Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: My Toxic, Painful Garden Revisited: pruning considerations: Gardening as a blood sport

Communities > Forums > Article: My Toxic, Painful Garden Revisited: pruning considerations
bookmark
Forum: Article: My Toxic, Painful Garden Revisited: pruning considerationsReplies: 1, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
holly85749
Tucson, AZ

October 10, 2012
12:13 AM

Post #9301236

Palmbob,

I always read your articles, as I love them and learn something every time. Too bad I didn't know you when you were in Tucson.

This article reminded me of all the things I tell myself as I'm working in my yard. Such as, "If you're not bleeding, you're probably not done" and "If you're sticking to the insides of your gloves or shoes, it's time to quit. You lost this round."

I keep a pair of glochid gloves and never touch the outside of them. That means they never quite get put away, but live on the rung of a ladder I seldom use. Pick them up as a pair by pinching from the inside. And my favorite treatment for glochids is to shave whatever body part they're in. Between my fingers? Yeah, I shave there. Pretty often, if the truth be known. I learned from the bad luck of my neighbor, who got a glochid in his eye and ended up in emergency, to hose down those opuntia microdasys before taking a shovel to them, which is my favorite way of cutting them back.

Holly

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9301528

hosing them down sounds like a good idea.. thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: My Toxic, Painful Garden Revisited: pruning considerations Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Ouch. gloria125 0 Oct 3, 2012 6:33 AM
What a huge piece of work! steadycam3 0 Oct 3, 2012 11:00 PM
Great advice! Thanks, love your articles gardenergrow 0 Oct 8, 2012 7:05 AM
Great article Palmbob sherizona 2 Oct 9, 2012 11:58 PM
Where are your loppers? pipeladi 1 Oct 8, 2012 2:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America