Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: KILLER VINE?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Paul_Robinson
Torrance, CA

October 9, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9301003

This vine rather suddenly appeared, clearing the wall of ivy and philodendron that had been there for years. Along with its appearance the philodendron leaves changed from solid glossy green to variegated as shown at the left of the mystery vine leaves. Those vine leaves are palmate, heavily veined, and smooth edged. The large leaf grows
to 5 x 4". No idea where it came from. I sure hope someone can identify it.

Thumbnail by Paul_Robinson
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Darwiniensis
Darwin
Australia

October 9, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9301049

I see Syngonium podophyllum leaves with some Ivy in the background. I can't actually see any Philodendron in your photo. I think the Syngonium is starting to take off! Like many climbing aroids the size, shape and colour of the leaves changes quite dramatically as the plant becomes bigger, older and more established.
Paul_Robinson
Torrance, CA

October 10, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9301479

Thanks. I agree that the leaves on the left are arrowhead plant.( I do not understand why after about 18 years of heart-shaped glossy green leaves the plant suddenly changed to those variegated leaves)

my primary interest however, are the larger leaves on the left: they bear no resemblance whatever to the arrowhead plant leaves. And why did this plant appear to clear the wall over a larger area of both the arrowhead plant and the ivy? And do it so suddenly? What the heck is that vine???

This message was edited Oct 10, 2012 7:45 AM
Vestia
San Francisco, CA

October 10, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9301576

I agree with Darwiniensis; you have only ivy and Syngonium. The trifoliate leaves are the mature form of the arrowhead.
Paul_Robinson
Torrance, CA

October 10, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9301761

Yhanks very much to you folks

!After a great deal of searching, I finally found a photo of Syngonium podophyllum "Trileaf Wonder that exactly matches my vine.

I still don't understand it taking 18 years to go through all its metamorphoses, nor can I imagine why it cleared even the English ivy from a large area around it on the wall, with both occurring so suddenly! Just another of life's lovely little mysteries, I guess.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America