started blooming while still inside--
and then again when i took them outside. Not profusely--but it bloomed.

1--Here is my droopy CC--the big pot of the fuchsia and white.
2--Some other ones--with droopy foliage
3--Here is one of my bigger pots of Easter cactus. See the "leaves"??
4--A close-up for you of the Easter cactus leaves...smooth as a baby's bottom...
5--April, 2012--the one that started blooming while inside.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9710178

In 2012--"Birder" sent me some small cuttings of the
true Christmas Cactus.

1-- Here is what they looked like in December of that year.

2--Here it is today--Nov. 16, 2013--it has grown nicely--very dainty. small leaves...
Not sure when it will bloom? maybe next year?

3--A close-up of the "leaves" on this one.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2013
4:03 PM

Post #9710513

Gita, I checked. I have one of your pink Easter cacti and a white Easter cactus from coleup, remember when we split that one? I tossed a decrepit 'Christmas' cactus at some point last year. If I have a chance, I think I'd pick the salmon one.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2013
6:15 PM

Post #9710587

My salmon one has the plumpest--fattest leaves" of all of them.
Very robust grower and an amazing bloomer...

I will tag one for you--and it will be yours--whenever we meet again.

As far as JB's CC's--I still have to see her yellow one bloom. It's buds
are opening. Looks nice so far.

G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2013
6:53 PM

Post #9710597

Haha. Mine are blooming too...
:)

Thumbnail by UMD_Terp   Thumbnail by UMD_Terp         

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 16, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9710599

thanks G gal!

looks good Paul

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2013
7:06 PM

Post #9710613

Paul--Did I give you those????

If yes--I am a proud Grandma. G.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2013
10:14 PM

Post #9710709

Yes GG!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9710777

I will tag one of the soft pink ones for you, Paul.
It will cater to your "softer side"---and you know you have one!
That is the beautiful side of YOU!

How did the WS come through summer? I want to know if it will have
any blooms come January/February???

G.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

CatMint20906

CatMint20906
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
5:41 AM

Post #9710829

Beautiful CCs, Gita! What is ATP?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
6:02 AM

Post #9710872

Catmint,

All things plants. It is another forum similar to here.

Thanks Gita!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
6:05 AM

Post #9710878

Gita, I got two small CC cuttings last year, and one is about to bloom!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
6:14 AM

Post #9710882

thanks, Paul. Just took a browse over there. What do you all think of it compared to DG? The thing I like best about DG is our wonderful Mid-Atlantic Forum group!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
6:40 AM

Post #9710910

Catmint: http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-827-dave-whitinger-of-allthingsplants-com

Take a gander and check it out.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
6:54 AM

Post #9710922

I like the personal "Lists" and "Blogs" features on ATP. I've been using the "Lists" feature for on-line tracking of my plants. I've only dabbled with the "Blogs" feature, but really want to do more with it.
http://allthingsplants.com/blogs/view/aspenhill/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9710929

Catmint, the saga of DG …not blaming DW, but ATP includes much of the 'personality' that used to be the original DG. We oldies are extra grateful for the new personalities here!

CatMint20906

CatMint20906
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
7:04 AM

Post #9710932

oooh, sounds like some stories I need to hear someday!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
7:10 AM

Post #9710936

Sally, what's DW?

Aspenhill, I didn't know you had a blog on that site! I love your turtle!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2013
7:17 AM

Post #9710938

Dave Whittinger
Dave started DG 2001 , sold it to another company in maybe 2009 while keeping a place in management, and then got sold out from under himself to the current company . Many people who were longtime DG users went with Dave. It all really highlighted the ''virtual community'' aspect of a website.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9710994

So DW went and started ATP after DG was sold out from under him?

Aspenhill, I love your turtle and the beautiful blooms from your garden!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9710996

These posts will be deleted, we need to tread lightly.

Surely I jest.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9711016

since we are off topic already he he he...

The winter sweet looks good, some die back but I see buds!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

November 17, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9711234

Well, we're off topic with Gita as our new fearless leader…
My wintersweet had one bloom last year, I expect a number this year.

CatMint20906

CatMint20906
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
3:39 PM

Post #9711242

LOL Paul--at least I *hope* it's just LOL! Guess I need to check back periodically to make sure the posts are still there. ;-)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
4:40 PM

Post #9711278

I have not, really, gotten involved in too much at ATP--but I gave looked around
and 'joined"-- It is nice to see DW and his kids in their home when they do the name drawings.
He sure has matured nicely--good looking Dude now. The little boy is adorable...

I DO get their newsletter every week--and that can take you to explore many things...

I like the 'atmosphere" of ATP--more colorful...more personal...just don't know my
way around there. I think I could post a lot of pictures on their Plant Database.
I have and have had so many unusual plants... Earn some "acorns"---ATP currency...

Honestly--DG takes up enough pf my time --I sit here for hours every day.
Cuz i love you all!!!!!! G.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2013
5:14 PM

Post #9711303

Awww. And we love you!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2013
5:36 PM

Post #9713298

Posting this picture to give you all hope--YES! They will bloom--whenever they decide...
It is not something we can dictate...

Baby salmon cuttings--maybe 2 years old (?) still in a yogurt cup.
JB's Yellow CC. It was not in bloom when I posted all the others...

Show us yours! They all must be blooming by now...

G.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2013 9:37 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America