Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Orchids: Epidendrum tridens

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 3, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ted5310
Brea, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 9, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9301115

Anybody have any info on the this plant? I have looked and find conflicting info. Some say shade only, some say bright light. I picked up this bare root at a recent show and to make a long story short, did not get any idea about light, watering, etc.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 10, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9301571

I do not have E. tridens but I see it comes from Jamaica and Puerto Rico at an elevation of 1000 to 1500 feet. Try to duplicate those conditions if you can. I'm thinking tropical with a good breeze.

Jim
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 10, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9301756

Ted, did you see this? There are a bunch of synonyms you could check. http://www.orchidspecies.com/epitridens.htm
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9304772

E. tridens has a huge range and is very adaptable. It grows anywhere from fields to high up in trees. When an orchid has an extensive range it usually indicates it is tolerant of varying conditions. That is how it adapted to such a range. I'd think the shady location would be preferable for the more tropical and heat intensive exposures, especially if you do not have rigorous air flow like the Caribbean islands. I usually put unknowns in medium strong light and move them up or down as needed.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America