Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: What is this succulent ?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Guzmania2010
Mexico
Mexico

October 9, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9300525

Thumbnail by Guzmania2010
Click the image for an enlarged view.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

October 9, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9300554

Looks like an Echeveria of some sort.
Guzmania2010
Mexico
Mexico

October 9, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9301061

Thank you !!
kandykane1964
Ottawa, IL

October 15, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9306019

looks like "Hens and Chicks" Sorry don't know the latin name. It is like a cactus. DON'T over water! It is great for rock gardens. It can also be grown in containers. They look really cool in those decorative planter with holes all over them that are usually used for strawberry plants. They grow well in sandy soil and are hardy at least to zone 5 where I live. Can be grown indoors also. The large rosette is the mother plant (the hen) the off shoots are the babies (chicks). It is kind of like a spider plant, as that you can take the babies off the mother plant, set them in sandy soil, give some water, and it will sprout roots and grow. Very easy plant to take care of, and you can make more from it :)
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 15, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9306067

I think it looks like one of the smaller echeverias that has been in too much shade and has stretched out, but couldn't even take a guess as to which one as there are so many. The stalk looks too thick for a 'Hen and Chicks', plus their leaves are much closer together and much tighter in the center with more leaves. The only time I've seen a Sempervivums, aka Hens and Chicks', that tall is their flower stalk and it's much thinner than in your picture, although I do have to admit I don't have that much experience with them.

If you post your picture on the Cactus and Succulent Forum, with an added picture looking down from the top , you'll probably get a more exact ID.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America