Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Rhododendrons and Relatives: Anti-desiccant? Is it worth the bother?

Communities > Forums > Rhododendrons and Relatives
bookmark
Forum: Rhododendrons and RelativesReplies: 4, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jasperj
Plainfield, NJ

October 9, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9300773

I have 3 rhods in front of our porch which we planted about 2-3 years ago. Last fall I sprayed each leaf, on both sides (that's not a 10-minute job!) with anti-desiccant to keep the moisture in and protect from drying winter winds.

Is this pain-in-the-neck task really necessary?
-
- Jan in Zone 6, Plainfield NJ
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
4:43 PM

Post #9375666

If the drying winds have caused problems in the past then it sounds like you need to spray but if you are doing it just because, consider not doing it to one of the three and observe what happens thru mid-summer.

I agree with you... it is a super pain in the neck task if one has to do it.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9375690

I agree with luis_pr. Sounds like last year was the first year you did the spray--so what happened to them in the previous years when you didn't apply the anti-dessicant? If you had problems with them then it's probably worth the trouble, but if nothing happened in those years then it may be more trouble than it's worth.
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

January 5, 2013
3:29 PM

Post #9376437

Not only is it labor intensive, but it has to be repeated several times in the Winter because it rubs off especially with snow and ice
arfitz
Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2013
7:17 PM

Post #9454095

You also have to spray several times during the winter because the leaves will shed the film the spray makes on the leaf when it is exposed to weather changes. I do not think the time and materials merit the protection it may give.
Al Fitzburgh

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America